Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 2865084 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #9945 on: May 16, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
Yeah, you can attach photos. Just click the "attachments and other options" button at the bottom.

Oh, ok. Thanks.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #9946 on: May 16, 2018, 11:41:25 PM »
And then ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9947 on: May 16, 2018, 11:49:48 PM »
That looks good!
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline PittbullMom

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek, NJ
« Reply #9948 on: May 17, 2018, 02:42:43 AM »
Ok, I can attach on my kindle but not phone

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9949 on: May 17, 2018, 02:47:27 AM »
lol Abp. Sviatoslav Shevchuk looks a lot like former OCnetter Fabio Leite
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9950 on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #9951 on: May 17, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9952 on: May 17, 2018, 06:32:31 PM »
Nice lol.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9953 on: May 17, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
I'm trying to figure out whether or not the logo for Grasshopper phone services is a new Duck-Rabbit.

Maybe the grasshopper's lower "jaw" could be construed as the forelegs of a flea with antennae working for both?

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: In theory RCC; in practice OCA
  • Jurisdiction: "Can't we all just get along?"
« Reply #9954 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:50 PM »
I'm trying to figure out whether or not the logo for Grasshopper phone services is a new Duck-Rabbit.

Maybe the grasshopper's lower "jaw" could be construed as the forelegs of a flea with antennae working for both?

I'm getting green cockatoo.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9955 on: May 18, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »
Yeah! That makes sense!

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #9956 on: May 18, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:39:12 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9957 on: May 18, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
Catholic education, Bronx style. That's a paddling.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9958 on: May 19, 2018, 03:27:48 AM »
A girl told me today her grandpa as a kid was punished by a nun in school by being stuck in a wardrobe. She simply forgot him overnight.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9959 on: May 19, 2018, 04:15:41 AM »
A girl told me today her grandpa as a kid was punished by a nun in school by being stuck in a wardrobe. She simply forgot him overnight.

Catholic children don't get to go to Narnia :(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:16:34 AM by Volnutt »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9960 on: May 19, 2018, 04:49:02 AM »
Catholic children don't get to go to Narnia :(
LOL!

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #9961 on: May 19, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #9962 on: May 19, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
Is this during the Southern Irish war in the 80s? Times were desperate.  :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:51:21 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9963 on: May 19, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9964 on: May 19, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »
No shooting is fun ~ a sport like skiing but not as rough ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9965 on: May 19, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »
No shooting is fun ~ a sport like skiing but not as rough ```

Yeah mean the Biathlon?

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9966 on: May 19, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »
This is the Flag of Armenia and Artsakh that wants very much to be reunited with their historic homeland ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9967 on: May 19, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
Who's Artsakh?

...is she single?

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9968 on: May 19, 2018, 07:48:24 PM »
Quote Ralph Cam :  A girl told me today her grandpa as a kid was punished by a nun in school by being stuck in a wardrobe. She simply forgot him overnight.

I was punished by: Put in a closet ~ not over night ~ but until my sister came to my class ~ wondering why I hadn't come to walk home with her ```

I and another boy had gotten into a fight ~ the nun asked what had happened ~ the other boy said I had hit him ~ I said, I had hit him because he had pinched me ``

the teacher (nun) told the boy to pinch her ~ he pinched her and was allowed to returned to his seat ~ she told me to hit her ~ I said I couldn't ~ I said no ~ I was put into the closet for the rest of the day after everyone had left the school ~ my sister came ~ I was allowed to leave when the nun accepted a tap in place of the hit ~ today I would ~ I think ~ hit her ```

It was terrible at the time ```

All the nuns were great ~ this one was a witch ~ I use to smile all the time ~ and giggle a lot ~ she sat a big  Mexican boy behind me ( I was quite small at the time ) when she gave him the nod, he was to pull my hair until I stopped ```
She gave him the nod ~ he pulled my hair with both hand ~ it was terrible ~ I got hold of his hair ~ we ended up on the floor ~ he could hurt me any more it hurt so bad ~ I pulled his hair until he was screaming ~ with her standing over us telling me to turn loose ~ I didn't until he let go ~ when he grabbed again ~ I pulled again ```

I was kicked out of St Anthony's Catholic School Gardena California ~ she told my mother : I might be able to come back after a certain time ~ I said : " I'll never go back there ~ and I never did ``` Hadn't thought about that for years ```

I went to the valley where the nuns went after St Anthony's hired other teacher ~ to visit my first grade teacher Sister Ann Mariam ~ I loved her ~ we went out for lunch ~ I saw the witch at that school and she saw me ~ what a hateful wretch ```

So many years ago ```

seth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9969 on: May 19, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »
Quote Ralph Cam :  A girl told me today her grandpa as a kid was punished by a nun in school by being stuck in a wardrobe. She simply forgot him overnight.

I was punished by: Put in a closet ~ not over night ~ but until my sister came to my class ~ wondering why I hadn't come to walk home with her ```

I and another boy had gotten into a fight ~ the nun asked what had happened ~ the other boy said I had hit him ~ I said, I had hit him because he had pinched me ``

the teacher (nun) told the boy to pinch her ~ he pinched her and was allowed to returned to his seat ~ she told me to hit her ~ I said I couldn't ~ I said no ~ I was put into the closet for the rest of the day after everyone had left the school ~ my sister came ~ I was allowed to leave when the nun accepted a tap in place of the hit ~ today I would ~ I think ~ hit her ```

It was terrible at the time ```

All the nuns were great ~ this one was a witch ~ I use to smile all the time ~ and giggle a lot ~ she sat a big  Mexican boy behind me ( I was quite small at the time ) when she gave him the nod, he was to pull my hair until I stopped ```
She gave him the nod ~ he pulled my hair with both hand ~ it was terrible ~ I got hold of his hair ~ we ended up on the floor ~ he could hurt me any more it hurt so bad ~ I pulled his hair until he was screaming ~ with her standing over us telling me to turn loose ~ I didn't until he let go ~ when he grabbed again ~ I pulled again ```

I was kicked out of St Anthony's Catholic School Gardena California ~ she told my mother : I might be able to come back after a certain time ~ I said : " I'll never go back there ~ and I never did ``` Hadn't thought about that for years ```

I went to the valley where the nuns went after St Anthony's hired other teacher ~ to visit my first grade teacher Sister Ann Mariam ~ I loved her ~ we went out for lunch ~ I saw the witch at that school and she saw me ~ what a hateful wretch ```

So many years ago ```

seth

What? I can barely even process how bizarre that is. What the...

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9970 on: May 19, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »
Wow, that's hardcore child abuse.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: ruins of Constantinople, Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #9971 on: May 19, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »

I can see a snail with long antennae. But, I'm weird.  :P
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9972 on: May 19, 2018, 09:02:26 PM »

I can see a snail with long antennae. But, I'm weird.  :P

Makes sense to me... the snail, not necessarily you being weird.

But maybe that

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9973 on: May 21, 2018, 11:38:40 AM »
Re: My last post - Mom took me home that day in ~ " Our 1930 Model A Ford coup " When I moved to the Mountains ~ years later ~( to be close to my sister Anne ~ I had two sisters and my brother Johnie ) I brought that Model A ~ It's sitting in the garage below where I am sitting as I type this ``` My Father rebuilt the engine of our "Model A" with me at his side ~ the first engine I ever had part in rebuilding ~ can't tell you how much I miss him ```I am a journeyman Mechanic ~ retired ```

Father told me ( Daddy was born in late 1800s ) he was as a boy at a post office , in the old country, there was a picture on the wall of an automobile ~ he looking at it wondered : What does make that thing go " ~ he was a great mechanic ```

But ~ that's another story ```

seth
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:40:23 AM by Sethrak »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9974 on: May 21, 2018, 03:25:40 PM »
Re: My last post - Mom took me home that day in ~ " Our 1930 Model A Ford coup " When I moved to the Mountains ~ years later ~( to be close to my sister Anne ~ I had two sisters and my brother Johnie ) I brought that Model A ~ It's sitting in the garage below where I am sitting as I type this ``` My Father rebuilt the engine of our "Model A" with me at his side ~ the first engine I ever had part in rebuilding ~ can't tell you how much I miss him ```I am a journeyman Mechanic ~ retired ```

Father told me ( Daddy was born in late 1800s ) he was as a boy at a post office , in the old country, there was a picture on the wall of an automobile ~ he looking at it wondered : What does make that thing go " ~ he was a great mechanic ```

But ~ that's another story ```

seth

If you ever need some money, there's some collectors out there who would love to buy a 1930 Model A that's in good shape.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9975 on: May 21, 2018, 05:16:03 PM »
I can never sell our car ~ I've mama's 66 Buick Riviera ~ youngest daughter told me yesterday ~when I asked if she wanted it forever she said oh yes " I've wanted it forever " ```

I told her of how mama and I ~ traveling ( mama liked speed ~ I would be driving and mama would chuckle and say " How fast are you going " I would look down and that Buick was pegged out at 120 mph ~ but you couldn't feel it in the gray ghost ```I once owned Paint and Metal Arts a paint shop ~ we painted cars ~ my partner was an body and fender artist & I a painter /` I'll paint it wonderfully for her ```

Mama was born in 1900 ) on her folks grape ranch in Yettem , California ~ Yettem means Garden of Eden  ~ well ~ that's another story ```
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:18:41 PM by Sethrak »

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #9976 on: May 21, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »
I can never sell our car ~ I've mama's 66 Buick Riviera ~ youngest daughter told me yesterday ~when I asked if she wanted it forever she said oh yes " I've wanted it forever " ```

I told her of how mama and I ~ traveling ( mama liked speed ~ I would be driving and mama would chuckle and say " How fast are you going " I would look down and that Buick was pegged out at 120 mph ~ but you couldn't feel it in the gray ghost ```I once owned Paint and Metal Arts a paint shop ~ we painted cars ~ my partner was an body and fender artist & I a painter /` I'll paint it wonderfully for her ```

Mama was born in 1900 ) on her folks grape ranch in Yettem , California ~ Yettem means Garden of Eden  ~ well ~ that's another story ```
The world has changed.  The things we use to do years ago would get us locked up today.
Could you imagine a mother going down the interstate at 120 with the kids in the back seat and no seatbelts?
A 12 year old drivin non the less.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:24:49 PM by Tzimis »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9977 on: May 21, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »

I completely understand!

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #9978 on: May 21, 2018, 06:40:51 PM »

It could also be a katydid.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:41:18 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9979 on: May 21, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »
You are correct Tzimis ~ I would never want that ~ I would never condone the hypos you have brought up ~ and yes ~ again you are right there is nowhere driving above 70 can or should be done ~ with the exception of many western highways ~ like 50 the  Loneliest Highway in America ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9980 on: May 21, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »

It could also be a katydid.

Or even an aphid.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Ουρουγουανός
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #9981 on: May 21, 2018, 06:52:16 PM »
Just when you thought the world couldn't get any crazier...

Ugandan Old Believers:

Were they evangelized by Old Believers or did they start out as Canonical?
They were evangelized.

Link: http://www.inafran.ru/en/node/587

I'm impressed that such a small group as the Old Believers has the ability (and the drive) to do missions! Perhaps this puts wealthier churches to shame. I pray that Christ saves many through their efforts.
Me too, seeing how they have become more like the Amish and afraid of outsiders over the last few hundred years. Closer observation also shows this isn't the group under Met. Cornelius who seems to have the biggest Old Believer group in Russia.

I'm a little late but all the same, I'm certain I posted that same photo somewhere on these boards. That parish does indeed belong to the Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church under Met. Cornelius of Moscow.

This blog post names the "founding" priest as Joachim Kiyimba and says that he came from a priestly Anglican family. At some point he joined the Alexandrian Patriarchate before moving on to the Old Calendarist Cyprianite Synod in 1991. He remained there until 1998, when he jumped on to the "Syriac-Greek Antiochian Orthodox Catholic Church in Africa," a vagante jurisdiction by the looks of it. After that, he joined the Genuine Orthodox Church (Kallinikite) in 2000 but seems to have reverted back to the Cyprianites by 2004. By 2007, he had jumped ship again and joined with the Genuine Orthodox Church of America under Gregory of Colorado. In 2013, however, he was recognized as a Protopriest of the Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church.

He reposed in 2015 it seems and was succeeded in his position by his deacon, the now priest Joachim Walusimbi, who was in attendance at the most recent meeting of the Metropolitan Council in Moscow according to the photos in this article, sitting besides Fr. Cyril Amer of Pakistan:

"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9982 on: May 21, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
Test

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9983 on: May 21, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »
Test

Works for me, if you were wondering if people can see it.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9984 on: May 21, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
Our high desert ranch is somewhat away from crowds ```  America is very big and beautiful ~ hope we all get to see more ```

Have a good one Volnutt ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9985 on: May 21, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »
Just when you thought the world couldn't get any crazier...

Ugandan Old Believers:

Were they evangelized by Old Believers or did they start out as Canonical?
They were evangelized.

Link: http://www.inafran.ru/en/node/587

I'm impressed that such a small group as the Old Believers has the ability (and the drive) to do missions! Perhaps this puts wealthier churches to shame. I pray that Christ saves many through their efforts.
Me too, seeing how they have become more like the Amish and afraid of outsiders over the last few hundred years. Closer observation also shows this isn't the group under Met. Cornelius who seems to have the biggest Old Believer group in Russia.

I'm a little late but all the same, I'm certain I posted that same photo somewhere on these boards. That parish does indeed belong to the Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church under Met. Cornelius of Moscow.

This blog post names the "founding" priest as Joachim Kiyimba and says that he came from a priestly Anglican family. At some point he joined the Alexandrian Patriarchate before moving on to the Old Calendarist Cyprianite Synod in 1991. He remained there until 1998, when he jumped on to the "Syriac-Greek Antiochian Orthodox Catholic Church in Africa," a vagante jurisdiction by the looks of it. After that, he joined the Genuine Orthodox Church (Kallinikite) in 2000 but seems to have reverted back to the Cyprianites by 2004. By 2007, he had jumped ship again and joined with the Genuine Orthodox Church of America under Gregory of Colorado. In 2013, however, he was recognized as a Protopriest of the Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church.

I don't know about the "he should have been rebaptized" thing (or maybe he was for all I know), but he sure did seem to have kind of had the trajectory of an unstable, vagante type (memory eternal). I hope the community is on more stable ground now.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9986 on: May 21, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »
Our high desert ranch is somewhat away from crowds ```  America is very big and beautiful ~ hope we all get to see more ```

Have a good one Volnutt ```

Yeah, I wish I could get out and have another road trip soon. Too bad we're so broke lol.

You have a good day, too!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9987 on: May 21, 2018, 07:29:50 PM »
Fr. Cyril Amer of Pakistan
This asks for a whole new post lol

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Ουρουγουανός
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #9988 on: May 21, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »
Fr. Cyril Amer of Pakistan
This asks for a whole new post lol

This thread has some information on his story.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #9989 on: May 21, 2018, 10:58:05 PM »
You are correct Tzimis ~ I would never want that ~ I would never condone the hypos you have brought up ~ and yes ~ again you are right there is nowhere driving above 70 can or should be done ~ with the exception of many western highways ~ like 50 the  Loneliest Highway in America ```

FTW
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:58:33 PM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός