Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 1961341 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #9090 on: March 08, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9091 on: March 09, 2017, 07:26:21 AM »
Orthodox skete in Odrynki, Poland. Picture taken by Wojciech Olichwier

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #9092 on: March 09, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9093 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »

Is this the location of the documentary made by Mike's father? It seems a lot drier, perhaps due to the season.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9094 on: March 09, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »

Is this the location of the documentary made by Mike's father? It seems a lot drier, perhaps due to the season.
Yes.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9095 on: March 09, 2017, 05:45:18 PM »

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #9096 on: March 10, 2017, 12:26:32 AM »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #9097 on: March 10, 2017, 12:34:29 AM »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9098 on: March 10, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #9099 on: March 10, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9100 on: March 11, 2017, 12:36:50 AM »

I love it!   :)

I hope there is at least one person like me here. I hate it. Putting words into a couple of Mormon kids mouths and putting words into what appears to be a monk's mouth. Rejoicing over two blatant lies seems very wrong to me. Sorry , but this is how I see this.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #9101 on: March 11, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »

I love it!   :)

+1

It speaks perfectly to the arrogance of those from Western cults and sects who dare to think they have something to teach "those idolatrous Orthodox" about Christ.

It also reminds me of this elderly Coptic woman I know who was being literally harassed by a pair of fresh-faced young cultists who continued to pester her at her place of residence.  She mentioned this to our at that time vigorous young bishop, who was a very hands on type of person and also very erudite, and he told her next time they came to ask them to please return at a particular set time.  They did so, and Sayedna was waiting for them, ready for a theological debate.  Needless to say, they never returned after that.  ;D
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9102 on: March 11, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »
<picture removed>

+1

It speaks perfectly to the arrogance of those from Western cults and sects who dare to think they have something to teach "those idolatrous Orthodox" about Christ.

It also reminds me of this elderly Coptic woman I know who was being literally harassed by a pair of fresh-faced young cultists who continued to pester her at her place of residence.  She mentioned this to our at that time vigorous young bishop, who was a very hands on type of person and also very erudite, and he told her next time they came to ask them to please return at a particular set time.  They did so, and Sayedna was waiting for them, ready for a theological debate.  Needless to say, they never returned after that.  ;D

Living with an ostracized, ex-Mormon family from Utah for a year and hearing their stories, the C of LDS is a mind control cult. However, I have yet to run into discourteous Mormon missionaries over the years. I did live next door to an arrogant Mormon when I was graduate student in Iowa for one year (1973-4). We had many heated arguments. I was knowledgeable about Mormonism, he was clueless about Eastern Orthodoxy, so his arguments were easy to trash and he kept going back to his bishop to get advice and his bishop was also apparently clueless such that it did not help. He eventually moved to another apartment after a couple of weeks of this.

From this perspective, I think my criticism is appropriate.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9103 on: March 11, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #9104 on: March 11, 2017, 04:58:41 PM »
@Dominika
What is your post count?
Now name a tool and a vegetable.
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9105 on: March 11, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
<picture removed>

+1

Living with an ostracized, ex-Mormon family from Utah for a year and hearing their stories, the C of LDS is a mind control cult. However, I have yet to run into discourteous Mormon missionaries over the years. I did live next door to an arrogant Mormon when I was graduate student in Iowa for one year (1973-4). We had many heated arguments. I was knowledgeable about Mormonism, he was clueless about Eastern Orthodoxy, so his arguments were easy to trash and he kept going back to his bishop to get advice and his bishop was also apparently clueless such that it did not help. He eventually moved to another apartment after a couple of weeks of this.

I don't see how.  The meme doesn't indicate at all that the Mormons are discourteous, but rather - as you have confirmed in your own post - arrogant in their ignorance concerning Orthodoxy.  The point of the meme seems to be that Western cultists and sectarians - in this case Mormons - believe that we (the Orthodox) are in need of whatever it is they have teach us about what they consider the "authentic" Christian faith.  If anything, the story you have posted confirms the meme rather than your criticism.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9106 on: March 11, 2017, 06:40:07 PM »
I wonder how often Mormons or JWs have ever been converted after talking to people whom they try to convert.
We were not able to convert AndrewLya to Trinitarianism, so I'm sure it isn't necessarily easy despite the simplicity of the logic issues involved, wouldn't you say, Antonious?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:40:29 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9107 on: March 11, 2017, 06:42:29 PM »
It seems JW's have explicit guidelines on what to do when the other side starts trying to proselytise them.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #9108 on: March 11, 2017, 06:48:56 PM »

Starets' answer is that he knows very much information about Jesus and that the Mormons don't know very much.

I really don't know how familiar Mormons are with the real gospels, because they have their own "Bible".
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9109 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
I wonder how often Mormons or JWs have ever been converted after talking to people whom they try to convert.
We were not able to convert AndrewLya to Trinitarianism, so I'm sure it isn't necessarily easy despite the simplicity of the logic issues involved, wouldn't you say, Antonious?

I suppose it's not easy for anyone to abandon the belief system they've been raised with.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9110 on: March 11, 2017, 08:07:07 PM »
<picture removed>

+1

I don't see how.  The meme doesn't indicate at all that the Mormons are discourteous, but rather - as you have confirmed in your own post - arrogant in their ignorance concerning Orthodoxy.  The point of the meme seems to be that Western cultists and sectarians - in this case Mormons - believe that we (the Orthodox) are in need of whatever it is they have teach us about what they consider the "authentic" Christian faith.  If anything, the story you have posted confirms the meme rather than your criticism.

No. There is a difference. I do not like memes in general (except perhaps with parakeets) and I have never posted one. In this case, I reacted strongly to it. I felt it was wrong but I did not put this reaction into a mental argument that contained words.

My mental image is that the missionaries are dehumanized and stereotyped by assuming how they really feel. They are the other, not worth your time of day. Putting a preconceived attitude into their words does not warrant smugness, gloating, a feeling of superiority, or whatever the correct word should be for what I am feeling.

Putting a preconceived attitude onto a monk (I am assuming he is not an actor from a movie) is equally disturbing to me. He is made to be dismissive by ignoring and twisting around their question rather than making this an opportunity for being a witness. He may have this attitude when dealing with Orthodox, but not necessarily with non-Christians like Mormons.

I hope this is at least a little bit clearer. Let me know if not.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #9111 on: March 11, 2017, 08:23:37 PM »
No. There is a difference. I do not like memes in general (except perhaps with parakeets) and I have never posted one. In this case, I reacted strongly to it. I felt it was wrong but I did not put this reaction into a mental argument that contained words.

My mental image is that the missionaries are dehumanized and stereotyped by assuming how they really feel. They are the other, not worth your time of day. Putting a preconceived attitude into their words does not warrant smugness, gloating, a feeling of superiority, or whatever the correct word should be for what I am feeling.

Putting a preconceived attitude onto a monk (I am assuming he is not an actor from a movie) is equally disturbing to me. He is made to be dismissive by ignoring and twisting around their question rather than making this an opportunity for being a witness. He may have this attitude when dealing with Orthodox, but not necessarily with non-Christians like Mormons.

Opus,
How familiar are Mormons usually with the canonical gospels? Do they read them, like we do, or do they have their own version that is significantly different?

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9112 on: March 11, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »

Opus,
How familiar are Mormons usually with the canonical gospels? Do they read them, like we do, or do they have their own version that is significantly different?

I do not know if they have their own version. I have accumulated a couple of editions of the Book of Mormon but never a version of the Gospels.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9113 on: March 11, 2017, 09:12:52 PM »
No. There is a difference.

It did not come across in your anecdote.

I do not like memes in general (except perhaps with parakeets) and I have never posted one.

To each his own.

In this case, I reacted strongly to it. I felt it was wrong but I did not put this reaction into a mental argument that contained words.

I reacted strongly to it as well.  It made me laugh out loud. :)

That's your opinion.  Heterodox - and in the case of Mormons, non-Christian - missionaries trying to convert the Orthodox are misguided at best.  At worst, consciously or not, they are doing the work of Satan.  Speaking of smugness, gloating, feelings of superiority, et al, the audacity of adherents of such a cult trying to convert the Orthodox is off the charts.  I can't speak for Gamaliel, or whoever made the meme, but this is what it captures perfectly so far as I am concerned.  And it does it in a gentle, inoffensive, humorous sort of way.  I truly enjoyed it.

I think you're taking Gamaliel's joke a little too seriously.  The monk in the meme is obviously meant to embody Holy Orthodoxy, in the form of a starets holy enough that he plays with wild bears like house cats without fear.  The Mormon youth are similarly meant to embody a wet-behind-the-ears Western cult.  This is the nature of memes.  Do you think that our own dear Hyperdox Herman is really representative of the thoughts of the anonymous chap in the photo?

It's cool.  To each his own.  If you notice, I was simply stating how I felt about the meme.  I didn't quote you in my post because I wasn't responding to you, but to the meme itself.  We're each allowed to have our own opinions on it I presume. :)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #9114 on: March 11, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #9115 on: March 11, 2017, 11:34:15 PM »
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9116 on: March 11, 2017, 11:44:41 PM »
No. There is a difference.

It did not come across in your anecdote.
Thanks

I do not like memes in general (except perhaps with parakeets) and I have never posted one.

To each his own.
That is why I posted.

In this case, I reacted strongly to it. I felt it was wrong but I did not put this reaction into a mental argument that contained words.

I reacted strongly to it as well.  It made me laugh out loud. :)

That attitude is also why I posted.

That's your opinion.  Heterodox - and in the case of Mormons, non-Christian - missionaries trying to convert the Orthodox are misguided at best.  At worst, consciously or not, they are doing the work of Satan.  Speaking of smugness, gloating, feelings of superiority, et al, the audacity of adherents of such a cult trying to convert the Orthodox is off the charts.  I can't speak for Gamaliel, or whoever made the meme, but this is what it captures perfectly so far as I am concerned.  And it does it in a gentle, inoffensive, humorous sort of way.  I truly enjoyed it.

But I did not. I know Gamaliel originally posted this, but I thought this was important enough that my comment(s) should be critiqued and I knew you would do so. This is a matter of respect although we differ in attitude.

I think you're taking Gamaliel's joke a little too seriously.  The monk in the meme is obviously meant to embody Holy Orthodoxy, in the form of a starets holy enough that he plays with wild bears like house cats without fear.  The Mormon youth are similarly meant to embody a wet-behind-the-ears Western cult.  This is the nature of memes.  Do you think that our own dear Hyperdox Herman is really representative of the thoughts of the anonymous chap in the photo?

I already gave my opinion of memes, but in hyperdox Herman, it is Orthodox making fun of Orthodox and not the other.

It's cool.  To each his own.  If you notice, I was simply stating how I felt about the meme.  I didn't quote you in my post because I wasn't responding to you, but to the meme itself.  We're each allowed to have our own opinions on it I presume. :)

Thanks. I do appreciate your responding and helping me in this matter.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #9117 on: March 12, 2017, 12:57:05 AM »
We're not supposed to laugh at this.  Repent!!
:laugh:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:57:20 AM by byhisgrace »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
« Reply #9118 on: March 12, 2017, 02:14:01 AM »
Mormons use the King James Version with "revisions" based upon Joseph Smith's glosses found here. Similar, though not precisely the same thing as the Jehovah's Witnesses.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #9119 on: March 12, 2017, 07:15:59 AM »
I do not know if they have their own version. I have accumulated a couple of editions of the Book of Mormon but never a version of the Gospels.

They have some radically different beliefs about Jesus, so then they must have written their own version of Jesus' story.

LDS Prophet Says Dont Believe In The Christ Of The Bible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkMY88DZcGU

Mormons Preach A Different Jesus Christ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziULvdFO1Ys
^It has an interview with an ex-Mormon
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:16:42 AM by rakovsky »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #9120 on: March 13, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #9121 on: March 14, 2017, 11:30:18 PM »
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9122 on: March 15, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
^^ waiting for Athos-cat version. Armenian one would be also nice.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #9123 on: March 15, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »

Mt Athos

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #9124 on: March 15, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
If Athonite monks start releasing photos of cats in monastic garb... well let's just say "tonsure the cat" will be the new "jump the shark." 
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9125 on: March 15, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9126 on: March 15, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
^^ Finns plus their Gregorian calendar

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9127 on: March 15, 2017, 03:55:56 PM »
I envy bitterly your white Christmas, we had some 30 Celsius and our air conditioner was gone at the last one.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #9128 on: March 15, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »
Where I live (Pennsylvania) white Christmases are pretty rare. However this past Christmas on the Old Calendar had snow.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #9129 on: March 15, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »
Where I grew up, northern Cambria County Pa, I can remember a couple White Paschas.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #9130 on: March 15, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »
Where I grew up, northern Cambria County Pa, I can remember a couple White Paschas.

Worse weather... one of the main reasons I never wanted to move back to that area

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #9131 on: March 16, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »

Wouldn't there be less snow than in Penn State/State College?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:18:38 AM by rakovsky »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #9132 on: March 16, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »
^I'm not sure as to what kind of weather they get up that way, but I was speaking of Cambria County (around where it says Lilly and 'Johns' on the map below) vs. further west like Westmoreland (Greensburg) and Allegheny (Pittsburgh) counties...

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9133 on: March 16, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #9134 on: March 17, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »