OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:38:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Liturgy Translation From Slavonic?  (Read 1965 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: March 01, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »

Greetings!
So, as I live in, and am being catechized in Russia, obviously every service i attend is in Slavonic. For Russians who are educated/experienced/attentive, like my wife, they seem to be able to make out the meanings of most of it. I, on the other hand, speaking Russian only as a seond language, find Slavonic to be utterly mystifying, save Господи Помилуй, Отцу и Сыну и Святому Духу, мир, века, and a few other key/obvious phrases.

I have read the Liturgy in English, and also, my priest was kind enough to find me a pamphlet that hasthe Slavonic and English side by side, which I was very excited about. Trouble is, the Slavonic text is also written in the Old Slavonic alphabet, not in the Russian alphabet, which I can feel my way through, but only at a very slow and concentrated pace, certainly not quickly enough to follow the service.

My question is: does anyone know of any online links/order-able books (though the mail can be iffy here) that would have the liturgy written in Slavonic, but in the modern Russian alphabet, side by side with either English or Modern Russian?

In Christ,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »

Greetings!
So, as I live in, and am being catechized in Russia, obviously every service i attend is in Slavonic. For Russians who are educated/experienced/attentive, like my wife, they seem to be able to make out the meanings of most of it. I, on the other hand, speaking Russian only as a seond language, find Slavonic to be utterly mystifying, save Господи Помилуй, Отцу и Сыну и Святому Духу, мир, века, and a few other key/obvious phrases.

I have read the Liturgy in English, and also, my priest was kind enough to find me a pamphlet that hasthe Slavonic and English side by side, which I was very excited about. Trouble is, the Slavonic text is also written in the Old Slavonic alphabet, not in the Russian alphabet, which I can feel my way through, but only at a very slow and concentrated pace, certainly not quickly enough to follow the service.

My question is: does anyone know of any online links/order-able books (though the mail can be iffy here) that would have the liturgy written in Slavonic, but in the modern Russian alphabet, side by side with either English or Modern Russian?

In Christ,
Jim
http://liturgy.ru/nav/liturg/liturgia.php
uses the modern Russian alphabet.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:38:28 AM »

This is helpful, though what I'm really after is something like this with translated English or modern Russian en face.

Just as I wrote that, I realized that I could just print out the words from that link, and have an english translation right next to it.

Thanks, as always, for your well of help and information, ialmisry!

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
mildert
Deacon Philip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:49:37 AM »

I have such a book which I bought from St Tikhon's press

The Divine Liturgy - English / Church Slavonic (Russian Orthography)   (BOOK) 
ISBN/SKU: 9780962359807 

Currently it's out of stock, but maybe they have more on order...

It would be even better if they included the stress marks.

In XC,

Deacon Philip

This is helpful, though what I'm really after is something like this with translated English or modern Russian en face.

Just as I wrote that, I realized that I could just print out the words from that link, and have an english translation right next to it.

Thanks, as always, for your well of help and information, ialmisry!

In XC,

Deacon Philip
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »

By Old Slavonic alphabet do you mean pre-gradzanka Cyrillic or Glagothic?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:57:42 AM »

Glagolic alphabet is now  liturgically used by no one.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »

There used to be, and I suspect there still are, prayer books which display the Liturgy in Slavonic and English in a side-by-side manner using the 'Latinika' transliteration of Slavonic. An early 20th century Orthodox version of Duchnovyc's ''Chlib Duse" (Our Daily Bread) was available for many years from the Vestal Publishing Company iformerly located inPerth Amboy, NJ and now in Cliffwood, NJ and may still be available from some sources. You can find their phone number with a simple Google search. The English version is not the best, nor is it used by any jurisdiction these days, but it does make following a Slavonic liturgy easy for those who struggle with Cyrillic text. Many people who grew up in the old Metropolia or ACROD will fondly remember being presented with this book at their first confession back in the day. Holoviak's Church Supply in Berwick, PA used to stock this book and it may still be a source.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:24:55 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: