OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:17:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Film: The Last Temptation of Christ  (Read 695 times) Average Rating: 0
ipm

Faith: Serbian Eastern Orthodox

« on: March 05, 2011, 02:38:54 AM »

Did anyone see this film? If so what did you think of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Temptation_of_Christ_%28film%29

The Last Temptation of Christ is a 1988 American drama film directed by Martin Scorsese. It is a film adaptation of the controversial 1960 novel of the same name by Nikos Kazantzakis. It stars Willem Dafoe as Jesus Christ, Harvey Keitel as Judas Iscariot, Barbara Hershey as Mary Magdalene, David Bowie as Pontius Pilate, and Harry Dean Stanton as Paul. The film was shot entirely in Morocco.

Like the novel, the film depicts the life of Jesus Christ, and its central thesis is that Jesus, while free from sin, was still subject to every form of temptation that humans face, including fear, doubt, depression, reluctance and lust. This results in the book and film depicting Christ being tempted by imagining himself engaged in sexual activities, a notion that has caused outrage from some Christians. The movie includes a disclaimer explaining that it departs from the commonly-accepted Biblical portrayal of Jesus' life, and that it is not intended to be an exact recreation of the events detailed in the Gospels.

The film received an Academy Award nomination for Martin Scorsese as Best Director. Barbara Hershey's performance as Mary Magdalene earned her a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress nomination.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »

It has a very skewed understanding of temptation.  The way this movie was described to me was that it wasn't merely a temptation, but an actual mindful sinning, or sinning in the mind, which is why it's so controversial.

We don't deny Christ was tempted, but the movie does not know what temptation is.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »

Absolutely correct. What Mina said. Smiley
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »

One of my chief criticsms of the film was that for a story that I am somewhat familiar with, I coudln't follow what was going on.

and if anyone wonders why I saw it: many critics went on about how it has Christ marry Mary Magdalene. Not in and of itself sinful. But, not having seen it, they missed the part where Christ goes and commits adultery with her sister Martha, quite a different thing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »

Christ marry Mary Magdalene. Not in and of itself sinful.

Why would God have a wife?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »

Christ marry Mary Magdalene. Not in and of itself sinful.

Why would God have a wife?

That's a differnt question. I Cor. 7:38.

Btw, He has one-the Church.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:58:53 PM »

Forgot that verse, thanks. And I meant a literal wife in flesh lol.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »

Forgot that verse, thanks. And I meant a literal wife in flesh lol.
The Church is not enfleshed?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »

It has a very skewed understanding of temptation.  The way this movie was described to me was that it wasn't merely a temptation, but an actual mindful sinning, or sinning in the mind, which is why it's so controversial.

We don't deny Christ was tempted, but the movie does not know what temptation is.

It can certainly be viewed that way, but if I remember correctly (I saw this film once about ten years ago), one can also take from it a "what if?" scenario that does not necessarily involve Jesus committing "mindful sinning".  The key moment occurs on the Cross when the Devil, in the form of an angelic looking child, basically plays the role of the Jews and the bad thief and takes their question of, "If You're the Messiah, why don't you save yourself?" to its extreme conclusion.  That moment is, in my mind, the Temptation of the title.  What transpires next is a "What if...?" scenario for the viewer based on that temptation, something that not necessarily happens in Christ's own mind.  It's almost like something the Devil shows Jesus, only the Devil's own fantasy goes awry because of the very Person he is trying to fool; Christ came to save us from our sins by His Death and even the Devil cannot warp that reality.

I think the important point that many religious critics miss is that at the end of the movie Christ chooses death on the Cross willingly.

I wouldn't go so far to say that everyone needs to see this film, but it certainly can be viewed in a more orthodox light than many people are willing to give it credit for.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »

Btw, just so they get credit: thanks to the Orthodox Jews (there may have been others, but not as marked as the Orthodox) who protested the movie because the Christians felt it denigrated thei Christian Faith.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: