OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 05:56:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 366296 times) Average Rating: 5
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2025 on: November 18, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »

"Altered States," Paddy Chayefsky. So scary, I couldn't finish it on the first day.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2026 on: November 18, 2011, 06:20:01 PM »

"Altered States," Paddy Chayefsky. So scary, I couldn't finish it on the first day.
There's a movie of it too.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2027 on: November 18, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »

Which I've seen.  Smiley

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2028 on: November 18, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »

Sylvia Lopez-Medina's Cantora.

It had a good review from Oscar Hijuelos (LOVE) on the front cover, so I decided to go for it.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2029 on: November 19, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »

I am reading a book by Igor Bunich (1937-2004), titled, "The Gold of the Party" ("Zoloto Partii," in Russian). A thorough investigation of the "financial side" of the Communist Party of the USSR, including its connections with various international banks and corporations. I am almost done with this book, and it becomes even more interesting and intriguing towards the end. I especially enjoyed the author's psychological portraits of Yuriy Andropov and Mikhail Gorbachev.

Love never fails.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2030 on: November 20, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »

I know this is basic, but I want to post about it to share my joy -- I finished reading St. Seraphim of Sarov's "On Acquisition of the Holy Spirit."

I've gotten so off track with my studies Sad , being caught up with practical church issues, but I pray that with this fast that I can get back on track with my prayer rule and reading, in addition to working with my priest, godparents, and other church activities.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2031 on: November 20, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »

I know this is basic, but I want to post about it to share my joy -- I finished reading St. Seraphim of Sarov's "On Acquisition of the Holy Spirit."

I've gotten so off track with my studies Sad , being caught up with practical church issues, but I pray that with this fast that I can get back on track with my prayer rule and reading, in addition to working with my priest, godparents, and other church activities.
Good! I know how you feel though. I considered it a personal triumph when I finished St. Innocent's Way into the Kingdom of Heaven even though it's just a pamphlet. Baby steps.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:35:37 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2032 on: November 20, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »

May the Theotokos help you & Mr. Ismi reach your goals.
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #2033 on: November 25, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/73780543/Monastic-Liturgy

completely new, especially not yet used
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2034 on: November 25, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »

I purchased this book after I saw you posted it. In a word, fascinating. Have any other recommendations?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2035 on: November 25, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »

I've been trying to get back to regular Bible reading. This week I'm on the Book of Psalms.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2036 on: November 26, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

I started three books the other day.  laugh I can't decide which ones to follow up on.

Volume 1 of Pelikan's history of Christian doctrine

Natalie Zemon Davis- The Return of Martin Geuere

The Collected Works of Flannery O'Connor (Currently on Wise Blood)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:18:51 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2037 on: November 26, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »

Kalila and Dimna: Fables of Friendship and Betrayal retold by Ramsay Wood

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2038 on: November 26, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »

I started three books the other day.  laugh I can't decide which ones to follow up on.

Volume 1 of Pelikan's history of Christian doctrine

Natalie Zemon Davis- The Return of Martin Geuere

The Collected Works of Flannery O'Connor (Currently on Wise Blood)

I want to read Pelikan. About seven or so years ago I heard an interview with him and I living with some Jesuits and I read some of his stuff and was impressed.

Flannery O'Connor is great. Get the film Wise Blood. It is fantastic. And you get see one of America's greatest character actors as a young man play a protagonist, Brad Dourif.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2039 on: November 26, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »

Was at a buddy's house and picked up a couple books from him. This is one:

The Saint who scandalized a younger Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh by drinking beer and smoking openly in her monastic robes while unbeknownst to him dying daily giving her life to save others.

Been "avoiding" her. As I say, I ain't into holopr0n. I heard one version of life read in the parish and I could barely "keep it together". She was the real deal.

How her life ended depresses the hell out of me and I how she lived it depresses the hell out of me. Saw this at my buddy's and figured it was time to read a Saint whose life in an unfortunate way touches mine.

When the Jews in occupied lands had to wear the Star of David and other Christians said it wasn't a Christian problem, she said:

There is no such thing as a Christian Problem. Don't you realize that the battle is being waged against Christianity? If we were true Christians, we would all wear the Star. The age of Confessors has come.

For that one line alone: There is no such thing as a "Christian" Problem. She reminds us of our fundamental calling.

Neatly and frighteningly summing up the Christian life:

The way to God lies through love of people. At the Last Judgment I shall not be asked whether I was successful in my ascetic exercises, nor how many bows and prostrations I made. Instead I shall be asked, Did I feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the sick and the prisoners. That is all I shall be asked. About every poor, hungry and imprisoned person the Savior says ‘I’: ‘I was hungry and thirsty, I was sick and in prison.’ To think that he puts an equal sign between himself and anyone in need. . . . I always knew it, but now it has somehow penetrated to my sinews. It fills me with awe.

When the edict came down for Jews to have to wear the Star, she wrote a poem:

Israel

Two triangles, a star,
The shield of King David, our forefather.
This is election, not offense.
The great path and not an evil.

Once more in a term fulfilled,
Once more roars the trumpet of the end;
And the fate of a great people
Once more is by the prophet proclaimed.
Thou art persecuted again, O Israel,
But what can human malice mean to thee,
who have heard the thunder from Sinai?

"What can human malice mean to thee, who have heard the thunder from Sinai?"

Indeed, how much less can human malice mean to we, who claim to have heard the groans from Calvary?

St. Mary Skobtsova pray for us!

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #2040 on: November 26, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »

I just finished The Once and Future King by TH White.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2041 on: November 26, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »

I just finished The Once and Future King by TH White.

Good one!   Smiley

I've got lots of stuff to finish, including the new Asa Larsson, 'Until Thy Wrath be Past.'

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2042 on: November 26, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »

Flannery O'Connor is great. Get the film Wise Blood. It is fantastic. And you get see one of America's greatest character actors as a young man play a protagonist, Brad Dourif.
Will do. Thanks.

And I'm really enjoying Pelikan.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2043 on: November 27, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »

Will do. Thanks.

Flannery O'Connor is the Queen of Southern Writers, IMO. My parents are from her hometown of Milledgeville, GA, and my grandmother knew Ms. Oconnor quite well. It's just too bad that most literature professors fail to recognize the profound Christian symbolism in her writing. This makes me want to revisit some of her works. Thanks.  Smiley

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2044 on: November 30, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »

"Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy" by Martin Lindstrom.

I knew about some of the tricks (baked potato chips in matte bags versus shiny bags), but reading about some of these experiments...yikes. Makes me not want to purchase anything anymore, although then again, I purchased the book!

--
--
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2045 on: November 30, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »

The Flying Inn by Chesterton

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2046 on: November 30, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »

Will do. Thanks.

Flannery O'Connor is the Queen of Southern Writers, IMO. My parents are from her hometown of Milledgeville, GA, and my grandmother knew Ms. Oconnor quite well. It's just too bad that most literature professors fail to recognize the profound Christian symbolism in her writing. This makes me want to revisit some of her works. Thanks.  Smiley

Selam
You're welcome  Smiley
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2047 on: November 30, 2011, 06:35:53 PM »

"Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy" by Martin Lindstrom.

I knew about some of the tricks (baked potato chips in matte bags versus shiny bags), but reading about some of these experiments...yikes. Makes me not want to purchase anything anymore, although then again, I purchased the book!

If you only really knew . . . I mean seriously.

I often wonder if I have any soul left after sitting through some of the stuff I've had to listen to. Or taken part in doing.

All for the joy of scraping by in life.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2048 on: November 30, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »

I often wonder if I have any soul left after sitting through some of the stuff I've had to listen to. Or taken part in doing.

I found an old order once.  There was a note in the margin: "There is a new manufacturer for this part and the price has dropped considerably.  I don't want the customer coming back and asking why they were charged so much back then and it is so low now.  See you all in hell."
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2049 on: November 30, 2011, 06:48:24 PM »

OMG Vamrat, I would have laughed in horror after seeing that.

And Orthonorm, again, another chapter to your memoir...you need to chop-chop on that so I can add it to my reading list.  Cool

BTW, a rec here. I have a few more pages to go, but the aforementioned poster said something about "The Paradox of Choice" by Barry Schwartz. Another good book related to the psychology of choice and how we may have too much choice in our society today...I wholeheartedly agree and reading the book is making me more and more depressed.

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2050 on: November 30, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »

I found an old order once.  There was a note in the margin: "There is a new manufacturer for this part and the price has dropped considerably.  I don't want the customer coming back and asking why they were charged so much back then and it is so low now.  See you all in hell."

At least it is honest and hilarious. I am amongst the true believers.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2051 on: November 30, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »

Speaking of, this book looked really interesting. Has anyone read it? http://www.amazon.com/Childhood-Under-Siege-Business-Children/dp/1439121206/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2052 on: November 30, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

Speaking of, this book looked really interesting. Has anyone read it? http://www.amazon.com/Childhood-Under-Siege-Business-Children/dp/1439121206/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

Crystal, again I can't recommend highly enough Neil Postman's The Disappearance of Childhood.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2053 on: November 30, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »

Okey-doke
brandb

« Reply #2054 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:15 AM »

The Hunger Games. The bestie suckered me into it. And now the books have taken over my life; I feel like everything is
on hold until I can finish them. & I'm on the last one with 200 pages left to go andit's2AMandIhaveworkin5hoursbutIdon'twanttostop.
Dangit.

Still trying to gnaw down Augustine's Confessions. In bits and pieces- going on like 4-6 months, I think. Idk. Lost count.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2055 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »

The Hunger Games. The bestie suckered me into it. And now the books have taken over my life; I feel like everything is
on hold until I can finish them. & I'm on the last one with 200 pages left to go andit's2AMandIhaveworkin5hoursbutIdon'twanttostop.
Dangit.

Still trying to gnaw down Augustine's Confessions. In bits and pieces- going on like 4-6 months, I think. Idk. Lost count.
Shocked What time did you go to sleep!

Have been there, though! With both wanting to read until 4 or 5 AM and trying to get through Augustine! Ha. Smiley Sometimes it isn't good for me to go on reading for that long, because I'm tired, and then the words just kind of mush together after some point. I finished Lisa See's "Shanghai Girls" that way, and to be honest, I can't really remember the second half of the book too well.

But I just HAD to know the ending.

Ah, well, I learned my lesson.

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2056 on: December 01, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »

Yeah, I actually finished both 1984 and Brave New World that way  laugh
brandb

« Reply #2057 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »

Dangit.

Shocked What time did you go to sleep!

Have been there, though! With both wanting to read until 4 or 5 AM and trying to get through Augustine! Ha. Smiley Sometimes it isn't good for me to go on reading for that long, because I'm tired, and then the words just kind of mush together after some point. I finished Lisa See's "Shanghai Girls" that way, and to be honest, I can't really remember the second half of the book too well.

But I just HAD to know the ending.

Ah, well, I learned my lesson.

I forced myself to let go and I went to bed at 3 AM. I've just finished the book (and thus the trilogy). THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW GLORIOUS....

I think I'll keep dragging Augustine out for a while. The 5-10 minutes at a time that I can stand always seems to parellel my life not long after I've read it... but maybe that's just me.  Tongue

Yeah, I actually finished both 1984 and Brave New World that way  laugh

^These novels, FTW. Cool  2nd time I've heard Brave New World referenced today.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:58:47 PM by brandb » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2058 on: December 02, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »

I still haven't finished Clash of Civilizations.  I got to a point that I had enough information to chew on.  On and off I have been reading "The Soviet Experiment" and old text book from college.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2059 on: December 02, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »

"Bloodline," Mark Billingham.

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2060 on: December 03, 2011, 03:10:36 AM »

The Immanence of God, Borden Bowne.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2061 on: December 05, 2011, 12:22:53 AM »

"Jesus of Nazareth" by Pope Benedict XVI

Still good. Smiley

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #2062 on: December 05, 2011, 01:13:58 AM »

Orthodox Dogmatic Theology by Fr Michael Pomazansky.
McB

Faith: Inquirer

« Reply #2063 on: December 05, 2011, 03:36:39 AM »

Me, too.   Smiley
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #2064 on: December 05, 2011, 04:04:54 AM »

Me, too.   Smiley

Everyone should read it. I especially like this paragraph:

This does not mean that the theological exposition of dogmas must take an unalterable form. Each epoch puts forth its own views, ways of understanding, questions, heresies and protests against Christian truth, or else repeats ancient ones which had been forgotten. Theology naturally takes into consideration the inquiries of each age, answers them, and sets forth the dogmatic truths accordingly. In this sense, one may speak about the development of dogmatic theology as a branch of learning. But there are no sufficient grounds for speaking about the development of the Christian teaching of faith itself.
Isadore

Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #2065 on: December 06, 2011, 12:07:02 AM »

Ivan Bunin's short stories.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2066 on: December 07, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »

Me, too.   Smiley

This does not mean that the theological exposition of dogmas must take an unalterable form. Each epoch puts forth its own views, ways of understanding, questions, heresies and protests against Christian truth, or else repeats ancient ones which had been forgotten. Theology naturally takes into consideration the inquiries of each age, answers them, and sets forth the dogmatic truths accordingly. In this sense, one may speak about the development of dogmatic theology as a branch of learning. But there are no sufficient grounds for speaking about the development of the Christian teaching of faith itself.

Can  you please provide a citation for your quote?  Within the next 24 hours would be fantastic.  thank you! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Jonathan Gress
Archon

« Reply #2067 on: December 07, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »

Me, too.   Smiley

Can  you please provide a citation for your quote?  Within the next 24 hours would be fantastic.  thank you! 

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2068 on: December 08, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »

Meir Shalev: My Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum Cleaner: A Family Memoir

--
--
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2069 on: December 08, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »

The Skyrim Prima guidebook.  Wink

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: