Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 3536035 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #10665 on: March 28, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
Number of McDonalds by country in Europe; still I remember times that in Serbia each city had maximum 1 McDonald

How come there are no McDonalds in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg?  Or Monaco?  Or Andorra?  I get Liechtenstein and San Marino, and the Vatican City, but Monaco is the world’s most urban country, the Co-Principality of Andorra is a beautiful place, but also famous for its massive low tax shopping, indeed, I believe this is a mainstay of the Andorran economy, and Luxembourg is large enough to have its own airline, a major international airport, its own extensive railway network, its own military (including the NATO fleet of E3 AWACS aircraft), and several EU institutions, not to mention a large financial sector, and is the homeland not only of the world’s best looking head of state in Grand Duke Henri, but also Hugo Gernsback, the pioneering science fiction author who in the 1920s wrote the pipneering science fiction novel Ralph 124C41+ and coined the phrase “science fiction.”  They also have their own German dialect.  So if anyone deserves a pair of Golden Arches, its Luxembourg.  But in Andorra also, the absence of one seems a major oversight, and indeed, in Monaco and Gibraltar.

;)

Yeah, but no McDonald's means no this, so it's a bit of a wash.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #10666 on: March 28, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
Oh no, I'm 27. And neither boyfriend, nor cat.

I used to have a beautiful 22lb Siamese cat with a 15” tail, a “seal-point” with the traditional “Applehead” appearance, except owing to his size and the curious tufts of fur at the tops of his ears, and his odd, lumbering gait, more than one vet speculated he had been the result of crossbreeding with a Lynx or another wildcat.

He also made strange vocalizations, sometimes trying to mime human speech; he never meowed in an ordinary manner, and his favourite game was Catch (like a dog).  And he was lightning fast.  He also never did that annoying thing some cats do where they kneed their paws into you, or a computer keyboard.

We adopted him as a kitten on the occasion of my seventh birthday.  He had been purchased in a pet store and then returned, as the family that initially bought him turned out to be allergic.  Which is good, because they were also horribly cruel; they cut off his whiskers!   :o

Fortunately, they grew back, but cutting off the whiskers of a kitty is pretty sick stuff.  >:(

I miss that cat.  He died of an asthma attack in 2005...it was very sad.   :'(

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #10667 on: March 28, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »
^^ The picture is about something totally different...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #10668 on: March 28, 2019, 06:10:46 PM »
^^ The picture is about something totally different...

:-*

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10669 on: March 29, 2019, 01:59:59 AM »
Alexa, what religion should I be a part of?

Offline WPM

• Citizenii Populii
  • Taxiarches
  • I am the Root of Existence
  • Faith: Universal Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: 50-State Republic
« Reply #10670 on: March 29, 2019, 02:13:52 AM »
Number of McDonalds by country in Europe; still I remember times that in Serbia each city had maximum 1 McDonald

How come there are no McDonalds in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg?  Or Monaco?  Or Andorra?  I get Liechtenstein and San Marino, and the Vatican City, but Monaco is the world’s most urban country, the Co-Principality of Andorra is a beautiful place, but also famous for its massive low tax shopping, indeed, I believe this is a mainstay of the Andorran economy, and Luxembourg is large enough to have its own airline, a major international airport, its own extensive railway network, its own military (including the NATO fleet of E3 AWACS aircraft), and several EU institutions, not to mention a large financial sector, and is the homeland not only of the world’s best looking head of state in Grand Duke Henri, but also Hugo Gernsback, the pioneering science fiction author who in the 1920s wrote the pipneering science fiction novel Ralph 124C41+ and coined the phrase “science fiction.”  They also have their own German dialect.  So if anyone deserves a pair of Golden Arches, its Luxembourg.  But in Andorra also, the absence of one seems a major oversight, and indeed, in Monaco and Gibraltar.

;)

Isn't that European? . . .

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10671 on: March 29, 2019, 03:37:43 PM »

;)

Isn't that European? . . .

You don't think Europeans are just as capable of setting cars on fire over a McFlurry?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10672 on: March 29, 2019, 03:38:56 PM »

Umm, file this under, "I get what you've trying to say but please try to phrase it a way that doesn't make you sound like serial killer lol...?"

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Catholic
« Reply #10673 on: March 29, 2019, 04:51:13 PM »

Umm, file this under, "I get what you've trying to say but please try to phrase it a way that doesn't make you sound like serial killer lol...?"

I have no doubt this came from some sort of neo-pagan who worships “the Goddess” and thinks that honoring a north European pantheon is somehow less racist that worshiping a Mediterranean Jew.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10674 on: March 29, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »
I have no idea. I just found it out of context in a compilation of Neckbeard cringe. I think he's just trying to say that he values women for more than merely their bodies (maybe he's even one of them thar "sapiosexuals"). And I support the sentiment of not just being about the physical (not least of all since outer beauty fades with time).

But there's got to be a less disturbing, maybe even unintentionally patronizing, way to say it.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #10675 on: March 29, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
I keep thinking of how low we have gone so that not willing to join your intimate organs with a stupid person is considered a sexual orientation.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10676 on: March 29, 2019, 06:16:06 PM »
Yeah, I think ten years ago we just would have called it a preference (or at worst, a fetish).

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10677 on: March 29, 2019, 08:38:25 PM »

Reminds me of the TV show You (which I liked enough that I'm now reading the original book for).  :laugh:

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10678 on: March 29, 2019, 11:09:31 PM »
Sounds they kind of made a show out of this guy lol:

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10679 on: April 01, 2019, 07:26:18 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #10680 on: April 01, 2019, 07:38:36 PM »
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:38:57 PM by biro »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #10681 on: April 05, 2019, 02:00:55 PM »
"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10682 on: April 05, 2019, 02:47:12 PM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10683 on: April 06, 2019, 03:46:22 PM »
Sent to me by a friend. Chad Zizek kills Princess Stacy's Incel Dragon pet. Colorized.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 03:47:25 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10684 on: April 07, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
Bryce Canyon, Utah, U.S.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10685 on: April 10, 2019, 02:22:57 AM »
Behold the Nietzschean Ubermensch lol.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10686 on: April 10, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »

Yeah, take it, grandma!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #10687 on: April 11, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10688 on: April 11, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
Oh my God, this Katie Bouman is just an older version of my sisters...  :o

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10689 on: April 12, 2019, 02:48:16 PM »

*Moves to Canada*

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10690 on: April 12, 2019, 03:19:45 PM »
Found on accident in a search.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10691 on: April 12, 2019, 04:44:58 PM »

*Moves to Canada*
:laugh:

BTW, I'll soon be visiting her.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10692 on: April 12, 2019, 05:03:42 PM »
Cool! I hope you have a good time. She's in Ontario, right? I've only ever been to Eastern Canada. It's all beautiful country, though.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10693 on: April 12, 2019, 05:12:44 PM »
Vancouver, so I get to know Seattle too.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10694 on: April 12, 2019, 05:18:13 PM »
Vancouver, so I get to know Seattle too.

Oh, even better. I love the Pacific Northwest (Well, I essentially live it despite a slightly drier climate--- it's raining as I type this).

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10696 on: April 12, 2019, 06:44:11 PM »
I like her smile.

Offline jobin219

• +shub-ḥo lokh Aloho+
  • Faith: Syriac Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Antioch and all the East
« Reply #10697 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:48 PM »

I mean did he really need to split the Old and New Testaments into separate volumes for grandma?
"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity. Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthil (Parumala Thirumeni)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10698 on: April 12, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »
lol!

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #10699 on: April 14, 2019, 12:20:14 AM »
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #10700 on: April 15, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • High Elder
  • Saint Thomas the Apostle, pray for me a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #10702 on: April 16, 2019, 02:15:04 AM »
Sent to me by a friend. Chad Zizek kills Princess Stacy's Incel Dragon pet. Colorized.

I'm sorry, what?

Schlock and borderline blasphemous iconography aside, when has Christianity ever suggested that hierarchy is innately evil? Yes, there is a condemnation of hierarchy as it's exercised in society (Christ arguing that the prostitutes and tax collectors are entering the Kingdom of Heaven before the clerical), but certainly not hierarchy in of itself. I mean, isn't there like a hierarchy of Creation? God, angels, humans, animals, plants, etc.? Isn't the eternal state of a soul a hierarchy - with those in Heaven, and those in Hell? Didn't God Himself aid the establishment of the Israelite Kingdoms, which had a clear hierarchy of Judges, Priests, and later a King?

I think that certainly, Christianity subverted pagan philosophy in terms of pagan ethics and worldviews in terms of a complete 180 - the pagans took glory in wars, conquering, money, sex, power, physique, kings, princes, etc., whereas Christianity takes glory in the poor, the widows, the fatherless, the meek, the sinners, those without kingdoms, those who fast, those who don't boast; and such a 180 certainly does affect how one views hierarchy - but I don't think that goes so far as to condemn hierarchy in of itself.

I mean, there's a reason why the Authoritarian, Utopian Dreamers - be they Feminist, Antifa, "Black Lives Matter," Marxist, "Democratic Socialist," etc. are so viciously atheistic - Christianity, in it's morals and dogma, still argues for a hierarchy, even with men in charge of the household.

Yeah, I believe that hierarchy is natural. If anybody who believes in hierarchy is a fascist or a pagan, then you might as well condemn every single political philosopher that wasn't a Utopian Socialist (including Socialists who aren't Utopian) - and God must be the greatest fascist-pagan that there is.

This doesn't mean that I think that our hierarchy today is perfectly just - but the idea that we can create a society here on Earth without hierarchy is just Materialistic Chiliasm that has no accounting for our irrational human nature and selfishness. See "Notes from the Underground."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:20:16 AM by Eamonomae »
"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."
- Mark Twain, Letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10703 on: April 16, 2019, 04:51:22 PM »
There are things to quibble with Zizek over, yes. But I mostly just thought it was a funny picture. One bloviating intellectual with a cult-like following versus another.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10704 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
A true crew is with you for life and in death!

Offline isxodnik

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROC
« Reply #10705 on: April 16, 2019, 10:01:52 PM »
What should the young couple do if the husband serves 4-5 Liturgies a week?
"А чего мне бояться? Не в лесу живём, и не в Америке"

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #10706 on: April 17, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »

I was thinking about that one of those days! Nice idea.

A true crew is with you for life and in death!

Wait, they already have their name even though she's still alive...? Both cute and creepy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10707 on: April 17, 2019, 03:05:04 PM »
Creepy I suppose, yes, but not an Amway thing specifically. It's a reservation you can make with the stonemason in a lot of places. When she dies, they'll just add the date.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:05:29 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Jack Diggory

• The Art of Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: New South Wales
« Reply #10708 on: April 18, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
For holy week.

Size modified by Dominika, GM
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:08:00 PM by Dominika »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10709 on: April 19, 2019, 04:31:40 AM »
Is this one of those "This is why the rest of the world hates America" moments?

DISCRETE BOTTLE OPENER PATENTED TECHNOLOGY: Those are bottle openers built into The Hook's titanium arms. You can open 1,000's of bottles without a scratch or chip because of our black armour coating technology which is also used on military grade weapons. And for the front of the frame, we use a high grade durable acetate that accommodates prescription lenses.