OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:35:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 389130 times) Average Rating: 5
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2610 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:17 AM »

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky

My wife's favourite. She eventually wore me down into giving it a go (I gave up arguing after finding out Kafka was a fan) and I loved it. It's really hard to follow who everyone is until you get your head around the patronymics, though. For some reason if you alternate between referring to someone by their surname and their father's first name according to no pattern I can discern it completely confuses my ageing brain.

James

OK, the truth is I only made it half way through it. I found certain parts very profound, but most of it I thought was unnecessarily laborious. It would take fifty pages to get to something that was actually philosophical or thought provoking. The story of the horse that was beaten to death was very powerful. And there were some great quotes here and there. But too much wasted in between. I made it half way through because the good parts were great. But the good parts were too sparse and the tedious parts too long. And I really hated to give up on it, because it's not a book you can put aside for a while and then pick back up. Too many characters and names to remember.

I was disappointed, because I absolutely loved every page of The Brothers Karamazov.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:37:16 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2611 on: October 16, 2012, 05:51:42 AM »

Oooh, an Orthodox book I've actually read!

I've really been enjoying it. In fact, when I'm done with it (probably tonight) I'm gonna reread it so I can do a book review of it (I didn't take notes the first time through).  angel

Some Finns consider archbishop Paul to be a Saint. There are some stories him glowing with uncreated light and appearing after his death. He's not canonized though and I don't think he will be either in the near future.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2612 on: October 16, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »

I agree with Gebre on C&P, it unnecessarily dragged on way too long after the murder. It got really boring.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #2613 on: October 16, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »

Just finished Dune Messiah. Moving on to book three when I get a chance. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to read for spiritual purposes. Need to get back into Orthodoxy.  Sad

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2614 on: October 16, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »

Regarding Dostoevsky, I had the exact opposite reaction. I loved Crime and Punishment, but found The Brothers K unbearably dull.  Even when I read just the excerpt of the Grand Inquisitor section I found it boring.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #2615 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »

Flying through Everyday Saints by Archimandrite Tikhon Shevkunov. An amazing book, hard to put down.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2616 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »

Reading catechism material (church history and how the structure were built up from year 30-350).

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2617 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »

Regarding Dostoevsky, I had the exact opposite reaction. I loved Crime and Punishment, but found The Brothers K unbearably dull.  Even when I read just the excerpt of the Grand Inquisitor section I found it boring.
That's very surprising. I think the Bros K is exhaustive in everything Dost wanted to say, and although it sprawls a bit, I felt the direction was better than C&P

Speaking of that, it was really exciting in the beginning with the murder, the build up was fantastic and what happened directly after that was a page turner...but then it turned into this drawn out, goes nowhere until near the end. I loved the scene of the horse getting beat to death, but I had to force myself to get through the rest of the book.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #2618 on: October 16, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »

"Between Madness and Death" A Hispanic Orthodox History by Joseph Suaiden

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2619 on: October 17, 2012, 01:46:55 AM »

However there is this quote:

“Nothing is admitted,” Razumihin interrupted with heat. “I am not wrong. I’ll show you their pamphlets. Everything with them is ‘the influence of environment,’ and nothing else. Their favourite phrase! From which it follows that, if society is normally organised, all crime will cease at once, since there will be nothing to protest against and all men will become righteous in one instant. Human nature is not taken into account, it is excluded, it’s not supposed to exist! They don’t recognise that humanity, developing by a historical living process, will become at last a normal society, but they believe that a social system that has come out of some mathematical brain is going to organise all humanity at once and make it just and sinless in an instant, quicker than any living process! That’s why they instinctively dislike history, ‘nothing but ugliness and stupidity in it,’ and they explain it all as stupidity! That’s why they so dislike the living process of life; they don’t and a living soul! The living soul demands life, the soul won’t obey the rules of mechanics, the soul is an object of suspicion, the soul is retrograde! But what they want though it smells of death and can be made of india-rubber, at least is not alive, has no will, is servile and won’t revolt! And it comes in the end to their reducing everything to the building of walls and the planning of rooms and passages in a phalanstery! The phalanstery is ready, indeed, but your human nature is not ready for the phalanstery—it wants life, it hasn’t completed its vital process, it’s too soon for the graveyard! You can’t skip over nature by logic. Logic presupposes three possibilities, but there are millions! Cut away a million, and reduce it all to the question of comfort! That’s the easiest solution of the problem! It’s seductively clear and you mustn’t think about it. That’s the great thing, you mustn’t think! The whole secret of life in two pages of print!”
http://www.bartleby.com/318/35.html

C&P

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2620 on: October 18, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »

Homosexuality in the Orthodox Church, an anthology compiled by Justin Cannon. $8 on Kindle.

This is a must read for all Orthodox Christians, imo.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #2621 on: October 18, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

Homosexuality in the Orthodox Church, an anthology compiled by Justin Cannon. $8 on Kindle.

This is a must read for all Orthodox Christians, imo.

I thought so about Bible, but ok. Wink
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2622 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »

Metaphysics - Aristotle

Commentary on Metaphysics - St. Thomas Aquinas

Talk about dry reading... but necessary for school.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2623 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »

Hey Papist, are you aware of a book of an Orthodox author going through Aquinas' work? I was just curious if there was such a thing.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2624 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »

Hey Papist, are you aware of a book of an Orthodox author going through Aquinas' work? I was just curious if there was such a thing.

You need to get some focus.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #2625 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »

Metaphysics - Aristotle

Commentary on Metaphysics - St. Thomas Aquinas

Talk about dry reading... but necessary for school.

My condolences for Aristotle - fortunately he's rather simple when it comes to translations, though.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2626 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »

You might be interested in this thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=37982.0

Ignore the knee-jerk anti-"Western" ravings from the usual suspects.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2627 on: October 18, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »

You need to get some focus.
I'm short on focus.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2628 on: October 18, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »

If you need to focus on something for longer than 72 hours it's a waste of time  angel
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2629 on: October 18, 2012, 03:17:40 PM »

From what I understand, during the 20th century there were quite a few Eastern Orthodox theologians who were quite critical of Aquinas. But I don't know of any specific works.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2630 on: October 18, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »

From what I understand, during the 20th century there were quite a few Eastern Orthodox theologians who were quite critical of Aquinas. But I don't know of any specific works.

There is definitely a knee-jerk condemnation of anything "scholastic", the same tendency that bemoans a "Western captivity" and throws a tantrum when an icon has a vanishing point; basically, we're so mystical and spooky and therefore have no need for organizing our theology in a systematic way. This is a polemically fabricated "Eastern Orthodoxy" that is not representative of the full tradition of the Church.

In the time of Aquinas and the centuries that followed such an attitude was not to be found.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:24:01 PM by Iconodule » Logged

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2631 on: October 18, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »

I have just finished "Too Much Magic" by James Howard Kunstler and I'm currently reading Fr. John Meyendorff's book, "The Byzantine Legacy in the Orthodox Church".

I'm debating what to start after Fr. John's book. I recently bought Church History by Eusebius and On the Divine Images by St. John of Damascus. Or I could move to another non-Orthodox work.

The current books on my shelf that I have yet to read:

Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit
Star Wars The Old Republic: Deceived by Paul S. Kemp
Star Wars Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Grand Inquisitor by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The City in the Greek & Roman World by E.J. Owens
Beyond Oil by Kenneth S. Deffeyes
Medieval Russia 980-1584 by Janet Martin
Celtic Christianity by Timothy Joyce
A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich
1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the clash of Islam and the West by Roger Crowley
Russia and the Russians by Geoffrey Hosking
History of Urban Form before the Industrial Revolution by A.E.J. Morris
Three Treatises on the Divine Images by St. John of Damascus
Church History by Eusebius
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2632 on: October 18, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »

Fwiw, of the books I've read in that list, Church History by Eusebius was the one I found most interesting.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2633 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »

I will also say that I've read far more now that I've graduated than I did in college. Here is a list of the books I've read since May (graduation):

The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler
Too Much Magic by James Howard Kunstler
Russia and the Golden Horde by Charles Halperin
A Better Place to Live by Philip Langdon
The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler
Lost to the West by Lars Brownworth
The Fall of Constantinople: 1453 by Steven Runciman

Oh and I should also add For the Life of the World by Fr. Alexander Schmemann to my "To Read" list.

I'm also reading (periodically because I have to read it closely) The Spiritual Life by St Theophan the Recluse.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2634 on: October 18, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »

Fwiw, of the books I've read in that list, Church History by Eusebius was the one I found most interesting.
WHy?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2635 on: October 18, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »

WHy?

Probably some of it has to do with it being more story telling in parts, not dry history/dialogue/etc. It was also interesting having a peek at what some of the earlier Christians whose writings are no longer extant believed and wrote about.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #2636 on: October 20, 2012, 07:45:11 AM »

I've never been non-religious but for me an idea of being non-religious arouses some kind of feeling of anguish, emptiness and purposelessness. What should I read if I wanted to read something related to that kind of theme? Sarte? Camus? Hemingway?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2637 on: October 20, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »

I've never been non-religious but for me an idea of being non-religious arouses some kind of feeling of anguish, emptiness and purposelessness. What should I read if I wanted to read something related to that kind of theme? Sarte? Camus? Hemingway?

HP Lovecraft

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #2638 on: October 20, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »

HP Lovecraft

LOL. I like Lovecraft but I'm looking for something little different. Maybe something little more this wordly and little less mythic.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #2639 on: October 20, 2012, 11:41:30 AM »

Older sci-fi: Arthur Clarke, Robert Heinlein, a good short story collection...  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2640 on: October 20, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

Camus!  Cool
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2641 on: October 20, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »

Darwinism and the Divine in America

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #2642 on: October 20, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »

Camus!  Cool

Any specific recommendations from him? I recently read The Fall but there was next to nothing about that kind of tex I am looking for.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:34:04 PM by Alpo » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2643 on: October 20, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »

I'm not sure how much his works cultivate those things you mentioned, to be honest, I just like Camus  Grin  Besides The Myth of Sisyphus (non-fiction) I'd probably say The Stranger (fiction).
fleur-de-lys
Chestertonian

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2644 on: October 20, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

Camus!  Cool

Any specific recommendations from him? I recently read The Fall but there was next to nothing about that kind of text I am looking for.

If that's really what you want, then The Plague is for you. I did not enjoy it, because it has everything you mentioned.

Between us, by the peace of God, such truth can now be told;

Yea, there is strength in striking root, and good in growing old.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2645 on: October 20, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »

HP Lovecraft

LOL. I like Lovecraft but I'm looking for something little different. Maybe something little more this wordly and little less mythic.

Another one I almost forgot about- Les Chants de Maldoror by Lautreamont. It's completely unique and mindbending.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2646 on: October 20, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »

Human Image: World Image: The Death and Resurrection of Sacred Cosmology, by Philip Sherrard
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2647 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »

Human Image: World Image: The Death and Resurrection of Sacred Cosmology, by Philip Sherrard

I really, really want to read Sherrard!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2648 on: October 20, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »

I really, really want to read Sherrard!

Yeah, that's been on my radar for a while now (Iconodule has recommended it several times), looking forward to reading it.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #2649 on: October 21, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »

In the time of Aquinas and the centuries that followed such an attitude was not to be found.
Really? All of the books about the period that I have read have said to the contrary. Aquinas was translated into Greek and a number of Eastern theologians liked him but they were looked down on for it. Many of these same types that liked Aquinas joined the Latin Church soon after the Council of Florence.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2650 on: October 22, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »

Really? All of the books about the period that I have read have said to the contrary. Aquinas was translated into Greek and a number of Eastern theologians liked him but they were looked down on for it. Many of these same types that liked Aquinas joined the Latin Church soon after the Council of Florence.

St. Gennadius Scholarius, a firm opponent of the union and disciple of St. Mark Eugenikos, was one of the chief advocates for the usefulness of Aquinas.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:45:32 AM by Iconodule » Logged

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #2651 on: October 22, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »

St. Gennadius Scholarius, a firm opponent of the union and disciple of St. Mark Eugenikos, was one of the chief advocates for the usefulness of Aquinas.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't St. Gennadius pro-Union at the time of Florence? Do any of his pro-Aquinas sentiments come from writings after his "conversion" to anti-unionism?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:18:11 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2652 on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't St. Gennadius pro-Union at the time of Florence? Do any of his pro-Aquinas sentiments come from writings after his "conversion" to the anti-unionism?

He continued to translate and praise Aquinas well into his retirement. Here's a worthwhile article: http://eirenikon.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/a-latins-lamentation-over-gennadios-scholarios/

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #2653 on: October 22, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »

I wonder whether there are any canonized Saints who have bought this Western Captivity and anti-Western hype?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2654 on: October 22, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »

Maximus Confessor: Selected Writings
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: