OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 02:24:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communion  (Read 1785 times) Average Rating: 0
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« on: March 04, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »

I plan on beginning the conversion process when I start college in the Fall, because it will be easier timewise and with my parents being passivly interested in religion/the roman church(both state they are, mum attends but disagrees on fundamental teachings).

My question is, Should i stop receiving Eucharist in the Roman Church?

Thank you in advance for all answers
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »

I don't know how far along you are in the conversion process, so it's hard to give advice. If you are already somewhat a regular at an Orthodox Church and the priest there knows you and where you are headed, it is best to seek his advice.

But here's my own experience, which is by no means intended to be a model for you. Others who respond may have other views.

During the months of my attending an Orthodox Church and an Evangelical Protestant church where I had been a life-long member (of the denomination, not necessarily the local congregation), I continued to receive Communion until one particular Sunday. In many EvanProt churches, the Communion ritual is not fixed, or if there is one, is optional "for pastoral reasons". I put those words in quotation marks, because in my experience it usually meant "for the pastor's own ego." On the Sunday in question, the pastor as was his practice was not following the denominational ritual, but ad libbing everything. He said at one point, "And Jesus said, 'This is a symbol of my body; this is a symbol of my blood". Jesus said no such thing! I found myself saying silently, "If you have to deliberately misquote Jesus because of your theology, something is very wrong." I did not receive Communion that morning, and determined that my next receiving would be as an Orthodox Christian. At that point, I had no idea how long I would wait for that. As it turned out, it was about six months. It was worth the wait!

When I put the claims of Evangelical Protestantism next to those of Orthodoxy on the matter of Communion, it was easy to see where I stood.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »

As soon as I started an inquiry into Orthodoxy, I stopped receiving at the church that my wife still goes to. But because my inquiry and catechumenate were so long collectively, I think that total I went about 3 1/2 years without communion. When the time came, boy was I ready.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »

Can I ask the dumbest question in the history of OC.net?

Is it real wine or just grape juice served in an Orthodox Church?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »

It's the Blood of Christ that's "served", but before consecration it's real wine.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:29:07 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »

Can I ask the dumbest question in the history of OC.net?

Is it real wine or just grape juice served in an Orthodox Church?

Nobody used grape juice, really, until Welch's pasteurized it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 12:11:06 AM »

I've always wanted more than just a thimble sized Protestant communion cup to drink Welch's.

That Club cracker was also a bit tasteless.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Trevorthodox

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:46 AM »

I continued to receive communion within the Anglican church for most of my inquiry period. Once I realised it was time to make serious enquiries about conversion, I made a decision to deliberately stop receiving communion at my Anglican parish. tbh, It was a really hard thing to do, because I have always loved the Eucharist but still I had to let go and grasp the greater truth of Orthodoxy.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »

While I was still an inquirer, I tried to go to both the Divine Liturgy and my Protestant service. It didn't work, and the effort only lasted a couple of weeks. The difference was just too stark and revealing. Personally, once you are a "regular" at Orthodox services and serious about Orthodoxy, it wouldn't be right to continue communing somewhere else.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »

If you already have plans on beginning a catechumenate in the Fall, sounds like you're already 100% convinced of Orthodoxy's truth. The Orthodox don't commune with other denominations so I'd say you ought to stop.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »

I've always wanted more than just a thimble sized Protestant communion cup to drink Welch's.

That Club cracker was also a bit tasteless.
Word, where were the Catholic chalices so I could have a big gulp? Hate.

The minute we even talked to the priest about what the Orthodox church even was, the other church rang false to me and I couldn't even find a reason to attend, let alone take communion.

I found out that my time may be coming very soon, and I have never been so giddy about receiving communion!  Cheesy You will appreciate it, too. So my advice, if you could, don't take communion at another church, especially if you are already one foot into the conversion process (your mind seems like it's there).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:05:01 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »

i wasnt going to resurrect this due to age, but since it has

Under advice from my future pastor, I have stopped receiving in the Roman Church, and am waiting joyfully until such time i can be baptized and christimated into Holy Orthodoxy
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »

My question is, Should i stop receiving Eucharist in the Roman Church?

Do you believe that it has the Real Presence of the Body and Blood of Christ?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »

I think that total I went about 3 1/2 years without communion

Wow. That's a really long time.

I haven't taken communion for 2 years now.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »

Please speak with Father Ambrose. I'm sure he can help you.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »

Bro, just go to another Church, get chrismated and let it be, not worth you putting this priest's soul in trouble by having him break canons.
Or you can ignore the advice of a Catholic receiving sacraments from a Church with which his bishop is not in communion.

This is a matter for your bishop, a matter he has entrusted to his priests. Do what your spiritual father tells you.
thank you, and i am doing as such.

different question, how does one escape the legalistic thought of the West. I know it is not proper, but yet i feel trapped by it
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 11:23:08 PM »

different question, how does one escape the legalistic thought of the West. I know it is not proper, but yet i feel trapped by it
Define "legalistic thought of the west." That's a pretty broad -- uh -- paradigm you've presented, and without further specification we'd be shooting in the dark at what you mean.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »

Define "legalistic thought of the west." That's a pretty broad -- uh -- paradigm you've presented, and without further specification we'd be shooting in the dark at what you mean.
im sorry for that

The roamanist just seem to pidgeon hole everything even when it isnt necessary, immaculate conception and jus tthe throught
but,
im honestly just overwhelmed now(not just this, things in general), so im sorry iof this seems incoherent or just plain jumbled
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »

im sorry for that

The roamanist just seem to pidgeon hole everything even when it isnt necessary, immaculate conception and jus tthe throught
but,
im honestly just overwhelmed now(not just this, things in general), so im sorry iof this seems incoherent or just plain jumbled
Others may disagree, but my experience is simply that the  more time you spend in the Church, the more you start to internalize the truths of the faith, the more this will ease.

I'm not saying to take this for granted -- each person works in their own way -- but that was the case for me. I suppose I should give the standard disclaimer that you should talk to your priest about it.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »

...but my experience is simply that the  more time you spend in the Church, the more you start to internalize the truths of the faith, the more this will ease.

Yes! Excellent.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »

I have split the Rebaptism issue into another topic it is located at Re: Communion, I will try to get it renamed more appropraitely but currently can't get it done.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

It was moved to the Religious topics.
MK

The topic's name there is Rebaptism and canons
Thomas
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:00:24 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print