OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:32:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 357179 times) Average Rating: 5
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3060 on: June 13, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

The Archaeology of Greece, by William R Biers
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3061 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:56 PM »

Again, my compliments on your choice.  This is one of the best systematic look at Greek art/architecture from the Bronze Age to the Hellenistic Era. Dr. Biers was also one of my professors in grad school.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3062 on: June 13, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »

Again, my compliments on your choice.  This is one of the best systematic look at Greek art/architecture from the Bronze Age to the Hellenistic Era. Dr. Biers was also one of my professors in grad school.

Mostly luck, especially with this second book, but I'm glad I happened on a good one! Hopefully that also means the bibliography will lead to further good choices Smiley
Severian
I love making people who hate me hate me even more
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #3063 on: June 13, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »

Actually, I just realized that I have to study like crazy over the summer for my standardized tests and I still have a ton of preparation to do for College. Then there's also vacation. My reading list just got a whole lot shorter... Lol.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:53:58 PM by Severian » Logged

Taking a temporary hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me as I will still be signing in on occasion. Please forgive me if my posts have lacked humility, charity, or tact.

NOTE: Some of my older posts (particularly those prior to late 2012) may not reflect my current views.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3064 on: June 13, 2013, 08:40:25 PM »

Actually, I just realized that I have to study like crazy over the summer for my standardized tests and I still have a ton of preparation to do for College. Then there's also vacation. My reading list just got a whole lot shorter... Lol.

Quitter! Wink

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3065 on: June 14, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »

Dresden Files - Cold Days
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:46:04 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #3066 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:03 PM »

^Nice. My summer reading is probably going to look something like this:

Quran
Sahih Al Bukhari (abridged)- Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan
501 Arabic Verbs- Raymond Scheindlin
Learn Arabic Language of the Qur'an- Dr. Izzath Uroosa
Media Arabic: A Coursebook for Reading Arabic News- Alaa Elgibali and Nevenka Korica
Introduction to Sahidic Coptic- Thomas Lambdin
So You Want To Learn Coptic- Sameh Younan
A Study in Bohairic Coptic- Nabil Mattar
Grammaire Copte- Alexander Mallon (translated into English)
College Latin
Wheelock's Latin Grammar
Familia Romana (with its "companion" book)

An American Childhood- Annie Dillard
On Writing Well- William Zinsser
In Cold Blood- Truman Capote
A Brief History of Time- Steven Hawking
Six Easy Pieces- Richard Feynman

But considering what a procrastinator I am (I am supposed to be finishing an essay as I type this), I'll be proud of myself if I finish even half of these books.
My modified list will probably look something like this:

An American Childhood (Summer reading, no notes)
On Writing Well (Summer reading, no notes)
In Cold Blood (Summer reading, no notes)
A Brief History of Time (Summer reading, but we only have to take notes on the first five chapters)
Six Easy Pieces (Summer reading, but it's not due until the second semester so I'll probably hold it off until then)
The CollegeBoard's Official SAT study guide
Cracking the SAT
Cracking the ACT

I am probably not going to read through the standardized test prep books cover to cover, but use them for practice.

===

Then for pleasure reading:

Memorize the 1500 most common Latin words (which make up about 85% of all written Latin)
Wheelock's Latin Grammar (I am going to try and fit in "Lingua Latina: Familia Romana" and the "College Latin" textbook I bought)
501 Arabic verbs (I am not going to read all of it, but refer to it often)
Learn Arabic Language of the Qur'an
Media Arabic: A Coursebook for Reading Arabic News
Quran (not all of it, just going to read excerpts as practice)
Sahih Al Bukhari (abridged, same rule as above applies)

I'm also going to try and squeeze in some Coptic and Patristic literature
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:41:00 PM by Severian » Logged

Taking a temporary hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me as I will still be signing in on occasion. Please forgive me if my posts have lacked humility, charity, or tact.

NOTE: Some of my older posts (particularly those prior to late 2012) may not reflect my current views.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3067 on: June 14, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »

Memorize the 1500 most common Latin words (which make up about 85% of all written Latin)
Wheelock's Latin Grammar

How far along are you in Latin?
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #3068 on: June 14, 2013, 11:44:50 PM »

Wheelock's Latin Grammar

Honestly, I haven't really started yet. I still need to study for my final exams. Once the school year is over I hope I will be able to focus more on topics that actually interest me. I honestly don't care which chamber of the heart has the thickest wall.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:48:13 PM by Severian » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3069 on: June 14, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »

Good luck!  Smiley  Do we have a Latin section here? Or is it just romance or something...
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #3070 on: June 15, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »

Why would you study for standardized tests when you get A's in subjects you consider to be your weak points?

And forget about "preparing for college." It is nonsense.

If you want to be smarter or improve your opportunities for the future, why not just use your free time to educate yourself and do things that will gain you valuable experience?

I'll restrain myself from commenting of vacations, lest I look like too much of a meddling jerk.

--Coming from someone who went through all this not that long ago.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3071 on: June 15, 2013, 07:27:41 PM »

Why would you study for standardized tests when you get A's in subjects you consider to be your weak points?

If you want to be smarter or improve your opportunities for the future, why not just use your free time to educate yourself and do things that will gain you valuable experience?

I'll restrain myself from commenting of vacations, lest I look like too much of a meddling jerk.

Do you want the password to my account?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #3072 on: June 15, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »

Because the material they teach us in school and the material the SAT and ACT test us on are very different (talk about foolishness, I know). That, on top of the fact that my GPA isn't exactly fantastic right now so I need good test scores to set me apart from the crowd.

I still think I should at least visit a few campuses before I decide where I am going to be educated for the next four years.

Because they probably aren't going to get me any good jobs in the future. Learning Arabic, Coptic, Latin, and even Ancient Greek seems great and all, but I don't think that's going to make me any money.

I am not the one who decides whether or not the family goes on vacation. If I were, we wouldn't. Therefore, your restraint is in good taste.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:10:08 PM by Severian » Logged

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3073 on: June 16, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »

Because the material they teach us in school and the material the SAT and ACT test us on are very different (talk about foolishness, I know). That, on top of the fact that my GPA isn't exactly fantastic right now so I need good test scores to set me apart from the crowd.

I still think I should at least visit a few campuses before I decide where I am going to be educated for the next four years.

Because they probably aren't going to get me any good jobs in the future. Learning Arabic, Coptic, Latin, and even Ancient Greek seems great and all, but I don't think that's going to make me any money.

I am not the one who decides whether or not the family goes on vacation. If I were, we wouldn't. Therefore, your restraint is in good taste.

SAT scores will not make you money.

Universities (and employers) would much rather take someone who can speak five languages (even dead ones) than someone with high SAT scores, which you will have anyway, because the test material is pretty basic.

Foregoing useful knowledge and skills to become marginally better at routine math problems is not a good long-term decision. Don't trust Greek? There's still plenty of other good stuff you can occupy your time with.

And make friends with older people who work in fields that interest you. It will pay off.

SAT scores do make a brief, flickering difference, but it's not worth killing yourself over them, and if you are smart, you can do great with minimal preparation.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3074 on: June 16, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »

Wheelock's Latin Grammar

Honestly, I haven't really started yet. I still need to study for my final exams. Once the school year is over I hope I will be able to focus more on topics that actually interest me. I honestly don't care which chamber of the heart has the thickest wall.

Why Latin?

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3075 on: June 16, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »

Why Latin?

I'm pretty sure all the major theological thinkers in Orthodoxy wrote in Latin... St. Augustine, St. Aquinas, St. Anselm, St. Cicero...
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3076 on: June 16, 2013, 07:43:20 PM »

Do you want the password to my account?

Nah, I need you as my set-up man!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3077 on: June 17, 2013, 01:38:47 AM »

Tao Te Ching
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3078 on: June 17, 2013, 01:42:45 AM »

The Orthodox Way.

Been sitting on my shelf for awhile and I never read it.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3079 on: June 17, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »

Why Latin?

I'm pretty sure all the major theological thinkers in Orthodoxy wrote in Latin... St. Augustine, St. Aquinas, St. Anselm, St. Cicero...

What about St. John Cassian, St. Hilary of Poitiers, St. Irenaios, St. Pope Gregory I, the Venerable Bede, Adam Zernikoff, st. Columba, St. Cyprian, St. Jerome, St. Ambrose, Cassiodorus, Boethius?  Now they may not be heavyweights like Sts. Basil or Chrysostom as far as their immediate input into Orthodox theology, but important contributors nonetheless.  Latin is NOT the enemy.  Besides, even great modern Orthodox theologians knew Latin including Florovsky and Meyendorff.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3080 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »

What about St. John Cassian, St. Hilary of Poitiers, St. Irenaios, St. Pope Gregory I, the Venerable Bede, Adam Zernikoff, st. Columba, St. Cyprian, St. Jerome, St. Ambrose, Cassiodorus, Boethius?  Now they may not be heavyweights like Sts. Basil or Chrysostom as far as their immediate input into Orthodox theology, but important contributors nonetheless.  Latin is NOT the enemy.  Besides, even great modern Orthodox theologians knew Latin including Florovsky and Meyendorff.

It's not that I hate Latin. If I'd hate it I wouldn't study it. But to call Boethius a major theological writer is quite a stretch. Those few theological tractates he wrote didn't have much of an impact even in the west and up to quite recently their authorship was put into question. St. Irenaeus origally wrote in Greek.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:30:56 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #3081 on: June 17, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »

Wheelock's Latin Grammar

Why Latin?
1) I enjoy ancient world literature and I want to be able to read the works of the Latin authors in the original language
2) Part of my interest was sparked when I read Dante's Inferno for my honors world literature class last semester
3) Latin grammar and vocabulary has had a profound influence on English grammar and vocabulary
4) A lot of Medical terminology derives from Latin, which may come in handy if I decide to go into medicine
5) It is easier than ancient Greek
6) Because I also plan on learning Coptic, I feel as if a good background in these two languages will be of use to me when I move on to Greek later on

I would also like to thank Rufus for his advice. I will respond to you later in more detail (God willing).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:07:57 PM by Severian » Logged

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #3082 on: June 17, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »

What about St. John Cassian?

Panayiotis Tzamalikos, professor of the University of Thessaloniki, recently published two books on the subject:

A Newly Discovered Greek Father - Cassian the Sabaite eclipsed by John Cassian of Marseilles

This is a critical edition of texts of Codex 573 (ninth century, Monastery of Metamorphosis, Meteora, Greece), which are published along with the monograph identifying The Real Cassian, in the same series. They cast light on Cassian the Sabaite, a sixth century highly erudite intellectual, whom Medieval forgery replaced with John Cassian. The texts are of high philological, theological, and philosophical value, heavily pregnant with notions characteristic of eminent Greek Fathers, especially Gregory of Nyssa. They are couched in a distinctly technical Greek language, which has a meaningful record in Eastern patrimony, but mostly makes no sense in Latin, which is impossible to have been their original language. The Latin texts currently attributed to John Cassian, the Scythian of Marseilles, are heavily interpolated translations of this Greek original by Cassian the Sabaite, native of Scythopolis.

The Real Cassian Revisited - Monastic Life, Greek Paideia, and Origenism in the Sixth Century

This is a critical analysis of texts included in Codex 573 (ninth century, Monastery of Metamorphosis, Meteora, Greece), which are published along with the present volume, in the same series. The Codex, entitled ‘The Book of Monk Cassian the Roman’, reveals a sixth-century heretofore unknown intellectual, namely, Cassian the Sabaite, native of Scythopolis, being its real author. By means of Medieval forgery, he has been eclipsed by a figment currently known as ‘John Cassian of Marseilles’, native of Scythia. Exploration reveals critical aspects of the interplay between Hellenism and Christianity, the Origenism and pseudo-Origenism of the sixth century, and Christian influence upon Neoplatonism in Late Antiquity. Cassian the Sabaite is probably the last great representative of a prolonged fruitful autumn of Late Antique Christian scholarship, who saw Hellenism as a treasured patrimony to draw on, rather than as a demon to be exorcised -which resulted in his ‘second death’ (Rev. 2,11).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:17:43 PM by Romaios » Logged
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3083 on: June 17, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »

It's not that I hate Latin. If I'd hate it I wouldn't study it. But to call Boethius a major theological writer is quite a stretch. Those few theological tractates he wrote didn't have much of an impact even in the west and up to quite recently their authorship was put into question. St. Irenaeus origally wrote in Greek.

Boethius' tracts may not be actually his, I will grant, but if you read what I wrote (and you didn't carefully), you'll see that I never considered any of the guys I listed to be the major heavyweights in Orthodox theology as others, but they did contribute.  I'll have to find a paper I wrote once on Boethius' writings' impact on 6th century theological issues (it's on an old 3 1/2" disc). 

As for Irenaios, I don't know why I listed him.  However, since he was serving as Bishop of Lyons, he probably spoke Latin and wrote in it too.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #3084 on: June 17, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »

As for Irenaios, I don't know why I listed him.  However, since he was serving as Bishop of Lyons, he probably spoke Latin and wrote in it too.

You will not expect from me, who am resident among the Keltæ, and am accustomed for the most part to use a barbarous dialect, any display of rhetoric, which I have never learned, or any excellence of composition, which I have never practised, or any beauty and persuasiveness of style, to which I make no pretensions.

St. Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Book I, Preface
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3085 on: June 17, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »

It could refer to a Celtic language. What makes you so sure it is Latin?

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #3086 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »

It could refer to a Celtic language. What makes you so sure it is Latin?

He could have been familiar with the Celtic dialect of Galatia from Asia Minor. St. Jerome said that (some of) the Celts of Gaul and those of Galatia spoke a similar language in his day. Anyway, the first Christians in Lyon must have been Greek-speaking merchants and slaves.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:47:13 PM by Romaios » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3087 on: June 17, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »

I have no problem with Latin. Did my joke come across wrong?  police
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3088 on: June 17, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »

Guy's gotta eat.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3089 on: June 17, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »

Let me put it this way: Don't quit your day job.   Wink

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3090 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »

Let me put it this way: Don't quit your day job.   Wink

STACK OVERFLOW

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3091 on: June 22, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

I've just finished Confessions of a Pagan Nun, by Kate Horsley. Beautiful, poetically understated, and so incredibly sad.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3092 on: June 23, 2013, 05:05:37 AM »

3) Latin grammar and vocabulary has had a profound influence on English grammar and vocabulary

Only to the degree you let 19th century school marms allow it to do so.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3093 on: June 25, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »

Dresden Files - Cold Days

Oh joy!  I forgot there was one out after Ghost Story!  I am just finishing up Turn Coat and will get the short stories from between Small Favours and Changes read before going on from there.  Unfortunately, even with Cold Days I think I will finish before he gets another on written.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3094 on: June 25, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »

I think the next one will be out in August December. Wink

I've just completed another 50 Book Challenge. 62 books in a year isn't my best score ever, but it's not a race. Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:42:49 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #3095 on: June 27, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »

Books I'm reading now:
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis
Orthodox Readings of Aquinas by Marcus Plested

Up next:
The Servile State by Hillaire Belloc
Islam and Revolution by Ayatollah Khomeini

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #3096 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »

Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion - David Hume

Writing an essay on it this weekend.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #3097 on: June 27, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »

Orthodox Readings of Aquinas

Just looked this up on Amazon. Very expensive. I'll have to find a used copy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #3098 on: June 28, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »

Currently:

On Writing Well-  William Zinsser
Nickel and Dimed- Barbara Ehrenreich
A Brief History of Time- Steven Hawking
The Brothers Karamazov- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Edit: I am also rereading and taking notes on "On the Incarnation" by St. Athanasius for a project my Priest assigned me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:50:58 AM by Severian » Logged

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #3099 on: June 28, 2013, 12:30:30 AM »

Orthodox Readings of Aquinas

Just looked this up on Amazon. Very expensive. I'll have to find a used copy.

I sure can't afford it. That's where inter-library loans come in handy. Its a fantastic book.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:30:48 AM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3100 on: July 01, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »

Basic Writings, by Martin Heidegger
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #3101 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »

The Silmarillion.
Twenty Nine

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #3102 on: July 01, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »

Dogmatics in Outline - Karl Barth

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #3103 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »

The Comforter by Fr. Sergius Bulgakov.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3104 on: July 01, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »

The Monastic Journey by Thomas Merton

The Inner Kingdom by Met. Kallistos Ware
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: