OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:50:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Godparents  (Read 470 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: March 04, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, our 2 children are being chrismated this Sunday.

They were originally baptized in the RC church, and this leads to my questions:
1) How is it best to broach this with their old RC godparents?
2) What role will those godparents, or rather what role are they permitted to maintain in their lives? They are close friends of ours, and good, faithful people.

In Christ,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »

What role will those godparents, or rather what role are they permitted to maintain in their lives? They are close friends of ours, and good, faithful people.
I suggest they maintain the roles of close friends of yours, and, faithful people. Smiley

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »

What role will those godparents, or rather what role are they permitted to maintain in their lives? They are close friends of ours, and good, faithful people.
I suggest they maintain the roles of close friends of yours, and, faithful people. Smiley

They bore witness to your children's baptism, rebuked Satan on their behalf and professed belief in the 'One holy, catholic and apostolic church'  for them at that time. Now you are completing your children's reception into that one Church, the Orthodox Church, through reception and Chrismation. If your close friends are good and faithful people as you say, they will understand the choices that your family has made. Keep them in yours lives, talk to them about your decision and renew your love for them.  OZGeorge's advice in spot on.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: