OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:58:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube: The Consecration of Chrism  (Read 922 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: March 02, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »

I found this link on another forum and I wanted to pass it along. Thanks to Ray from Lansford, PA.

"Here is a really cool video of the consecration of Holy Chrism by Patriarch Kyril of Russia. It is the whole rite including the mixing of the ingredients. Most people don't get to see this ceremony. Watch how he lights the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZxPlri938  "
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »

I found this link on another forum and I wanted to pass it along. Thanks to Ray from Lansford, PA.

"Here is a really cool video of the consecration of Holy Chrism by Patriarch Kyril of Russia. It is the whole rite including the mixing of the ingredients. Most people don't get to see this ceremony. Watch how he lights the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZxPlri938  "
IIRC, Constantinople just consecrated theirs (ours?). Is this done a common year?

I know that Constantinople, Russia, Serbia, Romania and the OCA consecrate their own chrism.  Who else does? And those who don't, from whom do they get theirs?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »

We get from Constantinople or Russia (it varies).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:25:45 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »

I know that Constantinople, Russia, Serbia, Romania and the OCA consecrate their own chrism.  Who else does?

Bulgaria also consecrates its own chrism.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »

Isn't consecrating your own chrism one of the signs and privileges of being autocephalous?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »

Isn't consecrating your own chrism one of the signs and privileges of being autocephalous?

LOL. That's been discussed before
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20504.0.html

Get his chrism from the EP?  How is he autocephalous then?

Getting myrrh has nothing to do with Autocephaly; yes, non-Autocephalous churches cannot get their myrrh from outside their Church/Patriarchate, and Autocephalous churches can consecrate their own, but it's not a definition of whether one is or is not autocephalous, which has to do (as with most things of Church governance) with hierarchs (election, deposition, etc.).
Technically speaking, any bishop can bless Chrism, but that has become a perogative of the primate of the Church, per Apostolic Canon 36, the same reasoning that links the bishops into a syonod that elects, deposes etc. bishops and elects primates.

During the early centuries of Christianity, a firm tradition existed in the Church in which the Holy Chrism was sanctified only by the bishops of the Church and not by the presbyters (priests).  At that time, there were no distinctions among bishops, that is among bishops of dioceses and metropolitanate bishops of greater church districts. As the years passed, however, the common right of all bishops was eventually transferred to the bishops of churches with greater status, that is, to the Patriarchs, and finally to the Ecumenical Patriarch, who today is able to transmit this right to the heads of local Orthodox churches. In other words, even though each bishop has the right to sanctify the Holy Chrism by his status as bishop, he is not permitted by canon law to do so. It appears that there are three reasons that restrict the right of sanctifying the Holy Chrism to the Ecumenical Patriarch. These reasons include: a) the scarcity of the materials and the difficulty for each bishop to prepare the Holy Chrism, b) the constant increase of dependence of the diocese on the head of the greater church and district, and c) the special position that the Ecumenical Patriarchate received through the centuries in relation to the other patriarchates of the East and that expresses the spiritual bond between the Church of Constantinople and the local churches of the people who received the Christian faith from its missionaries.

In reality, this exclusive right to sanctify the Holy Chrism of the Ecumenical Patriarchate does not mean that local churches are dependent and subordinate to Constantinople. This act of receiving the Holy Chrism from the Ecumenical Patriarchate is a tangible and visible sign of the amity and bond of local churches, patriarchates, and autocephalous churches with the Ecumenical Patriarchate.† It is a necessary sign, not a sign of superiority of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in the Orthodox Church, but an existing visible sign of unity among the cluster of local Orthodox churches. Nevertheless, in the Orthodox Church, the Holy Chrism, in addition to being sanctified in the Ecumenical Patriarchate, is sanctified in the contemporary patriarchates of Moscow, Belgrade, and Bucharest.

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8420

This restriction to the EP is an innovation.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:02:31 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »

This discussion was certainly predictable.  lol  Wink

I just posted it because I thought the video was interesting and few, if any, of us ever saw such a service.
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:40:27 AM »

Thanks for sharing this.  I found it very interesting.

In XC,

Deacon Philip

This discussion was certainly predictable.  lol  Wink

I just posted it because I thought the video was interesting and few, if any, of us ever saw such a service.

In XC,

Deacon Philip
filipinopilgrim

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZxPlri938  "
IIRC, Constantinople just consecrated theirs (ours?). Is this done a common year?

I know that Constantinople, Russia, Serbia, Romania and the OCA consecrate their own chrism.  Who else does? And those who don't, from whom do they get theirs?

I know this is an old discussion, but would like to add to this.

Bulgaria consecrates its own chrism; the late Patriarch Maxim did it many times.

Georgia also consecrates its own chrism, see this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K6bOZcVnHM

Chrism Sanctified in Svetitskhoveli

2011-04-21 Catholicos Patriarch of All Georgia, His Holiness and Beatitude Ilia II has performed the process of sanctifying the Holy chrism at Svetotskhoveli Church in Mtskheta on Holy Thursday today.

Interestingly, Patriarch Kirill has sanctified chrism three times since his enthronement: 2009, 2012, and 2013.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:54:26 PM by filipinopilgrim » Logged
Tags: chrism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: