OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:59:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 375714 times) Average Rating: 5
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2565 on: August 18, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

I am about to read "Wheat Belly" which is now a best seller. I have seen the author's full lecture on-line.

Wheat drives appetite. Wheat has been so hybridized that it no longer resembles the original plant, the stuff that people made bread out of in biblical times.. It has something akin to an opiate within it , so it is addicting.

One slice of whole wheat bread spikes your insulin higher than a spoon full of table sugar or a bowel of Ice Cream.

Every time you think something is good for you, they come out with a study telling you that it's the worst thing in the world. Surely wheat bread has to be healthier than white bread?

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #2566 on: August 18, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »

I am about to read "Wheat Belly" which is now a best seller. I have seen the author's full lecture on-line.

Wheat drives appetite. Wheat has been so hybridized that it no longer resembles the original plant, the stuff that people made bread out of in biblical times.. It has something akin to an opiate within it , so it is addicting.

One slice of whole wheat bread spikes your insulin higher than a spoon full of table sugar or a bowel of Ice Cream.

Every time you think something is good for you, they come out with a study telling you that it's the worst thing in the world. Surely wheat bread has to be healthier than white bread?

Selam

A wheat bread addiction is something I just haven't been able to manage.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2567 on: August 18, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »

Selam

Nope.. Whole Wheat bread will spike your insulin higher and faster than white bread, table sugar or ice cream...

Conclusion: Eat more Ice Cream   Roll Eyes

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2568 on: August 18, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »

Selam

A wheat bread addiction is something I just haven't been able to manage.

Many people display signs of withdrawal when they give up grains.. I know I did... I had cravings for bread for weeks too. Over it now.  
When people are given drugs that are normally given to heroin addicts to block the opiate pleasure stimulation, they lose their taste for Wheat too.
It also drives hunger. That is why food scientists have snuck it into so many foods, they know you will eat more.. $$$$$

Here is the lecture if you dont want to read the book or find out more first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VklT8uL8yo
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:44:38 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2569 on: August 20, 2012, 04:13:17 AM »

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun

If you're male, play this song loud in your car. I dare ya.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #2570 on: August 20, 2012, 04:46:19 AM »

Mere Christianity. C.S Lewis.

Not even at the middle of the book I'm already amazed  Grin
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2571 on: August 20, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »

Selam

Nope.. Whole Wheat bread will spike your insulin higher and faster than white bread, table sugar or ice cream...

Conclusion: Eat more Ice Cream   Roll Eyes
So you're saying that wheat is s-wheat?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #2572 on: August 21, 2012, 04:18:09 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Prussian-Officer-Stories-Cambridge-Lawrence/dp/0521289858

completely new, especially not yet used
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2573 on: August 25, 2012, 06:59:59 AM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #2574 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »

The Burning Tigris by Peter Balakian.Primarily account of the Armenian genocide (& includes the Greek & Syrian also) by the Ottomans. I just finished it & it is most thorough & discusses implications up to the present day.

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Burning-Tigris-Peter-Balakian/?isbn=9780060558703   

Antiochian OC N.A.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2575 on: August 27, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2576 on: August 27, 2012, 09:01:09 PM »

Finished Jurassic Park a few days ago, now half way through The Lost World.  Excellent books.  Very philosophical. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2577 on: August 29, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »

If you could describe Ayn Rand and Objectivism, what would it be?

Satanism without the Satan stuff.
I was looking for an old book I posted awhile back and totally forgot about this comment.

You know it's funny because I was reading up on Anton LaVey the other day and he did incorporate elements of Objectivism into Satanism, so that's no mere coincidence.

But, where Objectivism turns a cold and hostile shoulder to altruism in all its forms, Satanism's attitude is, if being altruistic benefits you (whether in the long- or the short-term), or makes you feel good, then, by all means, get down with your, erm, good self.

The weird metaphor that comes to mind is that where Objectivism expects you to keep the action figure in its original casing to preserve its condition and value, Satanism recognizes that it's much more fun to take Optimus Primal out of his box, and have him battle Megatron and Strawberry Shortcake for control of the rubber duck.

Maybe orthodox Objectivists leave the world with fewer scratches and stains (though, I doubt it) but Satanists tend to have a lot more fun--and that's largely what matters (that, and having a sense of purpose), when you only get one go-around on the carousel.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #2578 on: August 29, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »

Oooh, an Orthodox book I've actually read!

I am reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2579 on: September 01, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »

Bought 7 books tonight at the used book sale at my parish. They're all short (some merely booklets) and I'll probably read most of them over the next week or two...

Sacred Symbols: A Study of the Major Symbols of the Orthodox Church, Vol. 2, by Fr. Anthony M. Coniaris (166 pp.)
Meeting the Incarnate God: From the Human Depths to the Mystery of Fidelity, by Met. Philip and Joseph Allen (93 pp.)
Rule Of Pachomius At Tabenna Or The Asketikon (38 pp.)
An Outline of Orthodox Monasticism (20 pp.)
Contemporary Moral Issues: Facing the Orthodox Christian, by Fr. Stanley S. Harakas (185 pp.)
The Ministry of the Church: Image of Pastoral Care, by Fr. Joseph J. Allen (232 pp.)

I don't know the title of the 7th book because it's in Greek, and all of this is being Greek to me. It's something about St. Nektarios. I bought it figuring I'd learn Greek. Someday. Hopefully.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2580 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »

Oooh, an Orthodox book I've actually read!

I've really been enjoying it. In fact, when I'm done with it (probably tonight) I'm gonna reread it so I can do a book review of it (I didn't take notes the first time through).  angel

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #2581 on: September 01, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »

Gods in the Desert: Religion in the Ancient Near East.

The Quran.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2582 on: September 01, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »

Sounds interesting... what time frames and cultures does it cover?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2583 on: September 01, 2012, 11:59:21 PM »

Well, after I finally got around to starting God in Pain, I read a few chapters into it, and decided that enough of it was going over my head that I'll put it aside for now and get back to it some time in the future.

About the same time, I discovered that the Hayden Library at ASU has a greater collection of books on the Karaites than I have ever seen in one place (which isn't hard, because the most I've ever seen at any other place were two), so I'm about to start An Introduction to the Karaite Judaism: History, Theology, Practice, and Custom by the al-Qirqisani Center for the Promotion of Karaite Studies; then I'll move onto Karaite Exegesis in Medieval Jerusalem by Miriam Goldstein, a part of the Texts and Studies in Medieval and Early Modern Judaism series; then Karaite Judaism and Historical Understanding by Fred Astren; followed by The Karaite Encyclopedia by Nathan Schur; and then I'll start reading On Becoming a Person by Carl Rogers (which I recently received from Amazon).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #2584 on: September 02, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »

Sounds interesting... what time frames and cultures does it cover?

It covers Egyptian, Mesopotamian and Syro-Palestinian religion up until the Persian conquests, although it deals with Isrealite religion up through the early Hellenistic Period. I've only gotten partway through the Egyptian part, but it's very interesting. I'm already connecting dots with Biblical concepts. The book is very objectively written.

The author is Glenn S. Holland.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2585 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »

^ Thanks for the info Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2586 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »

Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary, by Marcus J. Borg

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2587 on: September 06, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »

Alexander Pope's translation of Homer's Odyssey.

It's exquisite. I'm beginning to think this is the only way to read Homer in English.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2588 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »

Alexander Pope's translation of Homer's Odyssey.

It's exquisite. I'm beginning to think this is the only way to read Homer in English.
I trust your authority because the translation I read in high school was dreck.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2589 on: September 21, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

This Business of Music: The Definitive Guide to the Music Industry, by Krasilovsky, Shemel, et al.

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2590 on: September 21, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »

Forgive my sins.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #2591 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »

A Man is His Faith:Ivan Kireyevsky and Orthodox Christianity by Fr. Alexi (Hieromonk Ambrose) Young

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2592 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »

Mountain Nature: A Seasonal Natural History of the Southern Appalachians, Jennifer Frick-Ruppert

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2593 on: September 28, 2012, 01:07:59 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I just finished Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, its nowhere near as breathtaking as American Gods was, but it was not meant to be.  It was shorter, less developed, but a generally more fun and less intensive read.  I liked some of the characters and the insights symbolized, such as how the Devil is the Tiger who we all fear, and he inhabits even our most mundane tribulations such as a bad day in the office with the boss, let alone life and death struggles.  The metaphor was eclipsed when the everyday evil of the big-headed office boss suddenly turned arbitrarily into a psychopath killer, showing us indeed that the Devil is the Devil regardless of the scale of his evils, and we need to always be on our toes like Saint Peter warned us about.

Oh yeah and how spider bites are unpredictable because the spiders' think its funny, and that some hats require you tip them to the side and to almost have to dance with swagger just to wear them properly Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2594 on: September 28, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »

Archaeology: A Very Short Introduction, by Paul Bahn

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2595 on: September 28, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #2596 on: September 28, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »

I read Common Sense by Thomas Paine for my History to 1865 class.
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #2597 on: September 29, 2012, 12:10:50 AM »

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2598 on: September 29, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Text book for US history? Zinn's isn't too bad.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #2599 on: September 29, 2012, 12:48:51 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

It's a second book to supplement the standard textbook.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2600 on: September 29, 2012, 02:26:46 AM »

The Heavenly Banquet : Understanding the Divine Liturgy / Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis.
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #2601 on: September 29, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »

The Heavenly Banquet : Understanding the Divine Liturgy / Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis.

sounds good

completely new, especially not yet used
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2602 on: September 29, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »

I am a little over 1/4 way through it.  I like it.  The author sticks to the basics and leaves the allegorical and mystical interpretations to Church Fathers and scholars who have already written about it.  It is organized well, as the basic commentary is the main text, while the author gives a little more detail in footnotes and some other studies marked in a different color.  He usually leaves his own opinions in the footnotes and other studies marked in a different color, so readers can choose how much detail to take in when reading each chapter.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2603 on: September 29, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »

Currently reading:

House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski
St Silouan the Athonite, by Archimandrite Sophrony

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2604 on: September 30, 2012, 07:52:14 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

It's ok to read, but it needs a heavy balance- like almost every history book out there. I have come to understand that there is no such thing as an objectively written history book. So in order to understand history, read authors from as many perspectives as possible. Even then, as Bob Marley said, "half the story has never been told." If you really want to understand human history and human destiny, all you need to do is read the Bible. The rest is just details conveyed with political bias.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #2605 on: September 30, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »

It's called "Overcoming Autism."

I bought it two years ago, but never got the chance to finish it, so I am trying to now  Smiley

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2606 on: October 14, 2012, 02:09:10 AM »

Way of the Ascetics, by Tito Colliander

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2607 on: October 16, 2012, 04:34:33 AM »

The Napoleon of Nottinghill by G.K. Chesterton

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #2608 on: October 16, 2012, 04:57:17 AM »

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2609 on: October 16, 2012, 05:14:07 AM »

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky

My wife's favourite. She eventually wore me down into giving it a go (I gave up arguing after finding out Kafka was a fan) and I loved it. It's really hard to follow who everyone is until you get your head around the patronymics, though. For some reason if you alternate between referring to someone by their surname and their father's first name according to no pattern I can discern it completely confuses my ageing brain.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: