OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 03:10:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 244198 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3105 on: June 02, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »

The difference between Poland and Belarus is simply a matter of how much fuel I need for my tank.

LOL! .sig worthy.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #3106 on: June 02, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »

completely new, especially not yet used
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3107 on: June 03, 2013, 06:03:07 AM »

I particularly like it:

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #3108 on: June 03, 2013, 10:34:04 AM »

Thank you!  Interesting... he spent time here in America.

How was he martyred?  Nazis or communists?

Is there hagiographic material available on these saints in English?

Try here: http://www.lublin.cerkiew.pl/page.php?id=338

AFAIR now 10th anniversary of their glorification is being celebrated.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:35:56 AM by FatherGiryus » Logged

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3109 on: June 03, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »

Thank you!  Interesting... he spent time here in America.

How was he martyred?  Nazis or communists?

St. Basil? Poles, like most of them.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3110 on: June 06, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22786179

The monastery at Clonmacnoise, Ireland.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3111 on: June 06, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #3112 on: June 06, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of expressionist architecture, but this church is pretty nice.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #3113 on: June 06, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of expressionist architecture, but this church is pretty nice.

Huh, it looks like the Latin church in Istanbul, Saint Anthony of Padua in Beyoğlu.

Unfortunately, I did not take this picture, but my friend did.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:23:48 PM by KostaC » Logged

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #3114 on: June 06, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »

Huh, it looks like the Latin church in Istanbul, Saint Anthony of Padua in Beyoğlu.

Unfortunately, I did not take this picture, but my friend did.

It's a memorial church for one of our national thinkers, N.F.S. Grundtvig.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #3115 on: June 06, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »

Oh it's a Lutheran church!

Truth be told I really can't tell a Catholic church from a Lutheran church in the United States because few more contemporary churches follow any sort of architecture it seems to me. For example last year when I stayed with my three best friends in the summer home of one of them, my friends were kind enough to make Sunday our trip into the next city over, (not so) coincidentally where the Orthodox church is. Along the way we drove by a Catholic, Lutheran, and Episcopalian church, all of whom used nigh-identical Floridian architecture for their exterior.

Might I ask, does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Catholic church and High Church Lutheran church? It seems like with Anglican churches, they have the altar protrude from the wall where the Platytera would be, there's a railing where the faithful kneel to receive communion, and there are pews that face the sides near the altar that are raised a bit and farther away from the pews that face the altar where most of the congregation would sit. At least, that's sort of what it looks like from my perspective, as a former Anglicanophile who's only really visited four churches and a cathedral. What are some cues in order to tell what you're looking at is a High Church Lutheran, or any type of Lutheran church at all?

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #3116 on: June 06, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »

Oh it's a Lutheran church!

Truth be told I really can't tell a Catholic church from a Lutheran church in the United States because few more contemporary churches follow any sort of architecture it seems to me. For example last year when I stayed with my three best friends in the summer home of one of them, my friends were kind enough to make Sunday our trip into the next city over, (not so) coincidentally where the Orthodox church is. Along the way we drove by a Catholic, Lutheran, and Episcopalian church, all of whom used nigh-identical Floridian architecture for their exterior.

Might I ask, does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Catholic church and High Church Lutheran church? It seems like with Anglican churches, they have the altar protrude from the wall where the Platytera would be, there's a railing where the faithful kneel to receive communion, and there are pews that face the sides near the altar that are raised a bit and farther away from the pews that face the altar where most of the congregation would sit. At least, that's sort of what it looks like from my perspective, as a former Anglicanophile who's only really visited four churches and a cathedral. What are some cues in order to tell what you're looking at is a High Church Lutheran, or any type of Lutheran church at all?

Well, at least in Denmark, it's very easy. Catholic churches have a free-standing altar and a high altar or, in the case of new church buildings, just one free-standing altar. Lutheran churches only have have a high altar, often with an altarpiece. 

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3117 on: June 06, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »

Well, at least in Denmark, it's very easy. Catholic churches have a free-standing altar and a high altar or, in the case of new church buildings, just one free-standing altar. Lutheran churches only have have a high altar, often with an altarpiece. 

Interesting. I've thought Danish Lutherans are fairly low church. Finnish Lutherans often have this arrangement of two altars.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #3118 on: June 06, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »

Interesting. I've thought Danish Lutherans are fairly low church. Finnish Lutherans often have this arrangement of two altars.

Our liturgy is (in most cases) very low liturgical, but we never got that second altar.

This is the church in my villlage.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3119 on: June 06, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »

Our liturgy is (in most cases) very low liturgical, but we never got that second altar.

That's beautiful! Add some icons and it would be fit for Orthodox mass.

Here's what my childhood's village had:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:15:12 PM by Alpo » Logged

W.A.Mozart
Elder

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #3120 on: June 06, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #3121 on: June 06, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »

That's beautiful! Add some icons and it would be fit for Orthodox mass.

Here's what my childhood's village had:

That is a nice church.  Smiley

When I am inside a church, I always try to imagine how the it would look like if I removed the pews and installed an iconostasis.  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:22:13 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #3122 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:29 PM »

It is actually kind of sad. We don't have any wooden churches anymore, like they have in the rest of the North.

-St Silouan the athonite
KostaC

« Reply #3123 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »

When I am inside a church, I always try to imagine how the it would look like if I removed the pews and installed an iconostasis.  Tongue

You're not too far off. There's actually a type of liturgy in Orthodoxy that uses the High Church Lutheran (I've never said that phrase so many times in my life up until the last hour  Cheesy) liturgy as its basis, and there are a few churches in the United States that use it.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #3124 on: June 06, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »

You're not too far off. There's actually a type of liturgy in Orthodoxy that uses the High Church Lutheran (I've never said that phrase so many times in my life up until the last hour  Cheesy) liturgy as its basis, and there are a few churches in the United States that use it.

Really? Is it western rite?

-St Silouan the athonite
KostaC

« Reply #3125 on: June 06, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »

It is, yes, although I don't remember the name of the liturgy specifically.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #3126 on: June 06, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »

It is, yes, although I don't remember the name of the liturgy specifically.

Interesting.

-St Silouan the athonite
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3127 on: June 07, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »

Rio

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3128 on: June 07, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3129 on: June 07, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #3130 on: June 07, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »

Paradise.   Smiley

I love the bike rack in front.  My parish has added four families from the neighborhood that can walk to church, but that's only been in the last few years.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3131 on: June 08, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3132 on: June 08, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »

that in siberia

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3133 on: June 08, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »

that in siberia

Actually, on Athos.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3134 on: June 09, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »

so supposedly this is a gif of terminator 2 in its entirety.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3135 on: June 10, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »

Interesting. I've thought Danish Lutherans are fairly low church.

You don't need to be high church just because you have a high altar, as this video demonstrates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwk8zqN9UMo
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #3136 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

You don't need to be high church just because you have a high altar, as this video demonstrates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwk8zqN9UMo

You just had to show him that video, didn't you?

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3137 on: June 10, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »

You just had to show him that video, didn't you?

That is seriously awesome! I love you Danes!

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #3138 on: June 11, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #3139 on: June 13, 2013, 01:38:48 AM »

Actually, on Athos.

this is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilandar

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3140 on: June 13, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2530.html

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #3141 on: June 13, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »

Why do people always make the sun green? It makes it look like a giant molden cheeseball.

-St Silouan the athonite
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3142 on: June 13, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »

so supposedly this is a gif of terminator 2 in its entirety.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There outta be a law.

edit: 63MB!!!!!!!!!!!

If people didn't dislike you enough already.

THIS IS AWESOME.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:20:11 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3143 on: June 13, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »

Awesome.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3144 on: June 13, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3145 on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »

Postmodernity ruined everything.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3146 on: June 14, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »

This is OC.net.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3147 on: June 14, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »

This crossed my way a couple days ago:
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3148 on: June 14, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »

Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3149 on: June 14, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »

Cobwebs on the trees near my home last morning.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:44:47 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: