OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:10:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 237640 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #5265 on: July 15, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »

It just shows that for the branch of unionist ecumenism that believes in the falacy of union betwen Orthodoxy and Non-Chalcedonean, "Orthodoxy" is a synonim for "not-Western" only. They are philetists and nothing more.

Please keep the polemics elsewhere. Thanks.
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St Nicholas, the Puncher of Heretics, Pray for us!

« Reply #5266 on: July 15, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »

A patriarch hasn't laughed this hard before haha
I love HH Pope Tawadros II!

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5267 on: July 15, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »

Since his predecessor...

http://mamafayza.tripod.com/design/pope-shenouda-laughs.jpg
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:05:11 PM by Jonathan » Logged
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5268 on: July 15, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »

Since his predecessor...

Of course HH Pope Shenouda III had the best sense of humour, but this laugh is something. Might be because of HH Tawadros' youth

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
Raylight
OC.net guru

Former conservative, currently liberal.

« Reply #5269 on: July 15, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »

Speaking of laughing Wink

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #5270 on: July 15, 2014, 08:39:18 PM »

[nvm]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:39:49 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5271 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »

Since his predecessor...

I'm sorry, I can't see a photo here, all I see is a photo hosting logo. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:43:28 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5272 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:39 PM »

My orthodoxy is tingling.

john_mo
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5273 on: July 16, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »

Cheesy  Took me a good 20 seconds to get it.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5274 on: July 16, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »

It's because a Coptic priest is vested quite properly! He looks great!...both my priests don't even own cuffs....... but they still spiffy up on the 7 Major, and sometimes 7 minor, Feasts

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5275 on: July 16, 2014, 07:05:39 AM »

I was thinking that Christ's senses were tingling, as this hero is wont to do.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5276 on: July 16, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »

Since his predecessor...

Click on that link...apparently it won't allow photos to be shown in other sites.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:12:45 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #5277 on: July 16, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »

It's because a Coptic priest is vested quite properly! He looks great!...both my priests don't even own cuffs....... but they still spiffy up on the 7 Major, and sometimes 7 minor, Feasts
Do the Copts have less strict vestment rules than the Byzantine tradition? What about a feast would require different vestments than usual?

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

"And if your right hand causes you to sin, tattoo it."
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5278 on: July 16, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »

Do the Copts have less strict vestment rules than the Byzantine tradition? What about a feast would require different vestments than usual?

The answer is kinda yes. Our rules are strict, BUT no one really adheres to them, so I suppose they don't hold much weight. This priest is only missing a certain kind of shoulder padding on phelonion that only our bishops wear now but would technically be considered a part of the "rules". That priest is vested as properly as I've ever seen(for the Coptic rite). Usually the average priest only wears his tonia (white garment) and the headgear you see. My priests wear the epitrachelion in a much simpler style, but only over their black and only for vespers, matins, and liturgies on feast days. Almost no priests that I'm aware of wear cuffs. Some wear the belt a few times a year. Some wear the epitrachelion for liturgy regularly. But we've lost a lot in the vesting category in the past 50 years. Its in part due to Pope Shenouda's example. He also limited us down to 3 liturgies among other changes. He was an amazing spiritual father though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:40:22 AM by CopticDeacon » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5279 on: July 16, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »

Well, I guess the latest trend you can call it a bit more "humble" in vesting.  Consider this picture of HH Pope Shenouda:

Regularly, he would at the very least wear a stole (I'm not sure the name, not the thin stoles of deacons, but thick middle vestment put over the cloak).  Instead, he's wearing what any cantor and regular monk would wear.  You may not be even able to tell the difference between a priest and a bishop in that picture, and if he didn't have the white "kolonsowa" on his head, but just the black, you might not even be able to tell if he was a monk or monk-clergy.

Here's another example, with a presbyter and a bishop:

And here as well with a hegumen, who should look different in vestment from a presbyter:

Contrast this with what a bishop usually would be wearing:

Or even grander:

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5280 on: July 16, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »

Mina, the thicker middle stole is an epitrachelion. Greek for literally "around the neck. I forget the name in Arabic for it, but I like the greek one, it makes sense. The last picture has HG Bishop David(my bishop) on the day of his ordination. Antonis, HG is wearing the extra shoulder piece on the phelonion that I spoke about. It is generally only worn by bishops now. And the "humble" look is extreme for priests when a bishop is presiding. If anything I think you should be dressed up for your bishop. Don't we wear a nicer tie that day? Why not the epitrachelion, belt or cuffs for priests?

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5281 on: July 16, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »

Oh shoot! I'm in this picture!!! Look in the back left. Above the guy taking a picture! I'm the kid with big hair and glasses! And my friend is to the left of me! Small world haha!!!

If Mor reads this, yes I was wearing a reader's stole, but I'm not a reader. They gave them out so the choir looked nice and uniform.

If you find the video of the enthronement, or pictures, when HG reads the gospel I'm one of the "deacons" holding a camera next to him. Boss mode.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:12:43 AM by CopticDeacon » Logged

Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

« Reply #5282 on: July 16, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »

Very interesting, thank you. In the Byzantine tradition certain vestments are seen as necessary for certain services, and the epitrachelion is necessary for all sacraments/services. I can't really imagine them just being phased out without some major protests (and rightfully so, I feel).

What is the justification usually given for this practice?

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #5283 on: July 16, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »

Since his predecessor...

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5284 on: July 16, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »

Very interesting, thank you. In the Byzantine tradition certain vestments are seen as necessary for certain services, and the epitrachelion is necessary for all sacraments/services. I can't really imagine them just being phased out without some major protests (and rightfully so, I feel).

The justification? There are 2 excuses haha.
Humility, which I think its more humble to obey the rules of the fathers, even if you don't want to for fear of looking lavish. The other is that back in the day(way back) vestments were so lavish the laity couldn't tell a bishop from a priest. And for some confusion. Vestments started to change.

Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #5285 on: July 16, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »

Humility, which I think its more humble to obey the rules of the fathers, even if you don't want to for fear of looking lavish. The other is that back in the day(way back) vestments were so lavish the laity couldn't tell a bishop from a priest. And for some confusion. Vestments started to change.
That's odd!  Tongue I can understand the desire to use a plain white cloak/sticharion as that is likely more traditional, but it seems to me the solution to lavish vestments is less lavish-ness, not less vestments!   laugh

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5286 on: July 16, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »

That's odd!  Tongue I can understand the desire to use a plain white cloak/sticharion as that is likely more traditional, but it seems to me the solution to lavish vestments is less lavish-ness, not less vestments!   laugh

Someone get this guy a mitre......because he's saying what I've said but they won't listen to me haha

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #5287 on: July 16, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »

Humility, which I think its more humble to obey the rules of the fathers, even if you don't want to for fear of looking lavish.

I agree.  Who was more humble than H.H. Pope Kyrillos VI?

The other is that back in the day(way back) vestments were so lavish the laity couldn't tell a bishop from a priest.

As with the confusion over "deacons" vs. deacons, I would think the solution here would be education.

I always wondered if this was a matter of H.H. Pope Shenouda III eschewing his vestments as a personal practice, and then the bishops and priests serving with and under him shedding theirs because a) they were following his example and/or b) they didn't want to be so bold as to "outshine" the Patriarch in terms of grandeur?  It's not like an order was issued to ditch the epimanikia, et cetera, as orders are being issued now to dump tonias with saints on them, right?

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5288 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »

Humility, which I think its more humble to obey the rules of the fathers, even if you don't want to for fear of looking lavish.

I agree.  Who was more humble than H.H. Pope Kyrillos VI?

The other is that back in the day(way back) vestments were so lavish the laity couldn't tell a bishop from a priest.

As with the confusion over "deacons" vs. deacons, I would think the solution here would be education.

I always wondered if this was a matter of H.H. Pope Shenouda III eschewing his vestments as a personal practice, and then the bishops and priests serving with and under him shedding theirs because a) they were following his example and/or b) they didn't want to be so bold as to "outshine" the Patriarch in terms of grandeur?  It's not like an order was issued to ditch the epimanikia, et cetera, as orders are being issued now to dump tonias with saints on them, right?

Tonias with saints on them is a different topic completely. I'm okay with that decision. I didn't want to bring up deacons but since we're already here......
Yes education is uber important! But I think we should do the following
A) gather men from across Egypt and the diaspora who are willing and worthy to take up the diaconate, get their priests and bishops on board, get them all to attend the same seminary, ordain and concentrate them in the Cathedral. Send them to their parishes.

B) Reinstate censing and The prayer of litanies for REAL deacons and send a papal message to be read clarifying these matters.

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #5289 on: July 16, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »

Tonias with saints on them is a different topic completely. I'm okay with that decision.

Me too.

I didn't want to bring up deacons but since we're already here......
Yes education is uber important! But I think we should do the following
A) gather men from across Egypt and the diaspora who are willing and worthy to take up the diaconate, get their priests and bishops on board, get them all to attend the same seminary, ordain and concentrate them in the Cathedral. Send them to their parishes.

B) Reinstate censing and The prayer of litanies for REAL deacons and send a papal message to be read clarifying these matters.

AMEN!  I'm with that all the way, except that I don't think they all need to attend the same seminary...just an Orthodox seminary.

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5290 on: July 16, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »

Mina, the thicker middle stole is an epitrachelion. Greek for literally "around the neck. I forget the name in Arabic for it, but I like the greek one, it makes sense. The last picture has HG Bishop David(my bishop) on the day of his ordination. Antonis, HG is wearing the extra shoulder piece on the phelonion that I spoke about. It is generally only worn by bishops now. And the "humble" look is extreme for priests when a bishop is presiding. If anything I think you should be dressed up for your bishop. Don't we wear a nicer tie that day? Why not the epitrachelion, belt or cuffs for priests?

I wish to see the epitrachelion with the 12 Apostles, or at least this vestment in our bishops:

I've seen something similar by presbyters particularly on Good Friday:

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #5291 on: July 16, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »

Beautiful.  I feel blessed to live in an era when God is restoring the fullness and the beauty of the Coptic Orthodox Church.  The diaconate will soon be restored to what it was, the appropriate vestments of the priests and bishops are will return, and the crypto-Protestant "missions" will be dispersed like the counsel of Ahitophel.  I feel like we're in the very early days of a Coptic renaissance.  Glory to God.

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #5292 on: July 17, 2014, 05:48:23 AM »

He plays a mean guitar

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:49:23 AM by john_mo » Logged

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #5293 on: July 17, 2014, 06:58:42 AM »

The thread is becoming too eastern and too manly. So, to balance it, lets share a western tradition with a little bit of feminine power  Grin

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:00:04 AM by Raylight » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5294 on: July 17, 2014, 07:06:45 AM »

^And we'll just go ahead and fix that.

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #5295 on: July 17, 2014, 07:11:32 AM »

One good turn deserves another

Taken from the article Why Orthodox Men Love Church.

—G.K. Chesterton
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5296 on: July 17, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »

For our OO brothers:

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #5297 on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »

My T-level just spiked.  Anyone else?

—G.K. Chesterton
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5298 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:55 AM »

Yeah.  I'm going to lift some weights and blast my Byzantine playlist.  Maybe eat a grilled ribeye and nothing else.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5299 on: July 17, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »

Lest anyone accuse me of sexism, these godly women are more warriors than I can ever strive to be:

Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #5300 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:16 AM »

Ouch! Patriarch Kirill I is one the reasons I'm not Eastern Orthodox.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:35:08 AM by Raylight » Logged
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #5301 on: July 17, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »

Lest anyone accuse me of sexism, these godly women are more warriors than I can ever strive to be:

Why they are not smiling ? I find it very very rare to find Orthodox nuns with smile on their face.  Undecided
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5302 on: July 17, 2014, 07:33:51 AM »

Happiness is fleeting.  Joy in unceasing prayer is a much more worthy goal. 

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5303 on: July 17, 2014, 07:37:46 AM »

Why?

Here's why I'm Orthodox.

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5304 on: July 17, 2014, 07:46:04 AM »

Why "orthodox men love church" is a completely legit and awesome article I read a while ago. It spoke to me and I've mentioned and used it in conversations. When I saw that picture of patriarch Kirill I almost died. It was posted and worded in such a funny way! Have you seen Archbishop Khajag Barsamian of New York' liturgical hat? It would hit the top of my church's Holy Door in the Iconastasis! So manly! Armenians rule!

CopticDeacon
High Elder

« Reply #5305 on: July 17, 2014, 07:48:22 AM »

Why?

Here's why I'm Orthodox.

Here's why I'm orthodox: trying to do this erry day

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5306 on: July 17, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »

The first OO Liturgy I saw online was the Armenian one with the Archbishop.  It's on Youtube and explains all the parts in the Armenian Liturgy.  Yeah...Orthodoxy...Hats...Love it.

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #5307 on: July 17, 2014, 07:50:14 AM »

Why they are not smiling ? I find it very very rare to find Orthodox nuns with smile on their face.  Undecided

Perhaps you should visit a nunnery.

—G.K. Chesterton
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5308 on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »

^Both during and after Liturgy.  Liturgy is hard, spiritual work; it's not time to smile and laugh.  Nuns like smiling like anyone else.

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #5309 on: July 17, 2014, 07:58:13 AM »

—G.K. Chesterton
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: