Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 2095161 times)

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #7515 on: October 07, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »

The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7516 on: October 07, 2015, 01:59:39 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7517 on: October 07, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »
^Nice!  It was only a matter of time...
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #7518 on: October 07, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »

Is the phone joining the snakes in being crushed by/vainly assaulting the cross, or are the snakes attacking the phone
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7519 on: October 08, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »
When your diocese is in exile
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
« Reply #7520 on: October 09, 2015, 06:50:59 AM »
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #7521 on: October 09, 2015, 08:14:24 AM »

If you like this, you'll love his using the Golden Gospel as a coaster for his Big Gulp, scratching his backside with his hand cross, and making a house of icon cards.  After all, the things of the Church are just things and using them for comical effect one minute and treating them with reverence the next is perfectly appropriate behavior.  Maybe he's teaching us a lesson about how we Orthodox get too hung up on "things".  (Countdown until some idiot actually makes that argument seriously...5...4..3..2..)
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #7522 on: October 10, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Raylight

« Reply #7523 on: October 10, 2015, 03:43:06 PM »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #7524 on: October 13, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #7525 on: October 14, 2015, 06:38:12 PM »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #7526 on: October 15, 2015, 01:02:58 AM »
Considering how tall he is, a very apt meme...lol!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7527 on: October 15, 2015, 07:53:28 AM »
His Holiness does have nice form.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #7528 on: October 15, 2015, 10:28:33 PM »

I actually think it wouldn't be such a bad idea if Orthodox churches in the USA started voluntarily paying taxes rather than claiming exemptions like the Protestant churches do. It'd set a good moral example (certainly a better one than the prosperity charlatans who take advantage of their tax-exempt status to become multibillionaires, and who take money from the poor rather than giving to them). Also, symphonia. And it'd provide a way to defuse one of the most common criticisms that secularists level against Christianity.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7529 on: October 15, 2015, 11:42:21 PM »

I actually think it wouldn't be such a bad idea if Orthodox churches in the USA started voluntarily paying taxes rather than claiming exemptions like the Protestant churches do. It'd set a good moral example (certainly a better one than the prosperity charlatans who take advantage of their tax-exempt status to become multibillionaires, and who take money from the poor rather than giving to them). Also, symphonia. And it'd provide a way to defuse one of the most common criticisms that secularists level against Christianity.

Usually I would not consider an online humor magazine like Cracked.Com worthy of attention in regard to factual material.

It seemed to me that most churches are small with little or no taxable profit. I found this:
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/19693/if-american-churches-paid-taxes-how-much-revenue-would-that-generate

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7530 on: October 16, 2015, 12:16:59 AM »
[img]I actually think it wouldn't be such a bad idea if Orthodox churches in the USA started voluntarily paying taxes rather than claiming exemptions like the Protestant churches do. It'd set a good moral example (certainly a better one than the prosperity charlatans who take advantage of their tax-exempt status to become multibillionaires, and who take money from the poor rather than giving to them). Also, symphonia. And it'd provide a way to defuse one of the most common criticisms that secularists level against Christianity.

Or, you know, government could be less wasteful.  $76 billion is a drop in the bucket.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #7531 on: October 16, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »

Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #7532 on: October 16, 2015, 08:33:11 PM »

Meet Mary Cotter.  This is a picture of her on her 103rd birthday. 

The centenarian, who still lives on her own, has volunteered at the senior day care facility for 25 years, she told ABC 7. She drives to the center five days a week to spend time with the facility’s members, most of whom are younger than she is.

She -drives- there.....

May she have many years and peace...

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7533 on: October 16, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »

Churches don't pay taxes because of this tiny little protesting cry you might have heard of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_taxation_without_representation

Or do you want to see Bishop-Senators? Well, I'm sure many of us do but that will most likely cause a domino effect of screams of oppression and separation of church and state. Even if the latter was flat ignored, you would have to have representation from every religion, as just representing notable/majority faiths would cause riots. Imagine Methodists, Mormons, Ba'hai, Zoroastrians, UFOlogists, Pantheists, Buddhists, Shinto, Scientologists etc., etc., etc. all in Congress. Forced equality at work.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7534 on: October 16, 2015, 11:49:57 PM »

You actually want to give the gov't MORE money?
(mumble, gurgle, snort *^+&%#@*!~, what have we wrought?, scream, mumble....)
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7535 on: October 17, 2015, 12:04:37 AM »

This is the best picture I've ever seen.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7536 on: October 18, 2015, 09:48:21 AM »
I forgot...my response would be political.
Never mind...tired of getting thumped.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:49:37 AM by LenInSebastopol »
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #7537 on: October 18, 2015, 10:07:31 AM »

But how much value do the churches that aren't taxed provide to the poor now? How much will they be able to provide once they're taxed?

If the churches are taxed those 86 billion won't go directly to the poor either. A lot of it will be used for the military or the bureaucracy. The poor might very well be worse off if the churches are taxed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:09:22 AM by Cyrillic »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7538 on: October 18, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:52:09 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7539 on: October 18, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »

This is the best picture I've ever seen.

That figures.  ;D

I'm no Android fanboy. Android hasa been very unorthodox lately.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7540 on: October 18, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:10:33 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7541 on: October 18, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
I fear I am becoming a hipster because I don't think I could post anything more ironically.

God bless!

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #7542 on: October 19, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7543 on: October 19, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »

Like a game of where's waldo, can you spot the "Martian Buddha Statue" (although to be honest, the rock formation looks more like Haile Selassie to me...must be my Orthodox bias :P )
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7544 on: October 20, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »
One of my favorite bishops...

You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7545 on: October 20, 2015, 04:41:28 PM »
These are not bunny ears, but cones of light:

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7546 on: October 20, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »

I think if you are an actual factual practicing Orthodox, Catholic, Jew, Muslim, Zoroastrian, Hindu, or whatever... that is  treating someone as a second class citizen.  The Muslims did it to Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians.  The Russians did it to Jews, etc.  You are effectively taxing someone for being what they are and not being what the political power in charge is.  That's usually not a good idea. Should we tax non profit ethninic centers, local community structures and practices, or other non profit organic cultural institutions? 

If I open up "Orthodox Will's Lenten Grill", fine tax the restraunt and get mad at me for trying to hide behind religion if I try and go tax exempt.  As far as Mega Church organizations, that may be a legit problem too.  But I think we can look at more "traditional" forms of culture and worship from any tradition as not really following that model.  Don't get me wrong, if that happens, we are Christians and we would have to still abide.  But I think the logic and lnguage used at aiming at "religion" and taxes is kind of a big deal and shouldn't be taken lightly.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:40:31 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7547 on: October 21, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7548 on: October 21, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Another tough day at the office, eh father?
God bless!

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7549 on: October 21, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7550 on: October 21, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7551 on: October 21, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »
Another tough day at the office, eh father?

I'm about to put everyone on tranquilizers, starting with myself...

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7552 on: October 22, 2015, 12:22:10 AM »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7553 on: October 22, 2015, 12:27:55 AM »
Its always good to have it written on your head to avoid any confusion.
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7554 on: October 22, 2015, 12:32:01 AM »
Its always good to have it written on your head to avoid any confusion.

Absolutely...    :o

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7555 on: October 22, 2015, 01:10:03 AM »

The ROC has denied the context of this photo, which I think leaves you off the hook. I think it is nevertheless shameful.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7556 on: October 22, 2015, 06:54:57 AM »

I bet whenever he's getting the worst of it in a theological debate, he simply points to his hat and raises his eyebrows to silence the competition.

"Eh, eh, eh...Prophet!"

"Oh yeah, right.  Darn it!"

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7557 on: October 22, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »

My naive and hopeful guess is he is blessing this for purposes of malfunction and non-explosive and non-fatal reasons.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7558 on: October 22, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »
Maybe he is blessing it for the purposes of it never having to be used.  :angel:  #notlikely
God bless!

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7559 on: October 22, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »
^I should make it clear that I do not endorse the photo. I only shared it because I thought it was interesting.

Perhaps he was praying that they don't land on innocent civilians?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:10:28 PM by Severian »