OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:27:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do Orthodox monastics welcome or shun family & friends after vows?  (Read 1330 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:28 AM »

Hello, all.  I have a couple of questions about monastics. 

I was reading a book about an athonite monk, and he said that the devil tempts new monastics with memories of family and friends in the world, which he should try and forget, as he's a new man.  BUT, I know a couple of monastics who regularily go and spent time with their family and friends. 

what is the norm for monastics reguarding family and friends?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »

Hello, all.  I have a couple of questions about monastics. 

I was reading a book about an athonite monk, and he said that the devil tempts new monastics with memories of family and friends in the world, which he should try and forget, as he's a new man.  BUT, I know a couple of monastics who regularily go and spent time with their family and friends. 

what is the norm for monastics reguarding family and friends?

It depends on the individual monastic and how healthy their relationship is.  A family that is unfriendly to monasticism (and might be willing to kidnap the monastic to try to "deprogram" him or her) might not receive much contact.  But most of the monastics I have known love to talk to and spend time with their blood families.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:57:51 AM »

The ancient model was total renunciation. These are softer times.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:27:00 AM »

A lot of monastics nowadays seem to like Facebook.  It lets them keep up with their family and friends, without having to have time-consuming back-and-forth communication to get the same information.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:27:43 AM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

f.k.a. Matron.a
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:36:03 AM »

The ancient model still exists. There's some Finnish monk on Mt. Athos. A former friend of his from the World tried to contact and meet him when he visited there. The monk in question refused.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »

A lot of monastics nowadays seem to like Facebook.  It lets them keep up with their family and friends, without having to have time-consuming back-and-forth communication to get the same information.

wow, that's suprising.  I guess they don't make themm like they used too  Wink  .  I really wish there was a book of the everyday life of the 21st century monk.  I read books about monks on Mt. Athos and Valaam, but it seems monasticism has changed a bit. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »

The ancient model still exists. There's some Finnish monk on Mt. Athos. A former friend of his from the World tried to contact and meet him when he visited there. The monk in question refused.

There's also a monk there who surfs the web from his solar-powered laptop!  I can't remember his name, but I remember he's known for writing a psychological analysis of the Philokalia.

f.k.a. Matron.a
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »

It seems to vary.

I know several monastics online (there are a few that contribute here!), but others don't at all.

I know Fr. Seraphim, igumen at Holy Cross Monastery (ROCOR) in West Virginia does NOT approve of the brotherhood using the internet at all. He touches himself only because he has to (coordinating with monastery guests and such through email).

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »

Well, you won't be seeing me all next week. 

Forgive me, Fathers, Mothers, Brothers & Sisters, for my offences against you all.

Have a profitable 1st week of Great Lent.  I think I'm going to try and stay away all of Great Lent.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »

It seems to vary.

I know several monastics online (there are a few that contribute here!), but others don't at all.

I know Fr. Seraphim, igumen at Holy Cross Monastery (ROCOR) in West Virginia does NOT approve of the brotherhood using the internet at all. He touches himself only because he has to (coordinating with monastery guests and such through email).

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »

What's it actually supposed to say?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »

"touches it [the "internet] himself"?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »

That's what I was going for.

You pervert.  Tongue

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »

That's what I was going for.

You pervert.  Tongue

And yet you still made me get that Divinyls song stuck in my head.    Cheesy

f.k.a. Matron.a
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: