OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 04:41:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 382066 times) Average Rating: 5
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2925 on: April 18, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

Can you one page it for us? I know you can, but will you? Sounds interesting, but I am not going to read it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
DuxI

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Macedonian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2926 on: April 18, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »

Burning daylight - Jack London.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2927 on: April 19, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »

Order of the Liturgy in native tongue from a priest of the Constaninople patriarchate.
Translated by: Father Johannes Johansen.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2928 on: April 19, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »

Can you one page it for us? I know you can, but will you? Sounds interesting, but I am not going to read it.

The correspondence between Khomiakov and Palmer on Orthodoxy and the problems the latter had with it. Most, if not all, of the Khomiakov-quotes Abp. Kallistos Ware uses in his books come from this little work. "All Protestants are Crypto-Papists" for example.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2929 on: April 21, 2013, 03:41:15 AM »

Faust by Guethe

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2930 on: April 21, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »

I was thinking about reading A History of Dispensationalism, but I'm not sure if I'll be around long enough to see how it ends.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2931 on: April 22, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »

The Lamb of God, by Fr. Sergius Bulgakov

"This book is quite simply the most remarkable and impressive work of Christology produced in the twentieth century..." --David Bentley Hart

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
leap of faith

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #2932 on: April 23, 2013, 12:43:26 AM »

I was thinking about reading A History of Dispensationalism, but I'm not sure if I'll be around long enough to see how it ends.

Selam

+1  (I like how you assume that you won't be "left behind."  Grin )
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2933 on: April 23, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »

Aristotle's Physics

A much easier read than his Metaphyiscs. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2934 on: April 26, 2013, 06:34:40 AM »

"Raids On The Unspeakable" by Thomas Merton

Dorothy Day: Selected Writings

The words of Thomas Merton and Dorothy Day are nectar for my soul. I got these books in the mail today and I've been soaking them up. Merton's elegy of Flannery O'Connor is worth it alone.

Selam

DuxI

« Reply #2935 on: April 29, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »

"Patristic Theology" by Protopresbyter John Romanides
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:45:15 AM by DuxI » Logged
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2936 on: April 30, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »

Just bought it:

Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism Is the Solution and Not the Problem
http://www.amazon.com/Money-Greed-God-Capitalism-ebook/dp/B0027KRRKW/ref=tmm_kin_title_0#_

In Money, Greed, and God, Jay Richards argues against the current dualistic view Christianity has cast on capitalism—all good or all evil—and reveals the surprising ways that capitalism is actually the best way to follow Jesus’s mandates to alleviate poverty and protect our earth.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #2937 on: April 30, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »

Almost done with Father Brown, and I can hardly wait to get started on Celtic Inspirations, by Lyn Webster Wilde. The most jaw-droppingly beautiful book I've got my hands on in a long time.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #2938 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

The Hexaemeron - St. Basil the Great

As found in NPNF Series 2, Volume 8
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #2939 on: April 30, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »

I just finished Communist Manifesto by: Karl Marx (No, I'm not a Communist).

I'm starting to read Og Mandino's The Greatest Salesman in the World, it's alright.

I've been going into shorter books and pamphlets recently, maybe after this I'll read War and Peace again or something.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #2940 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:09 AM »

Just bought it:

http://www.amazon.com/Money-Greed-God-Capitalism-ebook/dp/B0027KRRKW/ref=tmm_kin_title_0#_

In Money, Greed, and God, Jay Richards argues against the current dualistic view Christianity has cast on capitalism—all good or all evil—and reveals the surprising ways that capitalism is actually the best way to follow Jesus’s mandates to alleviate poverty and protect our earth.
Capitalism has a lot going for it, but I am concerned about the weapons lobbyists and other capitalists who profit from war. Does the profit motive act as a push for the USA to get involved in these wars which never seem to end? What good came out of the war in Vietnam or the war in Iraq? Yesterday there was an article in the NY times about the CIA leaving bags of cash at the office of Karzai. Who will profit from the future exploitation of the mineral resources in Afghanistan?
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/asia/afghanistan/article3752191.ece
http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/29/cia-dumps-bags-of-cash-on-corrupt-hamid
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2941 on: May 01, 2013, 12:42:27 AM »

Just bought it:

I'll write a book where I'm gonna argue that sleeping around is the best way to fulfill Jesus mandates on chastity. Hope you'll write me a check.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2942 on: May 02, 2013, 08:10:43 AM »

The Parmenides and the Theaetetus by Plato and the Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church by St. Peter Moghila

-Samuel Coleridge
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #2943 on: May 02, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »

All the malladies of "capitalism" that most people criticize comes from market and government working together. Officializing this cohabitation with a marriage would just make things worse in my opinion.

Separation of state and market is the answer. Now, to give all the powers of state to the guys with the big money or all the control of the big money to the state? They are basically the same thing *and* the solution anti-capitalists seem to think is morally correct. Capitalism and/or classical liberalism = separation of market and state, which follows in the grand tradition of separation of powers, subsidiarity of governance, separation of state and government, split of large concentrated goverment into federated local smaller governments, separation of emperor and bishop, of goverment and the military, of state and the people and so on. The key is to not let any single group to centralize too much power or to have too much control, which allows for checks and balances. The progress of social governance is, again in my opinion, the progress of descentralization of powers of all kinds: military, economic, political, cultural, scientific, religious.

Just bought it:

Capitalism has a lot going for it, but I am concerned about the weapons lobbyists and other capitalists who profit from war. Does the profit motive act as a push for the USA to get involved in these wars which never seem to end? What good came out of the war in Vietnam or the war in Iraq? Yesterday there was an article in the NY times about the CIA leaving bags of cash at the office of Karzai. Who will profit from the future exploitation of the mineral resources in Afghanistan?
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/asia/afghanistan/article3752191.ece
http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/29/cia-dumps-bags-of-cash-on-corrupt-hamid
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:09:15 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #2944 on: May 02, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »

Too much hate in your heart. Smiley

Just bought it:

I'll write a book where I'm gonna argue that sleeping around is the best way to fulfill Jesus mandates on chastity. Hope you'll write me a check.

Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #2945 on: May 02, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »

The Parmenides and the Theaetetus by Plato and the Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church by St. Peter Moghila

Good luck. Stimulants won't help.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2946 on: May 02, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »

Too much hate in your heart. Smiley

Just bought it:

You can say I'm an a&$@ or a d&$$!'l. I don't care. But to your armchair spiritual direction I can only add adjectives not allowed on this forum. Feel free to add them for me.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2947 on: May 02, 2013, 10:26:31 AM »

Just finished Everyday Saints by Archimandrite Tikhon.  Wonderful book.

Now I'm reading On the Prayer of Jesus by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2948 on: May 05, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »

Wow! That's cool because I just started reading "Everyday Saints." And I have the CD version of "On the Prayer of Jesus" which I have listened to many times.  Smiley

Christ is Risen brother!

Selam

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2949 on: May 05, 2013, 07:45:30 AM »

Now that Father Brown is over, I'm dipping into some children's books. I still have a couple of World Book Day specials I haven't read yet, and with the young one unwell, there is always more storytime, be it Mr Men or Funnybones.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2950 on: May 05, 2013, 08:18:10 AM »

the Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church by St. Peter Moghila

Please let us know your thoughts on it once you've finished it.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2951 on: May 05, 2013, 04:29:53 PM »

the Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church by St. Peter Moghila

It was pretty good. At times it is influenced by Latin theology (especially on original sin) but the rest is good. Not for those who don't like systematic theology, though.

-Samuel Coleridge
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #2952 on: May 05, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »

'Cracked, why psychiatry is doing more harm than good', by James Davies (Kindle edition) An eye opening account of how the psychiatric profession determines 'Psychiatric conditions' and the poor science behind much of this and things might want to know about the efficacy or otherwise of drugs used to trap treat these conditions.
DuxI

« Reply #2953 on: May 05, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »

Princess - Jean Sasson.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2954 on: May 06, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »

It was pretty good. At times it is influenced by Latin theology (especially on original sin) but the rest is good. Not for those who don't like systematic theology, though.

I don't think I've ever seen such a posive review of that book. I see you've yet to learn much about Orthodoxy until you can be chrismated baptized. Perhaps you can start by practicing angry face in front of a mirror. If that feels hard, try thinking some abominations like pews or beardless men.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2955 on: May 06, 2013, 11:31:20 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen such a posive review of that book. I see you've yet to learn much about Orthodoxy until you can be chrismated baptized. Perhaps you can start by practicing angry face in front of a mirror. If that feels hard, try thinking some abominations like pews or beardless men.

Smiley

Alright then...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:31:34 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2956 on: May 06, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »

Wow! That's cool because I just started reading "Everyday Saints." And I have the CD version of "On the Prayer of Jesus" which I have listened to many times.  Smiley

Christ is Risen brother!

Selam

Indeed, He is Risen!  Let me know what you think of Everyday Saints.  And since listening to On the Prayer of Jesus, have you been able to concentrate on the Jesus Prayer more?  In other words, did it help?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2957 on: May 06, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »

Why do some Orthodox Churches have pews if they are an abomination? An abomination is something that leads one to eternal damnation in hell.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #2958 on: May 07, 2013, 12:13:16 AM »

Why do some Orthodox Churches have pews if they are an abomination? An abomination is something that leads one to eternal damnation in hell.

Some people have such poor sense for irony...
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2959 on: May 07, 2013, 04:54:21 AM »

St. Basil the Great - For the Young on How They Might Derive Profit from Hellenic Literature
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:54:28 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2960 on: May 07, 2013, 05:41:04 AM »

An abomination is something that leads one to eternal damnation in hell.

[hyperdox] And what did you think pews do? [/hyperdox]

-Samuel Coleridge
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2961 on: May 07, 2013, 05:48:16 AM »

Pews enable one to sit down.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #2962 on: May 07, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »

True, but they hinder movement, prostrations and are alien, rather like that other abomination the organ, surely?
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2963 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:50 AM »

But uncomfortably so. Anathema to uncomfortable seating.

-Samuel Coleridge
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2964 on: May 07, 2013, 06:13:33 AM »

True, but they hinder movement, prostrations and are alien, rather like that other abomination the organ, surely?
You have an argument with some of your Orthodox Churches which have both pews and organs. I asked the wife of the priest at the local Orthodox Church as to why they use the organ in Church and she said that it was only to insure that people were singing on the correct key.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2965 on: May 07, 2013, 08:03:52 AM »

Eh. When a church is 'inherited', ripping out the pews (and replacing them with chairs and stasidia) and organ can be too much of a bother and/or expense.

OT: Deciphering the libretto of Il Trovatore. My Italian sure is rusty. Undecided

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2966 on: May 07, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »

OT: Deciphering the libretto of Il Trovatore. My Italian sure is rusty. Undecided

Verdi is good. Puccini is better, though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:52:38 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2967 on: May 07, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »

Verdi is good. Puccini is better, though;.

My mother-in-law would cry anathema. Wink

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2968 on: May 07, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »

Verdi is good. Puccini is better, though;.

My mother-in-law would cry anathema. Wink

Anathematising the truth is tricky business  Smiley

-Samuel Coleridge
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2969 on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »

Plutarch - On the Malice of Herodotus.

-Samuel Coleridge
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: