OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:08:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As an Orthodox Christian, what "faith" is the most evil to you & why?  (Read 3803 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: March 06, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »

Which faith do you feel is the most evil and dragging the world down to hell?

My opinion there are 2:
Gnosticism - Because it makes YHWH an evil dictator and teaches people to "do their own will" rather than "thy will be done".   This growing "faith" is shown in movies such as "The Matrix" and videos such as Lady Gaga's "Born this way".

Also:
Atheism: Because they "do their own will" and make "God's" of themselves.  Much like Lucifer in Isaiah 14.

I'm curious to get other Orthodox Christian's opinions on what religion or movement is the most threatening to mankind or is dragging society into hell.
Thanks

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »

I would say Islam. Muslims say it is a religion of peace, but actions speak louder than words. I have heard too many Muslims say there will be peace when Islam rules the world. This is not to say that there are no peaceful Muslims, but they are the minority rather than the majority as the media would have you believe.

Second to Islam I would chose Baptist  Grin , just kidding, sorry...

Also, I think there should be a poll listing some religions to chose from, but that might be a large list.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:48:40 PM »

I would say episcopalians and southern baptists;)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:51:28 PM »

Using the broad definition of "faith," my vote is for Materialism, as it's permeated both the religious and secular.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:25 PM »

Mormonism. The pride these people have is incredible.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:08:12 AM »

Judaism. This Pharisaical perversion of the faith of the Hebrews is nothing short of the worship of Satan. While awaiting the coming of the "messiah" (i.e. the anti-Christ), the Jews have exalted themselves over the gentiles to the point of dehumanization. This grotesque level of nationalistic pride has led many to the hatred gentiles - in fact certain members of the Jewish elite now plot world domination to both destroy Christianity and enslave the "goyim". It teaches men to hate and lie when appropriate. This is not even mentioning some of the more sickening occurrences. One need not look too deep into history to see the numerous cases of human sacrifice (as in the case of St. Gavriil of Belostok). It is a religion of darkness.

Of all the religions of the world, Judaism poses the greatest threat to both mankind and Church. The Jews will ultimately bring about the final persecution of the Church as they usher in the anti-Christ. As Orthodox Christians, we should pray for their conversion to the Truth. Let all abandon this religion of death.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:18:20 AM »

Judaism. This Pharisaical perversion of the faith of the Hebrews is nothing short of the worship of Satan. While awaiting the coming of the "messiah" (i.e. the anti-Christ), the Jews have exalted themselves over the gentiles to the point of dehumanization. This grotesque level of nationalistic pride has led many to the hatred gentiles - in fact certain members of the Jewish elite now plot world domination to both destroy Christianity and enslave the "goyim". It teaches men to hate and lie when appropriate. This is not even mentioning some of the more sickening occurrences. One need not look too deep into history to see the numerous cases of human sacrifice (as in the case of St. Gavriil of Belostok). It is a religion of darkness.

Of all the religions of the world, Judaism poses the greatest threat to both mankind and Church. The Jews will ultimately bring about the final persecution of the Church as they usher in the anti-Christ. As Orthodox Christians, we should pray for their conversion to the Truth. Let all abandon this religion of death.

But of course this would all be anti-semitic. Isn't that so convenient for them to hide under that phrase.

Yes Zionism is a big threat, and you also have alot of Protestants supporting it as well.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »

All Evangelical Churches. No one better deceive people that they are real Christians.
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:37:03 AM »

Talmudism (Judaism).

Hands down.

What other "Faith" in the world expressly derides Jesus Christ and His mother?

Talmud says Mary was a whore and that Jesus is a bastard and a sorcerer Who performed magic with His member.

Talmud says that Jesus' father was a Roman soldier and that He is in Hell, boiling in a vat of semen.

May God forgive me for even repeating their filth on OC.net... but there really is no contest here.

They also call for the New Testament to be burned and indeed for the death of Christians.

As the New Testament affirms, Pharisaism (Talmudic 'Judaism') is a synagogue of Satan.

Lord have mercy on them!

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:45:31 AM »

It's one day into Lent for you, and already we have a good "I thank thee, Lord, like I am not like someone else" thread going. Really, the religion of most danger to Orthodox Christians is that of other Orthodox Christians-- or perhaps one's own faith.

Not that you should ever have anything to do with any Episcopalians, especially since their Lent doesn't start until tomorrow, the slackers.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:45:58 AM by Keble » Logged
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:24:49 AM »

I used to think it was Islam. But if this is how Christians deride others ("for thier own good of course"), I'll have to reevalute that conclusion.  Have a fruitful season of repentence everyone.

Proverbs 22:7
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »

The most evil faith IMHO

1-Islam
2-Islam
3-Islam

4-Witchcraft/Church of Satan
5-Jehovah's Witnesses
6-Mormonism
7-New Age
8-Extreme/fundamentalist forms of Reformed Churches
9-Gnosticism
10-Atheism

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 11:09:40 AM »

I would say Islam & militant secularism (& its variants like communism, fascism etc.) but the disposition of ill will (as opposed to good) beginning in my own conscience is the ultimate.

Antiochian OC N.A.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »

It's one day into Lent for you, and already we have a good "I thank thee, Lord, like I am not like someone else" thread going. Really, the religion of most danger to Orthodox Christians is that of other Orthodox Christians-- or perhaps one's own faith.

Not that you should ever have anything to do with any Episcopalians, especially since their Lent doesn't start until tomorrow, the slackers.  Wink

Amen. x3
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 11:47:24 AM »

Amen. x3

Make that x6.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »

Not that you should ever have anything to do with any Episcopalians, especially since their Lent doesn't start until tomorrow, the slackers.  Wink
Amen. x3
Make that x6.

Agreed.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
David Garner
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »

Not that you should ever have anything to do with any Episcopalians, especially since their Lent doesn't start until tomorrow, the slackers.  Wink
Amen. x3
Make that x6.

Agreed.

x24, then.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »

Islam would be Doing Orthodox and Protestant Christianity a Great Favor
By Getting Rid Of..... police

Popes  ,Vatican , Roman Catholicism, Franciscans ,Jesuits  Orders.......  Grin
Evil to the Core....History speaks Volumes, A Real Blight on the World....  Angry
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:13:46 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 02:10:38 PM »

I would have to say those that worship the Devil.  The Moslems and the Jews are trying to worship God, but they are in error.  The same could be said of other religions.  However, what could be more evil than those that not only reject God, but choose to worship Satan instead?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »

Evil to the Core....History speaks Volumes, A Real Blight on the World....  Angry

God save us and protect us from the zealots and misguided who would urge such a thing. Do you honestly think that Jihadists see any separation between Christian denominations?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 02:32:08 PM »

Holy Orthodoxy Did Just Fine Living Amongst Islam ....
It was The Evil Western Catholics so Called Christians And there Atrocities,
That Created The Hate and mistrust,and soured the relationship, Between Holy Orthodoxy And Islam...... police

Yes I blame the Evil Popes ,Vatican, For it ...I can Only Hope and Pray they cease to be..... police
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:39:57 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »

I would have to say those that worship the Devil.  The Moslems and the Jews are trying to worship God, but they are in error.  The same could be said of other religions.  However, what could be more evil than those that not only reject God, but choose to worship Satan instead?
I agree.

I refuse to name a "more evil" or "most evil" religion, but I did want to add my two cents on this post. I have studied Islam and I've had Muslim and Jewish friends throughout my life. Now, I am not 'seduced' by any aspects of their faith and I still wholeheartedly believe that Christianity is the true faith, but they worship one God and I have had many amazing discussions about God with them and I believe that they are sincere in their pursuit of God. Mistaken and in the wrong faith, yes, but anyway, that's not the point. Wouldn't someone who rejects the existence of God present more of a problem?

And I love the Arabic phrase "enshallah," (as God wills it, if it's God's will, there are a ton of ways to translate the phrase for colloquial English) and I wish we used it the way that some Arabs do, when in describing any future action. Because really, we don't know if we have a tomorrow unless God wills it!

Of course there are evil people professing to practice Judaism and Islam (and Christianity for that matter), but I have a hard time naming them the most "evil" of the faiths. Actually, I have a hard time contemplating that there's a scale of evil, more evil, and less evil. Does God have a chart, rating them from 1 to 10 on the most evil list?

"Well, Mormonism is only a 3 and he DID call Jesus Lord and Savior and his heart is there...so I guess he can get into Heaven. Set him straight before he comes in though, okay?"

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »

Some of the comments above are awful, my wife is Russian Orthodox but her late grandfather was Jewish and she saw the comments about the Jews here and noticeably cringed.. I was appalled by them also I have to say. Especially to see someone claiming to be a fellow Irishman making such disgraceful comments. The comments about Catholics ,well I've heard just as foolish and misguided remarks made by some on 'my side' abou the Orthodox so they make me more sad than anything else.

As the poet Tagore said:-

Bigotry tries to keep truth safe in its hand
With a grip that kills it.

It's a quote I've used numerous times but I feel it's still worthwhile. The Protestant gent who pointed out this is not a good thread during Lent was right. We are all prone to bigotry and prejudice if we examine ourselves carefully, me included but some of the comments thus far would just make me hang my head in shame as a Christian.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »

Freemasonry! It is the ultimate worship of the devil. You must admit there is a God, but you can not define him. Slowly that is turned to worshiping the devil. The WCC is a freemason organization and I hope the Orthodox who participate will abandon it. That want to unite all religions into one religion; worship of satan.

And liberalism/environmentalism. Hypocritical to no end. A group that preaches a religion but refuses to accept a God.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »

Any faith that rejects the Holy Trinity, is not of God. 

They may think they are praying to God, but, they are not. 

God has revealed Himself to mankind, and all the world (except for some very isolated pockets) has heard the Good News.  It's up to them to open their hearts and accept it.

"Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’  Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"  (Matthew 7:22-23)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »

And I love the Arabic phrase "enshallah," (as God wills it, if it's God's will, there are a ton of ways to translate the phrase for colloquial English) and I wish we used it the way that some Arabs do, when in describing any future action. Because really, we don't know if we have a tomorrow unless God wills it!

Ukrainians also use this phrase.  Day Boje!  Дай Боже!

We say it all the time.  "I'll see you tomorrow, Дай Боже!"    "Дай Боже, that we get there safely!"  ...

(....I love your avatar, IsmiLiora!)   Wink 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:03:56 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »

Modernist "Christianity", I believe, does the most violence to the Gospel. Wolves are wolves, but wolves who dress up like lambs are worse.

http://www.youtube.com/user/uccvideos#p/u/0/l8rzSYvWH8A
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »

I agree.

I refuse to name a "more evil" or "most evil" religion, but I did want to add my two cents on this post. I have studied Islam and I've had Muslim and Jewish friends throughout my life. Now, I am not 'seduced' by any aspects of their faith and I still wholeheartedly believe that Christianity is the true faith, but they worship one God and I have had many amazing discussions about God with them and I believe that they are sincere in their pursuit of God. Mistaken and in the wrong faith, yes, but anyway, that's not the point. Wouldn't someone who rejects the existence of God present more of a problem?

Of course there are evil people professing to practice Judaism and Islam (and Christianity for that matter), but I have a hard time naming them the most "evil" of the faiths. Actually, I have a hard time contemplating that there's a scale of evil, more evil, and less evil. Does God have a chart, rating them from 1 to 10 on the most evil list?

"Well, Mormonism is only a 3 and he DID call Jesus Lord and Savior and his heart is there...so I guess he can get into Heaven. Set him straight before he comes in though, okay?"

Good words. Thanks to you and others who posted comments like these; you are all right and have shown me my error. I didn't read the other comments when I saw this thread, just jumped at the opportunity to bash freemasonry. That is wrong of me. Lord have mercy! And I apologize to those others who read my comments on this thread.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »

This was a pretty good post.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »

LOL. I was waiting for you to respond like this.  Cheesy

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »

Weren't we all? Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »

Weren't we all? Wink

He was trying to be good for a few weeks, it seems though. Wink
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 03:50:18 PM »

Holy Orthodoxy Did Just Fine Living Amongst Islam ....
It was The Evil Western Catholics so Called Christians And there Atrocities,
That Created The Hate and mistrust,and soured the relationship, Between Holy Orthodoxy And Islam...... police

Yes I blame the Evil Popes ,Vatican, For it ...I can Only Hope and Pray they cease to be..... police

I'm not too sure that the families whose sons were forced into service by the Sultans into the Janissaries under the devshirme would concur.
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »

Popes  ,Vatican , Roman Catholicism, Franciscans ,Jesuits  Orders.......  Grin
Evil to the Core....History speaks Volumes, A Real Blight on the World....  Angry

You remind me of the comments made at one Puritan /PCA board, I think quoting Luther, or Calvin, or both, referring to the Vatican and Islam as two heads of the same beast. Rome = Anti-Christ blah blah blah. Nice bunch of people. I hit this board by accident and was struck by the hate contained in it. The thread was on Pope Benedict affirming something Luther said on works, which gave an excuse for all the anti-Catholics to vent four centuries of once-common Reform complaints about the Vatican.

Without naming names, I felt a great deal of unease reading a number of the views expressed in this thread. It's one thing to wish for the conversion of souls. But if the purpose of this thread was to flush out Glenn Beck-styled conspiracy theories, they are here too.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:53:23 PM by John Larocque » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »

Freemasonry! It is the ultimate worship of the devil. You must admit there is a God, but you can not define him. Slowly that is turned to worshiping the devil. The WCC is a freemason organization and I hope the Orthodox who participate will abandon it. That want to unite all religions into one religion; worship of satan.

And liberalism/environmentalism. Hypocritical to no end. A group that preaches a religion but refuses to accept a God.

Yes... YES!  Agreed.  I change some of my original post.  Many would argue that gnosticism ties in with Freemasonry as well.   Ecumenism is the one world church of the New World Order.  The pope even came out and said that.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »

But if the purpose of this thread was to flush out Glenn Beck-styled conspiracy theories, they are here too.

Wait, you mean that Glenn Beck subscribes to conspiracy theories?!  Shocked

I thought it was THE TRUTH!

Grin

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 05:26:33 PM »

To me the worst religious experience comes from the new age which preaches its subjectivism that ultimately no one is wrong and denies the objective reality of things. This makes it truely hard to dialogue with such people as they are convinced neither is ultimately right but they just believe what they beliee because it makes them happier and this attitude of subjectivism is infecting western culture as a whole.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »

It's one day into Lent for you, and already we have a good "I thank thee, Lord, like I am not like someone else" thread going.

I completely disagree.  I didn't see this as a triumphalistic thread (though Lord, have mercy upon us if it is).  You see, identifying potholes doesn't make me the best driver on the road, rather, it allows me to help other drivers by pointing them out.  By the same token, identifying and discussing dangerous and subversive religions will help inform others understand themselves better as well as the dangers in making bad choices.  Clown liturgies, lesbian bishops and priests, the Reformation, etc... These are all attacks on Christianity that must be discussed.  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »

It's one day into Lent for you, and already we have a good "I thank thee, Lord, like I am not like someone else" thread going.

I completely disagree.  I didn't see this as a triumphalistic thread (though Lord, have mercy upon us if it is).  You see, identifying potholes doesn't make me the best driver on the road, rather, it allows me to help other drivers by pointing them out.  By the same token, identifying and discussing dangerous and subversive religions will help inform others understand themselves better as well as the dangers in making bad choices.  Clown liturgies, lesbian bishops and priests, the Reformation, etc... These are all attacks on Christianity that must be discussed.  

Were you in Church for Sunday Liturgy as we began the Triodon? Did you listen to, not hear, the Gospel readings? How about the prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian this week? What about the Jesus prayer?
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

I would say Baptists are the worst though: they seem such a joyless bunch.
You know the joke : Why do Baptists forbid sex standing? Because it might lead to dancing.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

Must they be discussed now? Shouldn't we in Lent be concentrating on what we are doing wrong, and cleaning up our own act?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »

I completely disagree.  I didn't see this as a triumphalistic thread (though Lord, have mercy upon us if it is).  You see, identifying potholes doesn't make me the best driver on the road, rather, it allows me to help other drivers by pointing them out.  By the same token, identifying and discussing dangerous and subversive religions will help inform others understand themselves better as well as the dangers in making bad choices.  Clown liturgies, lesbian bishops and priests, the Reformation, etc... These are all attacks on Christianity that must be discussed.   

Were you in Church for Sunday Liturgy as we began the Triodon? Did you listen to, not hear, the Gospel readings? How about the prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian this week? What about the Jesus prayer?

Agreed.

Must they be discussed now? Shouldn't we in Lent be concentrating on what we are doing wrong, and cleaning up our own act?

Agreed.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 06:51:26 PM »

Popes  ,Vatican , Roman Catholicism, Franciscans ,Jesuits  Orders.......  Grin
Evil to the Core....History speaks Volumes, A Real Blight on the World....  Angry

You remind me of the comments made at one Puritan /PCA board, I think quoting Luther, or Calvin, or both, referring to the Vatican and Islam as two heads of the same beast. Rome = Anti-Christ blah blah blah. Nice bunch of people. I hit this board by accident and was struck by the hate contained in it. The thread was on Pope Benedict affirming something Luther said on works, which gave an excuse for all the anti-Catholics to vent four centuries of once-common Reform complaints about the Vatican.

Without naming names, I felt a great deal of unease reading a number of the views expressed in this thread. It's one thing to wish for the conversion of souls. But if the purpose of this thread was to flush out Glenn Beck-styled conspiracy theories, they are here too.

To say there is a concerted effort to make evil reign on earth is no conspiracy theory; the devil has been orchestrating it for all of history.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »

It's not for me to decide when is or isn't the best time to discuss something.  You've got a good point about maybe this isn't the best time to discuss this particular subject, but can we be sure it isn't a good time?  Part of "cleaning up our own act" is performing a self-assessment of our beliefs and behaviors.  What if one of us were admiring a particular religion that goes contrary to true Christianity and, by reading this thread, it brought us back to reality and caused us to repent?  I've read over and over that in Orthodoxy there are no accidents and that everything happens by God's Providence.  This could be a trap set by Satan, but it could be a wake-up for those who are 'dazzled by destroying heresies.'  I'm sure you mean well, but if you're genuinely concerned about concentrating on what you're doing wrong and cleaning up your own act, why are you complaining about others' actions?  Seems kinda odd...  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:20:17 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 07:17:46 PM »

An Orthodox Priest fallen astray scares me the most.  This is because I can recognize the falsity of other religions but my respect and love for an Orthodox Priest would probably cause me to give whatever evil he is spouting the benefit of the doubt possibly destroying my own soul.  This is not to say I have ever experienced this, just this is the only way my faith could seriously be threatened by someone else.

After this Atheists scare me the next most because I cannot understand where they are coming from.  It is natural to fear what you cannot understand.  At least with other religions I can see that they feel the same way about their god that I do about our own Lord.  But to have no god at all?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »

Good post.

(Save that I don't necessarily entirely agree with the lesbian bishops and priests comment.)

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »

I wonder how many of them actually worship the evil one or are just atheists who just wanted to add extra insult to their God-mocking ways?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:24 PM »

It's not for me to decide when is or isn't the best time to discuss something.  You've got a good point about maybe this isn't the best time to discuss this particular subject, but can we be sure it isn't a good time?  Part of "cleaning up our own act" is performing a self-assessment of our beliefs and behaviors.  What if one of us were admiring a particular religion that goes contrary to true Christianity and, by reading this thread, it brought us back to reality and caused us to repent?  I've read over and over that in Orthodoxy there are no accidents and that everything happens by God's Providence.  This could be a trap set by Satan, but it could be a wake-up for those who are 'dazzled by destroying heresies.'     

I'm agreeing with you on this one. Addressing false doctrines is part of "cleaning up our act".

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »

An Orthodox Priest fallen astray scares me the most.  This is because I can recognize the falsity of other religions but my respect and love for an Orthodox Priest would probably cause me to give whatever evil he is spouting the benefit of the doubt possibly destroying my own soul.  This is not to say I have ever experienced this, just this is the only way my faith could seriously be threatened by someone else.

After this Atheists scare me the next most because I cannot understand where they are coming from.  It is natural to fear what you cannot understand.  At least with other religions I can see that they feel the same way about their god that I do about our own Lord.  But to have no god at all?

Ahh so true! I have experienced this with an Orthodox clergy myself and I thank God for changing my course.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,  I just wanted to add that I didn't mean to sound contentious or argumentative (is that redundant?)  If I came across that way, I apologize.  Undecided

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »

I wonder how many of them actually worship the evil one or are just atheists who just wanted to add extra insult to their God-mocking ways?
It's like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or whatever that is.

SO annoying (at the very least). When I was in college, people would make references like "God, Allah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whatever" in class.  Roll Eyes What a mockery, comparing some Internet meme to religions with rich traditions and millions of adherents. Ugh.

--
--
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »

This was a pretty good post.

Indeed, it's some time since I've heard the Blood libel position dredged up. Although in fairness it has an inglorious history in the Catholic Church also of course... sadly

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »

This is one of the most offensive postings I have read on a Christian forum in a very long time.  But this entire thread is an embarrassment. 

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »

This is one of the most offensive postings I have read on a Christian forum in a very long time.  But this entire thread is an embarrassment. 
Offensive? St. John Chrysostom is 10x more brutal on the Jews, as is St. Gregory of Nyssa (and many others for that matter). My comment is not offensive, rather it is patristic.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »

Thread locked pending further review

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: