OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:55:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would a Council Be Necessary?  (Read 23851 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2004, 07:49:28 PM »

Don't direct your advice to me. I don't need your attitude. And your double standard , better called hypocrisy, stinks.

Stavro....

I am sorry if you think my attitude stinks, I don't mean to offend you, and I don't think you should get so upset. I just honesltly think you should have asked for a clarification first, but thats just my opinion.

Once again, how did Anasatasios take action against Linus? How and where has Linus made his racists inclincations clear over and over again? And please show me where I have embraced some type of double standard.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 07:57:41 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2004, 08:02:48 PM »

Antonious I know you didn't jump to any conclustions, but Stavro did. And my post that you quoted was addressed to Stavro.

I thought it was addressed to me because you quoted me in the post where you made the statement. Huh

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2004, 08:04:32 PM »

Oy....You quoted one of my posts to Stavro, and then I quoted your post in one, and then you quoted that post in a post to me. It all started with me telling Stavro that maybe he should seek a clarification from Linus b4 jumping to conclusions and then quoting me on that. Sorry for any confusion!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 08:11:20 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2004, 08:15:16 PM »

Ben,
try reading any post by Linus about the Coptic Church, for example.
Your double standard is amplified when you insult me, but jump very quick to point what you perceive as an insult.
And in the end, you are right, maybe Anastasios did not take enough actions.Just asking for a clarification for an obvious racist comment is disappointing, but expected.

And again:"Do not direct your posts to me". This should be simple to understand. I don't see a reason and there is no motive to communicate with you.  

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2004, 08:19:24 PM »

I was just saying that I can easily see how Stavro or anyone else would reach that conclusion.  Man, this forum has become little more than a battle royale..... :'(  The Oriental Orthodox really need a place where we can post in peace and not always have to debate Chalcedon.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2004, 08:24:26 PM »

Ben,
try reading any post by Linus about the Coptic Church, for example.
Your double standard is amplified when you insult me, but jump very quick to point what you perceive as an insult.
And in the end, you are right, maybe Anastasios did not take enough actions.Just asking for a clarification for an obvious racist comment is disappointing, but expected.

And again:"Do not direct your posts to me". This should be simple to understand. I don't see a reason and there is no motive to communicate with you.  

Stavro...

I do not see how I have insulted you, all I did was state my opinion that you should seek a clarification from Linus.

And honestly I have seen many of Linus's posts and only one has contained anything that can be taken in a racist context. You have stated that he has "clearly" shown his racist inclinations over and over again. I really want to know if that is true, and if it is a mod needs to do something about it. However, if it is not true and you are just saying that then you have committed slander and should apologize. Please, I am asking nicely, show me where Linus has clearly shown his racism.

As for Anastasios, I think he did the right thing. He is a good Admin and works very hard.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 08:25:56 PM by Ben » Logged

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2004, 02:10:29 AM »

Man, this forum has become little more than a battle royale.....   The Oriental Orthodox really need a place where we can post in peace and not always have to debate Chalcedon.

I wholeheartedly agree.

In Christ,
Aaron
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2004, 05:56:34 PM »

I wish so always. There are forums devoted to Coptic Orthodox like coptichymns but I like having a mix of folk, but not all this aggression. I don't see why we can't post from our pov (and we know it is our pov and is not accepted by everyone) but why can't we post from our pov without having Byzantine opinion thrust down our throats. I already know the Byzantine POV

Could you not introduce a filter so that posts would not display from people in a personal list?

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2004, 06:33:30 PM »

I wish so always. There are forums devoted to Coptic Orthodox like coptichymns but I like having a mix of folk, but not all this aggression. I don't see why we can't post from our pov (and we know it is our pov and is not accepted by everyone) but why can't we post from our pov without having Byzantine opinion thrust down our throats. I already know the Byzantine POV

Could you not introduce a filter so that posts would not display from people in a personal list?

Wait a minute.

Nobody bothers you when you stick with non-controversial material.

It is only when you begin badmouthing the Council of Chalcedon and Fathers like St. Leo - while simultaneously attempting to present yourself as the emissary of peace, love, and unity - that you encounter resistance.

Whom did you expect to encounter here?

People wholly without convictions?

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2004, 07:20:58 PM »

Linus, why do you feel the need to monitor what we say?  You know that this folder is for Non-Chalcedonian discussion.  You know that views will be expressed here with which you do not agree.  What good  will your attempts to police us do?

You act as if this is an Eastern Orthodox forum, and we are merely tolerated guests.  This is not the case.  Your views are obviously in contradiction to those of the administrators and moderators, who have stated that this is merely an Orthodox forum, and they include us in that definition.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 07:22:15 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #190 on: June 17, 2004, 07:29:49 PM »

Linus, why do you feel the need to monitor what we say?  You know that this folder is for Non-Chalcedonian discussion.  You know that views will be expressed here with which you do not agree.  What good  will your attempts to police us do?

You act as if this is an Eastern Orthodox forum, and we are merely tolerated guests.  This is not the case.  Your views are obviously in contradiction to those of the administrators and moderators, who have stated that this is merely an Orthodox forum, and they include us in that definition.

Given that this board is what you say it is, why should you expect no posts from Eastern Orthodox, especially when one of your own speaks of us ramming our viewpoint down your throats?

It seems to me that if you really wish not to hear from the Eastern Orthodox, you should post only on an exclusively Non-Chalcedonian web site.

Since this web site is, as you insist it is, so inclusive, you must expect the others here to post sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 07:31:00 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #191 on: June 17, 2004, 07:33:34 PM »

Given that this board is what you say it is, why should you expect no posts from Eastern Orthodox, especially when one of your own speaks of us ramming our viewpoint down your throats?

It seems to me that if you really wish not to hear from the Eastern Orthodox, you should post only on an exclusively Non-Chalcedonian web site.

Since this web site is, as you insist it is, so inclusive, you must expect the others here to post sometimes.

They do.  Sometimes they agree with us, sometimes they contradict us.  No problem.  Its your attitude buddy.  That's the problem.  How many have to say that to you for you to get it?

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #192 on: June 17, 2004, 07:51:02 PM »

They do.  Sometimes they agree with us, sometimes they contradict us.  No problem.  Its your attitude buddy.  That's the problem.  How many have to say that to you for you to get it?

You misunderstand my attitude, which you cannot possibly know unless you are a mind reader.

I don't attack any of you personally the way many of you have badmouthed me.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2004, 07:54:41 PM »

You misunderstand my attitude, which you cannot possibly know unless you are a mind reader.

Not a mind reader, just a reader.  Granted, the internet has certain limitations, and you may have been misunderstood in some cases, but the written word can carry a lot of "tone" and "attitude" with it.  It is quite an effective mode of communication.  Now let me put my Karnak hat on and see what kind of read I'm getting on you...Hiyo!

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2004, 08:02:23 PM »

Not a mind reader, just a reader.  Granted, the internet has certain limitations, and you may have been misunderstood in some cases, but the written word can carry a lot of "tone" and "attitude" with it.  It is quite an effective mode of communication.  Now let me put my Karnak hat on and see what kind of read I'm getting on you...Hiyo!

You're right about that.

I really have a difficult time detecting an arrogant tone in what I post, although you obviously think it's there.

I just post what I believe to be true.

Most of the time I don't have enough time to soften it up or re-read it over and over to remove anything possibly offensive.

I strive to stick with opposition to the arguments of others rather than to their persons.

What I write will often offend those who disagree with me.

I don't think that can always be helped.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2004, 08:31:35 PM »

You're right about that.

I really have a difficult time detecting an arrogant tone in what I post, although you obviously think it's there.

I just post what I believe to be true.

Most of the time I don't have enough time to soften it up or re-read it over and over to remove anything possibly offensive.

I strive to stick with opposition to the arguments of others rather than to their persons.

What I write will often offend those who disagree with me.

I don't think that can always be helped.

Hmmmm...I can see what you are saying up to a point.  That is just the way you express yourself in writing.  But it also sounds like you are saying that you don't have the time or feel the need to make adjustments to your personal style for the sake of peace.  I doubt you're really that kind of guy in person.  At least, I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt.  I mean, you got a read on me as engaging in "mockery", whereas I just saw myself as trying to lighten up the mood.  Maybe we're missing a lot with body language, etc., and the discourse would be different face to face.  Believe it or not, I have good Chalcedonian friends with whom I have these debates face to face all the time, and it never gets "ugly" like it does here.

Tags: Troll ecumenical councils Chalcedon Chalcedon polemics 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: