OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:35:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 239725 times) Average Rating: 0
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2025 on: August 25, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »

Ever bought something that looked cool on the rack, then put it on and it was terrible...? Well I know that feel now...

(The girly bedroom is my fiancee's not mine btw)

I really do not know what confuses me the most; that you would have such a thing, or that you would publicly acknowledge that you have such a thing.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #2026 on: August 25, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
bytania

Faith: oriental Orthodox/non-chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2027 on: August 25, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »

Interesting picture but I'm not sure if I get it. Can you explain Severian?
Thanks Smiley

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2028 on: August 25, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »

^Oh, OK. Smiley What happened was is that this woman wanted to restore an original fresco of Christ (the left image), but ended up distorting it beyond recognition (right image).

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2012/08/24/in-botched-restoration-project-jesus-christ-becomes-disfigured/

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
bytania

Faith: oriental Orthodox/non-chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2029 on: August 25, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »

^Oh, OK. Smiley What happened was is that this woman wanted to restore an original fresco of Christ (the left image), but ended up distorting it beyond recognition (right image).

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2012/08/24/in-botched-restoration-project-jesus-christ-becomes-disfigured/

That explains it Smiley I was wondering why the picture on the right looked so messed up! It doesn't even look like a human at all...damn she did a horrible job!

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2030 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »

The Holy Prophet Haggai

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2031 on: August 25, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »

The death of King Josiah...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2032 on: August 25, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2033 on: August 25, 2012, 11:10:16 PM »

Saint Macarius of Egypt with Saints Maximus and Dometius:

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2034 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »

Saint Gregory of Tathev:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:14:22 AM by Severian » Logged

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2035 on: August 26, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »

Is this dated or is it due to the cost of living in California? A buzz cut here for Marines (I live amongst Marines) is $7 at the cheapest location and $9 for everyone else. A straight razor shave at the same cheapest location is $3 for Marines and $5 for everyone else. Business cuts are generally $12-15 for the general public. I only get a haircut once or twice a year. Barbers seem to enjoy the opportunity of transforming a grizzly old bum in a sport coat to a model of society in a sport coat with a business cut. I pay $20 for the $12-15 cuts since I know I require extra effort because I do not want the buzz cut. The general exclamation by those waiting at the barber shop (or at work) is that I look 10-15 years younger (probably because I look terrible with long hair). Enough of me. Back to you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2036 on: August 26, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »

DavidI

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2037 on: August 27, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »

"A dog is better than I am, for he has love and he does not judge." - Abba Xanthios
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2038 on: August 27, 2012, 01:59:01 AM »

I really do not know what confuses me the most; that you would have such a thing, or that you would publicly acknowledge that you have such a thing.

I'm a proud Brony lol

Forgive my sins.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #2039 on: August 27, 2012, 07:23:41 AM »

Amazing! Deep in the content and it is nice that the caption is also in Arabic and Hebrew (additional decoration Wink)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2040 on: August 27, 2012, 07:24:21 AM »

Saint Gregory of Tathev:

Why are the pointy hats of Armenian monks so awesome?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2041 on: August 27, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »

DavidI, that's a beautiful icon.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2042 on: August 27, 2012, 06:00:49 PM »

Origen of Alexandria

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:19:51 PM by Severian » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2043 on: August 27, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »

^What is the meaning behind... er... all of that? Smiley

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2044 on: August 27, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »

Not sure... It's Origen of Alexandria, though.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2045 on: August 27, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »

Is this dated or is it due to the cost of living in California? A buzz cut here for Marines (I live amongst Marines) is $7 at the cheapest location and $9 for everyone else. A straight razor shave at the same cheapest location is $3 for Marines and $5 for everyone else. Business cuts are generally $12-15 for the general public. I only get a haircut once or twice a year. Barbers seem to enjoy the opportunity of transforming a grizzly old bum in a sport coat to a model of society in a sport coat with a business cut. I pay $20 for the $12-15 cuts since I know I require extra effort because I do not want the buzz cut. The general exclamation by those waiting at the barber shop (or at work) is that I look 10-15 years younger (probably because I look terrible with long hair). Enough of me. Back to you.

It's just meant to be a joke, the actual numbers don't matter, just the point they're trying to make  angel
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:24:54 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2046 on: August 27, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »

Are those palm trees or fireworks?  Embarrassed angel Smiley

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2047 on: August 27, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »

I was not aware that Origen was a saint....

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2048 on: August 27, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »

Are those palm trees or fireworks?  Embarrassed angel Smiley
Lol. I didn't even notice those! Probably the former.

I was not aware that Origen was a saint....

He's not. I just thought the Image was interesting.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2049 on: August 27, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »

Only saints should be sporting halos.

Personally, while interesting, I don't care for it.

As for the palm trees, I at first thought those were paint ball shots...that were oozing down.   Undecided

—St. Isaac of Syria
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2050 on: August 27, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »

Agreed.

As for the palm trees, I at first thought those were paint ball shots...that were oozing down.   Undecided
Lol.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:00:14 PM by Severian » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2051 on: August 27, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »

Agreed.

Lol.
On a more canonical note...

Saint Aidan

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:07:54 PM by Severian » Logged

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2052 on: August 27, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »

So do OO icons not have canonical norms?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2053 on: August 27, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »

I am sure we do to some extent. But, that Icon was Byzantine in style and not OO. I would not really consider it a Holy Icon, which is why I called it an "Image" rather than an "Icon." Pretty much, I just thought it was a cool piece of artwork. Nothing more.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2054 on: August 27, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »

I am sure we do to some extent. But, that Icon was Byzantine in style and not OO. I would not really consider it a Holy Icon, which is why I called it an "Image" rather than an "Icon." Pretty much, I just thought it was a cool piece of artwork. Nothing more.
It's in mock Byzantine style, like this: http://walhydra.blogspot.com/2008/06/lord-of-dance.html (very slightly nsfw)

And it's not just that. A lot of the stuff you post seems off. Like why is Abraham in space and what's up with that icon of Gregory of Tathev. A few pages back you had this multicolored rainbow guy or something. Reminded me of a disgusting postmodern RC church I once saw. Are these icons or just interesting religious arts you like to post?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2055 on: August 27, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »

Would this image of Saint Athanasius be considered a canonical Icon?

Well it defies pretty much every iconographic attribute of St. Athanasius and doesn't seem to belong to any iconographical tradition (maybe it's Ethiopian, though?). So...

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2056 on: August 27, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »

A lot of the stuff you post seems off. Like why is Abraham in space and what's up with that icon of Gregory of Tathev. A few pages back you had this multicolored rainbow guy or something. Reminded me of a disgusting postmodern RC church I once saw. Are these icons or just interesting religious arts you like to post?
This.

Forgive me. It's not my intention to cause a fuss. I don't have any sort of hidden agenda or anything like that.

Concerning the Image of Saint Gregory of Tathev- It was a piece of art I found on an Armenian site. I am not sure whether it would be considered a Canonical Icon among Armenians. But Salpy mentioned that western style art did make its way into the Armenian Church a while back. So it could just be that.

As per Abraham- IDK. I was looking him up on Google images and I found that Image. I thought it was interesting so I posted it.

Concerning the depiction of Saint Athanasius as black- I found that on St-Takla.org, a Coptic website, and I was wondering whether it would be considered a canonical Icon.

+Forgive me if I have caused offense
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:23:45 PM by Severian » Logged

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2057 on: August 27, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »

It's just a question! I didn't accuse you of anything, Severian.

(heretic)

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2058 on: August 27, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »

It's just a question! I didn't accuse you of anything, Severian.

(heretic) [originally 1 point font]
I audibly laughed at this. Cheesy

Again, sorry for any confusion I might have caused. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:49:36 PM by Severian » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2059 on: August 27, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »

"Commentary on the Epistle of Paul the Apostle to those in Ephesus- Saint John the Golden-mouthed"

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:48:55 PM by Severian » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2060 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »

This image is from a Catholic website. Anyway, what does the Hebrew say? The Arabic says "Ibraheem, Khaleel Allah", which is to say "Abraham, the friend of God."

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2061 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »

The Holy Prophet Ezekiel

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2062 on: August 27, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

A Coptic Icon of the Glorious Prophet and King David

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2063 on: August 28, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »

Ecce Homo

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2064 on: August 28, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »

A Coptic Orthodox Altar in the Holy Land

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2065 on: August 28, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »

A Coptic Orthodox Festival Procession in Upper Egypt

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2066 on: August 28, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

Saint Didymus the Blind

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2067 on: August 28, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »

A Coptic Orthodox Festival Procession in Upper Egypt

LOL@the guy with the cheesy grin  Grin

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2068 on: August 28, 2012, 03:15:42 PM »

Saint Gregory of Narek

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2069 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »

It's in mock Byzantine style, like this: http://walhydra.blogspot.com/2008/06/lord-of-dance.html (very slightly nsfw)

And it's not just that. A lot of the stuff you post seems off. Like why is Abraham in space and what's up with that icon of Gregory of Tathev. A few pages back you had this multicolored rainbow guy or something. Reminded me of a disgusting postmodern RC church I once saw. Are these icons or just interesting religious arts you like to post?

It's most likely a reference to Genesis 26:4:

I will cause your descendants to become as numerous as the stars of the sky
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:26:44 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: