OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:45:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did God take so long to prepare for the savior of the world?  (Read 1848 times) Average Rating: 0
TryingtoConvert
Elder

Faith: Disbelief in your belief
Jurisdiction: All in your mind

« on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »

I never understood how it took almost 100,000 years until Christ is born, so what about all those people who died? Just all white noise then eh for preparation...
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »

John the Baptist preached to them in Hades, and Christ freed them when he destroyed the bonds keeping them there.

As to why it took so long, well for one thing, the Roman Empire's worldwide (for the time) system of roads sure made it easier to spread the Gospel than it would have been otherwise. Having a lingua franca in the Greek language helped, too. And the Jewish people needed to grow and be perfected to a point where they produced a woman with the virtue of the Virgin Mary, who would ultimately say 'yes' to God. Religion and philosophy had to develop to a level where people could communicate the concepts of Christianity. Christ came at "the culmination of the ages."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:47:49 PM by bogdan » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »

I never understood how it took almost 100,000 years until Christ is born, so what about all those people who died? Just all white noise then eh for preparation...

He waited until things got really bad.

I have heard folks speculate that the Roman Empire was so depraved that God had to come down to Earth to set us on a better path.

The time was also ripe in terms spiritual development of the Jewish People.

Righteous people who lived earlier got their reward I am sure.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »

Christ came at "the culmination of the ages."
That's what I always figured. It was at the perfect moment, it was an area that cultivated great philosophers who after Christ we have great theologians; the Empire was unified in the Mediterrean Basin so the Gospel could spread rapidly, etc etc.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »

It's not for us to know.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »

Same as the answer to: Why did it take God 6 billion years to create man? It is because it was God's will, enough said.

Forgive my sins.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 02:44:42 AM »

Same as the answer to: Why did it take God 6 billion years to create man? It is because it was God's will, enough said.

It was definitely worth waiting 6 billion years for this guy...

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »

Perhaps to make it clear how badly we needed a savior. But who knows. All we know is St. Paul says that Christ was born of a woman "in the fullness of time". Apparently, it happened when it was supposed to.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »

Idea mining from Hitchens are we? Wink
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »

Why do you consider 100,000 years a long time?  Or a couple million years?  Or a billion or two years?  When we think in terms of man, yep, this is a long time, as our lives are only a handful of decades.  But if you measure it in the face of eternity?  It took Him the immediacy of a moment or less.  We don't see ourselves, our world, time or reality as we ought.  Our 'looker' is broken.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:21:55 PM »

God had to work with what he had. The genealogies are there for a reason. God ain't acting alone, He is working with real humans beings. You can't get from Cain to the Theotokos in lived flesh and blood in one step.

You can jump all over this with the typical attacks if you wish, but the so called "ontological will of God" "versus" the "providential will of God" is too complicated a matter for everyone.

Some of the above answers might fit into some providential apology, but at the source, God ain't moving people around like chess pieces. The Theotokos was the fruit of a long and terrible struggle of particular people working out their relationship with God.

TtC, if you truly are open to conversion, you might find that your questions will be less directed at God (not that this is inappropriate, bad, or shouldn't be, and can often be healthy within a context of faith or true struggle) than at yourself.

To turn your question around, why has it taken me so long to accept the Savior of the world and having accepting Him and ostensibly having the fuller Truth than Adam and Eve, do I reject and disregard Him and His teachings?

Adam and Eve get a bad rap for their sin. Christians according to their faith have the fullness of Truth and sin over and over and over and over again.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
TryingtoConvert
Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »

God only chose to reveal himself as Yahweh to only one region. Why I wonder, is it so that in different regions god seems to be completely different? curious.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »

God only chose to reveal himself as Yahweh to only one region. Why I wonder, is it so that in different regions god seems to be completely different? curious.
Because the other religions were wrong.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 02:59:30 PM »

He had to work with a specific people and within history. All due respect to Papist, but his answer is rather flippant and not in line with even what the RCC would teach. Read St. Paul, especially when he witnesses in Athens to them about their worship. Read what he says. Then read other writings of St. Paul (see the thread by PoorNick on The Law).

No doubt, it seems scandalous. And your questions are tough and realistic ones. If you decide, to read the Hebrew Scriptures with all the genocide, rape, incest, murder, adultery, etc., what I find so remarkable is the honesty of struggle that Israel maintained in their writings. Why keep all those scandalous stories about the Patriarchs and so on in your Holy Scriptures?

Read the Psalms, ain't all just Hallelujah.

And to answer your question more specifically and again in light of what I wrote above: God didn't zap anyone into the Truth. He had work with people who were willing (and most weren't and those who ended up working with God did so with much cajoling).

But to say the all the rest of creation was completely in the "dark" is not Biblical nor Christian.

Knowing the Truth ain't no walk in the park or desert as it were.

The recent Gospel reading on Sunday was the parable of the Last Judgement. Want to know the Truth? Be careful what you ask for, for to the degree we know the Truth and fail to LIVE it is to the degree of own condemnation.

FWIW.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:00:44 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »

Want to know the Truth? Be careful what you ask for, for to the degree we know the Truth and fail to LIVE it is to the degree of own condemnation.

Wow that's a really good point, I'd like to add a bit more. Getting exposed to the Truth can set you free.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TryingtoConvert
Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »

The earth is 4.5 billion years old, and the universe is at least 14 billion years old. God's a procrastinator?

I'm not open to conversion unless someone gives me some real evidence that God even exists. and then if they can actually prove to me that which no primate can know, which is the mind of God; then i'll think about it.

Did you just foretell judgment day, and use that to threaten me into believing in your imaginary friend? hahaha
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 12:47:04 AM »

The earth is 4.5 billion years old, and the universe is at least 14 billion years old. God's a procrastinator?

I'm not open to conversion unless someone gives me some real evidence that God even exists. and then if they can actually prove to me that which no primate can know, which is the mind of God; then i'll think about it.

Did you just foretell judgment day, and use that to threaten me into believing in your imaginary friend? hahaha

Can you honestly say why you are here?

That would be a thread you should start and try to work out for yourself. In all seriousness. Why are you here (this forum I mean)?

If you cannot bring yourself to do that, at least work on your reading comprehension.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 12:54:14 AM »

I'm not open to conversion unless someone gives me some real evidence that God even exists.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have started a thread that isn't about the existence of God.

And as I noted in another thread, Orthodoxy only teaches that God exists in a certain sense. In another sense, God doesn't exist, because He is not a creature.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 12:57:58 AM »

Can one primate even know another primate's mind? What is the point of all this nonsense?
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 03:43:19 AM »

Oh please, no! Stop! There is a God! The only person you are hurting is yourself!....
....There: I tried.

Can one primate even know another primate's mind? What is the point of all this nonsense?
Clearly other primates don't exist.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 05:30:49 AM »

These threads seem really lame.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
TryingtoConvert
Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:49 PM »

I'm not open to conversion unless someone gives me some real evidence that God even exists.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have started a thread that isn't about the existence of God.

And as I noted in another thread, Orthodoxy only teaches that God exists in a certain sense. In another sense, God doesn't exist, because He is not a creature.

Could you explain this further please? How does he exist in a certain sense in orthodoxy?
TryingtoConvert
Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »

That would be a thread you should start and try to work out for yourself. In all seriousness. Why are you here (this forum I mean)?

If you cannot bring yourself to do that, at least work on your reading comprehension.
Just seeing if you had any good reasons for being pious.

I'm sorry I require actual reasons to hold a belief, but i can't just bypass reason.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »

I'm sorry I require actual reasons to hold a belief, but i can't just bypass reason.

You should still work on your reading comprehension.

If you want to know the Truth, then you should try living it for a while. You've blown off praxis suggested here.

If you want to hold a "rational" debate on the "existence" of God. Then you need to stick with Papist.

Maybe you will convert to believing in the unmoved mover. If ain't willing to do, then there is no purpose in discussing anything with you about the Living God of Israel, Father of His Son who became incarnate and who LIVED among us.

I offered my EXPERIENCE here, because I thought you were genuinely struggling with your question. Instead, you become flippant and turn to old, tired, and worn-out "reasoning".

If you want to open another thread which has nothing to do with Christianity and about "truth", I will PWN your "rational" approach, if you are willing to pay me to do it.

Discussing and testifying to the Gospel is one thing. Giving remedial lessons in thought and philosophy is another.

I don't throw pearls before swine, but I am sure willing to take them from them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:10:53 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 10:45:44 PM »

Idea mining from Hitchens are we? Wink

I was thinking the same thing as I just read the op.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »

Could you explain this further please? How does he exist in a certain sense in orthodoxy?

(Why am I even answering?)

He "exists" in the sense that He's there, but he "doesn't exist" in the sense that He transcends the ideas and limitations inherent in the word "exist" - i.e. we're acknowledging that the word "exist" is limited and imperfect in the context of describing God's "existence."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 11:22:46 PM »

The world had a Savior from the beginning.  The Word of God brought about all things, has sustained all things, gave the commandments and was in the burning bush and the pillar of fire, was the power of the Ark of the Covenant.   This same Savior, who was there from the beginning, became incarnate in the fullness of time.   Therefore, the world did not need to prepare for the Savior of the world, as it already had Him, without whom they could not live or move or have their being.   Rather, it was all part of the process of receiving Him, which the saints did of old, the culmination of which was His becoming what we are, that He might make us what He is. 
TryingtoConvert
Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »

If you want to know the Truth, then you should try living it for a while. You've blown off praxis suggested here.

If you want to hold a "rational" debate on the "existence" of God. Then you need to stick with Papist.

Maybe you will convert to believing in the unmoved mover. If ain't willing to do, then there is no purpose in discussing anything with you about the Living God of Israel, Father of His Son who became incarnate and who LIVED among us.

I offered my EXPERIENCE here, because I thought you were genuinely struggling with your question. Instead, you become flippant and turn to old, tired, and worn-out "reasoning".

If you want to open another thread which has nothing to do with Christianity and about "truth", I will PWN your "rational" approach, if you are willing to pay me to do it.

Discussing and testifying to the Gospel is one thing. Giving remedial lessons in thought and philosophy is another.

I don't throw pearls before swine, but I am sure willing to take them from them.
you still haven't answered any of my questions. jesus won't be happy for letting my soul go to hell when you had the EXPERIENCE and "truth" to save me!
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »

"Whoever does not receive you, nor heed your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet." —Jesus (Matthew 10:14)

No, Jesus isn't happy about it, but he recognizes that some people's hearts are so hard that they will not listen. He told the apostles to move on in those cases. Maybe the seeds that were planted will sprout someday, but there comes a time when there is nothing more we can do.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:17:50 PM by bogdan » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 02:17:44 AM »

Um, I believe the earth is 6 billion (youre off) and the universe is 14 billion years old, but I DO believe in God. God transcends time and space...

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 02:19:41 AM »

tryingtoconvert, you arent even trying to convert!

Forgive my sins.
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 03:14:04 PM »

Some of the atheists claim the opposite, that God should have waited and shown up during the modern day when cameras could confirm that He was here.  People are going to complain no matter what God decides to do.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »

you still haven't answered any of my questions. jesus won't be happy for letting my soul go to hell when you had the EXPERIENCE and "truth" to save me!

I wish you were not so flippant. It is such a sad thing to see a grown person thumbing his nose at God.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »

Um, I believe the earth is 6 billion (youre off) and the universe is 14 billion years old, but I DO believe in God. God transcends time and space...

4.3 to 4.5 billion sounds right to me...

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »

Just because we experience time in a linear fashion does not mean that is the only way to experience it. God and maybe the departed could experience time all at once, like standing inside a circle. Everything that has ever happened and everything that will happen are all contained in a single moment.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »

Some of the atheists claim the opposite, that God should have waited and shown up during the modern day when cameras could confirm that He was here.  People are going to complain no matter what God decides to do.

Perhaps it doesn't matter in the long-run and the eventual outcome would have been the same (or perhaps somehow even less desirable in God's plan).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:09:58 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: