OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:26:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entering a Coptic church  (Read 745 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew - The First Called

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Ireland, Scotland, North East England and its Affiliated Regions

« on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »

I know that when the Eastern Orthodox enter their churches it is common to kiss certain icons and light a candle etc. What should or what can a lay person do when they enter a Coptic church? (prostrations, crossing etc.) What prayers are suitable to be said when one reaches their pew, or when one enters the church itself?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »

I have vaguely been told something about going up to the icon of Christ on the iconostasis and saying certain prayers with some bows, but I don't remember anything more than that. I have seen done by deacons what was being explained to me, but I cannot elaborate on the exact nature of it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:37:37 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »

I'm wondering the same. What should one do when entering and exiting a Coptic Church?

Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 07:26:27 PM »

I can't comment as to the Coptic Church, but here is what Armenians do:

Upon entering the church:

1. Cross yourself when you enter, if you find that you have to cross the middle to get to an open pew, turn facing the altar and cross yourself again solemnly while bowing your head, then move to your pew.

2. When you find your pew, cross yourself, say the Our Father, cross yourself again and sit down (if you are allowed to at the point in the services).

Upon leaving the church:

1. Stand in line to kiss the Gospel and say (Hishestse Der zamenayn badaraks ko, "May God remember all of your sacrifices").
2. As you move towards the exit, take the mas (post-communion bread).
3. You must exit the door walking backwards, and cross yourself, so as not to "turn your back on God".

Maybe it is similar in the Coptic Church?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:27:30 PM by Gisasargavak » Logged
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »

I can't comment as to the Coptic Church, but here is what Armenians do:

Upon entering the church:

1. Cross yourself when you enter, if you find that you have to cross the middle to get to an open pew, turn facing the altar and cross yourself again solemnly while bowing your head, then move to your pew.

2. When you find your pew, cross yourself, say the Our Father, cross yourself again and sit down (if you are allowed to at the point in the services).

Upon leaving the church:

1. Stand in line to kiss the Gospel and say (Hishestse Der zamenayn badaraks ko, "May God remember all of your sacrifices").
2. As you move towards the exit, take the mas (post-communion bread).
3. You must exit the door walking backwards, and cross yourself, so as not to "turn your back on God".

Maybe it is similar in the Coptic Church?

Thanks. In my parish people just enter and walk to their seats. I know that there certain things you do entering/exiting the church, I just don't know what that is. Smiley

copticuser20

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Khen Piekhristos Isoos Penchois

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »

Please refer to the first 6 bullet points on this site: http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/deaconship/deacons_instructions.pdf. This pdf is directed to the deacon but it is generally what everyone should do. To add, there is usually an icon or icons with candles that people pray in front of and light a candle.
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »

Please refer to the first 6 bullet points on this site: http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/deaconship/deacons_instructions.pdf. This pdf is directed to the deacon but it is generally what everyone should do. To add, there is usually an icon or icons with candles that people pray in front of and light a candle.

Thank you very much!

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: