OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 03:03:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As an Orthodox Christian, what "faith" is the most evil to you & why?  (Read 3709 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »

It's one day into Lent for you, and already we have a good "I thank thee, Lord, like I am not like someone else" thread going.

I completely disagree.  I didn't see this as a triumphalistic thread (though Lord, have mercy upon us if it is).  You see, identifying potholes doesn't make me the best driver on the road, rather, it allows me to help other drivers by pointing them out.  By the same token, identifying and discussing dangerous and subversive religions will help inform others understand themselves better as well as the dangers in making bad choices.  Clown liturgies, lesbian bishops and priests, the Reformation, etc... These are all attacks on Christianity that must be discussed.  

Good post.

(Save that I don't necessarily entirely agree with the lesbian bishops and priests comment.)

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »

I would have to say those that worship the Devil.  The Moslems and the Jews are trying to worship God, but they are in error.  The same could be said of other religions.  However, what could be more evil than those that not only reject God, but choose to worship Satan instead?

I wonder how many of them actually worship the evil one or are just atheists who just wanted to add extra insult to their God-mocking ways?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:24 PM »

Must they be discussed now? Shouldn't we in Lent be concentrating on what we are doing wrong, and cleaning up our own act?

It's not for me to decide when is or isn't the best time to discuss something.  You've got a good point about maybe this isn't the best time to discuss this particular subject, but can we be sure it isn't a good time?  Part of "cleaning up our own act" is performing a self-assessment of our beliefs and behaviors.  What if one of us were admiring a particular religion that goes contrary to true Christianity and, by reading this thread, it brought us back to reality and caused us to repent?  I've read over and over that in Orthodoxy there are no accidents and that everything happens by God's Providence.  This could be a trap set by Satan, but it could be a wake-up for those who are 'dazzled by destroying heresies.'     

I'm agreeing with you on this one. Addressing false doctrines is part of "cleaning up our act".

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »

An Orthodox Priest fallen astray scares me the most.  This is because I can recognize the falsity of other religions but my respect and love for an Orthodox Priest would probably cause me to give whatever evil he is spouting the benefit of the doubt possibly destroying my own soul.  This is not to say I have ever experienced this, just this is the only way my faith could seriously be threatened by someone else.

After this Atheists scare me the next most because I cannot understand where they are coming from.  It is natural to fear what you cannot understand.  At least with other religions I can see that they feel the same way about their god that I do about our own Lord.  But to have no god at all?

Ahh so true! I have experienced this with an Orthodox clergy myself and I thank God for changing my course.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,  I just wanted to add that I didn't mean to sound contentious or argumentative (is that redundant?)  If I came across that way, I apologize.  Undecided

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »

I would have to say those that worship the Devil.  The Moslems and the Jews are trying to worship God, but they are in error.  The same could be said of other religions.  However, what could be more evil than those that not only reject God, but choose to worship Satan instead?

I wonder how many of them actually worship the evil one or are just atheists who just wanted to add extra insult to their God-mocking ways?
It's like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or whatever that is.

SO annoying (at the very least). When I was in college, people would make references like "God, Allah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whatever" in class.  Roll Eyes What a mockery, comparing some Internet meme to religions with rich traditions and millions of adherents. Ugh.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »

Judaism. This Pharisaical perversion of the faith of the Hebrews is nothing short of the worship of Satan. While awaiting the coming of the "messiah" (i.e. the anti-Christ), the Jews have exalted themselves over the gentiles to the point of dehumanization. This grotesque level of nationalistic pride has led many to the hatred gentiles - in fact certain members of the Jewish elite now plot world domination to both destroy Christianity and enslave the "goyim". It teaches men to hate and lie when appropriate. This is not even mentioning some of the more sickening occurrences. One need not look too deep into history to see the numerous cases of human sacrifice (as in the case of St. Gavriil of Belostok). It is a religion of darkness.

Of all the religions of the world, Judaism poses the greatest threat to both mankind and Church. The Jews will ultimately bring about the final persecution of the Church as they usher in the anti-Christ. As Orthodox Christians, we should pray for their conversion to the Truth. Let all abandon this religion of death.

This was a pretty good post.

Indeed, it's some time since I've heard the Blood libel position dredged up. Although in fairness it has an inglorious history in the Catholic Church also of course... sadly

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »

Judaism. This Pharisaical perversion of the faith of the Hebrews is nothing short of the worship of Satan. While awaiting the coming of the "messiah" (i.e. the anti-Christ), the Jews have exalted themselves over the gentiles to the point of dehumanization. This grotesque level of nationalistic pride has led many to the hatred gentiles - in fact certain members of the Jewish elite now plot world domination to both destroy Christianity and enslave the "goyim". It teaches men to hate and lie when appropriate. This is not even mentioning some of the more sickening occurrences. One need not look too deep into history to see the numerous cases of human sacrifice (as in the case of St. Gavriil of Belostok). It is a religion of darkness.

Of all the religions of the world, Judaism poses the greatest threat to both mankind and Church. The Jews will ultimately bring about the final persecution of the Church as they usher in the anti-Christ. As Orthodox Christians, we should pray for their conversion to the Truth. Let all abandon this religion of death.

This is one of the most offensive postings I have read on a Christian forum in a very long time.  But this entire thread is an embarrassment. 

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »

This is one of the most offensive postings I have read on a Christian forum in a very long time.  But this entire thread is an embarrassment. 
Offensive? St. John Chrysostom is 10x more brutal on the Jews, as is St. Gregory of Nyssa (and many others for that matter). My comment is not offensive, rather it is patristic.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »

Thread locked pending further review

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: