Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 3536048 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #10710 on: April 22, 2019, 11:52:07 PM »
Is this one of those "This is why the rest of the world hates America" moments?

DISCRETE BOTTLE OPENER PATENTED TECHNOLOGY: Those are bottle openers built into The Hook's titanium arms. You can open 1,000's of bottles without a scratch or chip because of our black armour coating technology which is also used on military grade weapons. And for the front of the frame, we use a high grade durable acetate that accommodates prescription lenses.

lol just get a keychain for that
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East
« Reply #10711 on: April 23, 2019, 01:17:39 AM »
For holy week.

Size modified by Dominika, GM

God forgive me but in the bottom middle it looks like Christ is just giving an incredulous "come on, bro" look.

I never saw that style of iconography before, it seems a little cartoonish. Is it Coptic? That one specifically.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:17:57 AM by reclusivus »
ΕυλÃÄ

"Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought. Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks..." ~ Samuel Johnson

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #10712 on: April 23, 2019, 01:50:35 AM »
Modern Coptic iconography is all based on the work of Professor Isaac Fanous (painter of the one on the upper right). Some followers do a better job of realizing his vision than others do.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • High Elder
  • Saint Thomas the Apostle, pray for me a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #10713 on: April 23, 2019, 02:13:19 AM »
Modern Coptic iconography is all based on the work of Professor Isaac Fanous (painter of the one on the upper right). Some followers do a better job of realizing his vision than others do.

Out of all the Coptic icons here, that one struck me the most. It gives the image of lamb being led to the slaughter to me, with the large eyes and innocence in his expression, and His crown of thorns is a wonderful contrast - it's so thorny that it looks certainly more painful than the others.

I do like the expression of Christ on the top left one though, so out of all of them, I don't know which one I like better.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:14:38 AM by Eamonomae »
"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."
- Mark Twain, Letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10714 on: April 23, 2019, 02:18:20 AM »

Out of all the Coptic icons here, that one struck me the most. It gives the image of lamb being led to the slaughter to me, with the large eyes and innocence in his expression, and His crown of thorns is a wonderful contrast - it's so thorny that it looks certainly more painful than the others.

I do like the expression of Christ on the top left one though, so out of all of them, I don't know which one I like better.

Do I detect a secret fan of anime? :o
ΕυλÃÄ

"Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought. Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks..." ~ Samuel Johnson

Offline Jack Diggory

• The Art of Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: New South Wales
« Reply #10715 on: April 23, 2019, 02:21:56 AM »
Yeah I heard modern day Coptic iconography is quite different to that which we had in the past. I believe Professor Isaac Fanous is responsible for that.

Good on you Volnutt for picking that up. Yeah i like them all. I dont know which one is my fave either.

I have a large collection of so many icons and images of biblical, ancient, modern saints - Russian, greek and coptic. And make collages of them.

If you guys want to see the single images of these you can find them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19wDSLb2MyzWoHBZkRB8EwL3FgBas3nL6

Offline Jack Diggory

• The Art of Orthodoxy
« Reply #10716 on: April 23, 2019, 02:23:14 AM »
No i hope they dont make anime icons. That would seem sacreligious and not good.

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10717 on: April 23, 2019, 02:27:09 AM »
No i hope they dont make anime icons. That would seem sacreligious and not good.

Well this fairly famous image (even Russian media showed it a couple times) will be awkward...:

Don't shoot me but I personally think it's gorgeous and an acceptable cultural translation; look at the attention to detail!

It is perhaps of note that anime and Orthodox iconography both tend to abstract detail in favor of idealized forms with certain characteristics.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:30:30 AM by reclusivus »
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10718 on: April 23, 2019, 02:32:25 AM »
(And thank you for the drive link) interesting
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline Jack Diggory

• The Art of Orthodoxy
« Reply #10719 on: April 23, 2019, 02:35:38 AM »
Yes i saw that one before. Haha it does look good. Yes the detail is amazing. Do we know who made it? It is perhaps a great way to preach the gospel in Japan although St Nicholas of Japan already did that. I wonder if he would approve.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:36:48 AM by Jack Diggory »

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10720 on: April 23, 2019, 02:47:42 AM »
Yes i saw that one before. Haha it does look good. Yes the detail is amazing. Do we know who made it? It is perhaps a great way to preach the gospel in Japan although St Nicholas of Japan already did that. I wonder if he would approve.

https://www.deviantart.com/aloron666/art/Our-Lady-of-Perpetual-Help-715843549

Here is the artist source!

I think that it would be more helpful for recruiting Western nerds to the Church then actual Japanese haha. I used it as an avatar on youtube for a while and got a LOT of requests over time for the source from random users of all kinds, male and female.

In any case St. Nicholas of Japan pray for us!
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #10721 on: April 23, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
I don't agree with it, and wouldn't feel comfortable with it, and here's my rationale.

For starters, I don't consider Pop Culture - a culture that is a result of marketing and free-market economics - to not only be an inauthentic representation of a nation's culture, as it's often trans-national to be as marketable as possible, but it also is extremely limited in it's scope of time - as this goes out of fashion, this comes in, etc.

When "Pop Culture" "art" is produced, even if there's an insane amount of effort behind it, there is a specific paradigm that is created which determines it's marketability for a specific time frame across culture, and as such, when it comes to liturgical uses, a practice which is supposed to be transtemporal and targeted towards different cultural groups of people, I find liturgical uses to be thoroughly incompatible with Pop Culture media, as the relation to time and space is thoroughly incompatible.

Anime falls under the category of Pop Culture "art." Just look how much Anime - which we will just broadly categorize as "Japanese art" has changed from the time of animation's conception to now; compare Astro Boy to 80's anime to 90's anime to today's anime.

That's not to mention that, in addition to this incompatibility with time and space, marketability undoubtedly determines the content of the art produced in Pop Culture. Anime is often created with extremely beautiful and handsome figures, perfect physical figures, exaggerated figures, sexualized figures, simply because they tap into our animalistic / hedonic instincts and make us want to buy it. Iconography should not have marketability as important above all else. Sure, marketability is important, but maintaining to moral teaching and spiritual teaching is far more important.

I mean, it's the same reason why I reject Pop Christian music in Orthodoxy, and was thoroughly offended when I visited a Coptic Church and they integrated Protestant Pop Culture songs into the Liturgy. Evangelical Rock and Roll Music is already dated and seen as cringy by Pop Culture's standards today, as is Christian rap. Marketability for Evangelical Pop music is also extremely important, which is why there's a huge emphasis, not on judgment or repentance, but simply tapping into - again - animalistic instincts, with sensational and unOrthodox - well - sentimentalism and emotionalism. How much God loves me, how I'm reaching for God, how I love God more than everything, how God is great to me, how Jesus is the Lord of the Dance (okay, too obviously not Evangelical rock, but same "Pop Culture").

I think that Pop Cultural products can be appreciated for what they are (look at my profile picture) - but they aren't even in the same category as long standing cultural traditions.

And I do think that the Orthodox Church should consider tapping into iconography that is more in line with traditional Japanese artwork and more relatable for their culture, similar to how uniquely Ethiopian the Ethiopian Orthodox Church's iconography is.

For instance, I wouldn't mind venerating this icon:

or this:

or even this:

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:08:30 PM by Eamonomae »
"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #10722 on: April 23, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
However, if you feel spiritually comfortable with an anime icon - assuming that your priest approves of it - more power to you. I cannot, not only because of the facts mentioned above, but anime has been thoroughly tainted to me thanks to Internet Meme Culture.

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #10723 on: April 23, 2019, 05:13:20 PM »

No. I don't consider myself a "fan" of anime, although I can appreciate it for what it is.

I liked Pokemon, Digi-Mon and Yu-Gi-Oh (which I barely followed), Kirby Right Back at Ya!, and Sonic X growing up though.

I have no interest in Studio Ghibli - I just don't get it and relate to it. The characters are unappealing to me personally, both personality wise and design wise, and I don't find "weird for the sake of weird" justifiable for that.

Death Note seems interesting to me, because I like the idea and where it goes, but I've never had the time nor the resources (Netflix?) to see it.

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10724 on: April 23, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »
I don't agree with it, and wouldn't feel comfortable with it, and here's my rationale.

For starters, I don't consider Pop Culture - a culture that is a result of marketing and free-market economics - to not only be an inauthentic representation of a nation's culture, as it's often trans-national to be as marketable as possible, but it also is extremely limited in it's scope of time - as this goes out of fashion, this comes in, etc.

When "Pop Culture" "art" is produced, even if there's an insane amount of effort behind it, there is a specific paradigm that is created which determines it's marketability for a specific time frame across culture, and as such, when it comes to liturgical uses, a practice which is supposed to be transtemporal and targeted towards different cultural groups of people, I find liturgical uses to be thoroughly incompatible with Pop Culture media, as the relation to time and space is thoroughly incompatible.

Anime falls under the category of Pop Culture "art." Just look how much Anime - which we will just broadly categorize as "Japanese art" has changed from the time of animation's conception to now; compare Astro Boy to 80's anime to 90's anime to today's anime.

That's not to mention that, in addition to this incompatibility with time and space, marketability undoubtedly determines the content of the art produced in Pop Culture. Anime is often created with extremely beautiful and handsome figures, perfect physical figures, exaggerated figures, sexualized figures, simply because they tap into our animalistic / hedonic instincts and make us want to buy it. Iconography should not have marketability as important above all else. Sure, marketability is important, but maintaining to moral teaching and spiritual teaching is far more important.

I mean, it's the same reason why I reject Pop Christian music in Orthodoxy, and was thoroughly offended when I visited a Coptic Church and they integrated Protestant Pop Culture songs into the Liturgy. Evangelical Rock and Roll Music is already dated and seen as cringy by Pop Culture's standards today, as is Christian rap. Marketability for Evangelical Pop music is also extremely important, which is why there's a huge emphasis, not on judgment or repentance, but simply tapping into - again - animalistic instincts, with sensational and unOrthodox - well - sentimentalism and emotionalism. How much God loves me, how I'm reaching for God, how I love God more than everything, how God is great to me, how Jesus is the Lord of the Dance (okay, too obviously not Evangelical rock, but same "Pop Culture").

I think that Pop Cultural products can be appreciated for what they are (look at my profile picture) - but they aren't even in the same category as long standing cultural traditions.

And I do think that the Orthodox Church should consider tapping into iconography that is more in line with traditional Japanese artwork and more relatable for their culture, similar to how uniquely Ethiopian the Ethiopian Orthodox Church's iconography is.

For instance, I wouldn't mind venerating this icon:

or this:

or even this:

Eamon, I need to applaud you for your meticulous and thoughtful replies. This was very well written.

That being said, I think you missed the point a bit. The anime Theotokos, as far as I understand and percieve reactions to it, is not for veneration prima facie as opposed to traditional Japanese art influence in icons. To pit it plainly, it just looks cute/cool. It's a relatively famous artwork but I don't know a single person online who utilizes it as a "normal" icon. It's just nice, and the artist put a lot of effort in it. Don't you agree?
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10725 on: April 23, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »

No. I don't consider myself a "fan" of anime, although I can appreciate it for what it is.

I liked Pokemon, Digi-Mon and Yu-Gi-Oh (which I barely followed), Kirby Right Back at Ya!, and Sonic X growing up though.

I have no interest in Studio Ghibli - I just don't get it and relate to it. The characters are unappealing to me personally, both personality wise and design wise, and I don't find "weird for the sake of weird" justifiable for that.

Death Note seems interesting to me, because I like the idea and where it goes, but I've never had the time nor the resources (Netflix?) to see it.

I also appreciate your points about pop culture and thia post as well, you ought to make a blog that catalogues your thoughts sometime!

The anime you cited are extremely "entry level" and many are for kids obviously,  but there are many series also aimed at adults (no, not in THAT way) that can be quite cerebral. I think you may enjoy Serial Experiments Lain for instance, which I quoted in the anime thread here. It's very "deep" and downplayed with no paroxysms nor explicit erotic material, perhaps to a pretentious extent, and to be fully enjoyed requires a certain knowledge of philosophy. I'm sure you can find it "free" online, ahem, but like I also said I recommend having a strong mental constution for it.
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline Eamonomae

• High Elder
« Reply #10726 on: April 23, 2019, 10:07:24 PM »
Eamon, I need to applaud you for your meticulous and thoughtful replies. This was very well written.

I really appreciate that, thanks.

That being said, I think you missed the point a bit. The anime Theotokos, as far as I understand and percieve reactions to it, is not for veneration prima facie as opposed to traditional Japanese art influence in icons. To pit it plainly, it just looks cute/cool. It's a relatively famous artwork but I don't know a single person online who utilizes it as a "normal" icon. It's just nice, and the artist put a lot of effort in it. Don't you agree?

Sure. I liked it when it appeared in this video, which I have posted several times on this forum:
(Byzantine Empire Anime Opening)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8

My favorite part is that it involves a one frame screenshot from Europa Universalis IV of a Byzantium world conquest at the end, which is really funny looking to me:

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:09:02 PM by Eamonomae »

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10727 on: April 23, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »

I really appreciate that, thanks.

Sure. I liked it when it appeared in this video, which I have posted several times on this forum:
(Byzantine Empire Anime Opening)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8

My favorite part is that it involves a one frame screenshot from Europa Universalis IV of a Byzantium world conquest at the end, which is really funny looking to me:

I haven't used my PC in a while but I used to be a total Paradox games addict and probably will be again when I get to play that new Imperator game, so that screenshot makes me smile. :) I also know that opening; Thank you Eamon, very cool!

On that note I sincerely recommend watching Neon Genesis Evangelion as a treasure of modern culture, or at least an apotheosis of 90s culture. This is going to sound pretentious but I would argue that it's as important at least to animation as any Disney classic, as it has influenced even Western works and directors like Guillermo Del Toro.
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10728 on: April 24, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10729 on: April 24, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »
That's one of the reasons I don't take freedom of expression as dogma. These people can be dangerous to themselves, but God forbid they are to others.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #10730 on: April 24, 2019, 03:44:29 PM »
Meanwhile, at the Endgame premiere...

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10731 on: April 24, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »
Meanwhile, at the Endgame premiere...

Hah!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:24:34 PM by Volnutt »

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10732 on: April 24, 2019, 05:56:51 PM »

I wonder how many millions of "natural" remedies were attempted in ye olden times.

I remember a pic a while ago that portrayed this Swedish family around 1910, their son was sick of some disease and after trying everything they pulled him stuck through a tree with a hole in it; apparently this was a folk belief that it improved health or was linked to fairies or something. I can see them trying Urine Therapy as well. My Sicilian proverb from the other thread still stands!
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #10733 on: April 25, 2019, 07:32:58 AM »
Amakusa Shiro, the roman catholic japanese leader of the Shimabara Rebellion.

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10734 on: April 25, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »
Amakusa Shiro, the roman catholic japanese leader of the Shimabara Rebellion.

....Wow. Do you have a source for this? That's gorgeous. Spectacular.

The only thing I may say to add to this is an odd coincidence that both Hiroshima and Nagasaki had unusually high percentage of Japanese Catholics - had. These cities in particular were not even that important targets. Interpret how you wish. I wonder how the small number of Japanese Orthodox fared in the war.

On that note, I think Metropolitan Daniel-sama looks very cool:

ΕυλÃÄ

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10735 on: April 26, 2019, 07:04:46 AM »
The Rebels, Nagisa Oshima's take on the Shimabara Rebellion, is available to watch on YouTube. Unfortunately, the only uploaded copy has Czech subtitles, so no understanding any of the dialogue, but still worth watching because it's pure visual poetry, especially the non-verbal execution scene towards the end.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #10736 on: April 26, 2019, 07:29:22 AM »
....Wow. Do you have a source for this? That's gorgeous. Spectacular.

It's made by a japanese artists named Takato Yamamoto, the complete art is quite hard to find, it is a big canvas with Amakusa Shirou in one side, a depiction of what I think it is a japanese version of the Theotokos and a samurai in the opposite end with all the grotesque figures around.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10737 on: April 30, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »
I post this as I'm going to see it on Thursday myself  :-[

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10738 on: May 03, 2019, 05:09:04 AM »
Bishop Stephen of Homel and Zhlobin personally went out of his way to convince a local girl not to jump off a bridge.

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
« Reply #10739 on: May 03, 2019, 11:45:37 AM »
Bishop Stephen of Homel and Zhlobin personally went out of his way to convince a local girl not to jump off a bridge.

This is so beautiful, bless His Grace. He will be rewarded handsomely in the world to come I'm sure! That poor girl, what society would cause such despair?  I already know, but I suppose God allows it for us to manifest love to others in such times.
ΕυλÃÄ

Offline Jack Diggory

• The Art of Orthodoxy
« Reply #10740 on: May 03, 2019, 10:13:31 PM »
Wow thats acutally really beautiful. What denomination is he from?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #10741 on: May 04, 2019, 04:50:36 AM »
+1

Before Pascha and after Pascha:
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10742 on: May 09, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »
Akkar

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10743 on: May 25, 2019, 04:49:55 AM »
The English text below the Polish one is an attempt of translation ;)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10744 on: June 03, 2019, 02:50:05 PM »
Southern Poland - Łemkowszczyzna

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10745 on: June 06, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
All the transparents in Syria and Lebanon for Serbian patriarch Ireneos are correct, but this one... The end seems to be Google Translate, as in Arabic "Sahib al-ghibta" means "His Eminence" but the word "sahib" alone means "owner", "friend", it's also connected with following.
So, in Serbian it's written "pratioce" ("followers") and "ghibta" is just transcribed  :laugh:

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10746 on: June 07, 2019, 08:03:32 AM »
Patronal feast of saint John Vladimir monastery in Albania

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/manastirishenjoanvladimiri/photos/?tab=album&album_id=983256971860561

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #10747 on: June 07, 2019, 09:51:24 AM »
Are those t-shirts?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10748 on: June 09, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10749 on: June 09, 2019, 11:38:43 PM »
Apparently some Romanian nationalists believe that in fact Latin descends from some ancient form of Romanian.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10750 on: June 20, 2019, 02:54:49 PM »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #10751 on: June 24, 2019, 03:17:01 PM »
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #10752 on: June 24, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
Southern Poland - Łemkowszczyzna

So beautiful.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #10753 on: June 24, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #10754 on: June 24, 2019, 10:47:02 PM »
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:48:23 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth