Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1066904 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5310 on: July 17, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, by James Joyce

Now on Dubliners by Joyce, and it's a much more enjoyable read...

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5311 on: July 17, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »
I'm reading Dubliners right now too, incidentally.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #5312 on: July 17, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »
7 kummaa veljestä by Sandra Hagman

There was sale in a local bookstore a while back. Yay, cheap books!

Basically telling 7 stories of queer people and society around them from 7 different decades in Finland. Interesting to hear how recent the concept of, say, homosexuality actually is. Makes the present discussion of same-sex even more ridiculous.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5313 on: July 18, 2017, 12:39:47 AM »
I really need some fiction, I'll do a long trip and I don't like reading philosophy, religion or law without internet connection.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:39:59 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #5314 on: July 18, 2017, 02:21:22 AM »
Anyone read Philip K. Dick's novels? Just noticed that some of the movies I like are based or inspired by his books.  If I wanted to read something from him where I should start?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5315 on: July 18, 2017, 02:52:21 AM »
I really need some fiction, I'll do a long trip and I don't like reading philosophy, religion or law without internet connection.

Fernando Pessoa?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5316 on: July 18, 2017, 02:57:49 AM »

Fernando Pessoa?
Funny that you mention him, my father recently bought me his English Poems. Maybe I should finally read them instead of re-reading his Portuguese-language poetry for the thousandth time.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5317 on: July 18, 2017, 03:21:21 AM »
Have you read his Livro do Desassossego?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5318 on: July 18, 2017, 03:35:36 AM »
I just finished Chest of Bone by Vicki Stiefel in a single day a couple weeks ago.

I'm slowly working on The World Beyond Your Head by Matthew Crawford.

Offline Anthony1986

• Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #5319 on: July 18, 2017, 09:21:57 AM »
Philokalia
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5320 on: July 18, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »
I'm about to read The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5321 on: July 18, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
Just bought:
  • Introduction to Logics, by Cezar Mortari
  • The Art of Being Right, by Schopenhauer, commented by Olavo de Carvalho (Fabio Leite's teacher)
  • Essential French Grammar, by Seymour Resnick
I'll take them to the US along with the Organon (Aristotle) and GBWW, Volume 52 (Dostoyevsky).

Partially, but I still prefer Álvaro Campos among the heteronyms and the works actually signed by Pessoa even more. Have you? He's my favourite writer!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:40:22 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5322 on: July 18, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
Partially, but I still prefer Álvaro Campos among the heteronyms and the works actually signed by Pessoa even more. Have you? He's my favourite writer!

Yes I have what's here called his Book of Disquiet from my Brasilian friend. I used to find it affecting, but now I'm too old. She also sent me some of his English poems by e-mail.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5323 on: July 18, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »
My favourite one is Mensagem. It's a short mystical retelling of Portuguese history, with the expectation of an eschatological return of King Sebastian to restore the Portuguese Empire forever. An authentic symbolist-modernist (he was between both literary movements) epopee.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5324 on: July 18, 2017, 01:31:12 PM »
Wow I haven't seen épopée in a long time.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5325 on: July 18, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
Oh, we use epopeia a lot.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5326 on: July 18, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »

Well, sure, you're a romance language. Nice to see it's in your English too.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5327 on: July 18, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »

Well, English is just a dialect of Norman after all.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5328 on: July 18, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »

Take your time. You'll get your head wrapped around English eventually.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5329 on: July 18, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »

Take your time. You'll get your head wrapped around English eventually.

Don't you think you've taken this Rumspringa thing a bit too far? Maybe it's time to log off and churn the butter.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #5330 on: July 19, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
Read the first two chapters of Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky.

Why oh why did I not read this years ago, reading it is euphoric.

I have to talk with my priest about the Law of God, I have profound disagreements with it, especially the section on the attributes of God. It's just not true. The other sections might be OK, but I feel this work is so amatuerish, Lord forgive me. I need something more rigorous perhaps. It's not like I just bumbled into Orthodoxy yesterday. It's like Fr Hopko said, some books work for some and others do not.

I am also reading Fr. Hopko's rainbow series online but I have the paperbacks ordered.

Also I look forward to receiving Iconodule's recommendations too.

So much to read but so little time. I need to be unemployed lol.

"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5331 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »
Law of God is the ROCOR catechism. I remember being impressed by its comprehensiveness but it does show its age.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5332 on: July 19, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
Law of God is the ROCOR catechism. I remember being impressed by its comprehensiveness but it does show its age.
I will do as my priest asks, and I do keep a notebook of when disagreements arise or what is beneficial which I will share with him. Maybe I need to humble myself more, I want to start with the heavyweights but that could lead to pride. I have to start with milk before I can get to solid food.

You are right it is pretty comprehensive. I probably need to stop getting hung up over on those parts I have problems with.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5333 on: July 19, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5334 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »

What hip new orthodoxy its it too old to present?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5335 on: July 19, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »

Beard-and-Suspenders Mennodoxy.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5336 on: July 19, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »

Ouch!  ;D

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5337 on: July 19, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »

The world isn't ready.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5338 on: July 19, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »

The artist has depicted me accurately, but who is the lady I'm chasing? 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5339 on: July 19, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »
Read the first two chapters of Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky.

Why oh why did I not read this years ago, reading it is euphoric.

I've had this book on my shelf for quite a while. Embarrassed to say I haven't read it. I'm gonna dig into it tonight on your recommendation. Thanks!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5340 on: July 20, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
It's a great book and very readable (at least it was for me).

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5341 on: July 20, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
I agree, I was surprised by how readable it was considering I have heard from others of its difficulty. There are other Orthodox theology books out there that are much more difficult than Mystical Theology.

Even that said, I am slowly and carefully reading it while also taking notes on some of the more profound parts that force me to contemplate on them. One page I have practically every sentence marked with my notes in the margins.

So Gebre, I think you will find it immensely pleasurable read. You already have a solid background in Orthodox theology from what I have read of your writings, so you should find the book to be a treasure trove. It has been enormously helpful to me in getting the right, well how can I put this, "attitude" when it comes to the common faith which Lossky delves into.

I hope you enjoy it.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5342 on: July 20, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »
Iconodule,

I got with my priest regarding what I have been reading and he suggested I should read Orthodox Dogmatic Theology by Fr Pomazansky. He's aware that I'm, well how do I put this, beyond the basics of theology and would like me to read something more to my reading level if that makes sense.

I had the book like 5 years ago and I remember I enjoyed it. But I'm curious if you have any opinions on it or what I should be mindful of while I'm reading it.

Anyway so here's my reading for the next week:

Law of God - Divine Services section
St John's Gospel
Mystical Theology
Orthodox Dogmatic Theology
A chapter or two from Proverbs
A Psalm
The Creed
Sayings from the Desert Fathers, a few pages
Try to read a few Saint's lives.
Maybe I will start reading "Art of Prayer" as well, but my priest did not recommend it.
and of course continue to expand my prayer rule from not only just being the Evening prayers.

I need to get back to re-reading the Gospels, I keep finding my way back to Jewish Wisdom books like Ecclesiastes, Job, Proverbs, Sirach etc. (I'd throw in St. James Epistle here) because they are so profound. I need to be careful that my intellectualism doesn't lead to pride and intellectualizing the faith, rather than simply living it out.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:35:31 AM by nothing »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5343 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »
That's a lot in one week!

It's been a long time since I read Pomazansky's Orthodox Dogmatic Theology. As I recall, it's a very straightforward, no frills presentation of the major subjects. I recall only one issue I had, which is that I wish he went a little more into the theology of icons- he explains why they are not idolatrous, how the honor to the image passes to the prototype, but he doesn't explicitly make the connection with the incarnation, though he does do this for relics. That was just one nitpick on my part and it may not even be accurate.

I really like The Art of Prayer. When you say your priest doesn't recommend it, do you mean he just didn't mention it, or he actually said not to read it?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5344 on: July 20, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
That's a lot in one week!

It's been a long time since I read Pomazansky's Orthodox Dogmatic Theology. As I recall, it's a very straightforward, no frills presentation of the major subjects. I recall only one issue I had, which is that I wish he went a little more into the theology of icons- he explains why they are not idolatrous, how the honor to the image passes to the prototype, but he doesn't explicitly make the connection with the incarnation, though he does do this for relics. That was just one nitpick on my part and it may not even be accurate.

I really like The Art of Prayer. When you say your priest doesn't recommend it, do you mean he just didn't mention it, or he actually said not to read it?

Well in regards to the theology books I probably won't have the time to finish them in a week. It's not a requirement, thankfully.

I told Father that I'd like to focus more on praxis and prayer, which is why I showed him the Art of Prayer book to supplement my prayer rule and directing my heart, soul, mind to God in prayer. I told him I'm trying not to cognitively pray, but pray in the heart, which has been difficult.

Anyway it was more of him just generally not liking the book. He said it was OK for me to read it but it wasn't something he personally recommended. Perhaps that maybe because it's more geared towards serious monastics rather than just beginners. We didn't spend too much time talking about it as we got into other topics. He does love Lossky though.

But the focus for this upcoming week will be on the Creed, St. John's Gospel, reading the lives of a few saints, some of Orthodox Dogmatic Theology and Mystical Theology. I'll try to incorporate the other readings in my list as I have the time.

For personal pleasure I am reading the Complete Fenelon, which I highly recommend to any Christian. I have been reading parts of it during my commute to and from work.

It was interesting that he thought Fr. Hopko's Rainbow Series was too simplistic and the web version lacks images. I agree with Father that it allows certain things, like during the liturgical services, to stick if you have images. I believe the paperbacks do have a lot of pictures.

Speaking of which during the workday I am listening to Fr. Hopko's Spirit and Truth podcast on the Divine Liturgy which has been another huge help in understanding. I feel now like I can go to services and not stand there wondering what is going on. I'm still far from grasping it. Hopefully my readings in Law of God will illumine more.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:38:27 AM by nothing »

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5345 on: July 20, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »
I agree, I was surprised by how readable it was considering I have heard from others of its difficulty. There are other Orthodox theology books out there that are much more difficult than Mystical Theology.

Even that said, I am slowly and carefully reading it while also taking notes on some of the more profound parts that force me to contemplate on them. One page I have practically every sentence marked with my notes in the margins.

So Gebre, I think you will find it immensely pleasurable read. You already have a solid background in Orthodox theology from what I have read of your writings, so you should find the book to be a treasure trove. It has been enormously helpful to me in getting the right, well how can I put this, "attitude" when it comes to the common faith which Lossky delves into.

I hope you enjoy it.

So I began the book last night. I can already tell I'm going to need about five highlighters for this one. The book was given to me along with a bunch of others years ago when our Church moved to a new location. This book stood out because of its title, but I knew nothing about it. It's been on my shelf for years. Perhaps it is God's will that I begin to read it now. And as if I didn't need any other reason, check this out:

I posted a quote from the book on my FB page last night, and a FB friend left me this comment:

It is said that Albert Camus read this book shortly before passing away, was impressed and said "this is something I can discuss with".

So now my love for Camus has grown even stronger, and my eagerness to sink my teeth into Lossky's book is even greater.

The cynic says, "Thanks for nothing!" I say, "Thanks to Nothing!"  ;)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Anthony1986

• Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #5346 on: July 21, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »
The Orthodox Way by Kallistos Ware
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5347 on: July 22, 2017, 11:12:24 AM »
Speaking of this, hey Iconodule, if you want to respond to this, I'd like to ask you about modernism.

I recall you once called Kallistos Ware a modernist with his "liberal" views on issues like women ordination, uncritical acceptance of Darwinism, ecumenism and so on. I understand that "modernism" can mean many things depending on the context, but from an Orthodox Christian perspective how does one understand it and why one should be hostile towards it? I don't want to assume it merely means a deviation from the faith and tradition that has been handed down or an innovation in doctrine. Of course there are much more larger issues as far as the relationship one has to love, soul, death, God, truth, life and so on. On a superficial level, I also take modernism to have the idea where everything is reduced to a subjective experience, that one can decide truth for himself amongst a plethora of options. So for example today we can decide between various religions, new age beliefs and so on. But that was not the case in pre-modern times. If I had a time machine and went back to oh I dunno some small village during the Byzantine Empire in the 10th century, and talked to a villager about different religions he'd probably think I had gone mad! The notion of some kind of modern individuality of choosing or even creating truth never existed. Then of course in a, well I'm being vulgar and simplistic to keep this short, "postmodern" view all truth itself is constructed, there is ultimately no underlying truth. I kind of want to think postmodernism is modernism in hyperdrive, but a neat definition of it is pretty slippery.

Again I know how I am looking at one facet of modernism is very vulgar and this is obviously a topic that a lot of ink can be spilled over, but I'm more interested in what you take modernism to be, how one can identify that in Orthodox writings and perhaps even beyond that. My view of the Orthodox Church is that it is totally not modern, but I wouldn't say anti-modern because that would suggest in some opposition to it...which I'm not sure how that could be because the Church never arose in reaction to modernism. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd rather adopt G.K. Chesteron's "enchanted" or romantic view of the world which is something profoundly lost after the Enlightenment. To be a Christian is to be a true romantic, would you agree?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:19:47 AM by nothing »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5348 on: July 24, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
Read the first part of Wounded by Love this weekend. I chose this book to be part of my reading the lives of the saints and I decided to pick a more contemporary saint.

There's one story in it that I'm not sure I understand the meaning. It's when St. Porphyrios is confronted by an American who is fleeing from the police from murdering his wife. He repents and St. Porphyrios lets him continue on his way. The following morning the police ask St. Porphyrios if he had seen that American man and he tells them he did not.

So what is the meaning of this story? That God forgives regardless of the sin and His mercy and forgiveness is different than worldly-sought punishment (the police)? Or is it the times where lying can be virtuous and leaving the man's fate ultimately up to God? He repented, absolved so it seem that St. Porphyrios no longer needs to meddle in the man's life by telling the police where he went.

I'm just not sure what to make of it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:40:24 AM by nothing »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5349 on: July 24, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
Speaking of this, hey Iconodule, if you want to respond to this, I'd like to ask you about modernism.

I recall you once called Kallistos Ware a modernist with his "liberal" views on issues like women ordination, uncritical acceptance of Darwinism, ecumenism and so on.

I probably did say that but my feelings have changed on most of these issues (I also think The Orthodox Way is a really good intro to Orthodox spirituality). Not that I am particularly in favor of women's ordination or pointless wine-and-dines at the WCC but they don't jump out to me as existential crises of the Church. I also think it's hard to deny that Met Kallistos has a point when he says that the reasons why women should not be ordained have not been articulated very well.

As you say, "modernism" and "modernity" are both catch-all terms that are not very useful and I try not to lean on them very much. There are a number of specific ideas traceable to the Enlightenment or Renaissance (e.g. the neo-Epicureanism that more or less morphed into modern science) but a catch-all rejection of "modernism" seems very thorny to me nowadays.

My view of the Orthodox Church is that it is totally not modern, but I wouldn't say anti-modern because that would suggest in some opposition to it...which I'm not sure how that could be because the Church never arose in reaction to modernism. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd rather adopt G.K. Chesteron's "enchanted" or romantic view of the world which is something profoundly lost after the Enlightenment. To be a Christian is to be a true romantic, would you agree?

It seems to me that Orthodoxy is definitely not simply a relic of bygone age but has lived, breathed, and grown with the times. That doesn't mean we uncritically swallow everything but the Church is as much modern as it was once Roman, medieval Russian, etc. The way we do things, the way we learn, speak about, and practice the faith, is thoroughly modern, though that doesn't mean it is cut off from the ancient roots.

An re-enchantment of the world is a project I broadly agree with provided it does not devolve into dreaming with eyes open, fantasy, retreating into some synthetic community, etc.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5350 on: July 24, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
Rooting through my shelves, I re-discovered my copy of John H Erickson's The Challenge of Our Past.

Though it's written in that tone that Orthodox and Catholic academic writing adopted in the 80s, some parts of it are pretty good. I liked the essays about historical understandings of penance and divorce, but some of the other essays are pretty skim worthy. Since none of the chapters really build on each other (they were originally separate essays/speeches gathered into one volume), I've been just skipping around as my interest dictates.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5351 on: July 24, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »
that tone that Orthodox and Catholic academic writing adopted in the 80s

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this. Any examples?

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5352 on: July 24, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »

Imagine Schmemann had a concise editor who then adapted his work to sound like the '92 CCC.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5353 on: July 24, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »

Imagine Schmemann had a concise editor who then adapted his work to sound like the '92 CCC.

Maybe a more concrete (and widely read) example of what it reminds me of comes from the other side of the ecclesial fence — Jerome Kodell's Eucharist in the New Testament.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:20:39 PM by Agabus »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5354 on: July 24, 2017, 05:52:50 PM »
The Garden of Heaven: Poems of Hafez
The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells