OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any recommendations before catechumen  (Read 399 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: March 04, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »

While , I don't think I will be taking the step of becoming a catechumen for at the very least a few months is there anything you would recommend doing before becoming a catechumen?

I have been attending divine liturgy on a weekly basis, I've read a few books, have been attending my school's OCF, and spoken with my priest a few times about various topics. I've also spoken with my parents about it. I also had the chance to see a house blessing at a school friends parents house. Is there any real obvious thing to do before hand?
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

Looks like you've covered most of the standard gaps, e.g., failing to attend worship services, talk with priest, research, and keep your family informed.

Are you currently a self-identifying/practicing Christian?  The reason I ask is that there are different considerations depending on the answer.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully, to the Catechumenate.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Assuming that you are already familiar with Christianity, I would recommend the following;

- Start a prayer rule (Morning and Evening Prayers primarily. They can be found on the internet or you can PM me and I;ll email you coupler of Word documents)
- Pray during the services that you attend. Pray hard. Sit/stand next to folks who get there early and pray hard as well.
- Try to get into the habit of starting Sunday with Vespers on Saturday night and get to Church early on Sunday so that you can prepare for the Divine Liturgy (even though you will not receive Holy Communion for a while).
- Try to attend services particular to Lent, such as the Great Canon, Pre-sanctified Liturgies, and certainly the Holy Week services. Make sure that you do not miss Paschal Services and since it will be crowded, get there a bit early and claim a front-and-center place.

In Christ, Kyrill
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:02:34 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
David Garner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Assuming that you are already familiar with Christianity, I would recommend the following;

- Start a prayer rule (Morning and Evening Prayers primarily. They can be found on the internet or you can PM me and I;ll email you coupler of Word documents)
- Pray during the services that you attend. Pray hard. Sit/stand next to folks who get there early and pray hard as well.
- Try to get into the habit of starting Sunday with Vespers on Saturday night and get to Church early on Sunday so that you can prepare for the Divine Liturgy (even though you will not receive Holy Communion for a while).
- Try to attend services particular to Lent, such as the Great Canon, Pre-sanctified Liturgies, and certainly the Holy Week services. Make sure that you do not miss Paschal Services and since it will be crowded, get there a bit early and claim a front-and-center place.

In Christ, Kyrill

Well said.  I'd add only to speak to the priest about a fasting rule.  I would recommend something simple (we started with a simple eucharistic fast on Sunday even though we were not communing and giving up meat but not fish on appointed fast days, but quickly got into the rhythm of keeping the same fasts the Church keeps).  But in the end, ignore my recommendations and do whatever your priest tells you.

Reading convinced me I wanted to explore Orthodoxy.  Prayer, fasting and attendance convinced me I was in fact Orthodox and needed to join the Church.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: