OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:44:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: begining of Lent  (Read 498 times) Average Rating: 0
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »

Why is there different start times for lent?

Mathe 24:36
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »

I think it's because the Orthodox do not count the Sundays and Saturdays in  the number of 40, but the Catholics count the Saturdays or something like that.
The Ambrosian rite only starts Lent this coming Monday, after the Sunday called "in capite Quadragesimae", "at the head of Lent".

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »

I don't know, but if you count from clean monday to the friday before Lazarus Saturday, it adds up to 40 days, which is not counting Lazarus Saturday, Palm Sunday, or Holy week.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »

The Orthodox do not count Lazarus Saturday, Entrance to Jerusalem Sunday and Holy Week into the Great Lent. Catholics do not count Holy Week only so the RCC begins Lent 2 days later (Wednesday instead of Monday).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:23:54 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »

I don't know, but if you count from clean monday to the friday before Lazarus Saturday, it adds up to 40 days, which is not counting Lazarus Saturday, Palm Sunday, or Holy week.
Yeah, the Great Week is not counted in the number of the forty.
I might have been said a stupid thing when I excluded the Sundays and the Saturdays from the number of 40 though. I do not know. I guess 40 is a relative thing and more of an ideal realized differently in the various rites.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »

Yeah, the Great Week is not counted in the number of the forty.
I might have been said a stupid thing when I excluded the Sundays and the Saturdays from the number of 40 though. I do not know. I guess 40 is a relative thing and more of an ideal realized differently in the various rites.

I just counted the days on the calendar. While the 40 days that I counted would include saturdays and sundays, the icon calendar that I have calls for wine and oil on saturdays and sundays so that they are not kept as strictly as week days.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »

I've read that, in much of the Orthodox West, before the schism, Lent used to begin on Monday, but then it was changed to Ash Wednesday, and the clergy fasted Monday and Tuesday.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: