OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 12:06:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 375396 times) Average Rating: 5
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #2700 on: November 21, 2012, 09:08:25 AM »

Our priest gave me a book yesterday 'The Saint of the Prisons' about Valeriu Gafencu, who was imprisoned under the Communists in Aiud and then Pitești (famous for the brainwashing experiments) before eventually dying in Târgu Ocna. I've only read the first couple of chapters so far but it's very interesting, particularly because it contains extracts from his own letters as well as testimonies from those who knew him in prison.

James

I read the Romanian version and I think it's quite good.

I'm currently reading How can we become better by Fr Teofil Paraian

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2701 on: November 21, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »

Our priest gave me a book yesterday 'The Saint of the Prisons' about Valeriu Gafencu, who was imprisoned under the Communists in Aiud and then Pitești (famous for the brainwashing experiments) before eventually dying in Târgu Ocna. I've only read the first couple of chapters so far but it's very interesting, particularly because it contains extracts from his own letters as well as testimonies from those who knew him in prison.

James

I read the Romanian version and I think it's quite good.

I'm currently reading How can we become better by Fr Teofil Paraian

It is good. I don't have the time to read as much as I'd like nowadays (kids!) but I've almost finished it. It's also pretty much convinced me that Valeriu Gafencu is a saint, even if he hasn't actually been glorified yet.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2702 on: November 21, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »

The Way of Men by Jack Donovan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2703 on: November 21, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »

Just picked up A Game of Thrones again after a long hiatus.
I have actually never read that.

Great books, those. I read the first three almost 10 years ago. It's a shame that G.R.R.Martin takes about five years to write each new book in the series.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2704 on: November 21, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »

"I want you to see me naked and performing one or two dozen mad acts, which will take me less than half an hour, because if you have seen them with your own eyes, you can safely swear to any others you might wish to add." - Quijote

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #2705 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

Right now I'm working on the Book of Enoch... I don't hold it as inspired but it certainly is one of the most interesting books I've ever read, next I will start the Epistle of Barnabas

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2706 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:55 AM »

Almost at Part 2 of Don Quixote.

Boy I am a slow reader, yes?

Truthfully I wanted to play Halo this weekend with some people and I was waiting for another translation to come in the mail. So glad it was worth the wait, Dr. Lathrop has an awesome translation. Plenty of footnotes and extremely readable. Not quite the elegant prose Grossman tries so hard to reach on every sentence, but according to various sources this is more faithful, plus Lathrop is one of the preeminent Cerventine scholars.

It's getting to the point where I can hardly put down the book unless other things come up.

*SPOILER*
The scene between don Fernando, Luscinda, Cardenio and Dorotea meeting and reconcilling, man that was just perfect. It's amazing I care about these characters, but was so happy about this. Hope nothing bad happens...
*END SPOILER*

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2707 on: November 27, 2012, 01:24:05 AM »

this thread:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,3406.0.html

Proverbs 22:7
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #2708 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:08 AM »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/115019217/Jesus-the-Liberator-A-Historical-Theologica-Reading-of-Jesus-of-Nazareth

Archbishop Romero, helped in this by Ignacio Ellacuria, analyzed idolatry
with greater theological precision and historical illustration." For Romero too,
what makes idolatry possible lies in our capacity to absolutize what we have made,
but he does not begin with this; he begins with a dynamic basic assertion, at once
transcendental and historical: "idolatry offends God and destroys human beings,"12
the second statement being a verification of the first.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:35:04 AM by W.A.Mozart » Logged

completely new, especially not yet used
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2709 on: November 30, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »

The Book of Hosea.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2710 on: November 30, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »

A Hero of Our Time - Lermontov
The Way of Men - Jack Donovan
Sharpe's Triumph - Bernard Cornwell
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2711 on: November 30, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »

Freedom of Mind by Steve Hassan. I read his book Combatting Cult Mind Control several years ago when I was trying to help someone get out of a cult.  (the one many Hollywood actors are in.)

(Below excerpt from http://freedomofmind.com/Media/bookFreedom.php)

Individuals More Vulnerable than Ever

The Internet is now the primary vehicle for recruitment and indoctrination. It is also a means for spreading sophisticated information about social psychology, hypnosis, and other techniques of social control, which are being used—in ways both effective and dangerous—by ‘influence professionals.’ Meanwhile, people are becoming increasingly vulnerable. Sleep-deprived, overweight and looking to improve themselves, overloaded with often frightening images and information; anxious about the current economic decline, climate change, and government corruption on all levels. People are more susceptible than ever to charismatic figures who offer simple, black v. white, us v. them, good v. evil, formulaic solutions. These factors—the rise of the Internet; increasingly sophisticated knowledge about how to influence and manipulate others; and the growing vulnerabilities of people across the planet—make for a dangerous, potentially devastating combination.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2712 on: November 30, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »

Just ordered: Christianity - Lineaments of a Sacred Tradition, by Philip Sherrard.

Excited.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2713 on: November 30, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »

Still working on the The Plague by Camus and The Name of the Rose by Eco.  As I'm moving out of here my friends gave me yesterday Don Quijote as a farewell gift so I now I have third book to work on.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2714 on: November 30, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »

Freedom of Mind by Steve Hassan. I read his book Combatting Cult Mind Control several years ago when I was trying to help someone get out of a cult.  (the one many Hollywood actors are in.)

(Below excerpt from http://freedomofmind.com/Media/bookFreedom.php)

Individuals More Vulnerable than Ever

The Internet is now the primary vehicle for recruitment and indoctrination. It is also a means for spreading sophisticated information about social psychology, hypnosis, and other techniques of social control, which are being used—in ways both effective and dangerous—by ‘influence professionals.’ Meanwhile, people are becoming increasingly vulnerable. Sleep-deprived, overweight and looking to improve themselves, overloaded with often frightening images and information; anxious about the current economic decline, climate change, and government corruption on all levels. People are more susceptible than ever to charismatic figures who offer simple, black v. white, us v. them, good v. evil, formulaic solutions. These factors—the rise of the Internet; increasingly sophisticated knowledge about how to influence and manipulate others; and the growing vulnerabilities of people across the planet—make for a dangerous, potentially devastating combination.

People are just tribalizing again.  People thought that the internet would open us up into one world community, the goal of the globalists.  Human nature takes over once again, and people are now free to consort with like minded individuals as they have always done.  Us vs them is the basis of all human thought and the driving force in human nature.  I think this is ultimately a good thing.

But perhaps this is another conversation for another place in time.  Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss or we could start a new thread.  Very interesting subject.  I hope you enjoy the book!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2715 on: December 01, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »

Pavel Florensky's The Pillar and Ground of the Truth.
It's on my Christmas wishlist.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2716 on: December 01, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »

Just ordered: Christianity - Lineaments of a Sacred Tradition, by Philip Sherrard.

Excited.

Hope you enjoy it more than I enjoyed the book by him  angel

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2717 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:21 AM »

I've been reading some Raymond Williams as of late, a fantastic critic, eventhough he was a Marxist. I haven't gotten yet to where he comments on identity politics but read some stuff on cultural materialism.

I like this quote from him: "The human crisis is always a crisis of understanding: what we genuinely understand we can do."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:58:27 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #2718 on: December 03, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »

I'm reading "The Orthodox Eastern Church" by Adrian Fortescue.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2719 on: December 03, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »

Excited.

Did you already post your thoughts on Human Image: World Image? I'd be interested to read them.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2720 on: December 03, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »

Neato!

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2721 on: December 03, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »

The Didascalia Apostolorum
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2722 on: December 03, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »

I bet that's a lot of points in Scrabble. Smiley

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #2723 on: December 03, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:28:07 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #2724 on: December 03, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »

Neato!

It is a great work despite its RC bias. It is very informative and witty. I was almost dying of laughter when I read this passage:

"Mr. Skarlatos Byzantios has composed a very useful Greek- French lexicon. When he comes to the preposition ἐξ, one example of its use at once occurs to him, and he illustrates the fact that it takes the genitive by this sentence: "Τὸ ἂγιου Πνεῦμα ἐκπορεύεται ἐκ μόνου τοῦ Πατρός" which he proceeds to translate for the Western student by informing him, "le Saint-Esprit procede du Pere seul." (p. 373)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:37:25 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2725 on: December 03, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »

Lots of interesting stuff in there. The author suggests, for example, that the Lenten Fast (or at least our fasting on the day of Passover) is partly for the sake of the Jews. We fast and pray that God may turn them around from the disbelief that led them to crucify Christ on that day.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #2726 on: December 04, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »

The Key to Theosophy and Isis Unveiled by H. P. Blavatsky.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2727 on: December 04, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »

Did you already post your thoughts on Human Image: World Image? I'd be interested to read them.

I didn't post anything about it, but I'll try to go back through and collect some thoughts, probably this upcoming weekend.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2728 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »

Finished Sharpe's Triumph and am almost done with Sharpe's Fortress.

Started "War Before Civilization".  Pretty fascinating book.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2729 on: December 10, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »

I'm going to participate in a reading program at another site, but I'm not sure what to do. It's sort of like a new years resolution, only with books, and you get to choose how you want to set it up. For instance, you can read 1 book per week, or 1 book for each letter of the alphabet, or all the books by a particular author, etc.  Any thoughts on what I could do? I want something challenging and enjoyable, but which won't be too much considering I'll also have reading from full-time college work.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2730 on: December 10, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »

Excited.

I'd say that I am! I'm just over a third of the way through, and I've been underlining on nearly every page. Whether one agrees with all of his premises or not, it makes for fascinating reading. Highly recommendable.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2731 on: December 11, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »

Dude, are you becoming a theosophist?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #2732 on: December 11, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »

I'm reading the Iliad, Aeneid, Odyssey trilogy now. Just started with the Iliad.

labuntur anni"
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #2733 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:49 PM »

Dude, are you becoming a theosophist?
Yes, in the truest sense of the word. I have no intention, however, of becoming a member of the Society (which became nothing short of ridiculous following H.P.B.'s death). You can PM me if you want (so as not to derail the thread).

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2734 on: December 11, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »

It only counts if played in Latin and at the Scrabbelorum.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #2735 on: December 15, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »

Right now, I'm reading:
For the Life of the World by Fr. Alexander Schmemann
The Way of the Ascetics Tito Colliander
Glories of Czestochowa and Jasna Gora. A collection of miracles attributed to the Mother of God in Czestochowa, Poland.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2736 on: December 15, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »

It only counts if played in Latin and at the Scrabbelorum.

Academia's funny that way. Greek original in Syriac translation with a Latin title.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2737 on: December 15, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »

Well since no one was interested in my last post...  Tongue

I'm going to do a program of reading through all the works of Albert Camus and taking notes. I expect a treasure trove of psychological and philosophical insights. (<-- I'm serious, but I figured that'd make you laugh 'norm  Grin )

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2738 on: December 17, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »

The Stranger - Albert Camus
A Nietzsche Reader - Nietzsche
Is Pluto a Planet? A Historical Journey Through the Solar System - David A. Weintraub

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2739 on: December 17, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »

Is Pluto a Planet? A Historical Journey Through the Solar System - David A. Weintraub
Please, I'm trying to forget the greatest scientific scandal and moral offense since Galileo.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:07:47 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2740 on: December 17, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »

Please, I'm trying to forge the greatest scientific scandal and moral offense since Galileo.

Hmm?

If you are speaking of him, I believe the main gist of the book is that the idea of what a "planet" is has changed throughout history. I would assume by this that he will conclude that what happened with Pluto several years ago is perfectly normal and acceptable. But I could be wrong.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2741 on: December 17, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »

The Stranger - Albert Camus
A Nietzsche Reader - Nietzsche

I want to read Camus. What book should I start with?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:54:21 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2742 on: December 17, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »

Of his works of fiction, The Stranger is a short work and somewhat simple, and The Plague is a bit longer and more drawn out (in a good way). Others (and plays) are not quite as good. Fwiw I preferred The Stranger of the above two. The Myth of Sisyphus is his main non-fiction work, and details his ideas about what might be called absurdism.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2743 on: December 17, 2012, 06:13:19 PM »

Of his works of fiction, The Stranger is a short work and somewhat simple, and The Plague is a bit longer and more drawn out (in a good way). Others (and plays) are not quite as good. Fwiw I preferred The Stranger of the above two. The Myth of Sisyphus is his main non-fiction work, and details his ideas about what might be called absurdism.

Thanks for the info. I just realized that I did read The Stranger waaay back when I was in high school. I can't remember much about it, though. Anyway, I just placed a hold on The Plague because my library has a copy. Cheers!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2744 on: December 18, 2012, 09:04:38 AM »

Great! You'll be crying "the existentialists haven't gone far enough!" from the roof tops in no time!  Grin

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: