OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 07:42:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 372096 times) Average Rating: 5
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #4095 on: August 17, 2014, 06:10:25 AM »

Although it's far from an Orthodox book, The Closing of the American Mind by Alan Bloom.

One of the more overrated books of the last century. Every now and then he's right in his criticism of the ideas of his opponents, although he overstates the importance that relativism holds in the minds of his opponents. His own ideas, though, are not much better either. His strict universalism, for example, is in many cases as bizarre as the relativism he so consistently critizes, and despite taking issue with the relativists much of his ideas about literature come from Nietzsche. He also has the tendency to see western philosophy and literature before the 20th century as a continuous and harmonious whole, which, of course, it wasn't.

He is often unable to avoid sounding like a ranting old man, complaining on how x, y and z were so much better in his days, which makes the book hard to enjoy. All arguments of merit in his book has been said better elsewhere, and those that are new are bizarre and often contradicted by the author without himself noting it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:44:13 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #4096 on: August 18, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »

Although it's far from an Orthodox book, The Closing of the American Mind by Alan Bloom.

One of the more overrated books of the last century. Every now and then he's right in his criticism of the ideas of his opponents, although he overstates the importance that relativism holds in the minds of his opponents. His own ideas, though, are not much better either. His strict universalism, for example, is in many cases as bizarre as the relativism he so consistently critizes, and despite taking issue with the relativists much of his ideas about literature come from Nietzsche. He also has the tendency to see western philosophy and literature before the 20th century as a continuous and harmonious whole, which, of course, it wasn't.

He is often unable to avoid sounding like a ranting old man, complaining on how x, y and z were so much better in his days, which makes the book hard to enjoy. All arguments of merit in his book has been said better elsewhere, and those that are new are bizarre and often contradicted by the author without himself noting it.

The book made a huge impression the first time I read it (2 years ago), but I was rather disappointed this time around for many of the reasons you mentioned above.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4097 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »

What are you "reading" this for?

It was available at the library, so I decided to give it a shot. At 1000+ pages I should have figured I wouldn't come anywhere close to finishing it, which I didn't.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #4098 on: August 18, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »

A second heavyweight, 'Saint Cyril of Alexandria and the Christological Controversy, Fr John McGuckin, published by SVS.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4099 on: August 18, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »

Who was the first heavyweight? Huh

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4100 on: August 18, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »

In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development, by Carol Gilligan

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4101 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »

Hostage to the Devil, by Fr. Martin Malachi. Superb story telling, terrifying subject matter.

What Happened at Vatican II, by John W. O'Malley. Because I want to know.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Alxandra

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4102 on: August 18, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »

My Life in Christ by St John of  Kronstadt and  The Hermitess Photini by Archimandrite Joachim Spetsieris

Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #4103 on: August 18, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »

Peter the Great: His Life and World by Robert K. Massie.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4104 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:45 AM »

Hostage to the Devil, by Fr. Martin Malachi. Superb story telling, terrifying subject matter.

Incredible book! One of my favorites.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4105 on: August 22, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »

Mind, Brain, and Free Will, by Richard Swinburne

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4106 on: August 22, 2014, 06:27:27 PM »

Peter the Great: His Life and World by Robert K. Massie.

Good book. I got it in paperback for Christmas when I was a kid.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
liefern

Faith: Catholic exploring Orthodoxy with serious intent
Jurisdiction: USA

« Reply #4107 on: August 22, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »

Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works by Hieromonk Damascene.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4108 on: August 23, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »

I Love Jesus & I Accept Evolution, by Denis O. Lamoureux.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Indocern

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: by God

« Reply #4109 on: August 23, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »

Orthodox Bible.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4110 on: August 23, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »

Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works by Hieromonk Damascene.

Wonderful book!

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4111 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »

Anathem / Neal Stephenson.

He went too far. He really shudda kept with the pulpier shorter stuff. This was by far his worst effort.
Have you read ReamDe? Thought the same as you about Anathem, but ReamDe is a worse attempt at swinging the other direction.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4112 on: August 26, 2014, 01:38:29 AM »

Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments, by Soren Kierkegaard

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #4113 on: August 26, 2014, 02:49:16 AM »

Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments, by Soren Kierkegaard

The last true word in Western philosophy.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4114 on: August 26, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »

Started it tonight with the young one. Much hilarity ensued. Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #4115 on: September 01, 2014, 11:02:02 PM »

The Wahls Protocol ~ Terry Wahls, MD (Health/Nutrition)
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #4116 on: September 01, 2014, 11:45:43 PM »

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4117 on: September 02, 2014, 12:18:26 AM »

Zinn definitely has some valid insights regarding the evils and injustices that accompanied the founding of America. Which is why I actually have so little respect for him. Anyone who can so clearly see the evils perpetrated against Native Americans and slaves has no excuse for their militant support of abortion.

Selam

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #4118 on: September 02, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »

Zinn definitely has some valid insights regarding the evils and injustices that accompanied the founding of America. Which is why I actually have so little respect for him. Anyone who can so clearly see the evils perpetrated against Native Americans and slaves has no excuse for their militant support of abortion.

Selam

The Indians? I don't think slaves had as much self-autonomy in that respect.

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4119 on: September 02, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »

Selam

I meant Howard Zinn's support of abortion, not the Native Americans.

Selam

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4120 on: September 02, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »

Selam

I love it when people who complain about political correctness use the singular "they".

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4121 on: September 02, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »

He went too far. He really shudda kept with the pulpier shorter stuff. This was by far his worst effort.
Have you read ReamDe? Thought the same as you about Anathem, but ReamDe is a worse attempt at swinging the other direction.
I am no expert at literature, so I was curious how Neal "goes to far?"  I read it because I was intrigued by the author's imagination of a world that has monasteries devoted to math, in addition to religion.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:09:59 AM by Gamliel » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4122 on: September 02, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »

Selam

I love it when people who complain about political correctness use the singular "they".

As I said in the prior post, I was referring to Howard Zinn not Native Americans. And I never mentioned political correctness.

Selam
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:40:00 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4123 on: September 03, 2014, 07:53:04 AM »

Selam

As I said in the prior post, I was referring to Howard Zinn

So why didn't you say "he"?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ikonos
O' Lord, Sinner though I am, make me worthy of thy Mysteries

Faith: Baptised Anglican, heading to Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Christendom

Kyrios Iesous Christos Santa Maria

« Reply #4124 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:42 AM »

Half way through reading the 50 Spiritual Homilies (and Apophtegmata III) of Saint Macarius of Egypt.
Heavy going in places, but every now and then real Spiritual jewels are unveiled.
I did not know such material existed - how did this get past censors?
Some say it's pseudo-graphical.

Pity more of it has not yet been translated from the Greek.

http://macariusofegypt.referata.com/wiki

In a fallen state of captivity, I seek to exchange Pearls of Wisdom with the few repentant Philokalists who roam this domain.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4125 on: September 03, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »

Selam

As I said in the prior post, I was referring to Howard Zinn

So why didn't you say "he"?

I guess I made a grammatical error.

Selam

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4126 on: September 03, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »

Just started 'Grave Doubts' by Elizabeth Corley. Good so far.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #4127 on: September 03, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »

I am no expert at literature, so I was curious how Neal "goes to far?"  I read it because I was intrigued by the author's imagination of a world that has monasteries devoted to math, in addition to religion.

If by "imagination" you mean "knowledge of ancient history." Wink (The Pythagoreans.)

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4128 on: September 04, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »

Philosophical Fragments, by Soren Kierkegaard

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #4129 on: September 04, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »

wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

How's this avatar, Mor? An angel! Profane not!

« Reply #4130 on: September 07, 2014, 02:23:07 AM »

Some of the "Canterbury Tales" in Middle English for school. Really quite fun, especially the bawdy stuff. The Wife of Bath is fun. And the "Miller's Tale". And it really all sounds best in Middle English. Once you get down the pronunciation it's not that hard. It only helps to have a good copy with notes for words where meaning is not clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU

Aristotle says in the Metaphysics that "in mathematics goodness does not exist." It is a rather great quote to show to any math teacher when they tell you how important math is. Give them a riddle: I am not tall, I am not short, nor big nor take up any space but simply am. I have no name but I am.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #4131 on: September 07, 2014, 02:53:40 AM »

It was a good critique of the Papacy, I had some problems with it. He seems to just assume Roman Catholicism is "true" and that as a given, interprets every criticism in that light. He comes to the same conclusion that Orthodox do, that the Church as a whole is infallible, not the man in the office. I also had problems with the way he made his criticisms, much of it was very "Scholastic" and not very "noteworthy" if you know what I mean. It's good to use logic to make points, but when it comes to a certain philosophical position that he takes as a given, and doesn't see the point of view of outsiders in his critique, it really loses it's staying power.

Maybe 3/5 stars. It's very much oriented to a Roman Catholic audience.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:00:34 AM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #4132 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:31 AM »

The Hindustan Times, which tends not to give me indigestion after Sunday lunch. Cheesy
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4133 on: September 07, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #4134 on: September 07, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »

John Motley - Siege of Leyden.

The celebration of the lifting of the siege is coming up again soon, and I wanted to see what English sources had to say about it. The description of Leyden and the siege were very flattering up to the point of sycophancy. Enough to bring a blush to my face. Quite nice, quite nice.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:23:43 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4135 on: September 08, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »

Being and Having: An Existentialist Diary, by Gabriel Marcel

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4136 on: September 09, 2014, 12:39:02 AM »

I tried to read that once. But as I read it I kept thinking that it would be better to have a sandwich and a beer.

Selam

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #4137 on: September 09, 2014, 02:25:55 AM »

I tried to read that once. But as I read it I kept thinking that it would be better to have a sandwich and a beer.

Selam

Much better his young peer Levinas.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4138 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:22 AM »

Selam

Much better his young peer Levinas.

I didn't actually try to read it. Just my weak attempt at humor.

Selam

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #4139 on: September 09, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »

Very recommended.

http://s394334551.e-shop.info/shop/article_18/The-Art-of-Salvation.html?sessid=8sX5Mz6Z0HCvH331UWKNb6Mrkp0Lxzb3nlgxWh6IsiZJJhbm8cuChRNRdOCqQv7V&shop_param=cid%3D2%26aid%3D18%26

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: