Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1082058 times)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5490 on: October 15, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
For a bit of self torture I'm reading The Myth of the Twentieth Century an old theology book that either was Nazi or influenced /  officially approved by the Nazis'  I don't know how far I can get in it, frankly it's about as obnoxious as most of this kind of "philosophy" or theology that started in the mid 1800's and carries on down to the present day.  They are all interchangeable to me at this point, and I have not now, nor have I understood what gets these people all amped up.  Maybe I don't have enough"Nordic Blood" in me, and am of a lower blooded or ordered soul...anyway it's all hipster doofus stuff.  This German / French philo-theology strand is just Madam Blavatsky for a more refined Salon culture to me, I guess this book though is probably bottom of the barrel even for that... but frankly it's at least less dry and much more clear than goofballs like Hegel or Heidegger. 

The authors name is Alfred Rosenberg who came from a  "bourgeois Jewish family" so this must be his rebellion.  Before this I used to consider one of the best examples of a "self hating Jew"  in this culture was Otto Weinegar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Weininger

he was an ultra-misogynist who thought "Jewishness" was too feminine.  He got into all this Madame Blavatsky style culture and reasoning as well, then he killed himself.

Anyway, strange stuff.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:45:51 PM by William T »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5491 on: October 16, 2017, 03:26:06 PM »
Christ the Conqueror of Hell: The Descent into Hades from an Orthodox Perspective, by Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #5492 on: October 16, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »
Christ the Conqueror of Hell: The Descent into Hades from an Orthodox Perspective, by Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev

Is this going to be the next "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future"?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5493 on: October 19, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K Dick
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
« Reply #5494 on: October 19, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
Has anyone read The Way, by Fr. George Metallinos?

To contribute to this thread, I am currently reading The Brothers Karamazov and Saint Nektarios: The Saint of Our Century.
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5495 on: October 19, 2017, 11:17:53 AM »
I am currently reading The Brothers Karamazov
First time reading it? I'd like to start reading the Idiot soon. I've read TBK 3 times.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5496 on: October 19, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »
I am currently reading The Brothers Karamazov
First time reading it? I'd like to start reading the Idiot soon. I've read TBK 3 times.
Second. I haven't read The Idiot or Crime and Punishment, but they're both on the list!
Somewhere on Athos, Antonis groans, and the skulls of the holy brethren with him!

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5497 on: October 20, 2017, 07:46:13 PM »
Getting into the spirit of the season.

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5498 on: October 20, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
I am as well:

(iconodule recommended one of the short stories in the volume, Count Magnus)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5499 on: October 20, 2017, 09:06:56 PM »
I am as well:

Count Magnus is a single short story, and it's not in that graphic novel (which is really good, regardless). The Count Magnus adaptation is in volume 2.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5500 on: October 20, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
Not sure if the cover is causing the problem or what, but what I have on my kindle is a collection of short stories, and (I just checked) Lord Magnus is the next story I'll come to (I'm currently on one titled Number 13). I grabbed that image off the amazon page that I bought it from, but perhaps the cover is actually for a different product than what the page is actually for?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #5501 on: October 20, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
Not sure if the cover is causing the problem or what, but what I have on my kindle is a collection of short stories, and (I just checked) Lord Magnus is the next story I'll come to (I'm currently on one titled Number 13). I grabbed that image off the amazon page that I bought it from, but perhaps the cover is actually for a different product than what the page is actually for?

Ah, ok.

Yeah, that's the cover of the first volume of the graphic novel adaptation of Ghost Stories of an Antiquary.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #5502 on: October 20, 2017, 11:08:39 PM »
Cicero's De Amicitia with my students.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5503 on: October 23, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »
Theatrical Shows and Ascetic Lives: John Chrysostom's Attack on Spiritual Marriage, by Blake Leyerle

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5504 on: October 23, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »

In the spirit of the season, I thought I’d share some of my favorite nonfiction books that deal with the themes of horror and spiritual warfare. Let me know if you have questions about any of these books, or if you’d like for me to recommend something specific from this selection.

I should also mention that the best book on spiritual warfare that I've ever read (apart from the sacred scriptures) is "Life of Anthony" by St. Athanasius. You can find a PDF file of the book at this link: http://www.stmarkchicago.org/St-Anthony-The-Great.pdf

Also, in the spirit of the season, I encourage you to please share here some of your favorite books that deal with these same themes.

With the righteous fire of Christ, let us burn out the hellish light of Lucifer!

“Christ gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father.” [Galatians 1:4]

“The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.” [I John 3:8]

“The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.” [Romans 16:20]

“He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son.” [Colossians 1:13]

“And He said to them, ‘I beheld Satan fall from heaven like lightning.’” [St. Luke 10:18]

"Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.” [St. John 12:31]

“And concerning judgment, the ruler of this world has already been judged.” [St. John 16:11]

“For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” [Romans 8:38-39]

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #5505 on: October 27, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy  - Eric Metaxas

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5506 on: October 29, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
Does anyone know of a book that explores Migne and his publishing work, but which is meatier than God's Plagiarist: Being an Account of the Fabulous Industry and Irregular Commerce of the Abbe Migne?

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5507 on: October 30, 2017, 10:10:11 AM »
Kind of all over the map lately...

St. Silouan the Athonite - still reading this one, the spiritual struggles I'm going through are the same ones St. Silouan suffered in the beginning when he arrived at Mt. Athos. I'm getting a lot out of this book spiritually.

Pascal's Pensees - reading this in bits still

Heidegger's Being and Time - reading this for the first time in the Mac/Rob translation (only read intro and a few chaps in Stambaugh). I read Macquarrie's Existentialism book a few months ago which I liked a lot so thought I'd give his co-translation of BT a try.

Tolstoy's Death of Ivan Illyich - brilliant

Forgot to include Christos Yannaras' Freedom of Morality is superb. Loved it. Him and Zizilouas are fascinating thinkers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:17:09 AM by RobS »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5508 on: October 30, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »
I am as well:

Cool, I didn't know these existed! I'll have to get my own. Thanks for the heads up.

I just finished reading Saint Gregory of Nyssa's Life of Moses for the second time.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5509 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
Iconodule any opinions on St. Nicholas Cabasilas' two major Orthodox books?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5510 on: October 30, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »
Iconodule any opinions on St. Nicholas Cabasilas' two major Orthodox books?

I've only seen tiny snippets of them, so no opinion at all, other than that he's on the shortlist of people I need to read.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5511 on: October 30, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
I am as well:

Cool, I didn't know these existed! I'll have to get my own. Thanks for the heads up.

I just finished reading Saint Gregory of Nyssa's Life of Moses for the second time.

I should also add that MR James was an accomplished scholar and his translation of the New Testament apocrypha seems to be the standard English version (it's frequently cited in the English translation of Met Hilarion's Christ the Conqueror of Hell).

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5512 on: November 02, 2017, 11:00:46 PM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5513 on: November 02, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »
I should also add that MR James was an accomplished scholar and his translation of the New Testament apocrypha seems to be the standard English version (it's frequently cited in the English translation of Met Hilarion's Christ the Conqueror of Hell).

Huh, I didn't even notice! :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #5514 on: November 02, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »
I am as well:

You're welcome! I still need to get volume 2. I'm still experimenting with how much horror I can "take" with my newly squeamish post-surgery stomach.

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5515 on: November 04, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
Just finished Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, which I had to read after all the commotion on this thread about it! I enjoyed it.

Right now I am reading Khouria Krista West's The Garments of Salvation.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:53:22 PM by Antonis »

Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5516 on: November 06, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
Elder Gervasios (Paraskevopoulos) of Patras: His Life and Pastoral Work, by Hierodeacon Cyril Kostopoulos

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5517 on: November 07, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
Elder Gervasios (Paraskevopoulos) of Patras: His Life and Pastoral Work, by Hierodeacon Cyril Kostopoulos
Let us know how it goes. Those are my favorite kinds of books.

I am currently reading the first volume of Fr. Copleston's grand A History of Philosophy. This particular volume traces from the pre-Socratics to Plotinus. I highly recommend it for those interested in brushing up on the topic. It is very readable, and Fr. Copleston does not hide the fact that he writes from a Christian mindset (he was himself an Oxford-educated Thomist) while still managing to present each line of thought fairly.

Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5518 on: November 08, 2017, 12:22:19 AM »
Let us know how it goes. Those are my favorite kinds of books.

I'm most of the way done... I think the main problem is that there just isn't enough material included. It's kinda short overall (~25k words I'd say), but I also mean that it often goes over events in outline form without really getting into any depth. It just feels like the summary of a summary of his biography and beliefs. Maybe that was by design (something translated and published is better than nothing), but it leaves things feeling a bit threadbare.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5519 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:02 AM »

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5520 on: November 09, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
What I've been reading over the past week

John 1, 2, 3
1st Corinthians
a little bit from St. John Cassian's Conferences.
His Life is Mine by Elder Sophrony
Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom

My priest suggested I read something from St. Theophan the Recluse, but I'm allergic to anything Fr. Seraphim Rose has his name attached to. I shelved the Art of Prayer book but might go back to it.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5521 on: November 09, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »
Speaking of Fr. Seraphim Rose, anyone liked reading Christ The Eternal Tao? I don't care for how accurate it may or not be to Lao Tzu. I enjoy Christian writers/theologians who appropriate from other philosophies/religions/myths/etc. in understanding them in the light of Christ. The Church Fathers did it with Plato, Aristotle and other Greek philosophers. There can be some really interesting interpretations.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5522 on: November 09, 2017, 11:50:42 AM »
I've only skimmed through it at a bookstore, I liked what I saw. I saw a talk Fr. Damascene gave some years back, about his time in China hanging out with Daoist and Buddhist monks. The Buddhist monks weren't very friendly. The best thing they could say to him was, "Well you don't eat meat, so at least you're not going to hell like the other westerners". He seemed to have more common ground with the Daoists who are at least theistic.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #5523 on: November 10, 2017, 07:33:55 AM »
I've only skimmed through it at a bookstore, I liked what I saw. I saw a talk Fr. Damascene gave some years back, about his time in China hanging out with Daoist and Buddhist monks. The Buddhist monks weren't very friendly. The best thing they could say to him was, "Well you don't eat meat, so at least you're not going to hell like the other westerners". He seemed to have more common ground with the Daoists who are at least theistic.

So, another lie from Westerners is that Daoism is atheistic?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #5524 on: November 10, 2017, 07:34:53 AM »
Henry Chadwick's History of the Early Church (up to the Great Schism)

Walter Isaacson's Leonardo Da Vinci biography
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:35:14 AM by Volnutt »

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5525 on: November 10, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
In the spirit of the days:

Well. Reading it to the young one, a chapter a night. Me, with NaNo going on, I have barely enough brain cells unoccupied to follow my fanfic bookmarks.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5526 on: November 11, 2017, 12:37:23 AM »
The Monk; A Romance, by Matthew Lewis
Deification in Christ, by Panayiotis Nellas

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5527 on: November 11, 2017, 11:11:36 PM »
Speaking of Fr. Seraphim Rose, anyone liked reading Christ The Eternal Tao? I don't care for how accurate it may or not be to Lao Tzu. I enjoy Christian writers/theologians who appropriate from other philosophies/religions/myths/etc. in understanding them in the light of Christ. The Church Fathers did it with Plato, Aristotle and other Greek philosophers. There can be some really interesting interpretations.
I love it! Some parts got me a bit confused, but I'd trust Hieromonk Damascene on Taoism better than my post-Tao Te Ching intuition.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5528 on: November 11, 2017, 11:18:54 PM »

So, another lie from Westerners is that Daoism is atheistic?

Pretty much.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5529 on: November 12, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
In the spirit of the days:

Well. Reading it to the young one, a chapter a night. Me, with NaNo going on, I have barely enough brain cells unoccupied to follow my fanfic bookmarks.

I loved the movie.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5530 on: November 15, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »
St. Isaac's Homilies aren't working out to well with my prayer rule, it's not easy. I'm going to replace it with St. Gregory Palamas' Homilies for the Nativity Fast.

Still reading St. Silouan. He's like the opposite extreme of St. Isaac, deceptively simple but difficult. There some stuff in it that I don't understand what Elder Sophrony is talking about.

My Nativity Fast reading:

New Testament
Psalter
Art of Prayer
St. Gregory Palamas' Homilies
Fr. Hopko's Winter Pascha (thanks Dominika!)
St. Silouan the Athonite
St. Ephraim's A Spiritual Psalter
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:14:12 AM by RobS »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5531 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5532 on: November 16, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
Porter I need your help please. Is Robert Alter's single volume of Genesis the same translation found in his Five Books of Moses?

Also, since you agree with me that Lattimore's NT and Alter's translations are excellent do you have any other recommendations?

Seriously Lattimore's is a treasure, it's like reading the Scriptures with fresh eyes. The Gospels are so much clearer if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:32:57 AM by RobS »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5533 on: November 16, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
Seriously Lattimore's is a treasure, it's like reading the Scriptures with fresh eyes. The Gospels are so much clearer if that makes sense.

I used to have a copy of Lattomire's NT bundled with three other less mainstream translations. It fell apart (the pages literally separated from the spine; it was a really terrible binding job) and I didn't bother to look for it again since it had just come to me through circumstance in the first place. I'm kind of wishing I had now.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5534 on: November 16, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »
I find the Lattimore translation to be roughly just-ok. I guess +1 to the already long list of times I've been oblivious to good art   8)