OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:33:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it ok to be prayed over by Charismatics?  (Read 1261 times) Average Rating: 0
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« on: February 28, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »

I’ve posted before that my husband is die hard Evangelical and for the sake of keeping peace, I’ve been attending his church 1-2 a month. Yesterday was one of these times and wouldn’t you know it, I found myself in the type of situation I was trying to avoid. After the service, pastor asked the “Prayer Group”(which is a group of several ladies who think they are led by Holy Spirit) to come up to the front and pray for anyone who wants to be prayed over. Going over didn’t enter my mind however, I was pushed over by my “well-meaning: husband who asked the lady to pray for my health(I’ve been having some problems). Not only did she pray over me, she also declared that she saw two angels, performing surgery on my heart(and my heart has nothing to do with my health issues) and that she saw them removing “scales” from my body in order to heal me. I was very uncomfortable with the whole thing. I don’t have an issue with someone praying for me, it’s the other stuff she was claiming she “saw”. I’m kind of afraid when people claim that they “see” things because I don’t know if its really HS or something demonic(or they just making it up altogether). My questions is-should I avoid Charismatics praying over me? Or praying WITH them, for that matter?

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

I would, even if I were in your situation. If people want to pray for you, that's one thing. But, to me, for people other than priests to pray "over" people seems pretentious. In the Orthodox Church, we have many, many holy people who worked many miracles and prophesied, but many of these rejected any kind of honors or attention. They prayed, as the Lord directs, alone in their rooms. I would not pray with them, either. Pray in your heart. And God, who dwells in the heart, will hear your prayer. God be with you.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »

Well, I'm only a catechumen but I would definitely say no... I wouldn't do it myself.

False religions use the same appearances and actions as true religion to work. A good deal of other religions use "laying on of hands" and possession - but not by the Holy Spirit but by what they believe are Gods, and they call it possession (my emphasis being this is not a foreigner projecting an interpretation on another culture's beliefs, it is what they say).

Look in the Bible and see what the fruits of the Holy Spirit are. Then read about the demon possessed in the Bible, their actions and behaviours are the fruits of possession. Then see which one matches those of Charismatics.
blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »

I would avoid it, personally. My wife and I left a charismatic church to come to Orthodoxy, and have many dear friends still over in that "camp." We have visited since leaving, but we typically pray the Jesus Prayer when they pray, always crossing ourselves appropriately beforehand. No one has been offended it seems, and I would stop going before I compromised my Faith. We do not participate in any of the "circus" activities they call "praying over" someone. After praying, researching, and speaking to my priest, I believe that most (including myself for some time) within the charismatic/pentecostal movement are trapped in Spirtiual Prelest, and in deep need of intercessory prayer from us and the whole Communion of Saints. Others within the movement may indeed be led by dark forces, but many are simply uninformed and misdirected. If you do choose to continue going, I would recommend politely excusing yourself from being "prayed over," and you might want to have a talk with your spouse about your concerns. If he expects you to be respectful of his views, he needs to follow suit and respect yours. Good luck and God bless you.

Lord have mercy!

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »

I’ve posted before that my husband is die hard Evangelical and for the sake of keeping peace, I’ve been attending his church 1-2 a month. Yesterday was one of these times and wouldn’t you know it, I found myself in the type of situation I was trying to avoid. After the service, pastor asked the “Prayer Group”(which is a group of several ladies who think they are led by Holy Spirit) to come up to the front and pray for anyone who wants to be prayed over. Going over didn’t enter my mind however, I was pushed over by my “well-meaning: husband who asked the lady to pray for my health(I’ve been having some problems). Not only did she pray over me, she also declared that she saw two angels, performing surgery on my heart(and my heart has nothing to do with my health issues) and that she saw them removing “scales” from my body in order to heal me. I was very uncomfortable with the whole thing. I don’t have an issue with someone praying for me, it’s the other stuff she was claiming she “saw”. I’m kind of afraid when people claim that they “see” things because I don’t know if its really HS or something demonic(or they just making it up altogether). My questions is-should I avoid Charismatics praying over me? Or praying WITH them, for that matter?

As an Orthodox Christian, I would try to avoid it like the plague, but seeing how you're only an enquirer, there is some wiggle room for you as you have not bound yourself to Orthodox belief and practice as a member of the Body.

I would say that if it makes you feel uncomfortable, you didn't want to do it in the first place, and they saw "angels performing surgery" on something that does not even need healed, you should follow your instincts on this one.

If you want to give your husband a reason why he shouldn't put you into those situations, you could just tell him that the Bible says to have "the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord" (James 5:14). Having a women's prayer group doing that kind of thing is not only not found in Scripture, but also goes against the proper way to do things as it is outlined in Scripture.

But then again, I don't know how well this would be received and there might be a better way of letting him know that you're not comfortable with the women praying over you like that.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »

If you do choose to continue going, I would recommend politely excusing yourself from being "prayed over," and you might want to have a talk with your spouse about your concerns. If he expects you to be respectful of his views, he needs to follow suit and respect yours.

Good advice. I would have felt very uncomfortable myself, and I think it was very sweet of you not to have conked your husband over the head for putting you in this situation! Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »

If you do choose to continue going, I would recommend politely excusing yourself from being "prayed over," and you might want to have a talk with your spouse about your concerns. If he expects you to be respectful of his views, he needs to follow suit and respect yours.

Good advice. I would have felt very uncomfortable myself, and I think it was very sweet of you not to have conked your husband over the head for putting you in this situation! Grin
hahaha, i kind of wanted to!

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »

I second the advice and the observation praising your exercise of restraint Grin
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:09:04 AM »

Only if they are Orthodox---yes there are Charismatic Orthodox Christians.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 05:40:47 AM »

I certainly understand your discomfort with the situation you were thrust into.  But, it wasn't your fault, so I wouldn't worry about.  I would recommend confessing the situation you were forced into, though, at your next confession.  Otherwise, while all prayer to our Triune God is welcome, we should refrain from joint prayer with the heterodox.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:02:45 AM »

What the heck are Charismatics?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:37:32 AM »

Oh, the scales! I don't know why that image horrifies me to this day, but it does.

Request that your husband not do it again, and if he does, just pray while anyone else is praying over you. If you can even muster the courage, say, "I have been lifted up in prayer already," and walk out of the church into the parking lot.

If anyone followed me and said, "Well, I want to pray for you RIGHT NOW! You might need it!" I would have an excuse to tell them that they are not necessary to my healing and walk on. They can think I'm devil possessed all they want.

At the worst? Pray yourself while they're praying. God knows your heart.

I never really thought about not praying with the heterodox, though. That would be kind of hard, only because my friends like to call me up on the phone and ask to pray with them for certain things (I pray as Biblically as I know -- no word-faith or prosperity gospel mumbo jumbo or anything like that, which tends to make them mad).  Undecided I'm sure they will see it as a big insult if I tell them that I can't.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »

Christianity + tongues (if you don't have the gift, there's a problem) + prophecy (if you don't have the gift, there's a problem) + the belief that God wants us healthy and healed, and if you're not, it's because you don't have enough faith

And usually + word-faith + prosperity gospel

Basically, Christianity that really twists everything. I have been there, and I believe that many of the people that I know really love God, but boy, they are misled to the extreme. And the prayers -- I don't want to say that they're invoking demons (they usually pray against them in the name of Jesus), but they...let me say it like this. They seem like they're playing God ("Thank you for the healing you've already done") or using Him like a genie in their prayers. Which is why I have been making charismatics angry with my prayer style since 2006.  Shocked

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »

I would point out the error to your dear husband, and point out that is why you don't consult those who don't pass the Deuteronomy test of prophecy.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought it might be something I started several years ago.

Before I became Orthodox, and was still Catholic, I became involved with the Catholic charismatic movement.  I attended a Life in the Spirit seminar, and was excited in anticipating a great change in my spiritual life with the "Baptism in the Spirit" that would cap the seminar.  However, I also was unsure of the speaking in tongues, prophecy and so on.  I sought the advice of Orthodox, who recommended I not undergo the "Baptism in the Spirit", since one couldn't tell what "spirit" it might be.  I ended up going through with the "Baptism in the Spirit," but I prayed the Jesus Prayer the entire time.  I did not experience any change, any speaking in tongues.  The lady in the pew in front of me, who was just prayed over, was crying (in joy at some experience?) 

Personally, I think you should politely avoid praying with Charismatics (Catholic or Evangelical), and having them pray over you.  When they're speaking in tongues, you don't know who they are really invoking. 
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:39:13 PM »

They are those Christians who emphasize certain gifts of the Holy Spirit, such as speaking in tongues, prophecy, healing, and so on.  They believe that one receives these gifts through the "Baptism in the Spirit," which is done through the laying on of hands and praying over the person to receive a releasing of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.  They are similar to Pentecostals in many respects.  Their services involve "praise and worship' style music, the swaying of outstretched hands, strong emotions, and being "slain in the spirit".  Some Charismatics believe they are filled with the spirit and then begin barking like dogs.   
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »

Only if they are Orthodox---yes there are Charismatic Orthodox Christians.

Thomas

I've heard of this, but have yet to meet one.  I personally would have reservation in a Charismatic Orthodox Christian praying over me in tongues, unless his or her gift had been tested, as by a priest or bishop. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: