OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scandinavian social ways (from: converting?)  (Read 478 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: March 04, 2011, 08:23:54 AM »

I know not all Scandinavian people are the same but I've met a lot of Norwegians and Swedes and what they consider being "friendly" is to me often "too-much too soon" - they start being very friendly sometimes where I think we haven't known each other long enough. If all the priests you meet are non-Scandinavian consider that they have a different idea of things we don't actually even think about normally. If they aren't being explicitly rude it could just be that you are operating according to different ideas of how people are supposed to relate to one another. (Does that make any sense?)

That doesn't sound like what I've read elsewhere or the few times I've met Scandinavians. Unlike the American stereotype of swinging Sweden, I've found them very reserved/withdrawn.

henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »

I know not all Scandinavian people are the same but I've met a lot of Norwegians and Swedes and what they consider being "friendly" is to me often "too-much too soon" - they start being very friendly sometimes where I think we haven't known each other long enough. If all the priests you meet are non-Scandinavian consider that they have a different idea of things we don't actually even think about normally. If they aren't being explicitly rude it could just be that you are operating according to different ideas of how people are supposed to relate to one another. (Does that make any sense?)

That doesn't sound like what I've read elsewhere or the few times I've met Scandinavians. Unlike the American stereotype of swinging Sweden, I've found them very reserved/withdrawn.
I think many immigrants are louder and talk more then the Swedes and those immigrants who talk arabic may sound a bit agressive.
but with alcohol you will have loud and talkative Swedes!

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
MJonsson

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Scandinavia

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:41:22 AM »

Hello im new on the forum so this is my first post.

Most Swedish people i know are friendly, but you have to get to know them first. If you compare them with the people from the US  the ones from the US are ofter friendly from the start, but the Swedish nead to know you a bit first, but when you do you get a good friend.

But there is also a difference between the north and the south, as people from the north generally are more quit, until you get to know them. 
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »

But there is also a difference between the north and the south, as people from the north generally are more quit, until you get to know them. 
that's not always true. sometimes people from the north talk much more than people from the south.

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
MJonsson

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Scandinavia

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »

that's not always true. sometimes people from the north talk much more than people from the south.

Your right, specially not in the sauna or when drinking.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: