OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:24:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 397414 times) Average Rating: 5
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2250 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »

Right now, I'm reading St. Francis of Assisi by G.K. Chesterton. I'm about half way through and I really like it. This is first writing of his that I've read.
The first of his? PLEASE read Orthodoxy first then The Everlasting Man.

I will do that. I own The Everlasting Man but I will have to get Orthodoxy from the library. I plan on reading both.
Although I like both books, I have always appreciated Everlasting Man a great deal more.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #2251 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2252 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »

Right now, I'm reading St. Francis of Assisi by G.K. Chesterton. I'm about half way through and I really like it. This is first writing of his that I've read.

I will do that. I own The Everlasting Man but I will have to get Orthodoxy from the library. I plan on reading both.
Although I like both books, I have always appreciated Everlasting Man a great deal more.

Thanks. I will definitely read that next. I really like St. Francis of Assisi. Its short, but a really good read. It opened up my eyes quite a bit to St. Francis. I have the second volume of the Chesterton collected works which contains St. Francis, The Everlasting Man, and St. Thomas Aquinas.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:18:25 AM by Andrew21091 » Logged
W.A.Mozart
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #2253 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:03 AM »

I have read "The Ratzinger Report," which came out when he was still a Cardinal, I think. And I also read his book "Jesus of Nazareth." I enjoyed them both. Haven't read his book on Holy Week yet.

Thanks

completely new, especially not yet used
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2254 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »

Very frazzled yesterday. Read some more of 2 Maccabees, and Revelation. It helped.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #2255 on: February 23, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »

Thanks. I will definitely read that next. I really like St. Francis of Assisi. Its short, but a really good read. It opened up my eyes quite a bit to St. Francis. I have the second volume of the Chesterton collected works which contains St. Francis, The Everlasting Man, and St. Thomas Aquinas.

Hey, that's the one I have. Smiley

Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #2256 on: March 02, 2012, 05:44:43 AM »

Taking a break from Gogol. Now reading Travels in Four Dimensions for school.

Also, The Annotated Alice (definitive edition) and Assimov's Foundation.

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2257 on: March 02, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Becoming Orthodox by Peter Gilquist

The Pearl of Great Price: The Life of Mother Maria Skobtsova by Sergei Hackel

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #2258 on: March 02, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »

The Gospel books.

And the Ressurection of the son of God by NT Wright.

Thank you.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #2259 on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »

Very frazzled yesterday.

Kitteh for you

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2260 on: March 03, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »

Thank you so much!  Smileyangel

(((hug)))
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2261 on: March 06, 2012, 07:57:45 AM »

Just recently finished the fourth book of the Rainbow Series, an Introduction to the Orthodox Church by the guy who built Conciliar Press, and now I'm about half way through Light in the Darkness (I'd be done with it if I didn't wind up writing 40% of it down), next I'm starting Great Lent by Schmemann.  Then, hopefully, An Overview of Orthodox Canon Law by Metropolitan Panteleimon Rodopoulos will have arrived from Amazon.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2262 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »

Just went on Audible, and I found this: "'Nine for the Devil: A John the Lord Chamberlain Mystery, Book 9.'" It's by Mary Reed. The blurb reads as follows:

"The year is 548, and Empress Theodora is dead of disease. Such is the belief of everyone in Constantinople, capital of the Roman Empire - everyone except Emperor Justinian, who orders John, his Lord Chamberlain, to find her murderer or suffer the consequences.

There is no sign of foul play, but many of the aristocrats at the imperial court had good reason to want Theodora dead. Suspects include General Artabanes, forced to occupy a house with an unloved wife, and Justinian’s cousin Germanus, who has seen his career blocked. Also suspect are Antonina and her husband, General Belisarius, enraged by Theodora’s attempt to marry their daughter to her grandson by compelling the young couple to live together. Could the exiled and much hated former tax collector John the Cappadocian have played a role? Might Gaius, palace physician, have tampered with Theodora’s medication? Pope Vigilius, who was detained in the capital due to a religious controversy, is not above suspicion. Even friends of John the Lord Chamberlain are acting strangely, including Anatolius the lawyer and Felix, captain of the palace guards.

As if it isn’t difficult enough to seek a murderer who seems to be a figment of the emperor’s grief-deranged imagination, John must also grapple with domestic upheavals. His daughter, living on an estate outside of the city, is about to give birth, and his aging servant, Peter, is dying. Will John be able to serve justice, his loved ones, and the emperor?"

Wow, the Eastern Empire. Neat!   Grin
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #2263 on: March 06, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »

Wow! John Lord Chamberlain books, I'm going to have to look for those! Patricia Briggs is having a booksigning tonight, and as she's the only NYT bestselling author who's also been a customer of mine, I'm practically obligated to go and buy at least one of her books (such a hardship, lol!). That will cover me for fiction for a while, though.

Currently reading "The Ancestral Sin" by John Romanides.

"Who touches, is also touched"
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2264 on: March 13, 2012, 02:13:09 PM »

I just got Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat.  Her father was Russian Orthodox, so she was raised Orthodox Christian in Iran.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #2265 on: March 13, 2012, 02:50:22 PM »

Finished the Bible a few weeks ago. Highly recommended.

St. Athanasius, On the Incarnation of the Word of God. It was good to read, but it didn't live up to the hype for me.

How the Irish Saved Civilization: I loved this book, even though I'm not Irish, and in spite of a few inaccuracies.

Currently reading the Phikokalia: besides the Bible, this might be the most exciting thing I've ever read. Some people would find that weird.

Also currently reading Calvin's Institutes, the dimmest view of human nature ever, probably reflecting the state of society around him.

And The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, which is what I read after Calvin to make myself feel better.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2266 on: March 15, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »

The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest For What Makes Us Human, by V.S. Ramachandran

Large Marge sent me...
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2267 on: March 16, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »

The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest For What Makes Us Human, by V.S. Ramachandran

Ah, yes. A classic Lenten Season read, that one.  Cheesy

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2268 on: March 18, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »

Ah, yes. A classic Lenten Season read, that one.  Cheesy

Tongue

Some of it is pretty interesting, some...

I also recently read a book on free will by Sam Harris. Sort of meh. Was very let down.

Large Marge sent me...
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2269 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »

Ah, yes. A classic Lenten Season read, that one.  Cheesy

Tongue

Some of it is pretty interesting, some...

I also recently read a book on free will by Sam Harris. Sort of meh. Was very let down.

Let me guess... The Moral Landscape?

Okay, I confess: In addition to some Christian books I've been reading for Lent, I've also been dipping into The Borderlands of Science, by Michael Shermer. And I'm about halfway through Demon Haunted World - Science as a Candle in the Dark, by Carl Sagan. Not exactly Lenten reading, either.  Embarrassed Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:05:42 AM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2270 on: March 19, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »

LOL@your "Lenten" reading ... it does a mind good!  Grin   But the book by Harris wasn't The Moral Landscape (which I've also read), but this one:

Very short book, and not a whole lot of meat to it either.  At least it didn't read like an I'm-purposely-going-to-be-as-boring-as-possible philosophy text.

Large Marge sent me...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2271 on: March 20, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »

Just picked up the newest book by your favorite Bible scholar and mine... . . Bart D. Ehrman!  Grin

Here's a snippet from the introduction:

"Every week I receive two or three e-mails asking me whether Jesus existed as a human being. When I started getting these e-mails, some years ago now, I thought the question was rather peculiar and I did not take it seriously. Of course Jesus existed. Everyone knows he existed. Don't they?"

He argues that, yes, Jesus did exist. Still too early to tell what I think overall, however.

EDIT--I said "to" when I should have said "too"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:43:14 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2272 on: March 20, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »

Father Arseny: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father

http://www.amazon.com/Father-Arseny-1893-1973-Narratives-Concerning/dp/0881411809
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2273 on: March 20, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »

My package just arrived in the mail, and am very excited to begin reading:

Shepherd of Souls - The Life and Teachings of Elder Cleopa, Master of Inner Prayer and Spiritual Father of Romania (1912 - 1998), by Archimandrite Ioanichie Balan. (St. Herman Press).

http://www.stherman.com/Catalog/Lives_of_Saints/Cleopa_book.htm

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2274 on: March 20, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »

Amazing, precious book, that one! True Christian love in action.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2275 on: March 20, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »

"Soul Murder," Andrew Nugent.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2276 on: March 20, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »

I have that on audiobook somewhere.   angel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2277 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »

Been too long since I read that (and the sequel)...

Large Marge sent me...
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #2278 on: March 28, 2012, 02:30:42 AM »

At the moment, I am reading Thomas Merton's The Seven Story Mountain as well as The Shoes of the Fisherman by Morris West.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2279 on: March 28, 2012, 03:42:10 AM »

At the moment, I am reading Thomas Merton's The Seven Story Mountain as well as The Shoes of the Fisherman by Morris West.

The Seven Storey Mountain is a wonderful book. Take your time and enjoy it. It's got to be in my top 5 favorite books.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2280 on: March 28, 2012, 03:49:12 AM »

Have You Seen the One I Love: Contemplations on the Song of Songs

by H.H. Pope Shenouda III

One of those books where my highlighter ran out quickly. Might as well highlight the entire book. Great stuff! So deeply edifying and comforting thus far.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:49:40 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2281 on: March 28, 2012, 07:57:38 AM »

Philokalia: The Bible of Orthodox Spirituality, by Anthony M. Coniaris

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2282 on: March 29, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »

About 10 years ago I gave my Dad some books, and I just got them back to read again!  I feel like it's Christmas morning or something, except in this case I wasn't the one who recently ordered them, waited for them to arrive, opened the box, wrapped them, put them under the tree, and looking on longingly for weeks waiting to open them. Er... in other words, getting them this time came as a surprise, but it's always fun to get books  Grin

Saint Nektarios: The Saint of Our Century, by Sotos Chondropoulos
The Roots of Christian Mysticism: Texts From the Patristic Era With Commentary, by Olivier Clement
The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis

Large Marge sent me...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2283 on: March 29, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »

"The Red Dahlia," by Lydia LaPlante.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2284 on: April 01, 2012, 02:07:16 AM »

Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens Our Future, by Chris Mooney and Sheril Kirshenbaum

Large Marge sent me...
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #2285 on: April 01, 2012, 02:29:47 AM »

The Didache, or The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2286 on: April 01, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »

The Book of Wisdom

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Wisdom+1&version=DRA
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2287 on: April 02, 2012, 11:18:55 AM »

The Dresden Files

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #2288 on: April 03, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »

A World on Fire Amanda Foreman

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2289 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

The Fort by Bernard Cornwell.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2290 on: April 03, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »

"Death's Jest Book," Reginald Hill.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2291 on: April 03, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »

Historical: American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson

Spiritual: The Way of the Spirit: Reflection on Life in God

Personal: LOTR (Two Towers presently)

I finished American Sphinx and am now working on Doris K Goodwin's Team of Rivals (Lincoln's presidency and cabinet).

I finished LOTR and am now working on Game of Thrones, first volume of A Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm still working on my spiritual book quoted above.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2292 on: April 03, 2012, 05:46:13 PM »

Rock of Ages - Science and Religion in the Fullness of Life, by Stephen Jay Gould

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2293 on: April 03, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »

Amazing, precious book, that one! True Christian love in action.

yes sir, that does seem to be the case Smiley
brandb

« Reply #2294 on: April 05, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »

Going to start The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo soon; contemplating starting on A Song of Fire and Ice as well... hmmm...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:08:51 AM by brandb » Logged
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: