OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 04:25:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 389370 times) Average Rating: 5
Philokalia
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat

Faith: Roman Catholic

Hail Mary Full of Grace

« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2005, 05:13:22 PM »

I am reading "And Quiet Flows the Don" by Mikhail Sholokhov. Re-reading I should say since I vaguely recall reading it about quarter of a century ago.

I'm also re-reading The Explanation by the Blessed Theophylact of the Holy Gospel according to St Matthew

Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2005, 07:14:08 AM »

I have postponed my reading of A Way of the Pilgrim and The First-Created Man until school ends but currently, I am reading a chapter a day of the book of Exodus.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2005, 01:22:40 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Gospel of John, St. Ephrem's "Hymns on Paradise", "Jesus in Egypt"
copticorthodoxboy
Sir Sundae

« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2005, 01:31:33 PM »

The Way of the Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way, The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Silmarillion, The New Testament and the People of God by N.T. Wright, On the Eight Vices by St. John Cassian, On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius, He is there and He is Not Silent by Francis Schaeffer, and After Virtue by Alasdair MacIntyre.

That's my summer reading.

--Chuck

Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain:

"Let us not expect the spiritual spring if we don't first pass through the spiritual winter during which the spiritual vermin die.  We mustn't expect the divine to blossom within us if the human hasn't first died."
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2005, 02:48:02 PM »

Chuck - i like a lot of your summer reading! Smiley

lessee, i am currently reading...essays by Emerson for my American Lit class, the letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (a few per night), The Church of the Ancient Councils by Archbishop Peter L'Huillier, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (in my rereading of the series in anticipation of the 6th book coming out in july). Grin summer is a happy time, since i have time to do my own reading again.

hmmmm...
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2005, 03:50:11 PM »

Just begun J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2005, 07:00:43 PM »

plugging my way thru Fr. Seraphim Rose's "Soul After Death".....

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2005, 07:49:04 PM »

Metr. ANTHONY (Bloom)'s Beginning to Pray (again)
Desire of the Everlasting Hills by Thomas Cahill

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Sir Sundae

« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2005, 11:15:03 PM »

i see we have a number of Tolkien fans on the forum.  Grin

"Let us not expect the spiritual spring if we don't first pass through the spiritual winter during which the spiritual vermin die.  We mustn't expect the divine to blossom within us if the human hasn't first died."
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2005, 12:19:23 AM »

To Romans
 ch. IX

Lord have mercy.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2005, 04:23:19 AM »

plugging my way thru Fr. Seraphim Rose's "Soul After Death".....

Try not to let it scare you.
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2005, 10:55:27 AM »

The Way of the Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way, The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Silmarillion, The New Testament and the People of God by N.T. Wright, On the Eight Vices by St. John Cassian, On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius, He is there and He is Not Silent by Francis Schaeffer, and After Virtue by Alasdair MacIntyre.

So that's where my library has been disappearing to!  Give those back! Smiley

Anyway, I'm rereading The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way, and then it's probably St. Ephraim's Hymns on Paradise, followed by St. Theophan the Recluse's Turning the Heart to God (it's an excerpt from The Way of Salvation).  Should keep me busy for the rest of the summer.

-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2005, 02:07:32 PM »

Common Ground by Jordan Bajis and (still wading my way through) Jesus and the Victory of God by NT Wright.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
beewolf

In Thy Light we see Light

« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2005, 11:21:33 PM »

I am reading Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov (bedtime reading), Cassian's Institutes, and Simon Chan's 'Spiritual Theology'.

Gospodi pomiluy
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2005, 12:29:35 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

I'm new to this site, but i've heard quite a bit about it.  I figured that this would probably be the best place to put my first post  Grin.

As of right now, i'm actually re-reading J.N.D. Kelley's book Early Christian Doctrines.  It is really good, but i think i may have gotten in over my head. lol.  I was looking for an introductory book on Patristics and a friend of mine has suggested this one.  If any of you know of any other, feel free to let me know.

Pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
ephraim

OC.net

« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2005, 08:18:04 PM »

I'm reading the Old Testament:  Paul Nadim Tarazi's Introduction to the Old Testament, Walter Brueggemann's Introduction to the Old Testament, and a couple of different translations of the Old Testament (NRSV, Fox' Five Books of Moses).  I'll add in other things as I work my way through it.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2005, 01:38:05 PM »

As of right now, i'm actually re-reading J.N.D. Kelley's book Early Christian Doctrines.ÂÂ  It is really good, but i think i may have gotten in over my head. lol.ÂÂ  
That is a good book.  I've recently re-read several chapters in that book regarding the development of Trinitarian dogma and Christology.

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2005, 02:47:22 PM »

Harry Potter 5, again...boning upfor the release of #6!

though actually i need to find some spiritual reading, I've ben feeling out of whack as day to day life has been overshadowing what good my spiritual life has been doing...i have as yet to get the two totally in synch.
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2005, 03:27:38 PM »

Harry Potter 5, again...boning upfor the release of #6!

AW YEA! i just finished that a few nights ago, lost sleep because of it Grin spent the last month doing my rereading of the whole series in anticipation of #6...i....can't....wait Smiley

hmmmm...
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2005, 03:28:13 PM »

now im reading the Princess Bride for the 1st time (and i've never seen the movie either - plan to soon tho)

hmmmm...
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2005, 12:29:58 AM »

Fatherhood: An Anthology, Edited by John Lewis-Stempel

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
SeanMc

« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2005, 12:37:29 AM »

The Annals of Imperial Rome, by Gaius Tacitus.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2005, 10:06:59 AM »

now im reading the Princess Bride for the 1st time (and i've never seen the movie either - plan to soon tho)

INCONCEIVABLE!!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2005, 10:07:40 AM »

Impatiently awaiting Amazon to send me "Resteraunt at the End of the Universe."  Pre-ordered Harry Potter 6, should be getting it the day it comes out (I hope anyway).  Haven't decided yet what my next religion-related book might be, though "Sword of the Prophet" (I think it's called) was highly recommended to me again a few days ago.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 10:08:08 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2005, 10:19:17 AM »

Fatherhood: An Anthology, Edited by John Lewis-Stempel

Pedro, you might be interested in this: Two of Us : The Story of a Father, a Son, and the Beatles by Peter Smith. I just read it and found it really interesting.

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2005, 12:45:10 PM »

INCONCEIVABLE!!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ebor

yes, i know, i know Smiley i get that from everyone who knows me and hears i havent read and/or seen Princess Bride...well, im almost done w/ the book, and soon after will be viewing the movie - will report back w/ my findings, even if you (Ebor) are the only one interested Wink

Donna Mary

hmmmm...
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2005, 04:26:21 PM »

Princess Bride is awesome... whenever we hear that someone hasn't seen it, we try to correct the situation as quickly as possible.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Girl
Search the unknown

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2005, 12:03:35 AM »

Currently....Jane Austen's Emma

After this I think I am going to go back to my favorite book of all time by Orson Scott Card...... Xenocide

"Go out and make disciples of all nations" (Mathew 28:19)
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2005, 12:05:07 PM »

The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195102797/ref=pd_luc_21_lc_ax40_r1c2_a2_t/103-8147243-5626225?v=glance&s=books

Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195141830/ref=pd_ys_pym_all_8/103-8147243-5626225?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
jmell

OC.net

« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2005, 01:23:11 PM »

The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195102797/ref=pd_luc_21_lc_ax40_r1c2_a2_t/103-8147243-5626225?v=glance&s=books

Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195141830/ref=pd_ys_pym_all_8/103-8147243-5626225?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

I'm listened to the Lost Christianities Lecture, Right this second I'm listening to his commentery of the New Testament. It's in the Teaching Company series of lectures.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2005, 02:27:11 PM »

I'm listened to the Lost Christianities Lecture, Right this second I'm listening to his commentery of the New Testament. It's in the Teaching Company series of lectures.

Interesting, no?
jmell

OC.net

« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »

Interesting, no?

Very Interesting, his specialty is textual criticism and he goes into detail about the original manuscripts of the NT and how they were changed either by accident or to fit agendas. He also goes into the Epistles that have questionable authorship. (I can't remember which ones, but I remember him saying that most scholars are pretty sure Ephesians wasn't written by Paul). That the Gospel of John and Revelations are written by different people, and that some people think that The Acts of the Apostle was patched up from different sources. Also he points out the inconsistencies in the Epistles verses the Gospels and Acts and how this was due to people changing things.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »

The Fourth Crusade and the Sack of Constantinople, by Jonathan Phillips
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2005, 12:07:25 PM »

Very Interesting, his specialty is textual criticism and he goes into detail about the original manuscripts of the NT and how they were changed either by accident or to fit agendas. He also goes into the Epistles that have questionable authorship. (I can't remember which ones, but I remember him saying that most scholars are pretty sure Ephesians wasn't written by Paul). That the Gospel of John and Revelations are written by different people, and that some people think that The Acts of the Apostle was patched up from different sources. Also he points out the inconsistencies in the Epistles verses the Gospels and Acts and how this was due to people changing things.
I guess that all depends on what "scholars" you listen to.  Roll Eyes

Speaking of "agendas", it's perhaps more likely that the theories which suggest "political" tampering with the documents are themselves products of modernist/relativist agendas to reinvent "Christianity" in order to make it more pallitable for today's pluralistic society.  That way no one has to accountable to anything other than a "Christianity" of one's own imagination.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2005, 01:16:02 PM »

Well said.

And this is definately an area where we Orthodox could step it up in defense of our faith. There is some material out there, but I don't think that there is enough. Works like John Breck's book Scripture and Tradition: The Bible and its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church, for example, which attempts to demonstrate that the Gospel of John was all written by a single author, among other things, just doesn't come up on the radar of most people. It doesn't have the buzz of being an apologetic book, and it's given no marketing push (not that we push ANY book except those by a few select authors) so it isn't as widely read as it could be. Actually, I find Breck's use of the Chiasmus (his main argument) unconvincing, but that's the whole point: there should be a larger debate going on here within Orthodox and Orthodox/Other Christian contexts, not just a book or two published every few years which tries to dispute the volumous output of liberal scholars.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2005, 03:32:53 PM »

"The Eucharist" by Alexander Schemmann
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 03:36:57 PM by Ian Lazarus » Logged

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2005, 06:18:50 AM »

Though I had to work yesterday (blah) I did make it to Barnes and Noble about 10 minutes before they closed. I did a quick browse of the religion section and was suprised to see John Noonan's name pop out at me. Apparently he has a new book out, titled A Church That Can and Cannot Change: The Development of Catholic Moral Teaching. It goes over how moral beliefs have changed in the Catholic Church, focusing mainly on slavery, but also going into usury, divorce, and a couple other issues. To be quite honest I wasn't sure that I wanted to get it (I know from his book on Contraception that he is a bit too liberal for my own tastes; not to mention dry reading at times), but a blurb by Jaroslav Pelikan on the back cover praising the book pushed my curiosity far enough to buy it. That might have been the first time that a commendation on the back cover got me to buy a book. Anyway, I'll be starting it today after I finish Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense by David Guterson, a philosophical book on homeschooling written by a somewhat liberal ("progressive") libertarian.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 06:21:06 AM by Paradosis » Logged
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2005, 07:26:13 AM »

Hebrews capter VI... and what a read is. (first time I am reading the NT with Patristic Commentary from OSB and ONT). It is so amazing. I never could've even imagined what one can find reading the NT through the "eyes of the fathers". I just love it. It is like a really really cool tv series. You can never wait for a new episode (chapter). It is so great.... Ah, well... back to Hebrews.

Lord have mercy.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2005, 01:11:45 PM »

What Saint Paul Really Said, by NT Wright.  I'll review it when I'm done.  It seems to give refreshingly accurate, but rather UnReformed view on Pauline thought.

Sir Sundae

« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2005, 02:28:29 PM »

What Saint Paul Really Said, by NT Wright. I'll review it when I'm done. It seems to give refreshingly accurate, but rather UnReformed view on Pauline thought.
I'll be looking forward to your review! It's on my list for this summer.

Also, the view Wright takes on Paul is causing a bit of controversy within the Reformed Protestant community. Coined "the New Perspective on Paul," it challenges traditional Reformed beliefs about the nature of righteousness, justification and of the Church. It's pretty easy to see, then, why it would cause stir within protestantism.

--Chuck

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2005, 08:03:57 PM »

Sex and Society in the World of the Orthodox Slavs, 900-1700 by Eve Levin. Much like Noonan's book on Contraception, this one seems to be often-quoted and little-read by Catholic apologists.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2005, 10:28:58 PM »

Gonna start reading History of Eastern Christianity by Aziz S. Atiya.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2005, 10:06:10 AM »

What Saint Paul Really Said, by NT Wright.ÂÂ  I'll review it when I'm done.ÂÂ  It seems to give refreshingly accurate, but rather UnReformed view on Pauline thought.

I'm reading this, but for a very tiny little book, I'm finding it slow going (hard, not dull).
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2005, 11:32:48 AM »

Finally starting on Harry Potter 6... :-D

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2005, 12:32:47 PM »

Finally starting on Harry Potter 6... :-D

aww yea Smiley let us know when you finish in the rather slow HP VI thread Smiley

hmmmm...
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: