Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 2093314 times)

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #7335 on: August 11, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »

The Burning of Judas in Crete was, quite literally, how I was introduced to Orthodox Christianity.  For some of you, this may explain a lot about me...

Do they also put the face of hated public figures there? Here, recently, it has been mostly politicans...

Just Judas' face, from what I saw...
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7336 on: August 12, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »

The Burning of Judas in Crete was, quite literally, how I was introduced to Orthodox Christianity.  For some of you, this may explain a lot about me...

Looks like fun.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #7337 on: August 13, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »
Wedding in Georgia (4000 metres above sea level)

Whereat?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7338 on: August 13, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #7339 on: August 14, 2015, 04:59:50 AM »
Royal Martyr Anastasia wearing false teeth for the camera.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #7340 on: August 14, 2015, 06:28:14 AM »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7341 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:39 AM »

LBK needs to be consulted, posthaste!
God bless!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7342 on: August 14, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
I'm going to get one of those covers for my phone, but with St. Justin Popovich on it. Then I'm going to grab the files from youtube in which St. Justin is recorded giving a sermon, and use that as my ring tone. Every time someone calls, and I hear that voice and see that icon, it will be like St. Justin is right there with me, with a compassionate yet firm hand guiding me through the trials of life.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7343 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »
I have never before heard of the burning of Judas. I'm pretty glad they don't do it where I live.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #7344 on: August 15, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »

Ironically, the company that makes these is owned by devout Seventh-Day Adventists, a religion generally known for advocating strict dieting.

I'm sure John Harvey Kellogg (who was also a devout Adventist and an advocate of bland foods) would be turning over in his grave over some of the stuff that's now sold under the Kellogg's name, too.

I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7345 on: August 15, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
I didn't know that. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #7346 on: August 15, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
I didn't know that. :)

The Road to Wellville is a semi truthful semi comedic take on Kellogg and his sanatorium in Ohio
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7347 on: August 15, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »
I apologize for the progression, but it will make the blasphemy clearer this way...

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #7348 on: August 15, 2015, 11:36:38 PM »
I just saw this after the Schlock comment...lol
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7349 on: August 16, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
I suppose we can be thankful that there are no boobs on the coffee cup...
God bless!

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #7350 on: August 16, 2015, 08:11:28 PM »

Yeah, it's not like it's a Maria Lactans icon or anything.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:12:03 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7351 on: August 16, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »

Don't give 'em any ideas...

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7352 on: August 16, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »

Yeah, it's not like it's a Maria Lactans icon or anything.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7353 on: August 16, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
I didn't think it could get worse, and then it did...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:15:19 PM by FatherGiryus »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7354 on: August 16, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
This one I won't post directly, since it may be offensive to most and tempting to some (warning: hyper-realistic portrayal of female anatomy posing as some kind of demi-Christian art).

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7355 on: August 16, 2015, 09:36:01 PM »
HEY, Priest, where in hell do you get such stuff?
Remind me to stay away.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7356 on: August 16, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »
This one I won't post directly, since it may be offensive to most and tempting to some (warning: hyper-realistic portrayal of female anatomy posing as some kind of demi-Christian art).
Urk.  :o
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7357 on: August 16, 2015, 11:00:57 PM »
Remind me to stay away.

At the prompting of another poster, I typed "Maria Lactans icon" and those were the images I got along with a few Byzantine examples.

Frankly, there are far more anatomically-correct, and perhaps more tempting, marble statues of nude women from the Classical period that are far more suggestive than these horrid bits of modern art.  The fact that we are swimming in such drivel should be no shock.  Most of it is far more profane than erotic.  But, we laugh about 'Buddy Jesus,' but then get Victorian about some poorly-drawn breasts.  Strange lot we Americans are...

I didn't hide the image because of the breast... I hid it because of the Virgin the artist sought to mock, though I do also get that some people can be stimulated by just about anything...

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7358 on: August 17, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »
Here's a less controversial picture (my apologies to all those potentially offended by my previous)...

File this under, "What kind of outfit IS that?!"

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #7359 on: August 17, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
Remind me to stay away.

At the prompting of another poster, I typed "Maria Lactans icon" and those were the images I got along with a few Byzantine examples.

Frankly, there are far more anatomically-correct, and perhaps more tempting, marble statues of nude women from the Classical period that are far more suggestive than these horrid bits of modern art.  The fact that we are swimming in such drivel should be no shock.  Most of it is far more profane than erotic.  But, we laugh about 'Buddy Jesus,' but then get Victorian about some poorly-drawn breasts.  Strange lot we Americans are...

I didn't hide the image because of the breast... I hid it because of the Virgin the artist sought to mock, though I do also get that some people can be stimulated by just about anything...

Well, some good could come out of such images.

You would have dropped and broken the coffee mug if you were holding it and reading this thread at the same time...thereby breaking the cup and shorting out your computer.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #7360 on: August 17, 2015, 11:35:20 AM »
Here's a less controversial picture (my apologies to all those potentially offended by my previous)...

Perhaps his kids made 'Orthodox' lamp shades at VBS or summer Camp and dad was persuaded to pose with the shade and a curtain?  Nah...

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7361 on: August 17, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »

Perhaps his kids made 'Orthodox' lamp shades at VBS or summer Camp and dad was persuaded to pose with the shade and a curtain?  Nah...

There was a certain Orthodox priest who ended up on the Bad Vestments Blog by wearing a phelonion made by a Sunday school class...

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7362 on: August 17, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »

You would have dropped and broken the coffee mug if you were holding it and reading this thread at the same time...thereby breaking the cup and shorting out your computer.

There are plenty of people who wish that I would just throw out my computer altogether.  Then again, how would I receive and answer all those all-caps emails and PMs I get?   ;)

Last night, my wife said, "You know, you need to stop reminding people that you are you.  I don't think they like the you that you are."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:44:10 PM by FatherGiryus »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7363 on: August 17, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »
There was a certain Orthodox priest who ended up on the Bad Vestments Blog by wearing a phelonion made by a Sunday school class...

He still wears it.  I just saw it a few weeks ago. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7364 on: August 17, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »

Well, every man has his temptations.  The only real difference is how much effort we are willing to fight them.

My temptation is to wind people up.  His temptation is to wear that...

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7365 on: August 17, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »

There are plenty of people who wish that I would just throw out my computer altogether.  Then again, how would I receive and answer all those all-caps emails and PMs I get?   ;)

Last night, my wife said, "You know, you need to stop reminding people that you are you.  I don't think they like the you that you are."

I like you, it's just you got that priest thingy going on which short circuits the God-thingy for me, the peon.
You're all right...and your wife is better, so listen to her; and quit dissing women by posting trash.

After talking with Wife #1, I've a new problem question for you, the Priest, generically speaking:
Should you publicly confess a personal shortcoming (sin) of yours to the congregation during a sermon or homily? Like anger, avarice or passion, or such.
My priest does 3 out of 4 Sundays (who's counting, eh?) and it is very helpful in terms of the above (snide "priest-thingy") as we do forget your role and position.
Oh, and that is why prayers are said daily for priests. It may be to easy to get a swelled head (pride) with the power/role given to you. That's why it's important to listen to your wife....she there to help remind you, and though not married to you, I'll help if needed.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7366 on: August 17, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »

Well, every man has his temptations.  The only real difference is how much effort we are willing to fight them.

Looking on the bright side, his Sunday school class teachers might not have added their special talents to the project, which means he could have ended up with this:

If they were having a 'lock-in' complete with sleepover, he could do Compline in pajama vestments...

Warning: the more you look, the creepier it gets...

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7367 on: August 17, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
I like you, it's just you got that priest thingy going on which short circuits the God-thingy for me, the peon.
You're all right...and your wife is better, so listen to her; and quit dissing women by posting trash.

After talking with Wife #1, I've a new problem question for you, the Priest, generically speaking:
Should you publicly confess a personal shortcoming (sin) of yours to the congregation during a sermon or homily? Like anger, avarice or passion, or such.
My priest does 3 out of 4 Sundays (who's counting, eh?) and it is very helpful in terms of the above (snide "priest-thingy") as we do forget your role and position.
Oh, and that is why prayers are said daily for priests. It may be to easy to get a swelled head (pride) with the power/role given to you. That's why it's important to listen to your wife....she there to help remind you, and though not married to you, I'll help if needed.

For a 'peon' you talk awful big... just saying...   ;)

I don't treat anyone like trash.  Just for reference, all three images were painted by women IIRC.  The first two are presented as being actual devotionals, though the third was purposeful sacrilege.  I put the coffee mug in the first category, though due to the origins of the Siren logo for Starbuck, it is also sacrilegious.

I am pretty transparent about my own sins, to the extent that the listeners can bear it when it comes to sermons.  I think there are subtle ways to express more uncomfortable truths, but most people figure out pretty quick, and you don't have to say the word in order for people to know exactly what you mean.

There is a very, very long line of people, just as anxious as you are, to remind me that I am really a terrible human being.  I know it, my wife knows it, my confessor knows it, and most anyone that has spent more than 10 minutes in my presence knows it.  My sins are many, and my virtues are non-existent.  I have just learned to limp along, knowing the next slip is right around the corner.  In the end, my only hope is to have some mercy on others (which is why I have directed my ire at the 'art' here rather than the artists).

The one thing I do count on is that I don't deserve mercy, and I certainly can't count on receiving it.  Most clergy know that the high expectations people have of us, especially here in the US, leads to burn-out and crash-and-burn.  We struggle with all kinds of temptations.  My wife is my 'supervisor' and let's me know when I'm getting ready to or crossing the line. 

Her remarks were that I simply should not be on this forum at all, because people want a 'priest' and not 'me.'  When I remind them that I am more than just a generic, wind-up priest, then they will get upset.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:40:19 PM by FatherGiryus »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7368 on: August 17, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
I like the fact that you are here. You give good advice and it is also nice to see the "person" side of priests instead of just their "liturgical" side.  :)

Not that my opinion is worth anything to your wife at all, but anyways... I thought I should at least throw it out there.
God bless!

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7369 on: August 17, 2015, 02:28:43 PM »
I'm not sure if this is mentally retarded because of the job or if the argument repeats itself in circles.
Learn meditation.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7370 on: August 17, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »
I like the fact that you are here. You give good advice and it is also nice to see the "person" side of priests instead of just their "liturgical" side.  :)

Not that my opinion is worth anything to your wife at all, but anyways... I thought I should at least throw it out there.

I have felt more than welcome here, which is why I came back after my hiatus.  But, I know that I am opening myself up to the "Hey PRIEST" thing, which is as understandable as it is predictable.  When I try to talk to clergy about non-church stuff, I discover they have no interest in welding or BB guns or power tools, and I can't share their enthusiasm for cigars and imported single-malt (those seem to the latest craze after the car craze a few years ago... this is most likely a regional phenomenon).

I am a loner, because I was not born in the Church, but I also did not convert from another Christian tradition/movement.  I also don't come from the Middle Class (as a social phenomenon), so I fit in even less with most clergy who emanate from there (this includes most Arab clergy, who either come from priestly families or abhor anything that gets your hands dirty).

My wife's wisdom comes from years of patient tolerance of my years of tool collecting, insane construction projects, and just general difficult behavior.

My daughters think I am the male incarnate version of Princess Bubblegum with a parish full of Candy People... (you have to watch Adventure Time to get the reference).

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7371 on: August 17, 2015, 02:41:27 PM »

It's a shame that the BadVestments Blog has been inactive for a few years.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7372 on: August 17, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »

It's a shame that the BadVestments Blog has been inactive for a few years.

My sense was that the blogger was a genuinely pious Christian, and that it simply became too depressing to maintain.  My own blog fell into the same pit, where I was just getting too sad to write.  Still can't bring myself to do much with it.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7373 on: August 17, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »

On a more serious note, how do we contrast this act (in the photo) with St. John Maximovitch wearing a paper-mache mitre that school kids made?  What is the difference or is there none?

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7374 on: August 17, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »

On a more serious note, how do we contrast this act (in the photo) with St. John Maximovitch wearing a paper-mache mitre that school kids made?  What is the difference or is there none?

Well, a few things:

1) I don't know if he did (this is the first I've heard of it).
2) I don't know if he wore it to a service.
3) I don't know if he wore it to more than one service.
4) I don't know if his actions make it normative (after all, how many expect holy people to cook their meals on a dung fire? [c.f. Ez 4:12]).

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #7375 on: August 17, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
Santa Claus before he was usurbed by the weirdo fat guy in red:

The men dressed as Nuuttipukki wandered from house to house, came in, and typically demanded food from the household and especially leftover alcoholic beverages.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Knut%27s_Day#Finland
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7376 on: August 17, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »

The men dressed as Nuuttipukki wandered from house to house, came in, and typically demanded food from the household and especially leftover alcoholic beverages.

From the sound of the description, he was the very first American college student...    ;D

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7377 on: August 17, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »

For a 'peon' you talk awful big... just saying...   ;)

You are right, good Priest. The American peon is not the Old World type as we do not quake well in the presence of power or authority. Rather different from Orthodoxy.

I don't treat anyone like trash.  Just for reference, all three images were painted by women IIRC.  The first two are presented as being actual devotionals, though the third was purposeful sacrilege.  I put the coffee mug in the first category, though due to the origins of the Siren logo for Starbuck, it is also sacrilegious.

I believe and trust you treat no one as trash.
Those photos did treat women as such. As a proud peon, don't care who painted them, women or Jackson Pollack, it is just they do not whole women-folks up to standards that.....well, you know better than I.
I didn't know Starbucks was profane in the sense that they took something special with which to begin.  Just a mermaid I thought and a lousy rendition.
Out here on the Left Coast anyway friends don't take friends to Starbucks.

I am pretty transparent about my own sins, to the extent that the listeners can bear it when it comes to sermons.  I think there are subtle ways to express more uncomfortable truths, but most people figure out pretty quick, and you don't have to say the word in order for people to know exactly what you mean.

And the above makes you a good priest and speaker. Folks tell you weekly and more their shortcomings, so it is good to remind them, even subtly that to be human is to be you, even though when you point the way that to be Fully Human Is to Be In Him.

There is a very, very long line of people, just as anxious as you are, to remind me that I am really a terrible human being.  I know it, my wife knows it, my confessor knows it, and most anyone that has spent more than 10 minutes in my presence knows it.  My sins are many, and my virtues are non-existent.  I have just learned to limp along, knowing the next slip is right around the corner.  In the end, my only hope is to have some mercy on others (which is why I have directed my ire at the 'art' here rather than the artists).

Then you are a better man than I. Taking it out on the artist, as in even truthfully speaking to them, though they be women in this case and rather difficult, it the job of us peons to do so. Not only praying for them but actually telling them stuff. A peon problem is how to tell folks in a "Christian" way that their stuff stinks? Not being a professional, all trained and polished to talk pretty and gently, how can one tell another those things....I know it is in/with love but .......well, you know, you too are human.
In your long line of folks ready to tell you what's so, there is another ready to follow you to hell and back, so.....we pray for you, both generically and specifically. I will also pray against you, that you listen more to the ones that may bring up the fact that you are simply human, not "terribly" human, obviously. He doesn't save broken junk, just Loves it.

The one thing I do count on is that I don't deserve mercy, and I certainly can't count on receiving it.  Most clergy know that the high expectations people have of us, especially here in the US, leads to burn-out and crash-and-burn.  We struggle with all kinds of temptations.  My wife is my 'supervisor' and let's me know when I'm getting ready to or crossing the line. 
Her remarks were that I simply should not be on this forum at all, because people want a 'priest' and not 'me.'  When I remind them that I am more than just a generic, wind-up priest, then they will get upset.[/size][/font]

Let them spin, crash and burn as those folks brought their own agenda to the meet. And it's not yours. You might remind them that Romans states that hardships builds character, etc.
As for mercy, most folks wish to give and don't know how, as you know it is very painful and personal to do.  I pray you will develop those folks to be able and capable to do so.
Sounds like you got a good wife. Keep her and as Otis Redding sang well, "Try a little tenderness". Oh, and thanks, Father. Prayers will be said for you this day.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #7378 on: August 17, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »

From the sound of the description, he was the very first American college student...    ;D

Well it did remind me of Cyrillic. :angel:

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7379 on: August 17, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
Her remarks were that I simply should not be on this forum at all, because people want a 'priest' and not 'me.'  When I remind them that I am more than just a generic, wind-up priest, then they will get upset.[/size][/font]

I want "you", not "Father You". 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).