Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 2086209 times)

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #5760 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:28 PM »
Shall there be no end to the constant stream of pre-raphaelites?
What, you don't like color?
Most of it is horribly sentimental.

Why do consider this (sentimentality) horrible?
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5761 on: September 09, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »
I have to say this just looks strange.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5762 on: September 09, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »

I agree. Why is the Vatican's symbol up there?
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5763 on: September 09, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
Perhaps Pre-Raphaelite art is generally bad and devoid of genius, and kitsch is my way of describing sentimental, over-the-top paintings.

That's probably it.

Less is more, more is less. A maxim someone should have told the pre-raphaelites.

This reads like you got yourself into an indefensible hole. Each segment of the above phrase can be questioned. I hope you and I agree that it is not a particularly worthwhile conversation unless you are devoted to the notion.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5764 on: September 09, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »

I agree. Why is the Vatican's symbol up there?

Well, it is Catholic.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5765 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »
I am fortunate the have the largest collection of pre-Raphaelite paintings in the Western hemisphere about an hour drive away from me.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5766 on: September 09, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #5767 on: September 09, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »

I love these!  This also works when you stare at some picture with its reverse colors for a minute, and then when you close your eyes, you see the picture in its actual colors while your eyes are closed.  Really neat trick!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5768 on: September 10, 2014, 01:34:47 AM »

There's much to like about it, until one begins to consider all the ramifications. Oh, and until one notices a few of the glaring problems.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5769 on: September 10, 2014, 01:38:32 AM »
Shall there be no end to the constant stream of pre-raphaelites?
What, you don't like color?
Most of it is horribly sentimental.

Why do consider this (sentimentality) horrible?

The Victorian age took some of these good things and ran them into the ground for a century. Some people find it hard to look past all the kitsch -- altho, I must say, unless one has Victorian aunts or something I find it hard to comprehend how, at this late date, the era manages still to make some people so very irritable.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5770 on: September 10, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
Llamas say yes to Scottish independence!

My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #5771 on: September 11, 2014, 03:39:56 AM »
Llamas say yes to Scottish independence!

It would be a shame if the Union Jack were to be torn apart.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:40:30 AM by Cyrillic »

Raylight

« Reply #5772 on: September 11, 2014, 06:50:23 AM »
13 years ago :(

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:00:58 AM by Raylight »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5773 on: September 11, 2014, 05:47:09 PM »
Corinth Canal

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5774 on: September 11, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5775 on: September 11, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #5776 on: September 12, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »
Art reached it's height with Albrecht Durer.  Everything went downhill from there with a couple of assorted upticks.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5777 on: September 13, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
Strangely cartoony, but also a surprisingly accurate depiction of how Coptic bishops used to be vested.
https://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/76874979/hd/c7df96c71617de20734b6b23004e709f.jpg

EDIT: From this guy's page.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:59:38 AM by Regnare »
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5778 on: September 13, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5779 on: September 13, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »
Strangely cartoony, but also a surprisingly accurate depiction of how Coptic bishops used to be vested.
https://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/76874979/hd/c7df96c71617de20734b6b23004e709f.jpg

That's because the artist (I'm not sure if you want to call it iconography) is Coptic.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5780 on: September 13, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
« Reply #5781 on: September 13, 2014, 01:39:01 PM »
That's because the artist (I'm not sure if you want to call it iconography) is Coptic.
I wouldn't call it iconography, though I would say he borrows from Coptic icons for his style. Regardless, it's nice to see a depiction of a Coptic bishop's full vestments that isn't from the first half of the last century. Bring back full vesture in the Coptic Orthodox Church!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:39:42 PM by Regnare »
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #5782 on: September 13, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »

I love these.  They look very sophisticated compared to a 'cartoon' - and they hold a depth that is very different from a cartoon.  I could look at these all day long. 
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5783 on: September 13, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
I wouldn't call it iconography, though I would say he borrows from Coptic icons for his style. Regardless, it's nice to see a depiction of a Coptic bishop's full vestments that isn't from the first half of the last century. Bring back full vesture in the Coptic Orthodox Church!

Also notice the bishop all the way at the right carrying a message:  "Mia Physis tou Theo Logou Sesarkomene"...this guy has some pretty good knowledge of the Church.  He does not seem to just draw these willy nilly as if seeing other icons and creating his own style.

And he's a "Mina", so he's kool anyway ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:48:05 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5784 on: September 13, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »

I'd call it iconography, and I like it. Although the floating robes are a little different.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #5785 on: September 13, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »

Also notice the bishop all the way at the right carrying a message:  "Mia Physis tou Theo Logou Sesarkomene"...this guy has some pretty good knowledge of the Church.  He does not seem to just draw these willy nilly as if seeing other icons and creating his own style.

(forgive the momentary change of subject)

Mina, I noticed the artist's name is also 'Mina' is this a common name in Egypt?  What does it mean, if you don't mind my asking.
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5786 on: September 13, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »

Also notice the bishop all the way at the right carrying a message:  "Mia Physis tou Theo Logou Sesarkomene"...this guy has some pretty good knowledge of the Church.  He does not seem to just draw these willy nilly as if seeing other icons and creating his own style.

Just to add, the background wording is a Coptic hymn, "Megalo ArchiErevs", "The Great High Priest"...so he definitely has a message in that picture.  I like it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:51:16 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
« Reply #5787 on: September 13, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
Yeah, I've been wondering if any of the other bishops are meant to be identifiable the way St. Cyril is in that one. Similarly, does anyone know who the man is in the picture Nephi posted, the one in green robes being trod upon by Christ and St. Cyril?
Further addendum: I absolutely love Coptic script. It's beautiful. Just thought I'd say that.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5788 on: September 13, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »

Mina, I noticed the artist's name is also 'Mina' is this a common name in Egypt?  What does it mean, if you don't mind my asking.
We have a joke in the Coptic Church.  Go to a Coptic Church, and say "Mina!" Half the men's heads will turn.

The name was popularized since Pope St. Kyrillos VI the wonder-worker, who was a hermit monk named Fr. Mina the Solitary.  His patron saint was St. Mina the martyr.  According to the story, the boy was named Mina as a reflection of the "Amen!" his mother heard from heaven.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5789 on: September 13, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »
Yeah, I've been wondering if any of the other bishops are meant to be identifiable the way St. Cyril is in that one. Similarly, does anyone know who the man is in the picture Nephi posted, the one in green robes being trod upon by Christ and St. Cyril?
Further addendum: I absolutely love Coptic script. It's beautiful. Just thought I'd say that.
The "Mia Physis" part was actually written in Greek script.  The background of "Meghalo" (even though it's a Greek hymn) was written in Coptic script.  This guy seems to know his stuff.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #5790 on: September 13, 2014, 02:10:37 PM »

We have a joke in the Coptic Church.  Go to a Coptic Church, and say "Mina!" Half the men's heads will turn.

The name was popularized since Pope St. Kyrillos VI the wonder-worker, who was a hermit monk named Fr. Mina the Solitary.  His patron saint was St. Mina the martyr.  According to the story, the boy was named Mina as a reflection of the "Amen!" his mother heard from heaven.

Thank you for the link - wonderful read. :)
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5791 on: September 13, 2014, 02:14:47 PM »
This guy even knows how to draw the Christogram:

He definitely does not follow the Isaac Fanous mistake of the "index finger" "oneness" idea of iconography.

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
« Reply #5792 on: September 13, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
What's with the letter P (I think) in front of the usual XC? And is it common in Coptic icons to just write a Alpha and Omega in Christ's halo instead of some equivalent of "Ho On"? (Also, does the text around the edge say "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Hosts, Heaven and Earth are full of Thy glory", or am I guessing wrong?)
He definitely does not follow the Isaac Fanous mistake of the "index finger" "oneness" idea of iconography.
What's that?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5793 on: September 13, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »
What's with the letter P (I think) in front of the usual XC? And is it common in Coptic icons to just write a Alpha and Omega in Christ's halo instead of some equivalent of "Ho On"? (Also, does the text around the edge say "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Hosts, Heaven and Earth are full of Thy glory", or am I guessing wrong?)
What's that?
It's the Coptic definite article "Pi", which means "The":  PiXristos=The Christ

Famous Coptic iconographer, Isaac Fanous always drew his Christ Pantrocrator icons with the index finger pointing up as if to counter the "two fingers used by diophysites".  He mistakenly took the Christogram to mean "two fingers".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:34:58 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5794 on: September 13, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »
I'd call it iconography, and I like it. Although the floating robes are a little different.

Maybe there's a connection between this idea and the cappa magna.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5795 on: September 13, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
Similarly, does anyone know who the man is in the picture Nephi posted, the one in green robes being trod upon by Christ and St. Cyril?

Who is Nestorius?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: The Ancientist Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Patristic, Neptic, Hesychastic, Philoka-
« Reply #5796 on: September 13, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »
I'll take "Heretics and Heterodox" for 500, Alex!
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

"The human being is earth that suffers."
Letter of Barnabas 6.9

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5797 on: September 13, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »
Or SATs style:

Athanasius:Arius::Cyril:__________

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #5798 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:51 PM »

Welcome to FInland.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:26:02 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5799 on: September 14, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »
Don't turn left. Don't turn right. Just forget you ever saw the signs.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5800 on: September 14, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
Not my birdees, but cute! :)

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5801 on: September 14, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »
Virgin Mary with Child

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #5802 on: September 14, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »

Welcome to FInland.
LOL, that is what you might call a predicament.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5803 on: September 14, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »

I like this. This is how Ethiopian Orthodox make the sign of the Cross. The index finger and middle finger form the shape of the Cross, the thumb meets the ring and pinky fingers to symbolize the Trinity.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #5804 on: September 14, 2014, 08:19:57 PM »
The eyes make him look like manga.
God bless!