Author Topic: Exorcism Books  (Read 1453 times)

Offline The Anti-Nietzsche

Exorcism Books
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
I've read some books about exorcism from a Catholic perspective.  Are there any from an Orthodox perspective?  And why, you might ask am I so interested in exorcism?  Well, it's not because I think demons can teach me anything good.  Mainly, I'm really big on learning about discernment.  So, also, if there are any recommendations of books on discernemnt by Orthodox people, feel free to suggest those as well.  Thanks.

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
Re: Exorcism Books
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
I'm not aware of much literature about sacramental exorcism. In ROman Catholicism, the subject has seemed to take on a life of its own, due to horror films and having the subject sensationalized and thrust to the fore. The subject of demonic possession is kept fairly under wraps, I think, because it is a very serious matter, uncommon, and very few people are equipped to deal with it. We must be careful not to turn it into entertainment, which can even happen under the guise of learning if we're not careful.

At the Threshold of Fiery Gehenna by the late Bishop Alexander (Mileant) of Buenos Aires gives a good overview. The Lives of the Desert Fathers has a fair amount of stuff relating to demons, as do writings about the Jesus Prayer.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:51:04 AM by bogdan »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »
A few facts & observations:

1) The oldest exorcism rite are the prayers of Ss. Basil and John Chrysostom found in the Evchologion.

2) The Roman Rite was not finalized until the 1600's, and during the Middle Ages exorcists used their own prayers.

3) The West has more of a tradition of writing books on the topic, since exorcists with successful ministries often wanted to share their prayers with their collegues.  In some cases, they included backround information and tips.

4) The Orthodox Church does not recognize the Office of Exorcist as a special 'faculty' the way the Church of Rome does.  Instead, all priests are considered to have the right to perform exorcisms.  Hence, it was a topic (until the modern scholastic emphasis in clerical training) covered in priestly developmentprior to ordination and not a topic for a book for later dissemination.

5) Traditionally, exorcisms of the severe variety are handled in monasteries.  However, I have encountered a number of parish priests who have also engaged in minor and major exorcisms.

6) The tradition of House Blessings at Theophany is a type of exorcism.  There is an exorcism at the beginning of the Rite of Baptism, but it is a very 'mild' variety which could be thought of as a 'test' to see if there is a deeper problem. 

7) The practical aspects of exorcism in both East and West are virtually indistinguishable.

8 ) The only reliable books are by Frs. Fortea and Amorth.  There are some others out there, but hey are a bit dodgy.  The book by Fr. Euteneuer has been officially suppressed by the RCC due to Fr. Tom's recent and unfortunate fall.  Those who know him are deeply grieved, and attribute his fall to the demonic attack he experienced while engaging in this ministry.

9) It is a spiritually dangerous work for those priests who are not vigilant and who are lazy (like me!).  One does well to avoid the topic and focus on one's own spiritual development.  If you have a problem, take it to your priest.

10) There are Orthodox clergy who have experience in this matter, and generally priests can find them by asking their bishop if they don't know an experienced priest themselves.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:23 AM »
Every year, on St. Basil's day (January 1) the priest would publicly read the St. Basil's exorcisms at the end of the liturgy. That was back in Romania. I haven't seen it it in the USA.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."