Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 1973113 times)

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #7380 on: August 17, 2015, 03:43:27 PM »
I like you, it's just you got that priest thingy going on which short circuits the God-thingy for me, the peon.
You're all right...and your wife is better, so listen to her; and quit dissing women by posting trash.

After talking with Wife #1, I've a new problem question for you, the Priest, generically speaking:
Should you publicly confess a personal shortcoming (sin) of yours to the congregation during a sermon or homily? Like anger, avarice or passion, or such.
My priest does 3 out of 4 Sundays (who's counting, eh?) and it is very helpful in terms of the above (snide "priest-thingy") as we do forget your role and position.
Oh, and that is why prayers are said daily for priests. It may be to easy to get a swelled head (pride) with the power/role given to you. That's why it's important to listen to your wife....she there to help remind you, and though not married to you, I'll help if needed.

For a 'peon' you talk awful big... just saying...   ;)

You are right, good Priest. The American peon is not the Old World type as we do not quake well in the presence of power or authority. Rather different from Orthodoxy.

I don't treat anyone like trash.  Just for reference, all three images were painted by women IIRC.  The first two are presented as being actual devotionals, though the third was purposeful sacrilege.  I put the coffee mug in the first category, though due to the origins of the Siren logo for Starbuck, it is also sacrilegious.

I believe and trust you treat no one as trash.
Those photos did treat women as such. As a proud peon, don't care who painted them, women or Jackson Pollack, it is just they do not whole women-folks up to standards that.....well, you know better than I.
I didn't know Starbucks was profane in the sense that they took something special with which to begin.  Just a mermaid I thought and a lousy rendition.
Out here on the Left Coast anyway friends don't take friends to Starbucks.

I am pretty transparent about my own sins, to the extent that the listeners can bear it when it comes to sermons.  I think there are subtle ways to express more uncomfortable truths, but most people figure out pretty quick, and you don't have to say the word in order for people to know exactly what you mean.

And the above makes you a good priest and speaker. Folks tell you weekly and more their shortcomings, so it is good to remind them, even subtly that to be human is to be you, even though when you point the way that to be Fully Human Is to Be In Him.

There is a very, very long line of people, just as anxious as you are, to remind me that I am really a terrible human being.  I know it, my wife knows it, my confessor knows it, and most anyone that has spent more than 10 minutes in my presence knows it.  My sins are many, and my virtues are non-existent.  I have just learned to limp along, knowing the next slip is right around the corner.  In the end, my only hope is to have some mercy on others (which is why I have directed my ire at the 'art' here rather than the artists).

Then you are a better man than I. Taking it out on the artist, as in even truthfully speaking to them, though they be women in this case and rather difficult, it the job of us peons to do so. Not only praying for them but actually telling them stuff. A peon problem is how to tell folks in a "Christian" way that their stuff stinks? Not being a professional, all trained and polished to talk pretty and gently, how can one tell another those things....I know it is in/with love but .......well, you know, you too are human.
In your long line of folks ready to tell you what's so, there is another ready to follow you to hell and back, so.....we pray for you, both generically and specifically. I will also pray against you, that you listen more to the ones that may bring up the fact that you are simply human, not "terribly" human, obviously. He doesn't save broken junk, just Loves it.

The one thing I do count on is that I don't deserve mercy, and I certainly can't count on receiving it.  Most clergy know that the high expectations people have of us, especially here in the US, leads to burn-out and crash-and-burn.  We struggle with all kinds of temptations.  My wife is my 'supervisor' and let's me know when I'm getting ready to or crossing the line. 
Her remarks were that I simply should not be on this forum at all, because people want a 'priest' and not 'me.'  When I remind them that I am more than just a generic, wind-up priest, then they will get upset.[/size][/font]

Let them spin, crash and burn as those folks brought their own agenda to the meet. And it's not yours. You might remind them that Romans states that hardships builds character, etc.
As for mercy, most folks wish to give and don't know how, as you know it is very painful and personal to do.  I pray you will develop those folks to be able and capable to do so.
Sounds like you got a good wife. Keep her and as Otis Redding sang well, "Try a little tenderness". Oh, and thanks, Father. Prayers will be said for you this day.

Just for clarification, the Starbucks logo isn't profane... but patterning the Virgin Mary after the Starbuck's Siren is IMHO...

Also, I imagine the only way I'll ever get people to follow me "to hell and back" is if I offer free beer.  I would have said free marijuana, but I've had lousy luck getting my stoner friends to even get off the futon...    8)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:45:54 PM by FatherGiryus »
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7381 on: August 17, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »
I have felt more than welcome here, which is why I came back after my hiatus.  But, I know that I am opening myself up to the "Hey PRIEST" thing, which is as understandable as it is predictable.  When I try to talk to clergy about non-church stuff, I discover they have no interest in welding or BB guns or power tools, and I can't share their enthusiasm for cigars and imported single-malt (those seem to the latest craze after the car craze a few years ago... this is most likely a regional phenomenon).
I am a loner, because I was not born in the Church, but I also did not convert from another Christian tradition/movement.  I also don't come from the Middle Class (as a social phenomenon), so I fit in even less with most clergy who emanate from there (this includes most Arab clergy, who either come from priestly families or abhor anything that gets your hands dirty).
My wife's wisdom comes from years of patient tolerance of my years of tool collecting, insane construction projects, and just general difficult behavior.
My daughters think I am the male incarnate version of Princess Bubblegum with a parish full of Candy People... (you have to watch Adventure Time to get the reference).

Well, is there enough internet to talk about tools? Except for welding and once SWMBO gets over the fact that I want some gear in that area, just for tinkering, then maybe I'll get some prior to my demise, but I ain't betting the farm on that. Looking at Harbor Freight, unless......you can recommend a specific better set (yeah, all are better than Chinese junk) for an idiot.
As I came from peon class then........it's all good (though I hate that expression). Widowed Mexican moms had it lousy or any single mom has it tough no matter where......
As to your daughters, well, enjoy; once they become you-know-what-agers, then you will find out they know everything, you understand nothing and Mom does double duty in listening and talking. She could practice now, however for you my advice is to start practicing Silence, except to SWMBO and only behind closed doors. Ton more advice I tell newlyweds, three words always say: please, thank you. In your case, love their mom and they will be decent women, someday.
Rather talk tools, mostly wood, oh, wait, I am being "Watched" and forget this is a not only a public forum, but the thread has major baring for the moderator.
Never mind.
Lunch time and the fast is over!
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7382 on: August 17, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »
Just for clarification, the Starbucks logo isn't profane... but patterning the Virgin Mary after the Starbuck's Siren is IMHO...

It is?  I can see someone in 300 AD liking some pose of Hera, or some empress, or whomever and converting it to some doodle of Mary as an act of appreciation for Mary and the art being viewed.  It's not like the art is formally devotional or anything.   Even still, how many old Roman and Greek poses, symbols, and images got appropriated by Christain symbology and representation in actual devotional practice and art - much less secular Renaissance paintings.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:25:12 PM by William T »

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #7383 on: August 17, 2015, 05:09:50 PM »
I like you, it's just you got that priest thingy going on which short circuits the God-thingy for me, the peon.
You're all right...and your wife is better, so listen to her; and quit dissing women by posting trash.

After talking with Wife #1, I've a new problem question for you, the Priest, generically speaking:
Should you publicly confess a personal shortcoming (sin) of yours to the congregation during a sermon or homily? Like anger, avarice or passion, or such.
My priest does 3 out of 4 Sundays (who's counting, eh?) and it is very helpful in terms of the above (snide "priest-thingy") as we do forget your role and position.
Oh, and that is why prayers are said daily for priests. It may be to easy to get a swelled head (pride) with the power/role given to you. That's why it's important to listen to your wife....she there to help remind you, and though not married to you, I'll help if needed.

For a 'peon' you talk awful big... just saying...   ;)

You are right, good Priest. The American peon is not the Old World type as we do not quake well in the presence of power or authority. Rather different from Orthodoxy.

I don't treat anyone like trash.  Just for reference, all three images were painted by women IIRC.  The first two are presented as being actual devotionals, though the third was purposeful sacrilege.  I put the coffee mug in the first category, though due to the origins of the Siren logo for Starbuck, it is also sacrilegious.

I believe and trust you treat no one as trash.
Those photos did treat women as such. As a proud peon, don't care who painted them, women or Jackson Pollack, it is just they do not whole women-folks up to standards that.....well, you know better than I.
I didn't know Starbucks was profane in the sense that they took something special with which to begin.  Just a mermaid I thought and a lousy rendition.
Out here on the Left Coast anyway friends don't take friends to Starbucks.

I am pretty transparent about my own sins, to the extent that the listeners can bear it when it comes to sermons.  I think there are subtle ways to express more uncomfortable truths, but most people figure out pretty quick, and you don't have to say the word in order for people to know exactly what you mean.

And the above makes you a good priest and speaker. Folks tell you weekly and more their shortcomings, so it is good to remind them, even subtly that to be human is to be you, even though when you point the way that to be Fully Human Is to Be In Him.

There is a very, very long line of people, just as anxious as you are, to remind me that I am really a terrible human being.  I know it, my wife knows it, my confessor knows it, and most anyone that has spent more than 10 minutes in my presence knows it.  My sins are many, and my virtues are non-existent.  I have just learned to limp along, knowing the next slip is right around the corner.  In the end, my only hope is to have some mercy on others (which is why I have directed my ire at the 'art' here rather than the artists).

Then you are a better man than I. Taking it out on the artist, as in even truthfully speaking to them, though they be women in this case and rather difficult, it the job of us peons to do so. Not only praying for them but actually telling them stuff. A peon problem is how to tell folks in a "Christian" way that their stuff stinks? Not being a professional, all trained and polished to talk pretty and gently, how can one tell another those things....I know it is in/with love but .......well, you know, you too are human.
In your long line of folks ready to tell you what's so, there is another ready to follow you to hell and back, so.....we pray for you, both generically and specifically. I will also pray against you, that you listen more to the ones that may bring up the fact that you are simply human, not "terribly" human, obviously. He doesn't save broken junk, just Loves it.

The one thing I do count on is that I don't deserve mercy, and I certainly can't count on receiving it.  Most clergy know that the high expectations people have of us, especially here in the US, leads to burn-out and crash-and-burn.  We struggle with all kinds of temptations.  My wife is my 'supervisor' and let's me know when I'm getting ready to or crossing the line. 
Her remarks were that I simply should not be on this forum at all, because people want a 'priest' and not 'me.'  When I remind them that I am more than just a generic, wind-up priest, then they will get upset.[/size][/font]

Let them spin, crash and burn as those folks brought their own agenda to the meet. And it's not yours. You might remind them that Romans states that hardships builds character, etc.
As for mercy, most folks wish to give and don't know how, as you know it is very painful and personal to do.  I pray you will develop those folks to be able and capable to do so.
Sounds like you got a good wife. Keep her and as Otis Redding sang well, "Try a little tenderness". Oh, and thanks, Father. Prayers will be said for you this day.

Also, I imagine the only way I'll ever get people to follow me "to hell and back" is if I offer free beer.  I would have said free marijuana, but I've had lousy luck getting my stoner friends to even get off the futon...    8)

Look at it this way:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZObXQe1lqI  (Yikes, they sound like the guys that used to play at every wedding back in my dark, old, unenlightened ethnic ghetto days before I started reading oc.net.....)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #7384 on: August 17, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »

It is?  I can see someone in 300 AD liking some pose of Hera, or some empress, or whomever and converting it to some doodle of Mary as an act of appreciation for Mary and the art being viewed.  It's not like the art is formally devotional or anything.   Even still, how many old Roman and Greek poses, symbols, and images got appropriated by Christain symbology and representation in actual devotional practice and art - much less secular Renaissance paintings.

Yeah, from what I can remember from my art history textbook, a lot of early Christian iconography did indeed borrow from the artistic conventions of the surrounding cultures, those of ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome.

That being said, though, there seems to be a difference between an image of Hera (which is essentially a sacred or religious depiction, albeit a pagan one) and the Starbucks coffee logo (which is a corporate commercial logo). It's not an exact equivalence and I could see someone arguing that adapting the former into Christian iconography is fine, but doing the same with the latter might not necessarily be so.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7385 on: August 17, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »

Yeah, from what I can remember from my art history textbook, a lot of early Christian iconography did indeed borrow from the artistic conventions of the surrounding cultures, those of ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome.

That being said, though, there seems to be a difference between an image of Hera (which is essentially a sacred or religious depiction, albeit a pagan one) and the Starbucks coffee logo (which is a corporate commercial logo). It's not an exact equivalence and I could see someone arguing that adapting the former into Christian iconography is fine, but doing the same with the latter might not necessarily be so.

We certainly took a lot from the cultures The Church grew up in and evangelized to, it's unavoidable.  I think this is something that alarms some Americans/Protestants but it's just how things are.  I also don't think the line of sacred/profane is really all to stark and may lead to a lot of confusion and be a bit of a bad dichotomy that leads to some fallacious thinking (if I read Fr. Schmemmann right in "For the Life of the World".)

Anyway, I can see someone looking at the "pop art" design and style used in the Starbucks logo and using that style to depict something else.  I could see someone enjoying doric columns , mosaics, or Hellenic red figure or geometrical vase .painting and using that style to craft a non Hellenic work.  I get that one may be  superior in form and more appropriate for liturgical use, but that's a different issue.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:50:27 PM by William T »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7386 on: August 17, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »
I'm sorry, but I must have not communicated my complete objection.

Let me try this again.

Siren:
In Greek mythology, the Sirens (Greek singular: Σειρήν Seirēn; Greek plural: Σειρῆνες Seirēnes) were dangerous yet beautiful creatures, who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island. Roman poets placed them on some small islands called Sirenum scopuli. In some later, rationalised traditions, the literal geography of the "flowery" island of Anthemoessa, or Anthemusa, is fixed: sometimes on Cape Pelorum and at others in the islands known as the Sirenuse, near Paestum, or in Capreae. All such locations were surrounded by cliffs and rocks.

At least Hera is a dignified pagan deity.

A Siren is not.  A Siren is a destroyer of men, a force of evil.

As if the tails and toplessness wasn't enough of an indicator... patterning the Theotokos after a Siren is just wrong.  Period.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7387 on: August 17, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »

Let me try this again.

Siren:
In Greek mythology, the Sirens (Greek singular: Σειρήν Seirēn; Greek plural: Σειρῆνες Seirēnes) were dangerous yet beautiful creatures, who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island. Roman poets placed them on some small islands called Sirenum scopuli. In some later, rationalised traditions, the literal geography of the "flowery" island of Anthemoessa, or Anthemusa, is fixed: sometimes on Cape Pelorum and at others in the islands known as the Sirenuse, near Paestum, or in Capreae. All such locations were surrounded by cliffs and rocks.

As if the tails and toplessness wasn't enough of an indicator... patterning the Theotokos after a Siren is just wrong.  Period.

Well and good Father but the two tailed mermaid mascot is named Siren, not a Siren, those are birds with women's heads or upper torsos.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7388 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:58 PM »

Let me try this again.

Siren:

I'm still going to quibble with you a bit on this.

1)  I don't really think.the Greeks looked at the sirens as evil, just kind of a force that was a hazard to sailors   But this is a minor point.

2) If I knew that logo was a Siren (I didn't), I would think this: Starbucks, siren, Seattle....I get it...it's cool sailor imagery and coastal town symbols. If you sail, you see these kind of things all over the place.   I think my speculations would end there. I don't think there is any need to care too much about the ultimate origin of mythological things, though it's useful and fun to do, these are just part of our day life.

A lot of our practices are from old pagan times.  I would be more worried about occult stuff / esoteric sects, but that isn't the case with sirens, goregons, flying horses, leprechauns, fairies, or whatever.  I'm glad and grateful they still exist in people's practice and imagination, it makes life more fun and interesting, and they usually exist as mascots anyway.

3) I didn't know the Starbucks girl was a siren.  I bet it's safe to assume is possible many people don't.  It's probably likely enough just to see an interesting design of a woman with a crown and think nothing past that.

If someone saw just that and thought "pretty woman with crown = I'll turn it into Queen Mary", that should be perfectly fine, right?  I don't think that's an.unlikely scenario.

4) Even more harmless though, it may have just been an appropriation of style.  Someone liked the style of representation.

Ex:  If I saw an impressionist painting of a female siren, what's the harm of doing an impressionist painting of Mary?

I'm not saying I don't get offended by bad taste, and that the Starbucks at is great:  I'd rather hear secular country, R&B songs, jazz songs or whatever about religious themes than I would "Christian Rock", rap, or whatever...but that's a different story.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:24:04 PM by William T »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #7389 on: August 18, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7390 on: August 18, 2015, 10:43:54 PM »

That's what dads and shotguns were made for.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7391 on: August 18, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »

The wheels on the bus go round and round.  Round and round, round and round.  The wheels on the bus go round and round.  All through the town.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7392 on: August 19, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »

The wheels on the bus go round and round.  Round and round, round and round.  The wheels on the bus go round and round.  All through the town.

?

I do not remember this song.

When I was a kid we sang this song while hiking:

I love to go a-wandering,
Along the mountain track,
And as I go,I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.

Val-deri, Val-dera,
Val-deri, Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri, Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

(although I think we used "la" instead of "ha". "Ha" and strenuous hiking are incompatible in my opinion.)
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7393 on: August 19, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »

?

My knapsack on my back.

Val-deri, Val-dera,
Val-deri, Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

(although I think we used "la" instead of "ha". "Ha" and strenuous hiking are incompatible in my opinion.)

Wife #1 and I were singing this last night! all while not hiking, just in the kitchen so we used "HA".
 ;D

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7394 on: August 20, 2015, 12:51:25 AM »

?

My knapsack on my back.

Val-deri, Val-dera,
Val-deri, Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

Wife #1 and I were singing this last night! all while not hiking, just in the kitchen so we used "HA".
 ;D

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7395 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:01 AM »

?

My knapsack on my back.

Val-deri, Val-dera,
Val-deri, Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

;D
Where was Wife #2 while this was going on?
God bless!

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #7396 on: August 20, 2015, 05:47:30 PM »

(It isn't photoshopped)
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #7397 on: August 20, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7398 on: August 20, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
God bless!

Offline Serg-antr

« Reply #7399 on: August 21, 2015, 04:01:55 AM »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:04:08 AM by Serg-antr »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7400 on: August 21, 2015, 06:32:58 AM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7401 on: August 21, 2015, 06:45:15 AM »
^ I like them both.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #7402 on: August 21, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »

(It isn't photoshopped)

Prove it!
There's nothing to prove, the paint job is real:

(Fr. Symeon of Mount Athos)
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7403 on: August 21, 2015, 10:16:17 AM »
I meant to say like I want a story article about these planes. Where are these planes? What ocassion is their flights and their paintings? Etc.  I like to know at least the website you got them from.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7404 on: August 21, 2015, 10:27:46 AM »
I meant to say like I want a story article about these planes. Where are these planes? What ocassion is their flights and their paintings? Etc.  I like to know at least the website you got them from.

From the markings, they appear to be Greek Air Force Dassault Mirage 2000s.

They may also be for sale, as most of Greece may soon be.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7405 on: August 21, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »
Lol!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7406 on: August 21, 2015, 10:52:22 AM »

From the markings, they appear to be Greek Air Force Dassault Mirage 2000s.

They may also be for sale, as most of Greece may soon be.

They do look like Mirage 2000s. I'm pretty sure that is photo shopped though.
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7407 on: August 21, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
Ya, forgive me if I don't take someone's word that it's not photoshopped if all you're giving me is a picture with no website linked.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7408 on: August 21, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7409 on: August 21, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
If you look at the leading edge slat on the large picture, you can see that is it adjusted which should affect how the halo edge looks. Instead, the halo still looks perfectly intact. The same with the slats on the other wing which are also lowered and should likewise change the image.

Its a photoshop.
God bless!

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7410 on: August 21, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »
Oh, also this...

:D

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7411 on: August 21, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »
In honor of our much-beloved and well-respected Section Moderator, Minasoliman, I present the Egyptian Air Force alternative...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7412 on: August 21, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »
In honor of our much-beloved and well-respected Section Moderator, Minasoliman, I present the Egyptian Air Force alternative...

Bravo!
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7413 on: August 21, 2015, 12:07:19 PM »
Some Copt in Egypt will see this and start spreading rumors that our president converted :P

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7414 on: August 21, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
Some Copt in Egypt will see this and start spreading rumors that our president converted :P

One of my Egyptian friends has reported that people in Cairo are starting to refer to themselves as 'Coptic Moslems.'  Perhaps the conversion can take place very, very slowly...   ;)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7415 on: August 21, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »

One of my Egyptian friends has reported that people in Cairo are starting to refer to themselves as 'Coptic Moslems.'  Perhaps the conversion can take place very, very slowly...   ;)

I would hope that's the case, but I think it's more of a political ploy...one of those "ich bin ein Berliner" type of speech
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:38:33 PM by minasoliman »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7416 on: August 21, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »

I would hope that's the case, but I think it's more of a political ploy...one of those "ich bin ein Berliner" type of speech

Perhaps more of a way of saying "I'm not a Moslem Brotherhoodlum."

My friend mentioned she was passed over for jobs because, as a Christian, she was not "Egyptian."  I do think it is significant that more Moslems are willing to view their Christian neighbors as loyal members of the country, and perhaps even more reliable that their Moslem counterparts.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7417 on: August 21, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #7418 on: August 22, 2015, 01:08:03 AM »

Perhaps more of a way of saying "I'm not a Moslem Brotherhoodlum."

My friend mentioned she was passed over for jobs because, as a Christian, she was not "Egyptian."  I do think it is significant that more Moslems are willing to view their Christian neighbors as loyal members of the country, and perhaps even more reliable that their Moslem counterparts.

I also pray these words be true Father.  It just seems however that in reading contemporary Egyptian history, it's more of a cycling phase with a barrage of kind words and no action.   I want to be optimistic, but I find it hard to find it given the similar patterns in the past.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #7419 on: August 22, 2015, 02:07:27 AM »

These are great. Who's the artist?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #7420 on: August 22, 2015, 06:22:35 AM »

These are great. Who's the artist?

No idea. I just noticed that one of my Coptic friends on FB had "liked it". Probably they were originally here
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:07:51 AM by Justin Kissel »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7422 on: August 22, 2015, 07:31:50 AM »

"Grade 2-5–Chock-full of intriguing, gross, and bizarre facts about animal and human excrement, Goodman's free-range text discusses everything from Tyrannosaurus rex dung to the evolution of toilet paper. The three main sections outline animal elimination practices, the processes of human excretion and plumbing, and helpful uses for poop..."

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7423 on: August 22, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »

"Grade 2-5–Chock-full of intriguing, gross, and bizarre facts about animal and human excrement, Goodman's free-range text discusses everything from Tyrannosaurus rex dung to the evolution of toilet paper. The three main sections outline animal elimination practices, the processes of human excretion and plumbing, and helpful uses for poop..."

Didn't the Babylonians worship or "have a thing" about poop?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #7424 on: August 23, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
Missing one more nail for Orthodox version ;)