OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 02:24:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy is different than other Christian faiths  (Read 494 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: March 01, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »

Hello, All.  I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on something? 

it's been almost a year since I became a communing member of the Orthodox Church.  it was absolutly an amazing journey, and what's more amazing is that it has only just started! 

I now know that Orthodoxy is different from all other denominations of Christianity, in that it's not a faith that calls us to practace our faith only on Sunday mornings.  we are Orthodox every day!  we have so much praying to do at different times of the day, and so many services at the Church (especially now that Lent is starting soon).

Orthodoxy is also different in that there is SO MUCH to read!  I love this faith, in that there is so much to learn. so much to sink my spiritual teeth into. 

although I am just starting out, I feel like I've really grown spiritually since being chrismated.  people comment at how mature I've become since entering the Church, and I owe all of that to the Church.  The Church comtinues to teach me how to improve myself, and taught me that there is alwayse room for improvement. 

lastly, and this is what I want your thoughts on, I'm experiencing something amazing.  when I try to explain it to non Orthdox Christians, they give me a funny look.  I actually feel God, you know?  when I say my prayers and recieve the Holy Mysteries of the Church, I get this indescribable feeling of God being with me.  when people tell me God's not real, I can confidently say that he is, because I feel him.  I could never truthfully deny this feeling.  It's just amazing, but I really feel Him. 

my fellow Orthodox Christians, have you had a similar feeling of God in your life as a result of the Church?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:12:10 PM »

Hello, All.  I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on something? 

it's been almost a year since I became a communing member of the Orthodox Church.  it was absolutly an amazing journey, and what's more amazing is that it has only just started! 

I now know that Orthodoxy is different from all other denominations of Christianity,
Let me fix that for you.

in that it's not a faith that calls us to practace our faith only on Sunday mornings.  we are Orthodox every day!  we have so much praying to do at different times of the day, and so many services at the Church (especially now that Lent is starting soon).

Orthodoxy is also different in that there is SO MUCH to read!  I love this faith, in that there is so much to learn. so much to sink my spiritual teeth into. 

although I am just starting out, I feel like I've really grown spiritually since being chrismated.  people comment at how mature I've become since entering the Church, and I owe all of that to the Church.  The Church comtinues to teach me how to improve myself, and taught me that there is alwayse room for improvement. 

lastly, and this is what I want your thoughts on, I'm experiencing something amazing.  when I try to explain it to non Orthdox Christians, they give me a funny look.  I actually feel God, you know?  when I say my prayers and recieve the Holy Mysteries of the Church, I get this indescribable feeling of God being with me.  when people tell me God's not real, I can confidently say that he is, because I feel him.  I could never truthfully deny this feeling.  It's just amazing, but I really feel Him. 

my fellow Orthodox Christians, have you had a similar feeling of God in your life as a result of the Church?
Yes. But it's hard to convince someone of True Love if they have never been in love.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »

"I actually feel God, you know?  when I say my prayers and receive the Holy Mysteries of the Church, I get this indescribable feeling of God being with me.  when people tell me God's not real, I can confidently say that he is, because I feel him.  I could never truthfully deny this feeling.  It's just amazing, but I really feel Him. 

my fellow Orthodox Christians, have you had a similar feeling of God in your life as a result of the Church?"

Yes, and isn't it wonderful? There have been times when I've felt the presence of the Holy Spirit so strongly that it has verged on the palpable. At those times, if I am hurt, He comforts me. If I am lonely, He sends someone to me in friendship. If I'm at an impasse, He sends a solution. And it's always just the right solution. Sometimes, I experience Him as a brief, beautiful moment during the service.

I can barely describe it--there's a feeling that accompanies those moments so I know it's not just one of life's coincidences--but I know what you mean.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: