OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 04:15:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting  (Read 1679 times) Average Rating: 0
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« on: February 27, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »

What will happen to the milk from the cows if we fast? Will we just throw it away? Someone will have to milk the cows even if we don't use milk ourselves.

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »

Wow!  Good point.

As my milk comes from the corner store, I never had to deal with that issue.  I never thought about the cow. 

However, not everyone fasts.  Give it to them.

Children certainly can have milk, as can the old and frail (per their priest's instruction).

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »

Make cheese for your Pascha basket!
And in the Northern hemisphere at least, Spring is calfing season- let the little ones drink their fill!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »

And let's not forget the cow babies!! They get first shot!  Wink

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »

Wow!  Good point.

As my milk comes from the corner store, I never had to deal with that issue.  I never thought about the cow. 

Children certainly can have milk, as can the old and frail (per their priest's instruction).

so give milk to other people instead of just being egoistic and talking all the milk. We who doesn't need milk should give it to the poor so our fast will become charity.

quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »

Wow!  Good point.

so give milk to other people instead of just being egoistic and talking all the milk. We who doesn't need milk should give it to the poor so our fast will become charity.

This is generally the rule - charity is generally a huge focus during fasting.  I thought you were joking with the way the question was framed.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »

Wow!  Good point.

This is generally the rule - charity is generally a huge focus during fasting.  I thought you were joking with the way the question was framed.
i'm not joking. i want to be a great oriental christian who fast and pray to God. but you can laugh if you like. 

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »

I think the reason some thought it was a joke was because here in the United States most people don't have their own cows.  We buy our milk in a grocery store.

Do you have your own cows?  If so, then giving the milk away would be a very charitable thing to do, and perfectly consistent with the spirituality of Lent.

henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »

I think the reason some thought it was a joke was because here in the United States most people don't have their own cows.  We buy our milk in a grocery store.

Do you have your own cows?  If so, then giving the milk away would be a very charitable thing to do, and perfectly consistent with the spirituality of Lent.
I don't have cows but you can give money to the poor or in other ways help them get their milk.
but the vegans say that it is better for cows to not live than to live bad lives at the farms so we shouldn't use milk at all. then we may stop killing of cows. is this what orthodox beleives?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »

Well, I don't think we believe that being a vegan is necessary; however, I do know we believe in the humane treatment of animals.  I think this was discussed somewhere here, but I can't recall where.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »

What will happen to the milk from the cows if we fast? Will we just throw it away? Someone will have to milk the cows even if we don't use milk ourselves.

The Jewish Tradition is to give away all foods not Kosher for the Passover to Non-Jewish neighbors or the needy.

We can do the same.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

I think that giving away the milk that you don't need is a good idea, especially during Lent, but I can understand how it would be difficult to distribute it to those in need. You might find a soup kitchen that is interested, or some needy families living in your area who would need the help this Lenten season.

My grandparents lived on a farm in Romania, where everyone fasted during Lent so they weren't able give the milk away. They just made lots of cheese and butter during the Spring with the extra milk that the calves didn't get  Smiley
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »

I think that giving away the milk that you don't need is a good idea, especially during Lent, but I can understand how it would be difficult to distribute it to those in need. You might find a soup kitchen that is interested, or some needy families living in your area who would need the help this Lenten season.

My grandparents lived on a farm in Romania, where everyone fasted during Lent so they weren't able give the milk away. They just made lots of cheese and butter during the Spring with the extra milk that the calves didn't get  Smiley

I was thinking of all the non-Lenten foods. Give away meat and candy etc... Spam is a nice gift for the neighbors,

Spam site: http://www.spam.com/recipes/default.aspx

Well.. I'm off to gorge on ribs till i make myself sick...... 

My everyone have a blessed and beneficial Fast.

Here we go !

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »

would be a big problem if all people in the world would fast. i have to get a spiritual father and ask him about it.

btw, when is orthodox great lent 2011? there seem to be different answers on the internet with different dates.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »

It starts on Monday, March 7.  In the Catholic Church, it starts on Wednesday, March 9.

PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »

would be a big problem if all people in the world would fast. i have to get a spiritual father and ask him about it.

That's an interesting thought. I'm not sure it could be a problem, the entire world believing in and serving God...sounds quite heavenly. If this were to happen, I'm sure God would help us take care of the milk problem  Wink
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »

It starts on Monday, March 7.  In the Catholic Church, it starts on Wednesday, March 9.
http://www.copticchurch.net/classes/coptic.holidays.php?year=2011&submit.x=21&submit.y=6
according to this website coptic great lent begins on February 28, 2011. ?
btw, the catholic church is made up of 23 churches and many of then follow the easter/oeriental calendar.

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 05:58:19 AM »

Yes, Great Lent has begun for those of us in the Coptic Orthodox Church.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 07:02:37 AM »

I don't know if it's ok to ask here, but what are the rules for Oriental Orthodox fasting?
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 07:05:40 AM »

In the Coptic Church the general rule is vegan diet and the fast not broken before 3pm. Many will fast until the evening depending on the counsel of one's spiritual father.

GregoryLA
Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »

In the Coptic Church the general rule is vegan diet and the fast not broken before 3pm. Many will fast until the evening depending on the counsel of one's spiritual father.

By fast you mean no food whatsoever?
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 07:16:07 AM »

Yes, the general rule is no food until 3pm or later.

That is a general rule of course.

His Holiness Pope Shenouda's book - The Spirituality of Fasting - is very helpful.

GregoryLA
Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »

Thank you for the information!
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »

You can read the book online here...

http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/fasting/index.html

and at other places.

It is very, very worthwhile to spend the time reading. It will take no more than a couple of hours at most.

Father Peter

Tags: Lent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: