OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 06:48:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Midnight Praises  (Read 1012 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: May 13, 2004, 02:44:12 AM »

I recently listened to the Coptic Midnight praises on the internet (http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Midnight_Praises.html), and I was amazed. The chanting is so peaceful and beautiful, it was like heaven on earth!

How old are the Midnight praises? Is it just a Coptic thing, or comon amoung all the NC Churches?

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"The grace of God has appeared..."

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 09:00:09 AM »

The Midnight Praises, if I'm not mistaken, are just the Midnight Office of the Coptic rite, or a part thereof.  As such, every Oriental Orthodox Church has them (even the EO have a Midnight Office...see Fr. John Whiteford's website to see a reader's service version), but they are not identical.  For instance, we have no service exactly like the one you heard, but we have an equivalent, structured differently.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: