OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 05:14:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 376147 times) Average Rating: 5
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #315 on: August 04, 2006, 07:16:39 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=3406.msg130285#msg130285 date=1154655870]
Morgenthau doesn't sound like an Armenian name.  Wink Could it be true  Shocked.
[/quote]

It actually gets worse. Ambassador Morgenthau was a German-born Jewish American!
At any rate, the book is available to read online as well: http://www.cilicia.com/morgenthau/MorgenTC.htm
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:25:59 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #316 on: August 04, 2006, 10:04:53 AM »

How Few Remain, by Harry Turtledove.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »

Mounce, Basics of Biblical Greek
Plato, The Trial and Death of Socrates
Ross, Y., Ethics in Law
Warraq, I., The Origins of the Koran

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2006, 09:36:30 AM »

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl
On the Dormition of Mary - Early Patristic Homilies SVS Press

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
suzannes

« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2006, 10:55:51 AM »

Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.  For a church book-group.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2006, 12:29:05 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

Finishing up the Gospel of St. John and I'll be starting the Epistle to the Romans afterwards.  Does anyone know of any good commentaries on Romans?  Any recommendations would be great.

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2006, 11:44:29 PM »

Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.  For a church book-group.

I REALLY got bogged down on that book. Strange because I thought Toilers of the Sea was one of the best books I have ever read (in translation, of course).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2006, 05:02:14 PM »

I'm currently reading, "St. John Chrysostom- Six Books On the Priesthood."

I've only read some of the book, and it's amazing! Looking forward to the next chapter.

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2006, 05:41:04 PM »

That was an interesting text by St. John, though I think it's sort of funny how he rationalizes his deception of his friend. Not that I think he's wrong or did anything immoral, it's just that if someone did the same today and tried to excuse it away, the traditionalists (and even most moderate Orthodox) would be all over him as having sinned, and yet here is one of the most celebrated saints of the Orthodox Church doing that kind of thing. Anyway, the widespread and accepted use of deception in Church history is another topic altogether... maybe I'll make a thread on that, since it's not really fair for me to just let that hanging out there Smiley

As far as what I've been reading, it's mostly been articles here and there on the internet, with the only book that I've been giving any real time to being Critiques of God: Making the Case Against Belief in God (Ed. by Peter A Angeles). It's been a bit dry, so far. There are a couple essays by Freud and Dewey coming up though... those should be entertaining, if not totally agreeable.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2006, 06:59:06 PM »

Mounce, Basics of Biblical Greek
Plato, The Trial and Death of Socrates
Ross, Y., Ethics in Law
Warraq, I., The Origins of the Koran

How do you like the Koran book so far?
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2006, 09:25:47 PM »

Angelina Jolie - Notes from My Travels
(not kidding  Smiley )
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #326 on: August 14, 2006, 12:24:48 AM »

Angelina Jolie - Notes from My Travels
(not kidding  Smiley )

I actually bought that book when it came out...I started reading it, but for some reason never got drawn in. I was very into all she had done and all the personal changes it seemed to cause in her, but the book just didn't do it for me...I'd be curious as to what you think of it once you finish.

As for what I'm currently reading: I'm perpetually rereading Lord of the Rings, also rereading a fantasy series by Robert Jordan called The Wheel of Time (I'm on Crown of Swords), then there's The Mystery of Christ: Life in Death by Fr. John Behr (very good, this, if challenging at points, but worth the work it takes to get through, definitely), and Into the Wild by John Krakauer.

D

hmmmm...
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #327 on: August 14, 2006, 01:58:30 AM »

On the Dormition of Mary - Early Patristic Homilies SVS Press
On the Dormition of Mary what did you think of the introduction and what did you think of the first writing in the text?
I had some issues though I greatly enjoyed the work.

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:59:26 AM by Panagiotis » Logged

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #328 on: August 14, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »

On the Dormition of Mary what did you think of the introduction and what did you think of the first writing in the text?
I had some issues though I greatly enjoyed the work.
Panagiotis,
Greeting you on the Feast of Our Blessed Mother's Dormition (and thinking of the roast turkey sandwich I'm having for lunch tomorrow!)
I also enjoyed the collection of homilies.  If I may ask, what are some of the issues you had?
As far as the first text of John of Thessalonica, it is very similar to the pious legends of the holy day I was taught in my youth.
CR

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2006, 12:26:52 AM »

As far as the first text of John of Thessalonica, it is very similar to the pious legends of the holy day I was taught in my youth.
The issue I had was not with the legends, its was with the Primacy of Peter and his being chosen to be the "leader of the Apostles" as was stated. Whereas it was never mentioned among the others from what I remembered. Other than that, it touched my heart greatly and gave me great strength in my devotion and intercessory prayer life.

Greeting you on the Feast of Our Blessed Mother's Dormition
Thank you, good sir and may Her intercessions grant us grace from our Lord of Heaven!

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »

At the moment I´m reading The Cronicles vol I by Bob Dylan. Last year it was published in Finnish translation, but I try to manage with the authors´ own words...
Bob writes, that he´s not a profet of the young/ old generation - but "the poet singer."

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #331 on: August 16, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »

"Autobiography of Malcolm X" with Alex Haley.

Reads like a novel, the man had a fascinating life. He is one of my heroes.Strange coming from a white, ethnic working class background turned white collar professional dude, but I admire his guts not only to change himself but to try to effect change on a larger sphere. Guts to stand up to hypocrisy even at a cost to himself, his pride, his finances.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
kansas city

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #332 on: August 16, 2006, 05:48:21 PM »

As for the Angelina Jolie book..  I feel bad saying that it feels superficial and naive but... it's Angelina Jolie writing a diary on her first impressions of refugee camps, demining campaigns, generally adverse conditions and hostile environments.

Lots of redundant definitions and general statistics. 

She also keeps saying, "I feel bad complaining, these people have nothing, but..."

I guess i'm still reading hoping for a change toward an insightful, less emotive Angelina to come out with some real commentary, more interesting cameos and an interesting travelogue... She's only got a couple of chapters left though.

In other news I heard she moved out and took the kids... I really thought they'd work.  I should repost that in other topics and get a real all american thread goin
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2006, 07:52:06 PM »

The issue I had was not with the legends, its was with the Primacy of Peter and his being chosen to be the "leader of the Apostles" as was stated.
I didn't pick up on that when reading John of Thessalonica's account of the Dormition.  However, I don't see an issue with it as the Church has no issue with the "primacy" of Peter among the Apostles.  To quote a stichera from the feast (Glory verse of the Aposticha, tone 4), "At Your departing, O Virgin Theotokos, to Him who was ineffably born of You, James the first bishop and brother of the Lord was there, as so was Peter, the honored leader and chief of the disciples, and the whole sacred fellowship of the apostles."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:53:08 PM by Carpatho Russian » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #334 on: November 22, 2006, 07:07:05 AM »

I'm finally onto a new batch of books for study:

1) Lambdin, T.O., Introduction to Sahidic Coptic

2) Varipatis, Fr. C., Marriage and the Freedom of the Human Person: Based on the Poetry of ArchBishop Stylianos of Australia

3) Breck, J., Scripture in Tradition

4) A range of commentaries on the Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil by Fr. Abram Sleman, Fr. Athanasius Iskander and Fr. James Soliman.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #335 on: November 22, 2006, 04:20:58 PM »

I'm reading The Decline of the Secular University, a new book by my former professor, C. John Sommerville.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #336 on: November 23, 2006, 12:00:09 AM »

Sociology for my class.

"Tales of the Otori" volume 3 by Lian Hearn: "Brilliance of the Moon". The first two books are "Across the Nightingale Floor" and "Grass for His Pillow".  These are novels sent in an imagined period of Japanese history that has elements of several centuries.  One interesting aspect is a group of people called "The Hidden" which while not explicitly Christian, have some relation to the "Kakure Kirishitan" the "Hidden Christians" who were groups of believers who kept the faith as best as they could with limited resources and a danger of death if discovered following the "Closing" of Japan and the explusion of Christianity.

A biography of Tokugawa Ieyesu

and more of course.  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
BlakeMichael
Catechumen

« Reply #337 on: November 29, 2006, 08:25:57 AM »

The Law of God by Archpriest Seraphim Slobodskoy. It's a blessing.

It is not possible without temptations for a man to grow wise in spiritual warfare, to know his Provider and perceive his God, and to be secretly confirmed in his faith, save by virtue of the experience which he has gained. - Saint Isaac of Syria
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #338 on: November 29, 2006, 01:12:14 PM »

Just finished Hillybilly Gothic:a memoir of madness and motherhood by A. Martini.  Excellent book, especially for those of us who suffered a bout of PPD...even if not to this iextent.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #339 on: December 02, 2006, 06:01:25 AM »

Just got done reading Religions of Star Trek. It was a lot more superficial in dealing with the material than I expected, especially considering that there were three professors writing it. There was no examination of Picard's lines from Who Watches the Watchers, where he basically condemns religion as delusions and instead endorses a version of scientism. There is no examination of the fact that the Bajoran "Emissary" (and starfleet officer) Sisko is willing to commit mass-murder and/or genocide more than once, and how the Bajorans might feel about such morality. It's just your normal "Ardra represents the Devil" sort of stuff.

Just started reading Babylonian Life and History by Budge.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #340 on: December 02, 2006, 09:13:36 AM »

Just got done reading Religions of Star Trek. It was a lot more superficial in dealing with the material than I expected, especially considering that there were three professors writing it. There was no examination of Picard's lines from Who Watches the Watchers, where he basically condemns religion as delusions and instead endorses a version of scientism. There is no examination of the fact that the Bajoran "Emissary" (and starfleet officer) Sisko is willing to commit mass-murder and/or genocide more than once, and how the Bajorans might feel about such morality. It's just your normal "Ardra represents the Devil" sort of stuff.

I made the mistake of reading The Physics of Star Trek once, now I realize it's pop science, but considering the type of people actually likely to buy such a book I thought that they might at least present the basics of the theory and a few fundamental equations...not an equation throughout the book and such a basic overview of the science that many things that were said were wrong...oh, and the guy who wrote it had a Ph.D. in physics, if I recall properly...I resolved then to never read any more popular science or 'of Star Trek' books again...I'd rather read a good Journal Article any day Smiley
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 09:14:16 AM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #341 on: January 04, 2007, 08:21:12 AM »

Started Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel Dennett yesterday. I've never read a book of his before, though I've seen a couple lengthy interviews. (also, fwiw, Dennett was recently in the hospital, which spurred him on to write a short letter titled Thank Goodness!)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 08:23:26 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #342 on: January 04, 2007, 08:26:36 PM »

Started a few days ago reading The Fourth Crusade and the Sack of Constantinople by Nathan Phillips. I've only read the intro so far but it's one of those descriptive and thought provoking books you think about all the time  Wink.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #343 on: January 04, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »

Sloga

We should maybe start a thread on that some time. I think you're the second or third person to mention that book on this thread, and I've read that one as well. 

PS. To whom it may concern, is there some reason that my name is a tag?  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 08:37:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #344 on: January 04, 2007, 08:55:06 PM »

I just finished The Mighty and the Almighty by Madeline Albright, which was rather disappointing.  Right now, I'm reading Active Liberty by Justice Stephen Breyer.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #345 on: January 04, 2007, 09:05:06 PM »

I've just started reading The Plainchant Tradition of Southwestern Rus by Joan Roccasalvo.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 09:14:40 PM by Carpatho Russian » Logged

AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #346 on: January 04, 2007, 10:25:33 PM »

I've just started reading The Plainchant Tradition of Southwestern Rus by Joan Roccasalvo.

I'm going to have to get that.

I'm getting ready to start "Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq".  I just finished "Homestead: The Glory and Tragedy of an American Steel Town". 

I also read Diego Saves the Treefrogs tonight.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:17:33 PM by welkodox » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #347 on: January 05, 2007, 12:08:54 AM »

J. F. C. Fuller's The Second World War, 1939-1945: a strategical and tactical history

Very interesting guy, Major-General during WWI serving with distinction in His Majesty's Army, celebrated inter-war theorist, friend of Hart and Guderian not to mention close friend and ally of Sir Oswald Mosley and leading member of the British Union of Fascists, even an acquaintance to Hitler, on top of that he was an occultist and one of the earlier western authors on pagan and far-eastern mysticism...but most of all he was a brilliant military theorist and prolific historian. It's unfortunate that the liberal pc crowd dismiss him because of his political ideology, his objectivity and intelligence far surpasses his peers and as a result his insights are magnificent and unique. Some of the best analysis of latter wars, including Vietnam, out there are little more than a plagiarism of Fuller's military theory, a theory developed in the inter-war era at that (he is to military history what Goebbels is to rhetoric, the Master that everyone reads, and every aspires towards, but no one will admit to).

I'm about half way through this book and I've already come to the conclusion that an understanding of the principles presented is essential to being capable of competently discussing the second world war...it certainly forced me to re-evaluate many deeply held convictions about the war that simply wern't true.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
AMM
Archon

« Reply #348 on: January 05, 2007, 01:10:50 AM »

Diego saves the treefrogs had a similar effect on me.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #349 on: January 05, 2007, 04:22:38 AM »

"Homestead: The Glory and Tragedy of an American Steel Town"

I grew up near Homestead, PA and as a result this book has become personal to me having seen, heard and smelled first hand the steel industry.

I am also on an extended run re-reading Hansel and Gretel.  What a violent and mean spirited book, that step-mother and the old witch.  Shocked

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »

Diego saves the treefrogs had a similar effect on me.

It sounds like a profound literary work. Wink

AMM
Archon

« Reply #351 on: January 05, 2007, 12:58:59 PM »

Baby Jaguar is an amazingly complex character.  Not everybody realizes that.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #352 on: January 06, 2007, 09:28:44 PM »

For complex you should count Swiper.... After all, he will gleefully take things but is stopped cold by the triple "Swiper!  No Swiping!"  Just why would that work?

Cheesy

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #353 on: January 08, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »

At the same time: Peter Anson, Bishops at Large (cautionary tales for high churchmen) and Paul Hendrickson, Seminary: A Search (pre-Vatican II RC as it really was; maybe high-school seminaries weren't such a good idea). Next: The Apostolic Fathers edited by Fr Jack Sparks.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2007, 11:57:38 AM »

Right now, I'm reading The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James for my philosophy class (or I'm at least pretending well enough to pass my exams).

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
cholmes

« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2007, 04:51:07 PM »

Heading down the home stretch of "The Brothers Karamazov."

AncientFaith

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2007, 04:56:25 PM »

Heading down the home stretch of "The Brothers Karamazov."

Too many different books on my count Smiley

1.  Just downloaded Brothers Karamazov to my new Sony Reader - cool toy that my boss gave out to his leadership team - nice boss!

2.  The Road to Serfdom

3.  St. Cyril of Jerusalem

4.  Orthodox Psychotherapy (wonderful book, but I have to take it in small doses).

5.  Thinking about starting "Storming the Barricades" (Chess book)

---
Patrick
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #357 on: January 13, 2007, 04:49:05 PM »

Last week, I read Disraeli, by Andre Maurois. This week I have opted for a most profound literary work; Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony.  Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #358 on: January 13, 2007, 06:00:09 PM »

What I worked on/ am finishing over break:
Conversations with Czeslaw Milosz
The Power of the Powerless and other Essays by Vaclav Havel et al
Dead Souls by Gogol
Fathers and Sons by Turgenev
Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard
The Sickness unto Death by Kierkegaard

I'm taking a class on Dostoevsky next semester with this reading list:
Crime and Punishment
The Idiots
The Possed/The Demons
The Brothers Karamazov
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #359 on: January 13, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »

Kamil, J., Christianity in the Land of the Pharoahs: The Coptic Orthodox Church.
Pelikan, J., Acts

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: