Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 2093289 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #8370 on: May 18, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
Awesome, a true soccer player! Now I see why His Excellency is the locum for South America.
In one of the interviews he says he used to be a quite good player in seminary times, but now he plays football only with children. And the serious reason is that the majority of the immigrants to South America being part of Serbian Church are Montenegrins (and he is one).
I want to play penalties with him.  :-[

Yes, most of them are Montenegrins, I think Argentina has the only bishop from the uncanonical Montenegrin Orthodox Church outside Montenegro.
You can always say to him, that you're God's child ;)

My great grandfather who was Montenegrin, has gone to Argentina, so I'm associated with this issue personally ;) And yeah, regadring uncanonical bishop, that's true. But, remember, uncanonical Montenegrin Church is in fact very small community, and, moreover, their head talks so stupid things, even about Islam (that's not bad religion at all, and we believe in the same God, or something like that)...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:25:34 PM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8371 on: May 18, 2016, 07:10:08 PM »
Awesome, a true soccer player! Now I see why His Excellency is the locum for South America.
In one of the interviews he says he used to be a quite good player in seminary times, but now he plays football only with children. And the serious reason is that the majority of the immigrants to South America being part of Serbian Church are Montenegrins (and he is one).
I want to play penalties with him.  :-[

Yes, most of them are Montenegrins, I think Argentina has the only bishop from the uncanonical Montenegrin Orthodox Church outside Montenegro.
You can always say to him, that you're God's child ;)

My great grandfather who was Montenegrin, has gone to Argentina, so I'm associated with this issue personally ;) And yeah, regadring uncanonical bishop, that's true. But, remember, uncanonical Montenegrin Church is in fact very small community, and, moreover, their head talks so stupid things, even about Islam (that's not bad religion at all, and we believe in the same God, or something like that)...
I see. Among the uncanonical jurisdictions, those that don't identify themselves as "traditionalists" seem to be the greatest ecumenism enthusiasts. Maybe this has something to do with the flexible ecclesiology they adhere to to call themselves canonical and to identify themselves with World Orthodoxy, IDK.

Unrelated funny picture:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:10:54 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #8372 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Ukrainian Greek Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Saint Josaphat in Parma
« Reply #8373 on: May 18, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »

JustGirlyThings make me cringe. I am always surprised by just how self-absorbed my generation can be.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #8374 on: May 19, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »

Keep this up and you'll have me falling in love with you in no time.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8375 on: May 19, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »

That statement is not being fair to tweens and post adolescence people, they have angst and are people too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:56:32 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #8376 on: May 19, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #8377 on: May 19, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »

Keep this up and you'll have me falling in love with you in no time.

:-* :-* :-*
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #8378 on: May 19, 2016, 12:54:03 PM »
My favorite:

If only I could find a girl who loves Tigers as much as I do.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #8379 on: May 19, 2016, 03:07:03 PM »

I could be that girl for you.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #8380 on: May 19, 2016, 04:15:26 PM »

I could be that girl for you.

If the Panzer VI is a rockin' don't come a knockin'

Because someone is ruining the laws of physics.  There is no way someone fat enough to rock a fifty ton tank could actually fit in one.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #8381 on: May 19, 2016, 11:06:27 PM »
"Dank memes" for our Coptic friends

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci2bVSnXAAARJWD.jpg (linked for some NSFW language)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:18:55 PM by lovesupreme »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8382 on: May 20, 2016, 04:12:50 AM »

Very good one :D

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #8383 on: May 21, 2016, 01:34:06 AM »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8384 on: May 21, 2016, 07:13:40 AM »

:laugh:

BTW, the fact that only mother is always known for sure, I think that surnames (rthat sombody is son/daughter of somebody, like it's in Arabic) and even Serbian Slava (feast of family patron - on this day the first ancestor was baptised) should be inherited by mother, not by father. Especially nowadays, that thare are so many (ufortunately) single mothers...

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8385 on: May 23, 2016, 06:11:12 AM »
Pictures from Prizren, procession to restored seminary (destroyed by Albanians in 2004, as the whole Serbian disctrict in the city, as you can see in the photos)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #8386 on: May 23, 2016, 06:16:42 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #8387 on: May 23, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »

What's the Trinitarian Besmala?  I have only heard Christians say "Besmelsalib" (in the name of the Cross).
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8388 on: May 23, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »

What's the Trinitarian Besmala?  I have only heard Christians say "Besmelsalib" (in the name of the Cross).
Maybe he's referring to the Trinitarian formula? It starts with bismi/besme as well.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #8389 on: May 24, 2016, 03:18:30 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8390 on: May 24, 2016, 05:20:05 AM »

Maybe he's referring to the Trinitarian formula? It starts with bismi/besme as well.
Exactly. In Arabic "Basmala" is a verb meaning saying religious formula "bism...", in Islam starging Bismillah (In the name of the Gog) and in Christianity: Bismi l-Ābi wa l-Ibni wa r-Rūḥi l-Qudus (al-Ilāhi l-Wāḥid), amin. - "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, (One God), amen.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #8391 on: May 24, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
Hmmmm...maybe that's a non-Egyptian Arab thing, but in Egypt, when, and it's usually women, people get startled by something, Muslim women repeat really quickly in a scared voice, "Bismillah, bismillah, bismillah, ...", while Christian women repeat, "Bismisalib, Bismisalib, Bismisalib, ..."  I know from experience especially when driving, and something in traffic happens, and my mother or aunt would say this, especially in a frustrating situation when they just frustrate it more with something which I feel they just vainly repeat.  My Muslim friends expressed the same to me with their own mothers and aunts.

But to say "bismi el Ab..." is a much longer phrase that is very deliberate.  Think of the times in English people get startled.  Do they quickly say "In the name of the Father..." or do they say "Oh God" or "Jesus!" ?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:59:04 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8392 on: May 24, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »
Hmmmm...maybe that's a non-Egyptian Arab thing, but in Egypt, when, and it's usually women, people get startled by something, Muslim women repeat really quickly in a scared voice, "Bismillah, bismillah, bismillah, ...", while Christian women repeat, "Bismisalib, Bismisalib, Bismisalib, ..."  I know from experience especially when driving, and something in traffic happens, and my mother or aunt would say this, especially in a frustrating situation when they just frustrate it more with something which I feel they just vainly repeat.  My Muslim friends expressed the same to me with their own mothers and aunts.

But to say "bismi el Ab..." is a much longer phrase that is very deliberate.  Think of the times in English people get startled.  Do they quickly say "In the name of the Father..." or do they say "Oh God" or "Jesus!" ?
I see different context (usage) given in the picture. It's not like being startled (yeah, the reactions are short, as you said), but an answer of accusation of being politheist. The Trinitarian Basmala is said (liek Muslim one) in the beginning of the prayer, of religious speech, sometimes in the beginning of any (longer) activity..

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #8393 on: May 24, 2016, 05:43:15 PM »
ah, okay, that makes sense

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #8394 on: May 25, 2016, 09:46:28 PM »

Our son, Noah Kenyon Wood (Wolde Menfes Kidus), graduated from high school! I'm so incredibly proud of him. This is an emotional but wonderful time. It seems like it was just yesterday that we were taking him to kindergarten. It has been a privilege and a blessing to watch Noah grow and develop through each stage of his life. Now he is entering a new chapter that will be full of new challenges and new opportunities. I am so proud of his character and his heart. Wherever life takes him and whatever he chooses to do with his future, I will always love him and I will always be proud of him. He is a wonderful young man in so many ways. I have learned far more from him than he has from me. Please continue to keep Noah in your prayers.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8395 on: May 25, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »

Our son, Noah Kenyon Wood (Wolde Menfes Kidus), graduated from high school! I'm so incredibly proud of him. This is an emotional but wonderful time. It seems like it was just yesterday that we were taking him to kindergarten. It has been a privilege and a blessing to watch Noah grow and develop through each stage of his life. Now he is entering a new chapter that will be full of new challenges and new opportunities. I am so proud of his character and his heart. Wherever life takes him and whatever he chooses to do with his future, I will always love him and I will always be proud of him. He is a wonderful young man in so many ways. I have learned far more from him than he has from me. Please continue to keep Noah in your prayers.

Selam
Congratulations for your son!

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #8396 on: May 25, 2016, 11:25:44 PM »
Congratulations for your son, Gebre! 

"O Saviour, who hast journeyed with Luke and Cleopas to Emmaus, journey with thy servants as they now set out upon their way, and defend them from all evil."
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:26:00 PM by minasoliman »

• Merarches
« Reply #8397 on: May 25, 2016, 11:31:26 PM »
Thank you Rapha and Mina:)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8398 on: May 26, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »
Gebre Menfes Kidus - Great! :) Many years!

Sth completely different (Serbian picture regarding the recent council of Serbian bishops)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8399 on: May 26, 2016, 09:03:40 PM »
Proud Papa and Beautiful Son.
All the best to you, Noah.
No matter what you do, as you work hard at what you love and find meaning in, your Papa will always be proud of you, and rightly so! All the best to you.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8400 on: May 27, 2016, 06:19:35 AM »

• Merarches
« Reply #8401 on: May 27, 2016, 06:38:36 AM »
Proud Papa and Beautiful Son.
All the best to you, Noah.
No matter what you do, as you work hard at what you love and find meaning in, your Papa will always be proud of you, and rightly so! All the best to you.

Thanks brother!

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #8402 on: May 27, 2016, 07:13:17 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8403 on: May 27, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »
Hive in Drenča monastery (Serbia). It's written in Serbian "Christ is risen" ;)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8404 on: May 27, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
Hive in Drenča monastery (Serbia). It's written in Serbian "Christ is risen" ;)

As a bee keeper (beek) I love it. And thanks.
BUT it would be illegal in America....can't move the frames.

(this is NOT a political statement, but one of law & fact)
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #8405 on: May 29, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
The hipster cultist:

Raylight

« Reply #8406 on: May 29, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #8407 on: May 29, 2016, 10:05:30 PM »
Baptism of a little girl, Kassiani, at church today. Her Mom is not in the frame; I think the woman holding the child is her sponsor. The child's Dad is a subdeacon and you can just barely see his face, next to the priest. :)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:07:01 PM by biro »

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
« Reply #8408 on: May 29, 2016, 10:10:13 PM »
Baptism of a little girl, Kassiani, at church today. Her Mom is not in the frame; I think the woman holding the child is her sponsor. The child's Dad is a subdeacon and you can just barely see his face, next to the priest. :)

Kassiani.. what a beautiful name!
Welcome home little baby!
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
« Reply #8409 on: May 30, 2016, 05:45:04 AM »
I really love this picture. I really love this kids. They are so sweet!
Wish I were there....

Orthodox in Kenya
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline orthodoxindonesia

• T I M
  • Tuhan kasihanilah!
  • Faith: Kristen Ortodoks Timur
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Singapore and South Asia
« Reply #8410 on: May 30, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »
I really love this picture. I really love this kids. They are so sweet!
Wish I were there....

Orthodox in Kenya

The kids are sooo sweet.
Lovely picture!
ALLAH Maha Kudus, Sang Kuasa Maha Kudus, Sang Baka Maha Kudus, kasihanilah kami!
Αγιος ο Θεός, Αγιος Ισχυρός, Αγιος Αθάνατος, ελέησον ημάς

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #8411 on: May 30, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »
The kids make me smile. :)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8412 on: May 30, 2016, 06:44:59 PM »
Serbian piousness

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #8413 on: May 31, 2016, 01:41:08 AM »

This was found from a desolate cave in Finland. With a pentagram, a bonfire and lots of candles. Ia! Ia!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:41:39 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #8414 on: May 31, 2016, 01:44:19 AM »
Pastafarianism?