Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1383102 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5670 on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:41 PM »
This new Tiger Woods biography. He's an even bigger jerk than I realized, and yet learning about his upbringing sheds a lot of light on why. Makes me feel sorry for him in many ways. Both of his parents were real pieces of work. But still, some of the ways Tiger treated other people are simply inexcusable. He's basically always been a narcissistic, self-absorbed, spoiled brat. A very interesting read.

Selam
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:52:26 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Mike
« Reply #5671 on: April 16, 2018, 11:49:15 PM »
I'm reading the book of Job again. I was pretty sure that I had read it twice, but it has a different ending that I remembered.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:49:33 PM by mcarmichael »
"If God is for us, who can be against us?" - St. Paul the Apostle
"Just hang on!" - Luke Skywalker
"Do not worry about tomorrow..." - Jesus

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5672 on: April 18, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5673 on: April 25, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »

Mexico has not yet paid me for this, though it was only $3 at Ollie's so it's not a big deal.

Offline Saxon

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #5674 on: April 25, 2018, 06:51:51 PM »
Life of St. Columba by Adomnán. As it's the Penguin Classics edition, I'm currently slogging my way through Richard Sharpe's 70-page introduction where he casts doubt on the historicity of the work and relegates it mostly to Christian and cultural "myth". Still, I'm not well-versed on the state of Scotland or the Celtic church of the time, so I've decided not to skip it.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5675 on: April 27, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »
Currently a huge manual with everything a Regional Labour Court technician should know: Portuguese, court ethics, disabled rights, administrative and labour law. It's a nice read, I'll enjoy studying to become a technician even if I don't make it.

Life of St. Columba by Adomnán. As it's the Penguin Classics edition, I'm currently slogging my way through Richard Sharpe's 70-page introduction where he casts doubt on the historicity of the work and relegates it mostly to Christian and cultural "myth". Still, I'm not well-versed on the state of Scotland or the Celtic church of the time, so I've decided not to skip it.
Some folks try to apply an irrationally exaggerated rigour to study times for which sources are scarce, therefore doubting the few sources left, specially when such sources are religious.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5676 on: April 28, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5677 on: May 02, 2018, 09:59:35 AM »

About 1/3 through right now. Really engrossing. One thing making this battle interesting is the number of firsthand accounts, both by Chinese and Japanese military personnel and the wide array of foreign civilian observers- German, British, American, Russian, etc.- because both sides made a point of leaving the foreign concessions alone.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:18:38 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5680 on: May 03, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »

About a third of the way through. Hopefully this becomes more substantive, otherwise it's just the story of a mentally unbalanced adulterer with a nearly-perfect husband who knows she's doing horrible things but hopes that name dropping mystics and philosophers and dwelling on, like, totally deep thoughts and stuff (in quotable tidbit size), will make things better somehow.

Offline Maximilian

• Quasicatholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Frankfurt and all Germany
« Reply #5681 on: May 06, 2018, 08:28:59 AM »
The Innocence of Father Brown, by G. K. Chesterton.

It's a little too 'trad' for me so far, but as a guilty pleasure it works OK.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5682 on: May 06, 2018, 08:03:09 PM »
Right now, I'm studying labour law ethics. More interesting than it sounds.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5683 on: May 06, 2018, 08:15:46 PM »
Right now, I'm studying labour law ethics. More interesting than it sounds.

It does sound interesting, yeah. I think it would just make me angry, though.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5684 on: May 06, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »
In the US, most probably...  :-\

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5685 on: May 10, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
Addison Hart's "The Ox-Herder and the Good Shepherd."

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #5686 on: May 10, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »
Gulag Archipelago abridged
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5687 on: May 11, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »
My daughter, actually: The Action Bible.  I'm not sure how I feel about (and haven't read it myself), so I'll refrain from yelling and waving my arms.  I just told her to treat it like the rest of her entertainment.   :-X
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5688 on: May 11, 2018, 02:32:38 PM »
Still re-reading "The Hobbit."
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5689 on: May 11, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
The Shadow of the Torturer, by Gene Wolfe. Has anyone else read this book/ series?
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5690 on: May 11, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »
The Shadow of the Torturer, by Gene Wolfe. Has anyone else read this book/ series?

I have the omnibus edition on my Kindle, but haven't got around to reading it yet. Wolfe's writing style, judging by the few short stories I've read, can be a bit of an acquired taste.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5691 on: May 11, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »
Still re-reading "The Hobbit."

I re-read Fellowship this spring.

As someone who works with honing copy down, I came to the conclusion that, if someone was to print an abridged version of the book, Peter Jackson's edits for his screen adaptations were exactly the right ones.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5692 on: May 11, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »

I have the omnibus edition on my Kindle, but haven't got around to reading it yet. Wolfe's writing style, judging by the few short stories I've read, can be a bit of an acquired taste.

This is one of the beautifully written books I've read in any genre. I wish I'd read these years ago.
- Berdyaev

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5693 on: May 11, 2018, 05:18:04 PM »
My daughter, actually: The Action Bible.  I'm not sure how I feel about (and haven't read it myself), so I'll refrain from yelling and waving my arms.  I just told her to treat it like the rest of her entertainment.   :-X

I'm not opposed in principle to comics based on the Bible (R. Crumb's version of Genesis is interesting, if obviously written from a skeptic's POV), even ones with generic-looking pseudo-manga art. But I have a hard time believing that anything billing itself as "The Action Bible" can have much value.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5694 on: May 11, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »

I'm not opposed in principle to comics based on the Bible (R. Crumb's version of Genesis is interesting, if obviously written from a skeptic's POV), even ones with generic-looking pseudo-manga art. But I have a hard time believing that anything billing itself as "The Action Bible" can have much value.
Well I think it wants to basically be a children's type Bible, except in graphic novel form.  I'm such a curmudgeon that I don't actually love children's Bibles, either.  But that's just me, and I don't feel strongly enough to tell her she can't check it out from the library.  A lot of insinuation can occur in paraphrasing, though.  So, idk.  I'll have to have a look.  She's read Bone I don't know how many times, and I guess I should find that more offensive than something based on the Bible, but I find my inclinations are the inverse of that for whatever reason.   ???

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Mt. Lathos
« Reply #5695 on: May 11, 2018, 09:07:42 PM »
Finished The Case for Jesus, and am working through The Heresy of Orthodoxy. I'm realizing that the second is something like a larger Evangelical version of the first. Having completed the former, I highly recommend it.
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5696 on: May 11, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »

Well I think it wants to basically be a children's type Bible, except in graphic novel form.  I'm such a curmudgeon that I don't actually love children's Bibles, either.  But that's just me, and I don't feel strongly enough to tell her she can't check it out from the library.  A lot of insinuation can occur in paraphrasing, though.  So, idk.  I'll have to have a look.  She's read Bone I don't know how many times, and I guess I should find that more offensive than something based on the Bible, but I find my inclinations are the inverse of that for whatever reason.   ???

I wish my parents would have let me read Bone as a kid lol. I mean, the opportunity never came up, but I'm assuming they wouldn't have.

I guess in general telling a kid they can't have something just creates a forbidden fruit effect, that's how it was with me anyway. Of course, I don't have kids. I guess if you're concerned, you can talk to her about it. Let her know that sometimes translators get things wrong by mistake and that she should be careful with what she reads (I mean, assuming that won't just go over her head, I don't know how old she is).

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5697 on: May 11, 2018, 10:54:10 PM »

I wish my parents would have let me read Bone as a kid lol. I mean, the opportunity never came up, but I'm assuming they wouldn't have.

I guess in general telling a kid they can't have something just creates a forbidden fruit effect, that's how it was with me anyway. Of course, I don't have kids. I guess if you're concerned, you can talk to her about it. Let her know that sometimes translators get things wrong by mistake and that she should be careful with what she reads (I mean, assuming that won't just go over her head, I don't know how old she is).
Well I'd have to read it myself to say much intelligent beyond, "Treat it like the rest of your entertainment" (meaning we don't allow it to inform our thoughts, words, or deeds).  I don't worry much about things going over their heads, but a discussion about translations and paraphrases wouldn't go over hers anyway; she's 12 and it's not a new subject.  I just don't know if this particular one has a slant, and if so what (until I read it).  Plus the idea in general feels like taking Holy Scripture out of its proper place.

I was a lot stricter with content when they were younger, though, for what it's worth.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5698 on: May 11, 2018, 11:22:39 PM »
David C. Cook is the publisher, looks like generic evangelicals (the dust jacket quotes from the website are all from nondenom churches with nightclub names) and Southern Baptists. The "author" (Wikipedia's words), Doug Mauss looks to be an ELCA youth pastor. So maybe a tad liberal, but I'm guessing it would more likely be "too paranoid about offending somebody from either side of the isle to say anything more than the most anondyne sentiments." It's also sold by Answers in Genesis, though #excusemewhileipuketillthesunexplodes

Huh, they also offer a version that uses ESV text.

I think the thing that offends me most so far is that Sergio Cariello is just kind of a boring, Marvel House Style artist. The Bible should be rendered by Ben Templesmith or Mike Mignola or Bill Sienkiewicz, somebody who can capture the otherworldly (or at least the paintings of Alex Ross). Now THAT would have set twelve year-old me's Christian imagination on fire lol!

Err, I didn't mean to imply that you were too strict or something. Just musing out loud.

I agree, that it would be a lot better if it were just a set of adaptations of Bible stories. I don't like it either when an interpretive work is marketed as being a Bible. I think there's a distinction.

I guess you can get free samples of their parent and teacher stuff off the website http://www.theactionbible.com/action-bible-curriculum/

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5699 on: May 12, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
Err, I didn't mean to imply that you were too strict or something. Just musing out loud.
Oh I know!  Sorry that wasn't clear.  Just pointing out that Bone wouldn't have been available to her when she was 8 or something.  Which is good, because reading Bone led her to read Moby Dick, and I'm not sure she would have stuck it out at 8.  ;)

I haven't heard of that publishing company.  But knowing how I do library books, it'll probably be around for a couple of months.  The lesson plans would probably just annoy me.  :angel:

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5700 on: May 12, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
Human Man/Messiah Jesus . . .
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Mike
« Reply #5701 on: May 13, 2018, 08:37:49 PM »
I have completed my study of existentialism. Now I am reading Kurt Vonnegut' s "Player Piano". Which isn't about existentialism.
"If God is for us, who can be against us?" - St. Paul the Apostle
"Just hang on!" - Luke Skywalker
"Do not worry about tomorrow..." - Jesus

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5702 on: May 14, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »
What did you read? Kierkegaard? Heidegger?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5703 on: May 14, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »

"Niccolucio, a young Florentine Carthusian monk, leads a devout life until the Black Death kills all of his brothers, leaving him alone and filled with doubt. Habidah, an anthropologist from another universe racked by plague, is overwhelmed by the suffering. Unable to maintain her observer neutrality, she saves Niccolucio from the brink of death. Habidah discovers that neither her home's plague nor her assignment on Niccolucio's world are as she's been led to believe. Suddenly the pair are drawn into a worlds-spanning conspiracy to topple an empire larger than the human imagination can contain."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5704 on: May 14, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »
You'd think the last place an anthropologist from plague world would want to visit would be the Black Death.

How is it? I'm always on the look out for sci-fi that includes Christian characters without being either a disguised sermon or a hatchet job. The Sparrow and its sequel Children of God by Mary Doria Russell are both pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:46:37 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #5705 on: May 14, 2018, 09:52:42 PM »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5706 on: May 15, 2018, 02:48:28 AM »
The True Mermaids

http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2013/06/27/the-true-mermaids/

I'm not sure they care given the number of cryptid shows they also air.

It's a shame, it could have been fun schlocky sci-fi if it were just on a different channel.

That is pretty cool about the lizards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:49:01 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5707 on: May 25, 2018, 06:14:19 AM »

Parody, down to the last detail. There is explicit sex, but it, like everything else about the book, is hysterically funny.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5708 on: May 25, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
What's the point of a funny pen name if you're going to spoil it two lines later?

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5709 on: May 25, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
What's the point of a funny pen name if you're going to spoil it two lines later?

A guy being behind it adds an extra layer of funny, especially for anyone familiar with Blackadder.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5710 on: May 25, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
Probably humor.  I looked at it and smiled when I saw it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5711 on: May 25, 2018, 04:09:25 PM »

Possibly also a joke aimed at how the original Fifty was written by one author, but since it started as a Twilight fan fiction you could argue that it should be partly credited to an entirely different author.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5712 on: May 25, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »

A guy being behind it adds an extra layer of funny, especially for anyone familiar with Blackadder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ZuapDOBbM

03:40-06:20 is where it's at.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:20:53 PM by Arachne »

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5713 on: May 25, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »

I know the episode. I just think it's kind pointless to immediately spoil on the cover that it's a guy writing. Makes it less funny.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5714 on: May 25, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »

I know the episode. I just think it's kind pointless to immediately spoil on the cover that it's a guy writing. Makes it less funny.

Why?

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~