OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:47:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantine Exhibit in NYC until July 4th  (Read 1206 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: May 12, 2004, 10:47:58 PM »

Review of the Byzantine Exhibit in NYC:

"The special exhibit on Byzantium, which runs until July 4th, is beyond all description and expectation. It is simply superb! If you have any way of going, you should not miss it. There are materials assembled there from many sources, of which the articles from St. Catherine's Monastery (yes, on Mt. Sinai) were the most compelling to me. Unusual articles, too, such as a very "Western" looking chalice from the aforementioned St. Catherine's that was a gift from the King of France (I have forgotten which one). Did you know that there is a mosque within the walls of St. Catherine's? Many, many special things to see; vestments, epitaphia, epitrachelia; icons galore (of course), even some unusual coptic and Armenian items that are just stunning -- their illuminated manuscripts rival anything in the West that I was familiar with.

Just watching and listening to the visitors in the galleries was an experience. People had come from all over to see this exhibit. I heard many languages being spoken, many of which I did not recognize -- and in such a setting, it was reminiscent of the day of Holy Pentecost (Acts of the Holy Apostles, Chapter 2)."

I was wondering if anyone on the east coast would want to make a day trip into NYC to see this?

Niki and I want to go and it might be nice if we could meet up with some of you who live up around there.

Possible? Maybe in conjunction with SummerFest?
Edwin

Place Personal Text Here

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 12:43:01 AM »

I've been wanting to go. I live in northern New Jersey and would love to meet some of you in person.

Anastasios, you're in NY, right?

Edwin

NULL
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 12:45:32 AM »

I might be going with some folks from my parish, but from the looks of it, this would make a great summerfest destination for anyone who is willing to endure the wiles and snares of New York City Tongue.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 09:08:15 AM »

One of the reasons I wanted to have SummerFest in NY (not NYC, but the burbs) was because of this.  Regardless of where SummerFest is going to be, I am planning on seeing this exhibition before it is over, and so if anyone else wants to go, I'm game, just let me know in time so I can arrange a Saturday off.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 09:08:45 AM »

Anastasios, you're in NY, right?

Don't forget me, I've been in NY forever.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 09:42:40 AM »

TomS, I'd definately be interested in going... let me know when you guys plan to go.  My parents are going this weekend.  Is it pretty much the same one that was at the Met several years ago?  I remember that one was absolutely awesome.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: