OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:16:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made a Catechumen Today and more  (Read 914 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« on: March 06, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

Today, I was a made Catechumen in the OCA.

Today when I was venerating the Cross, my Priest said you to me, in the last week you really have had a compressed week of Orthodoxy.

I won't expound too much on the moving and touching events of the last week.

But in a week, I witnessed my first Orthodox infant Baptism, Orthodox Funeral, becoming "officially" a catechumen, and the beginning of Lent with the Forgiveness Vespers.

Perhaps after the shutdown I will post a little more on the joys and sorrows, but I just wanted to post a few words.

Between being announced today and the participation of the Forgiveness Vespers, many in the parish whole-heartedly welcomed me.

Thanks to everyone here at OC.net for letting me twist and turn around here.

Please pray for me during this Lenten Season. My "official" catechumenate maybe a very short one.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »

Why will it be a short one?

Lord have mercy.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »

Congrats!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »

Exciting news, Orthonorm, and congrats!  Here's to possibly 'enlisting' around the same time.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »

RE: Aposphet

The reasons would be boring and not of much interest to many who don't know me or the parish I go to, I don't think, and probably not relevant for many folks' experience.

My request for prayer, pretty much follows stuff I've posted on here. I "know" Orthodoxy to be true. Thus my heartfelt desire to be within it and my "fear" of that truth.

The Gospel is scary stuff and in my pride I believe at times God's forgiveness is not great enough for me or I am undeserving or afraid to be honest about my heart. But through participating in the Liturgy, speaking with my Priest, speaking with Fr. Thomas Hopko and talking with other Orthodox folks, a lot of that pride has vanished, although enough remains.

It was felicitous or providential that today was the day I was made a Catechumen and probably not without pastoral consideration by my Priest.

I've spoken much here how the children in the parish have been a Godsend. Today, bowing to a four year old and asking for their forgiveness . . . And being kissed and warmly embraced and told joyfully that "God forgives" by that child who is "more Christian" than I, no matter how many books I've read or theological discussions I've had with Orthodox thirty times his age strikes right to my heart and lifts my vain thoughts and evil imaginations--more powerfully than I can put into words.

Very humbling. I only pray it is not mere sentimentality.

FWIW.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:30:59 AM »

Many years!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:56:51 AM »

May you be counted worthy of illumination and run the good race!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »

RE: Aposphet

The reasons would be boring and not of much interest to many who don't know me or the parish I go to, I don't think, and probably not relevant for many folks' experience.

My request for prayer, pretty much follows stuff I've posted on here. I "know" Orthodoxy to be true. Thus my heartfelt desire to be within it and my "fear" of that truth.

The Gospel is scary stuff and in my pride I believe at times God's forgiveness is not great enough for me or I am undeserving or afraid to be honest about my heart. But through participating in the Liturgy, speaking with my Priest, speaking with Fr. Thomas Hopko and talking with other Orthodox folks, a lot of that pride has vanished, although enough remains.

It was felicitous or providential that today was the day I was made a Catechumen and probably not without pastoral consideration by my Priest.

I've spoken much here how the children in the parish have been a Godsend. Today, bowing to a four year old and asking for their forgiveness . . . And being kissed and warmly embraced and told joyfully that "God forgives" by that child who is "more Christian" than I, no matter how many books I've read or theological discussions I've had with Orthodox thirty times his age strikes right to my heart and lifts my vain thoughts and evil imaginations--more powerfully than I can put into words.

FWIW.

This is absolutely beautiful... Congratulations, and may God be with you delve deep into your relationship with him.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »

welcome, we are watching this space  Smiley
james 4:7 : submit to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »

Today, bowing to a four year old and asking for their forgiveness . . . And being kissed and warmly embraced and told joyfully that "God forgives" by that child who is "more Christian" than I, no matter how many books I've read or theological discussions I've had with Orthodox thirty times his age strikes right to my heart and lifts my vain thoughts and evil imaginations--more powerfully than I can put into words.

FWIW.

Yes, the same thing occurred to me as I was being forgiven and hugged by two little ones on Sunday, as in being like little children and entering the Kingdom of Heaven.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »

Congratulations! Very moving and impressive. Smiley
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »

Very moving indeed. Children can pierce the pride of anyone. Glory be to God!

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: