Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 321822 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: OCnet Quotable Quotes
« Reply #1845 on: May 04, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »
Sounds like you got lost in the forest you planted.  Next time, invest in breadcrumbs.

Excellent.
What is "Excellent"?

Notice how it says "OO Wins" in the upper left hand corner.  Meanwhile,

1.  There is an idol at extreme left, looks like a Hindu deity or some other Eastern religion's god
2.  The window with the metal grate on the right looks like the number one, like "one nature"
3.  Next to that are two hanging meat hooks, and one is definitely superior to the other, like how the divinity swallows the humanity
4.  The hanging meat hooks are probably for Armenian liturgical animal sacrifices
5.  No one gets that muscular without some sort of drug use.  Are those green patches on the ground marijuana?

I'm happy to say I played a small role in instigating this masterpiece of pictorial exegesis.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #1846 on: May 06, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
Sounds like you got lost in the forest you planted.  Next time, invest in breadcrumbs.

Excellent.
What is "Excellent"?

1.  There is an idol at extreme left, looks like a Hindu deity or some other Eastern religion's god
2.  The window with the metal grate on the right looks like the number one, like "one nature"
3.  Next to that are two hanging meat hooks, and one is definitely superior to the other, like how the divinity swallows the humanity
4.  The hanging meat hooks are probably for Armenian liturgical animal sacrifices
5.  No one gets that muscular without some sort of drug use.  Are those green patches on the ground marijuana?
I'm happy to say I played a small role in instigating this masterpiece of pictorial exegesis.
Hello, Rohzek and Iconodule.
As you know, this is a picture of me getting punched out that Mor and Iconodule love, followed by a list of mischaracterizations that they associate with me.

I see how mortal combat cartoons about apologetics can be just in good fun in general, but before indulging in it, I invite you to please think of it from my perspective: How might Mor or Iconodule feel if I made a mortal combat photo saying "Chalcedon wins" punching Mor out, calling it "Excellent", and followed by a list of mischaracterizations of their views?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:43:57 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #1847 on: May 06, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
I will feel delighted.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #1848 on: May 06, 2017, 04:57:23 PM »
I will feel delighted.
How about if someone punched me in real life when I was talking to them about the differences between EO and OO theologies?
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #1849 on: May 06, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »

Excellent.
What is "Excellent"?

As you know, this is a picture of me getting punched out that Mor and Iconodule love, followed by a list of mischaracterizations that they associate with me.

I see how mortal combat cartoons about apologetics can be just in good fun in general, but before indulging in it, I invite you to please think of it from my perspective: How might Mor or Iconodule feel if I made a mortal combat photo saying "Chalcedon wins" punching Mor out, calling it "Excellent", and followed by a list of mischaracterizations of their views?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1850 on: May 06, 2017, 05:53:10 PM »
How might Mor or Iconodule feel if I made a mortal combat photo saying "Chalcedon wins" punching Mor out, calling it "Excellent", and followed by a list of mischaracterizations of their views?

You're one thousand five hundred and sixty-six years late for the party. 
How can you be so incarnationally constipated?

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #1851 on: May 06, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »
How might Mor or Iconodule feel if I made a mortal combat photo saying "Chalcedon wins" punching Mor out, calling it "Excellent", and followed by a list of mischaracterizations of their views?

Clearly, Mor, that is not a cartoon made by me of you personally being knocked out bleeding, nor do I or our Church consider Chalcedon a mischaracterization, nor did I say that pictures of you personally being knocked out are "excellent" and I "enthusiastically endorse" them.

I understand that religious divides like these can feel tough, but I don't want to see you or others I debate getting punched out for them. Try to view it from my side, please, Mor. I guarantee you that if I did the same kind of things in that conversation, from subtitling an OO thread "Start your apologetic spinning" to everything else, it would be ascribed it to my "general anti-OO disposition" and I would be put on moderation or worse. I don't like the idea of you or Iconodule being punched out, I would dislike making personal insults against you, I don't have a special anti-OO axe to grind. I can prove this so many ways. Why if I am just about anti-OO polemics did I go to five Coptic and Malankaran churches on my own initiative 6-7 times and prayed there, even when I know that strictly speaking it's banned by my church canons? The basic thing that attracts me in Orthodoxy is spirituality, not personal attacks against dialogue partners.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:30:35 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #1852 on: May 06, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »

Excellent.
What is "Excellent"?

It's just a joke. Chill out.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: An Addendum

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
« Reply #1853 on: May 06, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
Seriously...

Offline ZealousZeal

• Ima Xanthippe
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1854 on: May 06, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »

Clearly, Mor, that is not a cartoon made by me of you personally being knocked out bleeding, nor do I or our Church consider Chalcedon a mischaracterization, nor did I say that pictures of you personally being knocked out are "excellent" and I "enthusiastically endorse" them.

I understand that religious divides like these can feel tough, but I don't want to see you or others I debate getting punched out for them. Try to view it from my side, please, Mor. I guarantee you that if I did the same kind of things in that conversation, from subtitling an OO thread "Start your apologetic spinning" to everything else, it would be ascribed it to my "general anti-OO disposition" and I would be put on moderation or worse. I don't like the idea of you or Iconodule being punched out, I would dislike making personal insults against you, I don't have a special anti-OO axe to grind. I can prove this so many ways. Why if I am just about anti-OO polemics did I go to five Coptic and Malankaran churches on my own initiative 6-7 times and prayed there, even when I know that strictly speaking it's banned by my church canons? The basic thing that attracts me in Orthodoxy is spirituality, not personal attacks against dialogue partners.

Rakovsky-

I invite you to consider the revolutionary idea that neither Mor nor Iconodule desire to see you "punched out" or "bleeding" in real life, but rather the picture is meant to illustrate the wit and oratory prowess possessed by Mor from Iconodule's perspective.

In other words- you're being dramatic.

Let's stay on topic here, people.

-ZZ, Other Topics Mod
O Virgin pure, immaculate, O Lady Theotokos
Rejoice, O unwedded Bride!
O fleece bedewed with every grace, O Virgin Queen and Mother
Rejoice, O unwedded Bride!

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #1855 on: May 07, 2017, 12:26:30 AM »
I will feel delighted.
How about if someone punched me in real life when I was talking to them about the differences between EO and OO theologies?

Dear Rakovsky

Speak with humility and civility without arrogance. There is no need to defend yourself in this situation. Let the people who saw the characterization judge for themselves. Sometimes the less words said sharpens the argument.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline PJ26

• Jurisdiction: Russian - is there another one? ;)
« Reply #1856 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »
"But me, I figured schismatics gotta schism, and sometimes that means firebombs."

- Agabus, May 16, 2017

;D

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #1857 on: May 17, 2017, 11:24:30 PM »
is this satire?

It's piety. If you don't like the picture, then try not to imagine how much bleaker things may look for O-netters on Judgement Day.
Abbâ Anthony received a revelation in the desert, saying, “In such and such a city there is a man who resembleth thee; he is a physician, and he worketh and giveth whatsoever he earneth to the poor and needy, and each day he, with the angels, ascribeth holiness to God three times a day.”

May the Lord help me to become even a little bit like that guy.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
« Reply #1858 on: May 19, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »
Metropolian Gorge Khodr did make a troparian for labor day in 1 may.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
« Reply #1859 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
First, let me paraphrase Pascal, and apologize for writing a long reply, as I lack the time to write a short one and have been awake 24 hours without sleep.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
« Reply #1860 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
...might I humbly and respectfully suggest that you return to whatever loathsome slimehole whence you slithered?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
« Reply #1861 on: Yesterday at 06:46:31 AM »
I read a vision of Last judgement and oriental orthodox were in deep trouble
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34