Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1463865 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5805 on: July 22, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »

Re-reading.  Actually, just skimming through to get to the good parts.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #5806 on: July 23, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »
^ yeah the part of the book I couldn't stand was the author's autobiography. Like who cares.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5807 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »
Roots of Christian Mysticism by Olivier Clement
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5808 on: July 23, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
Paradise Regained by John Milton
Ambiguum 10 by St Maximus
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5809 on: July 23, 2018, 11:03:51 AM »
^ yeah the part of the book I couldn't stand was the author's autobiography. Like who cares.

I don't care about any of his commentary.  The first time I read it, I disliked it.  The only parts that are worth it are what Father "Maximos" has to say.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5810 on: July 23, 2018, 08:38:04 PM »
Not much. I can't concentrate, because the Keppra I have to take makes me sleep four hours at a go.

I did try to start "Elfsorrow."
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5811 on: July 29, 2018, 12:09:17 AM »
Did an Irish Monk "Discover" America?

https://www.history.com/news/did-an-irish-monk-discover-america

Has anyone every heard of this theory before?

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #5812 on: July 29, 2018, 01:11:30 AM »
Not much. I can't concentrate, because the Keppra I have to take makes me sleep four hours at a go.

I did try to start "Elfsorrow."

My disability puts a huge damper in my reading. I send you commiserations and hope you have better days.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5813 on: July 29, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »

Yes.

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #5814 on: July 29, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »
Reading "The Possessed" by Dostoevsky which is pretty much prophetic of the Russian Revolution and the transitionary period to the modern world. Finished "The Idiot", which is also great and has an excellent Christ-like archetype character (Prince Myshkin) and offers many interesting polemic outbursts like:

It is an unchristian religion, in the first place!' the prince resumed in great agitation and with excessive sharpness. 'That's in the first place, and secondly, Roman Catholicism is even worse than atheism - that's my opinion. Yes, that's my opinion! Atheism merely preaches a negation, but Catholicism goes further: it preaches a distorted Christ, a Christ calumniated and defamed by it, the opposite of Christ! It preaches Antichrist - I swear it does, I assure you it does! This is my personal opinion, an opinion I've held for a long time, and it has worried me a lot myself. ... Roman Catholicism believes that the Church cannot exist on earth without universal temporal power, and cries: Non possumus! In my opinion, Roman Catholicism isn't even a religion, but most decidedly a continuation of the Holy Roman Empire, and everything in it is subordinated to that idea, beginning with faith. The Pope seized the earth, an earthly throne and took up the sword; and since then everything has gone on in the same way, except that they've added lies, fraud, deceit, fanaticism, superstition wickedness. They have trifled with the most sacred, truthful, innocent, ardent feelings of the people, have bartered it all for money, for base temporal power. And isn't this the teaching of Antichrist? Isn't it clear that atheism had to come from them? And it did come from them, from Roman Catholicism itself! Atheism originated first of all with them: how could they believe in themselves? It gained ground because of abhorrence of them; it is the child of their lies and their spiritual impotence! Atheism! In our country it is only the upper classes who do not believe, as Mr Radomsky so splendidly put it the other day, for they have lost their roots. But in Europe vast numbers of the common people are beginning to lose their faith - at first from darkness and lies, and now from fanaticism, hatred of the Church and Christianity!

Good book. Still doesn't beat the Brothers Karamazov.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:35:20 AM by Briven »
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

Current profile picture:  Guardian Angel, St. Andrew the Apostle

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5815 on: July 29, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »
Charles Montgomery, The Last Heathen: Encounters with Ghosts and Ancestors in Melanesia, 2004.

"In 1892, the Bishop of Tasmania set sail for Melanesia with the intent of rescuing islanders from lives of fear, black magic and cannibalism. Over 100 years later, his great grandson, Charles Montgomery, followed the bishop's route through the South Pacific, seeking out the spirits and myths his missionary forebear had sought to destroy."
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5816 on: July 29, 2018, 03:06:48 PM »

Yes.
What do you think about it?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5817 on: July 29, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Reading "The Possessed" by Dostoevsky which is pretty much prophetic of the Russian Revolution and the transitionary period to the modern world. Finished "The Idiot", which is also great and has an excellent Christ-like archetype character (Prince Myshkin) and offers many interesting polemic outbursts like:

It is an unchristian religion, in the first place!' the prince resumed in great agitation and with excessive sharpness. 'That's in the first place, and secondly, Roman Catholicism is even worse than atheism - that's my opinion. Yes, that's my opinion! Atheism merely preaches a negation, but Catholicism goes further: it preaches a distorted Christ, a Christ calumniated and defamed by it, the opposite of Christ! It preaches Antichrist - I swear it does, I assure you it does! This is my personal opinion, an opinion I've held for a long time, and it has worried me a lot myself. ... Roman Catholicism believes that the Church cannot exist on earth without universal temporal power, and cries: Non possumus! In my opinion, Roman Catholicism isn't even a religion, but most decidedly a continuation of the Holy Roman Empire, and everything in it is subordinated to that idea, beginning with faith. The Pope seized the earth, an earthly throne and took up the sword; and since then everything has gone on in the same way, except that they've added lies, fraud, deceit, fanaticism, superstition wickedness. They have trifled with the most sacred, truthful, innocent, ardent feelings of the people, have bartered it all for money, for base temporal power. And isn't this the teaching of Antichrist? Isn't it clear that atheism had to come from them? And it did come from them, from Roman Catholicism itself! Atheism originated first of all with them: how could they believe in themselves? It gained ground because of abhorrence of them; it is the child of their lies and their spiritual impotence! Atheism! In our country it is only the upper classes who do not believe, as Mr Radomsky so splendidly put it the other day, for they have lost their roots. But in Europe vast numbers of the common people are beginning to lose their faith - at first from darkness and lies, and now from fanaticism, hatred of the Church and Christianity!

Drivel.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5818 on: July 29, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »

Yes.
What do you think about it?

It's in the realm of possibility.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5819 on: July 29, 2018, 05:42:14 PM »
Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes a great electric bill."
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5820 on: July 29, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
Just finished Death on the Nile / Agatha Christie.  Toward the end, I could not put it down.

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #5821 on: July 29, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »

Drivel.

Yes, I'm sure one of the greatest Russian authors writes drivel. I didn't say it was wholly fantastic and correct - after all, it is an epileptic's polemic - I just said it was interesting, which it is.

After all, isn't it the Church Father's teaching that heresy teaches a distorted Christ? All we see that is fluff is the anti western opinions that Dostoevsky puts in due to his slavophile associations.

“God,”
The words rumbled:

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5822 on: July 29, 2018, 11:16:50 PM »

Yes, I'm sure one of the greatest Russian authors writes drivel.

Even the greats have off days.*

*Written with the full acknowledgement that I have not read the work in question.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5823 on: July 30, 2018, 01:15:23 AM »
Who cares where he was from?

Yes, you pretty much did recommend it, or you wouldn't have quoted it.

It's drivel.

My parents are not the Antichrist.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5824 on: July 30, 2018, 06:25:28 AM »

It's drivel.

It's high-selling book and Briven enjoyed it, therefore by your standards it is good.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #5825 on: July 30, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »

It's drivel.

Biro, I didn't say that and nor did Dostoevsky. One of his characters with slavophilic opinions said that the Roman Catholic Church could be compared to the Antichrist. No need to apply a strawman to me.

Dostoevsky certainly isn't drivel, he is widely sold and widely considered by critics and laypeople as an excellent author.
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #5826 on: July 30, 2018, 01:46:45 PM »

It's drivel.

Dostoevsky wrote a book about your parents?  Yo, how old are they?!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5827 on: July 30, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »

It's drivel.

It's high-selling book and Briven enjoyed it, therefore by your standards it is good.

Not true.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5828 on: July 30, 2018, 02:19:06 PM »
What is Dostoevsky's worst book and why? Or rather your least favorite of his?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:19:52 PM by RobS »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5829 on: July 30, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »
What is Dostoevsky's worst book and why?

Naked Came the Executioner
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5830 on: July 30, 2018, 02:52:58 PM »
A bad book by Dostoevsky? Western lies!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #5831 on: July 30, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »

I found Crime and Punishment kind of dull and it didn't really make me cry at the end, the strange metric by which I measure my favorite books. It was entertaining but Raskolnikov was so unlikeable.
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #5832 on: July 30, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #5833 on: July 30, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov

The quintessential Dostoevsky--interesting insights interspersed with heavy-handed philosophy/theology, sensationalized psychological states, obnoxious (and usually hypocritical) moralizing, and many very long and boring passages.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5834 on: July 30, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »

That's odd, I just got the same book at HPB last week...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #5835 on: July 30, 2018, 09:45:53 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov

The quintessential Dostoevsky--interesting insights interspersed with heavy-handed philosophy/theology, sensationalized psychological states, obnoxious (and usually hypocritical) moralizing, and many very long and boring passages.

IOW, this forum.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #5836 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »

That's odd, I just got the same book at HPB last week...

HPB?

Hope you like it... so far, I have.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:47:38 PM by Asteriktos »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #5837 on: July 30, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov

IOW, this forum.

If "it takes one to know one," my assessment of Dostoevsky is infallible.  8)

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5838 on: July 30, 2018, 10:00:57 PM »

It's drivel.

Not true.

Nuh-uh

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5839 on: July 31, 2018, 11:32:29 PM »
IOW, this forum.
Are you implying your participation in the foundation of OCnet was actually just an experiment involving the application of Dostoevskian polyphonic discourse into internet language? Nice.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5840 on: August 01, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
HPB?

Hope you like it... so far, I have.

Half-Priced Books. And yeah I'm enjoying it.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5841 on: August 02, 2018, 02:51:58 PM »
I find it curious that in "The Arena", St. Ignatius first descriptions of when monks/bishops sin come from sexual temptations. He never begins with pride, or sloth, or greed, etc. I wonder if that's because how easily a monk can slip into lust vs. other sins.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5842 on: August 02, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5843 on: August 02, 2018, 11:58:59 PM »
I recently read a story in the Lives of the Saints where a monk fell in love with a beautiful woman and then beat himself to death with a large stone as an act of "repentance." Stories like this really disturb me. First of all, it seems to portray women as the greatest source of temptation and evil. Secondly, beating oneself to death is an act of suicide, which is undisputedly condemned by the Church. I don't like to question writings of Church tradition, but I confess that I am bothered by stories such as this.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5844 on: August 03, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »
I recently read a story in the Lives of the Saints where a monk fell in love with a beautiful woman and then beat himself to death with a large stone as an act of "repentance." Stories like this really disturb me. First of all, it seems to portray women as the greatest source of temptation and evil. Secondly, beating oneself to death is an act of suicide, which is undisputedly condemned by the Church. I don't like to question writings of Church tradition, but I confess that I am bothered by stories such as this.

Selam
Where can I read this story?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #5845 on: August 03, 2018, 04:40:41 PM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #5846 on: August 03, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »
I've read, quite recently translated into Polish "Cassandra's Path, or Adventures with Macaroni" (Russian original "Путь Кассандры, или Приключения с макаронами") by Julia Voznesenskaya. Interesting plot and vision of the last days of this world. It gives a lot food for thought - about the seeds of various sins and world catastrophe.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #5847 on: August 04, 2018, 03:10:16 PM »

It's about a girl who grews up in a Finnish Communist family back in the days when Communism was still a thing and people actually believed in it with all the ardour and naivete. Super nostalgic even for me despite the fact that my family was fairly apolitical.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5848 on: August 04, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »
I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5849 on: August 04, 2018, 09:00:56 PM »
I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

D'oh you had me there!