Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1085309 times)

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5535 on: November 16, 2017, 12:52:42 PM »
I find the Lattimore translation to be roughly just-ok. I guess +1 to the already long list of times I've been oblivious to good art   8)
It's more of my preference in daily reading the Gospels as long flowing narratives, instead of it broken up by chapter/verse. For serious study I'll get some other translations. But for daily use these paragraph style Bibles are excellent.

One of my favorite things about the Lattimore is how he lets the individual voices shine through.

I used to have a copy of Lattomire's NT bundled with three other less mainstream translations. It fell apart (the pages literally separated from the spine; it was a really terrible binding job) and I didn't bother to look for it again since it had just come to me through circumstance in the first place. I'm kind of wishing I had now.

Are you talking about the paperback one with the black cover? Yeah the binding is garbage lol.

What were the other 3 less mainstream translations?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:55:39 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5536 on: November 16, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5537 on: November 16, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »
Porter I need your help please. Is Robert Alter's single volume of Genesis the same translation found in his Five Books of Moses?

Yes, naturally it's the same, as his The David Story is the same translation of the books of the Kings as in Ancient Israel: the Former Propehts. The different editions available is just an artifact of the publishing process: at times, as his work became ready, the publisher would release single volumes, but then later release the larger, more comprehensive volumes as originally planned. You'll also find some different covers and bindings available for some books.

Also, since you agree with me that Lattimore's NT and Alter's translations are excellent do you have any other recommendations?

Seriously Lattimore's is a treasure, it's like reading the Scriptures with fresh eyes. The Gospels are so much clearer if that makes sense.

I mentioned E.V. Rieu's Gospels, better than Lattimore if that were possible. However, he's been out of print for years. As the work has passed into the public domain in the U.S., I'm thinking of typing up a digital, free version and I can then link it here with administrative permission.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5538 on: November 16, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »
Yes, naturally it's the same, as his The David Story is the same translation of the books of the Kings as in Ancient Israel: the Former Propehts. The different editions available is just an artifact of the publishing process: at times, as his work became ready, the publisher would release single volumes, but then later release the larger, more comprehensive volumes as originally planned. You'll also find some different covers and bindings available for some books.
Great, thank you.

I mentioned E.V. Rieu's Gospels, better than Lattimore if that were possible. However, he's been out of print for years. As the work has passed into the public domain in the U.S., I'm thinking of typing up a digital, free version and I can then link it here with administrative permission.
I'd be glad to compensate you via PayPal for the time it would take to type it up. Let me know.

Appreciate you responding.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5539 on: November 16, 2017, 03:22:05 PM »
What were the other 3 less mainstream translations?

I misspoke earlier. I did have the Lattimore translation (I remembered it because at the time I got it I lived on Lattimore Plantation Drive), but the specific four-translation volume I was thinking of had the KJV, the NASB, William Beck's NT and Charles Williams' NT. Beck's translation eventually morphed into the "God's Word" Bible.

So now is the question of where the missing Lattimore Bible is. There are only so many places 140 miles apart that it could be.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:22:23 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5540 on: November 17, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »
Iconodule, I found the entire Christ the Eternal Tao online:

https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/world/christ-the-eternal-tao/

Includes all the pictures from the book. The pictures of Christ's life used, for example here: https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/world/christ-the-eternal-tao/3_84 , can I call that iconography? I love them. Any other Chinese iconography in color like this?

Fascinating bit on "nothingness", but I don't have the time to read this book fully yet.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5541 on: November 17, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »
Iconodule, I found the entire Christ the Eternal Tao online:

Whoever edited and formatted this thing needs to get sacked and never work again, unless they actually learn how to do it. Properly done (i.e. without each endnote on a separate page and a duplicate index), the file would have been about half as long.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5542 on: November 17, 2017, 04:15:13 PM »
footnotes > endnotes
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5543 on: November 17, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
footnotes > endnotes

Search the scriptures, and you will find this is true.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5544 on: November 17, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
footnotes > endnotes

Search the scriptures, and you will find this is true.
Lol +1

Offline Ray1

• May Justice Prevail.
  • Faith: Atheist
« Reply #5545 on: November 17, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
Why We Believe in God(s). A Concise Guide To The Science oF Faith by J. Anderson Thomson with Claire Aukofer, foreword by Richard Dawkins.

It is a short book but very good, it showed me why I still have the urge to believe in a God or Gods, regardless of all the intellectual reasons to not believe in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:25:00 PM by Ray1 »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #5546 on: November 17, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
Why We Believe in God(s). A Concise Guide To The Science oF Faith by J. Anderson Thomson with Claire Aukofer, foreword by Richard Dawkins.

It is a short book but very good, it showed me why I still have the urge to believe in a God or Gods, regardless of all the intellectual reasons to not believe in the first place.
:snore:
To my shame, I may have been very drunk when I wrote this.

"Learn meditation." - Anonymous

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5547 on: November 17, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
Finished volume two of the three-volume set:  Jeremiah : a new translation with introduction and commentary / Jack R. Lundbom.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5548 on: November 17, 2017, 09:11:08 PM »
Goodman, M. (2015). Maimonides and the Book That Changed Judaism: Secrets of The Guide for the Perplexed. (R.Y. Sinclair, Trans.). Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The Jewish Publication Society.

"The prophet is a blend of saint, artist, and philosopher."
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5549 on: November 17, 2017, 11:27:36 PM »

Well then that's good.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5550 on: November 17, 2017, 11:28:13 PM »
Finished volume two of the three-volume set:  Jeremiah : a new translation with introduction and commentary / Jack R. Lundbom.

Sounds very interesting. Three volumes? So what's your reaction so far?

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5551 on: November 17, 2017, 11:32:04 PM »
Porter, have you picked up DBH's new translation of the NT? I didn't like it at first but I'm slowly warming to it.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5552 on: November 17, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »
Porter, have you picked up DBH's new translation of the NT? I didn't like it at first but I'm slowly warming to it.

Since I consider the man a hack and unstable, no.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5553 on: November 18, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »

Since I consider the man a hack and unstable, no.
I have similar suspicions but why do you consider him a hack?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:08:44 PM by RobS »

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5554 on: November 18, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »

The author says that anyone undertaking a commentary on Jeremiah has a huge job ahead, and I believe him.  St. Jerome only made it to chapter 32 before he passed on.  Jeremiah is a big book, and there are a lot of questions about how it was put together and of course why the Masoretic text differs from the Septuagint.  It is interesting as to how Jeremiah is put together, and the author points out places that use Chiasmus.  When there are differences between the Masoretic text and Septuagint, the author usually prefers the longer readings.  The shorter readings are usually (but not always) in the Septuagint.  The author attributes most of them to haplography.  Maybe that was the case, but it leaves me wondering if there are other factors involved.  If you want to read more ideas about the differences between the Masoretic texts and Septuagint, I would read McKane or Holladay.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:40:00 PM by Luke »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5555 on: November 19, 2017, 05:24:20 AM »
The Field: Cultivating Salvation, by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov
At the Sign of the Cat & Racket, by Honore de Balzac

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5556 on: November 20, 2017, 02:21:45 AM »
Christ the conqueror of hell : the descent into Hades from an Orthodox perspective / Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5557 on: November 21, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
Justin, what are some good texts to start reading Berdayev?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5558 on: November 21, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »

The author says that anyone undertaking a commentary on Jeremiah has a huge job ahead, and I believe him.  St. Jerome only made it to chapter 32 before he passed on.  Jeremiah is a big book, and there are a lot of questions about how it was put together and of course why the Masoretic text differs from the Septuagint.  It is interesting as to how Jeremiah is put together, and the author points out places that use Chiasmus.  When there are differences between the Masoretic text and Septuagint, the author usually prefers the longer readings.  The shorter readings are usually (but not always) in the Septuagint.  The author attributes most of them to haplography.  Maybe that was the case, but it leaves me wondering if there are other factors involved.  If you want to read more ideas about the differences between the Masoretic texts and Septuagint, I would read McKane or Holladay.

Fascinating. Thank you.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5559 on: November 23, 2017, 04:04:38 AM »
Justin, what are some good texts to start reading Berdayev?

I'm afraid I haven't read nearly enough of him to answer that. There're a couple good sites that provide excerpts, quotes, articles and bibliographies though (such as here and here), and I'd think those would be better at giving some indication of where to start with him, based on what you're looking for. Perhaps there is a 'must read' or 'start here' text with him, but if there is I haven't yet read it or heard it described as such. 

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5560 on: November 23, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »
A textual history of the King James Bible / David Norton.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5561 on: November 23, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »
A textual history of the King James Bible / David Norton.

Excellent!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5562 on: November 30, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
Three Blind Mice, by Agatha Christie

I must have read this in school, and many other stories like it, but I remember almost none of them  :-X

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5563 on: November 30, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
By myself:

With the young one:

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5564 on: December 03, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »
Thompson Chain-Reference Bible, KJV edition

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5565 on: December 04, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
United States - Certain Country of Origin Labelling (COOL) Requirements - Recourse to article 22.6 of the DSU by the United States - Decision by the arbitrator
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5566 on: December 05, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5567 on: December 05, 2017, 05:25:05 PM »

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5568 on: December 05, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
My holiday reading.  :)

Selam
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:49:39 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5569 on: December 05, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
Brown, Dan. (2017). Origin: A Novel. New York, NY: Doubleday.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5570 on: December 08, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5571 on: December 08, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy, revised and expanded.

I am on page 119 at the start of the reformed churches. I learned a few things that I did not know about Roman Catholics. I got depressed between pages 99-118, so I am taking a break.

I am still trying to figure out what the underlined superscripted (o or 0) means in heterodoxy.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5572 on: December 08, 2017, 10:53:50 PM »
The Disaster Artist
The Dictator Pope

Should be a fun weekend  :P

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5573 on: December 10, 2017, 04:15:06 PM »
Witnessing the Kingdom: Studies in New Testament History and Theology, by Fr. John McGuckin

(tip of the hat to Mor Ephrem for bringing this 3 volume collection to my attention)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:15:23 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Stepan

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #5574 on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »
Just finished reading Fr. Andrew Damick's "Introduction to God". The conversational style reminds me a bit of C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. Reading it with my family now.
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #5575 on: December 12, 2017, 02:03:13 AM »
Agatha Christie's first "Poirot".

I generally avoid female authors, however I read one of her later "Poirot's", and it was generally highly satisfactory. I probably won't read her Miss Marples series.

Well.... and I've yet to get into it. It isn't immediately entertaining. Somehow she managed to sell it, however, so I will continue to plod onwards!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:17:03 AM by mcarmichael »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #5576 on: December 12, 2017, 02:24:30 AM »
Before that, I read "The Apology of Socrates", by Plato.

I had some thoughts about that, also.
Did Socrates serve God? If so, could Socrates be saved? If so, how was Socrates saved?
These are all very confusing thoughts for a very Old Protestant (I'll be 42 come August 28, 2018.)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5577 on: December 12, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »
Rich Dad, Poor Dad, by Rober Kiyosaki. The book feels a bit stupid, but I felt I had to read it.

Before that, I read "The Apology of Socrates", by Plato.

I had some thoughts about that, also.
Did Socrates serve God? If so, could Socrates be saved? If so, how was Socrates saved?
These are all very confusing thoughts for a very Old Protestant (I'll be 42 come August 28, 2018.)
Amazing book. I believe Socrates was a very holy man, even though he was far from God's main revelation in Israel. I believe there's a saint who said Plato was the first Pagan to convert in the descent of Christ to Hades.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5578 on: December 13, 2017, 12:15:50 PM »
Do Not Judge: Understanding the Vice of Passing Judgment by Hieromonk Gregorios- a very nice little booklet in his spiritual life series.
Burning Your Boats: The Collected Short Stories by Angela Carter- amazing, sparkling, and really, really dark. A great successor of Poe.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
« Reply #5579 on: December 13, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Do Not Judge: Understanding the Vice of Passing Judgment by Hieromonk Gregorios- a very nice little booklet in his spiritual life series.
He has excellent material!
For our impious, godless, and faithless rulers, the persecutors of our holy Faith and Fatherland, the members of our parliament who hate and wrong us, and for their repentance, let us pray to the Lord.
--Petition, Kalavrytan Rite

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4