OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 10:50:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schmemann's use of the word "cult?"  (Read 362 times) Average Rating: 0
Dymmesdale

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Reformed Episcopal Church

« on: March 06, 2011, 08:00:15 AM »

I am a catechumen, converting from Anglicanism, and I was given Fr. Schmemann's book, Introduction to Liturgical Theology. I have really enjoyed it so far, but he is using the word "cult" in a way that I'm not familiar with. He's referring to the ancient practices of the Church in the New Testament and shortly thereafter, and sometimes he seems to be talking about the body of believers, sometimes he seems to be talking about their practices and emerging/evolving liturgy. Can someone clarify his definition of this word? Thanks!
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »

You seem to understand the meaning just fine. He's using the term like all scholars of religion. A religion's "cult" is that which it observes and practices in ritual, ceremony, worship, liturgies, feasts, etc.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags: schmemann  liturgy  cult 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: